Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#445459 - 31/01/2008 11:28 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Wiltipoll Offline

Does anyone have any information or suggestions on large scale worm farm methods, and methods of spreading worm manure onto areas of 1 to 2 acres? I want to improve such an area of pretty dead soil so as to establish a small pasture. I have no tractor....

#445460 - 02/02/2008 08:08 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Cascade Offline

Loc: Jindera, near Albury/Wodonga.
I use a product called "NUTRISOIL LS", worm castings plus other minerals.It is manufactured locally here. www.nutrisoil.com.au ,well worth a read.

#445461 - 26/04/2008 11:36 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I haven't got a worm farm but we are contemplating a "Tree Change" in the next few years. One of the things I have doing some research on was permaculture (sustanable living - no I am an ominvore not a mung bean muncher) and this in turn led me to worm farms. I was recommended this website as a means of handling all human and vegetation/plant waste, animal waste products, garden compost etc. I was listening to a program on ABC Regional about a bloke in the south coast of NSW who turned his over grown. erosion gully filled 10 acre farm back into productive land by using the is system after destocking and getting rid of most of the rabbits and roos. He put the roo and rabbit carcasses in the biodigetser as well.

Worm Farm waste System

It can be readily installed on an exisiting septic system or on any newly installed septic system. Might be what you are looking for a couple of acres. Depending on what you want to use the plants you are growing for of course.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#445462 - 29/04/2008 00:44 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Loc: Not tellin!
Well we may see this type of thing become more common on farms as the carbon credit rules start to bit into the fertilizers that are used by most farmers today. The fertilizers we use are shipped in from overseas and are being blamed for some of the emissions that farms are apparently releasing. We will certainly see further ises in price of the fertilizer to account for the making and transporting of the stuff and then we will be taxed for using it. Combined with all the other imputs that will attract carbon tax, we coule well be back at square one in the costs v profit crisis we have just emerged from. If so you may see a big reduction of area sown to crops and either replanted to trees of shifting to livestock. Supply and demand may stop some of this but the risks of large losses may become too much of a risk for large farms to have a punt on a crop. Would very much like to have a time machine to figure out how this will pan out for farmers in the future.

Kyoto could be a precursor to widespread hunger and possibly even famine for a huge chunk of the population. It may sound like a sensationalist thingd to say but just look at the riots going on around the world about food prices and you can see that any further increase in demand and a drop in production could well spark off famines in the poorest countries around the world. Big Al and his pals better start preparing to give craploads of money to the world food program.

#1262009 - 02/05/2014 12:56 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms [Re: adon]
monoply Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Central Vic
Hi Adon,

Just wondering if there is any updates on your no kill cropping trails, and also your earth worm breeding?

Ive played with some no kill cropping, but find the weed competition is very savage, so like your self, still working out the best times to so, manage, etc.

Cheers
mono

#1279502 - 11/10/2014 10:23 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms [Re: monoply]
adon Offline

Loc: Not tellin!
Originally Posted By: monoply
Hi Adon,

Just wondering if there is any updates on your no kill cropping trails, and also your earth worm breeding?

Ive played with some no kill cropping, but find the weed competition is very savage, so like your self, still working out the best times to so, manage, etc.

Cheers
mono

Hey mate I gave it a go but like you I found that the competition was pretty full on and typical i
Of mallee seasons, the spring was dry so nothing much came of it. However it was good sheep feed so a win of sorts.

I looked a little more into NKC and also pasture cropping and I reckon that in order for it to work here, I would have to first improve the soil structure and also address the annuals that are dominant in the winter. Also pasture cropping works well where the native perennials have a dormant season. That for us at the moment is summer, the dry season. So maybe this will always struggle.

Since trying this method I have came to the conclusion that for my situation, cropping is just too risky no matter how I do it. Therefore I am looking into just using stock as my harvesters.

I am now trying to introduce Holistic livestock management into the farm. It's basically doing the same thing but not trying to harvest grain. I will also plant "primer crops" that are basically a very diverse mix of crop plants (as many as I can get a hold of). Once these have got a to a certain point in their growth, smash them down with very high density, short duration grazing. Leaving a lot of the plant matter of the surface for soil health. This will improve the soil structure and microbial activity and also organic carbon level which are basically zero.

Maybe in time, I could give NKC another crack but in reality it was designed for grazing off anyway and only occasionally would it make it through to harvest. My whole point is reducing costs to a minimum and letting nature do it's thing instead of imposing my will on it.

#1279516 - 11/10/2014 12:08 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms [Re: SBT]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Originally Posted By: SBT
I haven't got a worm farm but we are contemplating a "Tree Change" in the next few years. One of the things I have doing some research on was permaculture (sustanable living

Wow, i wouldn't have believed that statement unless i head read it with my own two eyes! wink

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
6 registered (Wave Rider, Matt Pearce, Remy, EddyG, Stargate, 1 invisible), 258 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Greg Spencer, K-Town King, sammyb79
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23642 Topics
1456422 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image