Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#445463 - 19/01/2008 22:01 Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I've been googling this and come up with nuffing.

I've got an assortment of poisons under the house, and an assortment of weeds. But nowhere can I get info on What poisons kill What weeds!

I've got some stuff called Kamba 500, and there's the Roundup, and some other stuff... There was some Grazon but I think it's empty.

I can't even work out if any of them are any good for St John's Wort, let alone the other buggers (Paterson's, thistles, various other nasties).

St John's is the big problem at the moment. I'll have to wait til winter to go after the Paterson's properly, and I usually use the adze on the briar roses and blackberries.

Any one know?!

#445464 - 19/01/2008 22:47 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Dazza_XL Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bushland Beach
www.pestgenie.com.au

If you know the name, you'll find the chemical in the search section.

I use it, and I'm a chemical reseller! It really is that good.

Kamba M is good for killing weeds in lawns. Retails for $18 for 1lt.

EDIT---- (Bloody Rum. Will do it everytime)
I forgot to mention, you can search by
1) Product
2) Active
3) Problem
4) Situation Use (Home, Garden, Broadacre etc)
5) and Type.

For St Johns Wart, they recommend Glyphosate 450 (Standard Roundup) .

Cheers

Darran

#445465 - 19/01/2008 23:09 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

Awesome! Thanks for that. I hope that Kamba stuff is more useful than that. I've got 10 acres of shale and weeds of every variety, even the roos aren't eating them.

#445466 - 19/01/2008 23:12 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Dazza_XL Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Oh yeah, it's good stuff alright. Check the label, it will tell all.

Need any advice, PM me. I sell the odd drum or 500. Yet my yard is just a weed garden. laugh I've been out all day spraying, time for some more Kamba.

Hang onto that Roundup. It's almost doubled in price in the last 3 months.

Cheers

Darran

#445467 - 19/01/2008 23:35 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

I've just been looking at that data base, certainly the best info I've found, it's bookmarked! but it's funny, if you look up the poison, it says some weeds. But then if you look up the specific weed, it doesn't mention the poison you were just told is for that weed! The searches are awfully specific.

Looks like Roundup is the go for St Johns, Patersons and just about everything else. Apparently Grazon is good on St Johns, too. And Kamba 500 is for "broadleaf" weeds, well I got lots of those, and they mention thistles.

I wonder why Roundup's going up?

#445468 - 20/01/2008 06:03 Re: Weeds, poisons?
David Simpson. Offline
Weatherzone Administrator/Moderator

Loc: Tasmania
Roundup is Glysophate, and the no-named version is a third of the price of Roundup so look out for it, made by Brunnings as I recall but PM me if you want details as I have stacks here. If you are using Grazon (I use it on my property for gorse) you're best to mix it with a surfactant too, as Grazon is very expensive and runoff is a problem. I also incorporate a dye into the mix, again PM me if you want details. With Kamba you may need to perform a 2/6 cycle, i.e. spray one day, wait 2 weeks and spray again, wait 2 weeks and spray again. This breaks the cycle for broadleaf weeds.

#445469 - 20/01/2008 07:33 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Keith Offline

Loc: Kings Langley, NSW
I used the Brunnings version quite a long while back and it made no difference to anything. If it contains the same chemical as the dearer ones then it should have worked..in both cases you use it straight from the spray bottle. I read later that some of these cheaper ones are diluted with water. That would explain the lower price and possibly also why this didn't work.

Zero and Roundup have been very effective against just about anything that grows here.

I only wish there was a weedicide that selectively kills paspalum and leaves buffalo grass unaffected. The rotten stuff keeps coming up next to the rain gauges...sometimes overnight!

#445470 - 20/01/2008 09:12 Re: Weeds, poisons?
DNO Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ellesmere, Qld
Quote:
I heard on the radio that China is having trouble producing enough to keep up with demand for glyphosate. Mostly due to increased adoption of of No-till farming which relies heavily on glyphosate.

I suppose a hoe/grubber is not an option? wink

#445471 - 20/01/2008 11:16 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Dazza_XL Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DNO:
Quote:
I heard on the radio that China is having trouble producing enough to keep up with demand for glyphosate. Mostly due to increased adoption of of No-till farming which relies heavily on glyphosate.
That, and I heard China Government is shutting a lot of factories down due to the Beijing Olympics coming up soon. Shutting Factories is one easy way to reduce emissions.

Also I heard one of the major chemical factories were busted pumping huge amounts of waste into a river over there, so they were also shut down.

Cheers

Darran

#445472 - 20/01/2008 11:18 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Dazza_XL Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith:
I used the Brunnings version quite a long while back and it made no difference to anything. If it contains the same chemical as the dearer ones then it should have worked..in both cases you use it straight from the spray bottle. I read later that some of these cheaper ones are diluted with water. That would explain the lower price and possibly also why this didn't work.
I've never had a drama selling the generic products, and we do sell plenty.
We only purchase from large well known companies, so if anything goes wrong they have the back-up support to solve the problem.

Some resellers tread a fine line when it comes to cheap generics.

