Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#445439 - 20/08/2005 15:44 Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Not tellin!
Our local cropping research group, BCG hopefully is going to do some experiments with compost teas and worm castings. Has anyone tried these in the past?

#445440 - 21/08/2005 13:10 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
FARMER DAVE Offline

Loc: horsham-jung-wimmera
How they going to do that Adon i know worms love tea leaves have got some buck worms in worm farm since march they love tea leaves.

#445441 - 21/08/2005 13:25 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

I have heard they are going to sow plows of wheat with worm castings as fertilizer then make a "tea" out of worm castings to use as a foliar fertilizer. I think the same would be done with compost. Do you know about compost and vermicost teas?
I have never heard of buckworms where did you get them(I suppose they are compost worms)
I started my own worm farm in March as well and have also found they love tea leaves. should start another forum on worm farms. Nice shower again here! laugh

#445442 - 21/08/2005 22:04 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
FARMER DAVE Offline

Buck worms are the large earthworms we get here some people also call them scrub worms big thick buggers little finger size up to say 6 inches long get them out in the paddocks heaps of them in longtem stubble mulch paddock first time have been able to keep them in worm farm great for cod fishing.
Have had a bit to do with composting when over in the states helped a mate i stayed wih set one up to break down calf bodies the bodies were gone in about 8 weeks will track down site if you are interested.

#445443 - 21/08/2005 22:14 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Sounds good! I have tigers, reds and Indian blues am tryiing to get a hold of some euro nightcrawlers but noby around here has them. So you have buck worms living in a worm farm. Are they breeding?

#445444 - 21/08/2005 22:29 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
FARMER DAVE Offline

yes they are breeding checked the other day was told the would not breed but these are! Dad told me they would never live he and his mates used to collect them for murray fishing i helped few times they used to go out to flood irrigation areas on first night of run with gas lights and pick them up i just go out after summer rain and pick them up in puddles or have a spot were they gather old drain in paddock they seem the prefer red clay but are building up numbers in black ground during sowing usually collect 3 or 4 of airseeder tynes thinking wire wrapped around.

You can buy them for cod bait about one dollar each some people get the from around cherrypool in the riverswamp down there.

#445445 - 21/08/2005 22:35 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

I wonder if they are the same worm we have here. get about 15cm long and pretty fat. Might have to get some and chuck them in the worm farm. Are the scrubworms in with other worms?

#445446 - 21/08/2005 22:53 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
FARMER DAVE Offline

the sound like the same worms, have been told not to have any others in with them mine are alone you have to make worm farm very escape proof they are better the african night crawlers for getting away. have found they like it wet down on bottom layer, not to wet on top they like bean or pea stubble on top dont like spuds mainly pumpkin ant tea bags. and not hot worse thing for them worse than any others mainly because of there bulk i think.

#445447 - 22/08/2005 20:48 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Goody Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wagga District ...Where Crows ...
Very interesting Adon I will keen to know what the outcome is from the trials....Man those buck worms must move heaven in the earth ! eek

Sound more like black snakes to me ....will have to Google this one

Happy trials & trails !

#445448 - 22/08/2005 22:34 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Would be really good to see how they go with it. I guess the system would have to be played with to see how good it could get. Would be very nice to not have to use chemical fertilizers tho not just becuse of the price of them.

#445449 - 24/08/2005 14:47 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

What your email dave? have some pics of srubbies I got this morning. (not sure how to put them on the forum)

#445450 - 04/09/2005 11:40 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

I have had a population explosion in my worm farm! There are little worms everywhere! laugh laugh I reckon that the temp has got to just about right so probly all the egg hatched at once.

#445451 - 05/10/2005 14:46 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Reckon I have jsut about enough worm castings to see how I go at making a batch of castings tea. I reckon I'll pput it on the lawn and the garden and see how it goes. Got a bit excited last week and grabbed a heap of worm and went fishin so will have to control myself!

