Page 111 of 112 < 1 2 ... 109 110 111 112 >
Topic Options
#463777 - 19/03/2005 19:48 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
also take note that the teachers house had taped up windows that are still in place while the roof went for a walk.
2017 Yearly total to date - 705.0mm (1122mm)

#463778 - 19/03/2005 20:18 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Tornadosky Offline

Loc: Adelaide
Okay thanks for looking Blair. I wonder if BOM should have some portable Automatic Weather Stations that are built to survive cyclones, that could be placed in the predicted path of cyclones. It would have been a breeze to get a few AWS into the path of Ingrid given its slow and well-behaved movement in the latter part of its journey. Maybe some of our stormchasers could also take up the challenge - it could become one of the hightlights of the Australian tropical storm-chasing season - attempting to position portable AWS’s so cyclones pass right over the top of them. Awards could be made, records could be set and broken, feats of daring lauded smile , lost stormchasers honoured :rolleyes: .

#463779 - 19/03/2005 21:20 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Jacob Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Sydney, NSW
Watching the low now.. (ex TC Ingrid) and she is HEADED BACK to the bonaparte gulf!!! Its showing some great signs of re-forming in a hurry!..

This is a crazy system.. and if she forms again, she will replace TC Steve in my minds picture of erratic systems.

This will be interesting indeed.. Squalls forming up in Katherine.. SFC charts show a clear area of LP, 1005hpa at the moment, and centre is rather ambiguous in its location.

Although a quick glance at Radar 512km or this chart..
http://www.australianweathernews.com/charts/DARMET-0.GIF Courtesy of Australianweathernews.com and its location becomes clearer indeed wink

#463780 - 19/03/2005 22:39 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Gulf Lines Offline
Banned member

Indeed - Katherine has just had just under 100mm in 1 hour on the convergence zone between ex-INgrid & the se'erlies.

They desperately needed that as well - they have had very poor rainfall frown

Spare a thought for Port Keats people - normally this is one wet time of year for them (Feb average is 500mm March 350mm) - they had 250mm in Feb abd only 44 so far this month!! frown

I don't believe Ingrid will re-form as the LLCC has been completely destroyed. But she may intensify as a Monsoonal low. Whatever - show me the RAIN!

#463781 - 19/03/2005 22:56 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Tan Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Barringha/Woodstock, Qld
Hmmmm...Paul, I think you are starting to show symptoms of "Lackofrainaphobia" which was first recongnised in the Townsville area not so long ago.....despite the condition, apparently no cure is eminent.

#463782 - 19/03/2005 22:58 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
JudyH Offline

Loc: 2km N of Darwin Airport
Report from Faraway Bay:
MEDIA RELEASE 16 March 2005

FARAWAY BAY, THE BUSH CAMP SUFFERS DIRECT HIT BY CYCLONE INGRID
The isolated holiday destination, Faraway Bay Bush Camp was directly hit by the eye of the Category 5, Cyclone Ingrid at 9pm on Tuesday 15 March. The camp was fortunately closed for the wet season and the two experienced caretakers who were on site are both unharmed and safe. The camp has suffered extensive damage however the true extent of this will not be known until the owner, Bruce Ellison can be flown in to assess the situation. Due to continuing strong winds and heavy rain, this may not be possible for several days.
The owners Bruce and Robyn Ellison were tracking the cyclone from their home in Kununurra. Robyn said, “When I heard the coordinates on the meteorology report of where the cyclone crossed the coast, I could not believe that it was exactly on our camp.” Attempts to contact the camp throughout the night were unsuccessful. Miraculously, at about 5.30am the phone did connect but no one answered. Shortly afterwards the caretakers called back to say they were OK but the camp was devastated. Whilst they were describing the situation, the call which was dependent on satellite signal dropped out. Due to heavy cloud cover, no further contact has been possible.
The initial report indicated that much of the infrastructure has been destroyed. The caretakers sheltered in a sea container set in concrete, a purpose built cyclone shelter. The SES have helicopters and personnel on stand by to fly to the affected area as soon as conditions allow. Reports suggest this may not be for up to 36 hours.
Faraway Bay, The Bush Camp, winner of the 2003-04 Australian Tourism Award for Unique Accommodation, was built by Bruce Ellison in 1996. It has previously withstood Category 3 cyclones with no damage, but 280km winds proved too much.
The future of Faraway Bay remains uncertain until an on ground inspection can be made. Bruce and Robyn have been swamped with offers from friends and locals to clean up and rebuild the camp as soon as possible.
Guests who are currently holding bookings for this season at Faraway Bay will be informed and kept up to date over the coming weeks.
ENDS