Cheers

Darran

#445473 - 20/01/2008 11:32 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DNO:
I suppose a hoe/grubber is not an option? wink
On 10 acres of shale? One feature of shale is, it's often found on steep hillsides. as is mine.

#445474 - 20/01/2008 11:38 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

I noticed some of that Brunnings stuff yesterday in Bunnings (I hate Bunnings but like their dead plants stand). I'd want to buy the proper concentrate though so I can mix it myself according to the weeds I'm going after that day (it changes depending on the weed, its growth stage and the conditions), and to add the pink stuff. Wetting agent too, if necessary.

I have a little trolley with a battery-driven pump, but it's a murderous thing and tries to run me over (my block is mostly steep, especially where the weeds have taken over). The tank on that is quite large and heavy.

So the backpack sprayer has just been repaired (still have to work out how to mend/adapt the straps though, taken from another implement), it'll mean a lot of trips but I'll have more freedom to go on the steep sections, and a bit more mobility and control.

There's some paraquat and diaquat things in my pile too (the family bring them, mother's a farmer) but I seem to remember they are rather nasty to use. Might leave them in their containers. Roundup seems almost benign by comparison.

#445475 - 20/01/2008 13:06 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ROM Offline

Glyphosate is supposed to come down dramatically in price around mid year as some big Indian factories come on line with their glyphosate production.
The Chem game and lots of other product lines are going to get interesting as the Indians who are just gearing up, take the Chinese on in the world markets.
I would almost be inclined to put my money on the Indians for the long haul although both will take your wallet, watch, pants and anything else not nailed down if they get half a chance.

#445476 - 20/01/2008 21:50 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

Hmmm. I have some Metabisulphuron too. As usual, the label is a bit coy on details of what it's for.

Yes, China vs India will be interesting. I don't think the environment will be the winner though.

#445477 - 20/01/2008 22:33 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Farmer Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by ant:
Hmmm. I have some Metabisulphuron too. As usual, the label is a bit coy on details of what it's for.

Yes, China vs India will be interesting. I don't think the environment will be the winner though.
Ant, If you mean Metsulfuron - Methyl here is a link to its uses and withholding periods Metsulfuron - Methyl

#445478 - 20/01/2008 23:15 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

Yeah, it is Metsulfuron (I'm rotten at any kind of chemicals, unless you can eat 'em). It's called 600-something which I think is how much chemical is in it. There's no food grown or animals grazing here, so it's pure gardening, hopefully it won't bother the roos too much.

Edit: hmm. Looks like soft stemmed things like thistles and Patto's. Good to know.

#445479 - 21/01/2008 08:11 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Farmer Offline
Weather Freak

Yeah it is fairly cheap for the generic one as well.I used about 1000 litres of it on the Sweet Briar on my farm at Bredbo last year - (previous owner was a bit slack)- and got about a %95 kill. Very happy with that laugh

#445480 - 21/01/2008 09:12 Re: Weeds, poisons?
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
I've got about five favourite herbicides lurking in the cupboard here:

1. Starane - Works a bloody treat on Negura Burr, it's a bit of a problem where we are and a declared noxious weed so I mix this stuff up at a rate of 75ml / 100 litres and it flogs the socks off it laugh

2. Hotshots - Absolute dynamite on Lantana, mix it up in a concentration of about 500 - 750ml / 100 litres for lantana (and pretty much any other woody weed like scotch thistle although at that concentration it is complete overkill). I have not found a better herbicide for lantana then this stuff! We ended up boom spraying an area full of needle burr, killed every weed in the area and left the grass laugh

3. Grazon - I use this for predominantly spraying eucalypt regrowth. Hotshots is also pretty decent for eucalypt regrowth but doesn't seem to work as quickly.

4. Tordon - Good for regrowth that is too big to spray.

5. Roundup - We mainly use this for grass control under electric fences, whilst the roundup does work on other weeds, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as efficient. Just my opinion.

Because we are mixing with bore water we use a water conditioner called "Quatrabuff". Basically by making sure the water is balanced correctly we can go from a good kill to a pretty much complete kill very simply. I hate having to go back to an area and respraying plants that I know I have already done. We've been spraying amongst all this rain we've been getting lately and it seems as long as the poison gets its 15-30 mins drying time the kill isn't affected.

#445481 - 21/01/2008 10:21 Re: Weeds, poisons?
ant Offline

That Kamba 500 stuff is extortionate! I was looking at the chemicals last night, and for a hand-held jug of it, it said $216! Yuck. It'd better be good for that.

#445482 - 21/01/2008 17:25 Re: Weeds, poisons?
avalon Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Macedon Vic 870m elev
be careful if u are going to spray Kamba (Dicamba) anywhere near the root zone of a tree you want to keep. Have seen it do a lot of damage through root absorbtion

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Who's Online
12 registered (RC, MOUNTAIN h2o, Weather_Viewer, Blowin', Snowmaker, Floodhunta, Snapper22lb, Taylsy, logansi, Un_stable, 2 invisible), 104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29654 Members
32 Forums
23978 Topics
1500419 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image