#445452 - 27/04/2006 21:42 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Wormgrower Offline

Loc: Central Victoria
FARMER DAVE ..... and others.
Any reports, as to how the Scrub worms are
breeding??
Still find the tea leaves and the pea straw are doing the job?

#445453 - 27/04/2006 22:41 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Hi worm grower welcome to the forum! :wave:

I have not tried breeding scrub worms because they have been really hard to find lately. It is bloody dry out here and they are really deep.

with my compost worms tho they love the pea straw and tea leaves. Every time I put a soaked patch of staw in, they go mad and get all through it.

#445454 - 29/04/2006 10:55 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Wormgrower Offline

Loc: Central Victoria
adon, thanks for the welcome. Hope I can add to the
- "Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms" thread over the coming months. I am just in the very early stages of worm farming, but all is going well,
and all the worms seem happy (as it were) and are sure growing.I will post as I find any helpful tips
that may help others. Best of luck to all the members that are into worm farming.

#445455 - 07/06/2007 11:08 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon1 Offline

Loc: birchip
Hey all just came across a good story in the weekly times yesterday about how compost teas can fight strip rust without haveing to use chemicals. Basically these guys were spraying "liquid compost" onto crops to encourage biology onto the leaves. This inturn created competition for room and stripe rust could not cover the whole leaf therefor limiting the damage.

I am going to try compost out next year as we have a very large supply within 100km of us and it is pretty cheap really.

#445456 - 07/06/2007 13:37 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Very wise that adon1 bloke!!! wink laugh IM BACK!!!

#445457 - 07/06/2007 15:08 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Good news Adon, was hoping that glitch would get sorted out soon. laugh

Was only taliking to hubby yesterday about starting a small worm farm. The idea is to eventually go as organic as possible here for vegies and the likes, though to go completely organic is impossible with our surrounding neighbours high in chemical heaven.
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#445458 - 20/11/2007 12:26 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
shayned Offline

Loc: Pine Rivers
Any more info on the scrub worms??? If this is any help, a fair while ago I dug through a pile of woodchips which had been dumped near a lake I was going to fish. The pile had been there for some time and I found quite a few scrubbies at the damp end. Normally only find them under rotting logs in undisturbed bushland.

#445459 - 31/01/2008 11:28 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Wiltipoll Offline

Does anyone have any information or suggestions on large scale worm farm methods, and methods of spreading worm manure onto areas of 1 to 2 acres? I want to improve such an area of pretty dead soil so as to establish a small pasture. I have no tractor....

#445460 - 02/02/2008 08:08 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
Cascade Offline

Loc: Jindera, near Albury/Wodonga.
I use a product called "NUTRISOIL LS", worm castings plus other minerals.It is manufactured locally here. www.nutrisoil.com.au ,well worth a read.

#445461 - 26/04/2008 11:36 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I haven't got a worm farm but we are contemplating a "Tree Change" in the next few years. One of the things I have doing some research on was permaculture (sustanable living - no I am an ominvore not a mung bean muncher) and this in turn led me to worm farms. I was recommended this website as a means of handling all human and vegetation/plant waste, animal waste products, garden compost etc. I was listening to a program on ABC Regional about a bloke in the south coast of NSW who turned his over grown. erosion gully filled 10 acre farm back into productive land by using the is system after destocking and getting rid of most of the rabbits and roos. He put the roo and rabbit carcasses in the biodigetser as well.

Worm Farm waste System

It can be readily installed on an exisiting septic system or on any newly installed septic system. Might be what you are looking for a couple of acres. Depending on what you want to use the plants you are growing for of course.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm

#445462 - 29/04/2008 00:44 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms
adon Offline

Well we may see this type of thing become more common on farms as the carbon credit rules start to bit into the fertilizers that are used by most farmers today. The fertilizers we use are shipped in from overseas and are being blamed for some of the emissions that farms are apparently releasing. We will certainly see further ises in price of the fertilizer to account for the making and transporting of the stuff and then we will be taxed for using it. Combined with all the other imputs that will attract carbon tax, we coule well be back at square one in the costs v profit crisis we have just emerged from. If so you may see a big reduction of area sown to crops and either replanted to trees of shifting to livestock. Supply and demand may stop some of this but the risks of large losses may become too much of a risk for large farms to have a punt on a crop. Would very much like to have a time machine to figure out how this will pan out for farmers in the future.