#463783 - 20/03/2005 07:44 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
TrenthamStormchasers Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Trentham 705m
Re the former circulation of Ingrid....the cloud system was sheared by strong upper northwest-southeast shear on the 17/3 and totally shredded. What was left of the low level circulation wafted about and disappeared not long after and got absorbed into the ITCZ trough and lost identity completely. It would be difficult to suggest the present low over the Top End would be Ingrid's circulation.

#463784 - 21/03/2005 18:53 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

Loc: Yokine, Perth (31 53'.418"...
I have obtained numerous images of cyclone damage (mainly trees down and minor structural damage) at a mine site near to where Ingrid passed. Anyone interested if I post them on a web page?

I also have several videos, varying from 3.7mb (which are just wind and rain) to 150mb (which is a quite amazing view down in the pit) which I am happy to distribute, but don't have any hosting facilities. Am more than happy to post a CD to ONE person if they wish to host.

There are also more photo's in a 175MB Powerpoint presentation which I will extract and post on the website too, if anyone's interested.

Simon....

#463785 - 22/03/2005 05:27 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Gabby Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yarrawonga/Mulwala on the Murr...
Hope someone volunteers to host your pictures SimonB. I would be really interested to see them. Surely all those who contributed to the 148 pages of this thread would also be interested. Also interesting article JudyH. Wonder if it will be rebuilt. Another environmentally friendly holiday camp, Echo Beach (I think) near Broome was destroyed some years ago by a cyclone. I don't think it was ever rebuilt. We stayed there for a few days. A unique experience.

#463786 - 22/03/2005 11:41 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Tim S Offline

SimonB, you can send em to me if you want, the small ones anyway only have a little bit of webspace, wont be able to put em on till tonight prolly though.

#463787 - 22/03/2005 12:16 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabby:
Hope someone volunteers to host your pictures SimonB. I would be really interested to see them. Surely all those who contributed to the 148 pages of this thread would also be interested.
Hosting the photo's won't be an issue, it's the videos that I can't cater for. Will upload them during the day as I get time and will then provide a link.

#463788 - 22/03/2005 12:17 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim S:
SimonB, you can send em to me if you want, the small ones anyway only have a little bit of webspace, wont be able to put em on till tonight prolly though.
Tim, will your email accept 3.7mb files? Please PM me with your email address, if so.

#463789 - 22/03/2005 19:04 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

First lot of images are online. Go here:

http://www.pbase.com/simonb/tc_ingrid

Sorry, very busy at work at the moment. The default size on Pbase when you click on the thumbnail is 800x600, if you want the original size, click on 'Original' at the bottom of the image.

Please note: I am NOT the photographer.

#463790 - 22/03/2005 20:19 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Tornadosky Offline

Loc: Adelaide
Thanks for putting up those pics Simon - great shots of the Dunham River in flood - must have been an awesome sight watching it from the edge.

#463791 - 22/03/2005 21:53 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tornadosky:
Thanks for putting up those pics Simon - great shots of the Dunham River in flood - must have been an awesome sight watching it from the edge.
Yes, I would have LOVED to be there, but, alas, not to be.

I've edited the two of the Dunham River to adjust the levels, they were terribly washed out.

#463792 - 22/03/2005 22:06 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SimonB:
[QUOTE]I've edited the two of the Dunham River to adjust the levels, they were terribly washed out.
Just realised what I said here... Wasn't intentional! laugh

#463793 - 22/03/2005 22:16 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
JudyH Offline

Loc: 2km N of Darwin Airport
Thought readers here may be interested in an email I received from friends, Jan and Greg, in Nhulunbuy who own a 44' catamaran called Outahia...

