Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1080858 - 25/02/2012 09:37 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: Sandfly]
adon Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Not tellin!
Originally Posted By: Sandfly
Well be need to bring back farmers markets, where local produce can be sold straight to the buying public. The producers will get better prices, the shoppers get better fresher items, and the giant corporations that currently run the supermarkets will fade away as a bad memory.

However you will quickly find that foods you buy every week will not be available all year round from markets and while this is not a bad thing, it would take some getting used to. Having to eat only what is in season would be quite a challenge and I suspect there would be some boring food during winter.

Also all of the regulations regarding....well everything to do with food and selling it makes farmers markets pretty hard for most farmers and I reckon a lot of them would either want to take a break on the weekend or be working on their farms instead of being at a market selling produce.

Also for the average farmer out here where I am selling wheat direct to the public would be impossible.

#1177274 - 26/02/2013 17:37 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: bd bucketingdown]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Farmers markets can work in rural areas but the distances that farmers have to travel can be a hassle Adon and what you sell also has a problem as you pointed out - selling wheat to teh general public wouldn't work - well except for my missus who makes heat packs with wheat but then she only buys about 40Kg a year.

A stall holder next to us (we sell candles at Willows Markets on Sunday mornings) on most weekends travels from the Burdekin to Townsville. A 3 to 4 hour drive that he does once a week so he can sell direct to the public for 5 hours (offically) on a Sunday. He has to cover costs, pay wages for his two helpers and make a profit. The veges he sells are top quality, harvested within 24 hours of you buying them and yes you pay a premium price but the upshot is that it is as fresh as you can get and you can preorder whatever is in season and he will supply whenever he can. At the end of each day he sells whatever is left to a couple of cafes in Townsville which he delivers to on his way out of town.

North Shore development (Townsville) also has a Farmers Market on a Saturday but at an average of $75.00 a site for the day it is too exepnsive for him to bother with.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1177312 - 26/02/2013 18:18 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: adon]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: adon
[
However you will quickly find that foods you buy every week will not be available all year round from markets and while this is not a bad thing, it would take some getting used to. Having to eat only what is in season would be quite a challenge and I suspect there would be some boring food during winter.

Most of my fruit and veg comes direct from farmers or farmers co op shops.

I have no boring food because I freeze/bottle/dry seasonal things so I can enjoy them throughout the off times.

#1183373 - 14/03/2013 17:08 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: bd bucketingdown]
FAC Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Canberra (Sth side)
The Farmers market in Canberra (at EPIC) is pretty good. Runs every Saturday morning. Lots of variety in the goods on offer, meat (some game meats included), fish, veggies, fruit and great bread. It isnt all cheap compared to what you nay get a Woolies or Coles however i dont think you can compare the difference in food quality or fresahness (no matter what the two supermarket chains try and tell you) so i'm happy to pay the extra. Plus i know that the money is going back into the producers pockets rather than being distributed between all the 'other hands' that it took to get coles and woolies their produce leaving little for the producer (farmer).
Is still 'source' my own meat from time to time on a few properties that i have access to. Adds something different to the diet when you can have free range pig and venison on your plate.

#1183485 - 14/03/2013 22:22 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: bd bucketingdown]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I miss those markets, they used to move to Queanbeyan in the afternoon, to the showgrounds, and it was awesome. Great stuff for sale, you couldn't help but buy it. I don't know what happened, but it stopped. Some of the local town markets provide an outlet for small local farmers and producers, but I don't think you could earn a living from it.

#1198857 - 13/06/2013 15:02 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: bd bucketingdown]
Finn Felton Offline
Cloud Gazer

Imagine if all the people of the world stop eating meat then the consumption of wheat, rice, and vegetable will be increased, which in turn, increases the demand of more vegetarian food and so farming will be done in larger scale. I don't know whether it will have good or bad impact on farmers.

#1199163 - 15/06/2013 13:59 Re: Eat Less Meat!!! [Re: bd bucketingdown]
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
7 registered (rainiac, DaveM, Knot, EddyG, Wave Rider, Matt Pearce, 1 invisible), 275 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Greg Spencer, K-Town King, sammyb79
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23642 Topics
1456422 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image