Kyoto could be a precursor to widespread hunger and possibly even famine for a huge chunk of the population. It may sound like a sensationalist thingd to say but just look at the riots going on around the world about food prices and you can see that any further increase in demand and a drop in production could well spark off famines in the poorest countries around the world. Big Al and his pals better start preparing to give craploads of money to the world food program.

#1262009 - 02/05/2014 12:56 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms [Re: adon]
monoply Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Central Vic
Hi Adon,

Just wondering if there is any updates on your no kill cropping trails, and also your earth worm breeding?

Ive played with some no kill cropping, but find the weed competition is very savage, so like your self, still working out the best times to so, manage, etc.

Cheers
mono

#1279502 - 11/10/2014 10:23 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms [Re: monoply]
adon Offline

Originally Posted By: monoply
Hi Adon,

Just wondering if there is any updates on your no kill cropping trails, and also your earth worm breeding?

Ive played with some no kill cropping, but find the weed competition is very savage, so like your self, still working out the best times to so, manage, etc.

Cheers
mono

Hey mate I gave it a go but like you I found that the competition was pretty full on and typical i
Of mallee seasons, the spring was dry so nothing much came of it. However it was good sheep feed so a win of sorts.

I looked a little more into NKC and also pasture cropping and I reckon that in order for it to work here, I would have to first improve the soil structure and also address the annuals that are dominant in the winter. Also pasture cropping works well where the native perennials have a dormant season. That for us at the moment is summer, the dry season. So maybe this will always struggle.

Since trying this method I have came to the conclusion that for my situation, cropping is just too risky no matter how I do it. Therefore I am looking into just using stock as my harvesters.

I am now trying to introduce Holistic livestock management into the farm. It's basically doing the same thing but not trying to harvest grain. I will also plant "primer crops" that are basically a very diverse mix of crop plants (as many as I can get a hold of). Once these have got a to a certain point in their growth, smash them down with very high density, short duration grazing. Leaving a lot of the plant matter of the surface for soil health. This will improve the soil structure and microbial activity and also organic carbon level which are basically zero.

Maybe in time, I could give NKC another crack but in reality it was designed for grazing off anyway and only occasionally would it make it through to harvest. My whole point is reducing costs to a minimum and letting nature do it's thing instead of imposing my will on it.

#1279516 - 11/10/2014 12:08 Re: Compost teas, worm castings and worm farms [Re: SBT]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Originally Posted By: SBT
I haven't got a worm farm but we are contemplating a "Tree Change" in the next few years. One of the things I have doing some research on was permaculture (sustanable living

Wow, i wouldn't have believed that statement unless i head read it with my own two eyes! wink

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
47 registered (Locke, WANDJINA G'vale, DarrylS, justme, Clearskies, mysteriousbrad, J D, snoopydoo, hanksy, Stormy3, WeatherNut96, StormQueen, slider, gberg, vjknight, ozone doug, Squeako_88, TWEEDSTORM, samboz, CuNimJim, Ahab, retired weather man, Kangaroo, Aussiestormguy, Dipole, petethemoskeet, Nature's Fury, OverDrive, Phantom, Steve777, Summ3r, BlairRoberts, redbucket, Rainbow Spirit, whatscracken, Colin Maitland, DaveMuzza, Mad Elf #1.5, schmacko67, F5, Jimi, GringosRain, wxra, 4 invisible), 527 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Big_Pete, CoastalStorm22, Heatwave21
Forum Stats
29193 Members
32 Forums
23566 Topics
1447041 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image