Well, we’re still here despite Ingrid’s best attempts to blow us away! Someone upstairs was certainly looking out for us. The savage eye of the cyclone passed about 35kms north of us and went on to destroy other communities all across the top end and down the Kimberly coast. We had plenty of warning so took off on Friday morning with 3 other catamarans to a creek down the back of the harbour, and spider-webbed ourselves across the creek. We had ropes going to 11 different mangrove trees. Even so, when the winds were at their max, about 2.30am Sat morning, we were hoping like hell they’d hold. We were far enough away from the eye to miss the really destructive 260km winds. Even so, we estimated our max to be about 140kms. Neil, from Azonic, one of the other cats with us, saw 69.9 knots on his wind gauge at one stage when he was brave enough to go out into his cockpit to have a look. We just took our instruments down (didn’t want any of that stray zappy stuff to cook our gear again!) At one stage, Greg and I looked at each other and wondered what the hell we were doing there and wishing we were somewhere else. Wondered that, if this was 140 km/hr wind, God help us if we got 260 km\hr! The noise was the worst. It was pitch black, raining bucket-loads, with the wind howling like you wouldn’t believe. Every now and then a stronger gust would hit us, and the boat would shudder and vibrate and strain even more against the ropes. It really was a very long, scary night. We had the radio on all night, scanning the local marine station of 80 and the normal channel 16. We also listened to the hourly updates on local ABC radio. They had a reporter in the cyclone shelter at the Hospital in town, and the stupid woman was giving out reports designed to panic anyone who was silly enough to take her seriously. The ABC reports were half to ¾ hour late. Our saving grace was Steve (brother-in-law) who gave us regular reports after logging onto the BOM site and accessing the local radar. We were able to plot the course of the cyclone from his reports – it was constantly heading wnw at a steady 15 km/hr, and slowly heading north of us, so we knew we wouldn’t get the worst of it. Still, the noise raging around us made us a bit doubtful a few times. It finally ended about daylight, and we were able to catch up on a few zz’s. We stayed put all day Saturday and waited for things to ease off before attempting to go back to the mooring. Sunday mid-morning saw us easing our way out of the creek and motoring back up the bay. There were boats everywhere – some blown up on the beach, others broke their moorings and bounced their way through the fleet, others disappeared and were found on the other side of the bay, another sank on it’s mooring, and a large pearl boat ran up on the rocks and was badly holed. If we’d stayed on our mooring, we’d have worn a large fishing boat as well as another cat, both of which dragged across the fleet along with their mooring! The town fared well considering. There were no injuries and very little damage to buildings. The trees copped it the worst – I don’t think a tree in town escaped! They’re blown down everywhere, branched all over the place and leaves covering everything as well as being a foot deep against walls. Lots of mulch for the gardeners!

The refinery actually shut down completely for the first time since it started operating over 30 years ago. Stan McKelvie, a friend of ours, was called out and spent the night in the refinery. Said it was a dangerous place to be (all personnel were tucked away in sheltered areas and were safe enough). They had time to prepare and all areas were well and truly battened down and ready for the worst. A couple of buildings lost panels but otherwise, damage was minimal. It would have been a totally different story if that storm was even 20km further south – so we can all thank our lucky stars!

And from another email Jan sent today...

Was talking to one of the guys from work who was talking to someone who flew to Elcho Is the other day - said there was an almost distinct line between the core wind strengths of 260km/hr to the lesser ones of 140km that we got. There wasn't a leaf on a tree in the core area and most of the branches were missing also. Can't imagine how we would have fared if the core winds went over us!

#463794 - 22/03/2005 23:40 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Tim S Offline

Great pics Simon, love the pun, you sure it wasnt intentional smile

#463795 - 23/03/2005 07:09 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
Gabby Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yarrawonga/Mulwala on the Murr...
Thanks for those pics Simon, especially the river in flood. Looking forward to the rest of them when you have time. Loved those emails JudyH. Very graphic descriptions. An experience your friends will probably not forget in a hurry.Interesting comment about the warnings by the ABC being so far behind. In my experience, usually the ABC are right on the ball. Wonder which ABC they were listening to - Darwin? or Radio Australia? Fortunate that someone could relay up to date information to them.

#463796 - 23/03/2005 16:13 Re: TC Ingrid (was NW Coral Sea Low)
SimonB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabby:
Thanks for those pics Simon, especially the river in flood. Looking forward to the rest of them when you have time.
Gabby and others, have uploaded the rest of the images. Haven't got PhotoShop here at the office, so some are a a bit in need of editing, but they'll do laugh

Enjoy.

Page 111 of 112 < 1 2 ... 109 110 111 112 >

Who's Online
10 registered (rainiac, retired weather man, Raindammit, scott12, Mad Elf #1.5, Mike Hauber, Blowin', 3 invisible), 274 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
batty
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462491 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image