Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#1344778 - 23/10/2015 22:30 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
If you have an instantaneuos gas hot water service and cannot afford a generator then a $40 invertor will be sufficient to ignite the flame when plugged into your car's cigarette lighter to deliver hot water should you lose power for a couple of days or more like in TC Yasi.

#1345905 - 02/11/2015 10:29 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
It's that time of the year again - Cyclone prep time - I will be dragging the generator out for a test run next Friday. I have to do a small amount of arc welding at the end of my 45 metre long drive way (broken latch) and voltage drop over that distance from nearest home power means I can do a better job with the generator. Next week I start the yard clean up. Gutters will be done this week. I need to refasten the roof of our green house in a couple of places as that has shifted a bit due to ground shrinkage. (It is a non structural design meaning air pressure just goes straight through the shade cloth but it can act like a sail in a strong enough breeze) Probably just needs a couple more roofing screws to sort it out.

Been hassling the next door neighbours about their bloody African mahogany trees that are leaning towards my place. Bastard things drop about 10 kilos of leaves a day into my yard and they were the cause of my ceiling flooding during Yasi. Leaves choked the gutters and the rain had no where to go except into my ceiling. We can't use gutter guards as they stop the roof possums from exiting and no I don't want to retrieve another dead possum from the roof space again thanks - too stinky a job for this bloke with a delicate stomach). Not going overboard just some preliminary work that can be done over a number of days that is a sensible precaution as leaving it to last minute means I can't indulge in my favourite cyclone sport - watching people panic buy when a cyclone is declared.

Townsville 3 carton cyclone prep - carton of smokes, carton of noodles, carton of beer.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1345916 - 02/11/2015 11:55 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
A sensible list from the Townsville Disaster Management Group .Some of it wouldn't be considered by many.

#1390424 - 16/10/2016 11:10 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
SBT Offline

Having knee replacement on 7th December so getting in early this year for cyclone prep.

Finally the mongrel mahogany trees have been removed so no more blocked gutters. Potential son in law will clean out my gutters and down pipes for me. Yard clean up has already been done but a couple of items are still out that can be put away quickly if needed.(BBQ, chairs, tables)

Next door has asked me to chainsaw down a couple of dying palm trees and trim a couple of branches off her mango trees.

I have laid a concrete pad for my generator and enclosing it in a lockable box I have built and also dyna bolted and chained the generator down to the pad. It is close to my power switch board which we have had converted to plug and play the generator into so with a couple of minutes f a power failure I can restore power to the house with a flick of a switch and turning on the generator. I lashed out and got a proper earth stake and clamp from Bunnings. A couple of things to finish off today and I will post photos of setup later this week. I am also setting up a video surveillance system to keep an eye on the generator and also have some footage if we have a cyclone.

Tips for cyclone prep.
1) Take photos of everything. Include gutters, roofs, downpipes, trees, structures such as sheds, shade houses, trees, garages yes even your letterbox, solar panels etc. In case your insurance wants to see what you had prior to any damage.
2) Check your cyclone kit, change batteries, refill gas cylinders, wash out water containers, throw out, out of date canned food, check first aid kit, make sure it hasn't been raided for toilet paper, soap etc.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1399554 - 30/12/2016 21:48 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
Rainbose Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Malanda, Queensland, Australia
I have a question.

After a cyclone power is lost - how do people in the areas where the NBN has been connected, stay in contact with the rest of the world if the power is off for an extended period of time? After Yasi it was off for several weeks in some places, so I've been told.

I'm aware that Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone etc have back up batteries for their systems, but I've been told the NBN compatable phones require power to operate, unlike the old wall phones that needed no battery or power. So, if people who have the NBN connected have no power, how do they communicate with loved ones, authorities, etc?

I know the obvious answer would be by mobile phone. However, during Yasi some mobile towers were damaged, and also, after a few days we lost the phone network due either to it being shut down to facilitate repairs, or because batteries couldn't be recharged.

There is another problem relating to using a mobile phone if the household power is off. With my work I have contact with elderly people who still live in their own homes - many live alone. Many of them do not have a mobile phone, and will not even consider getting one, so they have no alternative form of communication should their home phone be inoperable for whatever reason.

It concerns me that many people, including vulnerable people, could possibly be unable to communicate during or after an emergency.

Does anyone know what options are available for NBN customers who are withput power for extended periods?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most :-)

#1399557 - 30/12/2016 22:25 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: Rainbose]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: Rainbose

It concerns me that many people, including vulnerable people, could possibly be unable to communicate during or after an emergency.

When we got our last good flood we had no power for many days, no mobile phones, no land line phones, no way in or out of our street then when we could get out no where to go anyway as the rest of the roads were flooded for about 10 days.

The only plan you can have then is to own a darn big shovel and shovel your way out of any poop you happen to end up in.

Preparation is the key. Also keep a pile of old tyres. They make handy emergency flares.

#1399559 - 30/12/2016 22:48 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
poona Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: 5km NW COULTA Lower Eyre Penin...
Not just an issue for cyclones this situation has arisen several times here in SA over recent weeks on Eyre Peninsula and this week in mid north Barossa .. extended power outages, after only couple hours no mobiles, no landlines, no data links...no communications..... we were without power and communications twice, once for four days end of September... increasingly severe weather events show up shortcummings of energy and communications infrastructure...and our emergency response plans hadn't factored these possibilities in at all.

#1399574 - 31/12/2016 02:01 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: poona]
The Doo crew Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hedland-Darwin NT
This has been an issue for a long time, well before NBN. Cyclone George everyone tried to use mobiles, battery's lasted 4 hours on the telstra tower, was supposed to last 3 days. No EFT or fuel cards worked due to no landlines so even the police & SES were running out of fuel. Feel for the oldies that will be without ANY communication in a disaster.

#1399584 - 31/12/2016 08:08 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the S Wes...
Not really cyclone related but worth thinking about .When we had floods gas bottles float and then rip off gas lines and i saw one floating on fire from the gas line down a creek and earlier in the day heard a noise coming from a neighbors house 2 doors away where the gas line from the bottle was broken and turned it off. As most gas bottles just sit there it is a possible problem.
Love technology, I think nbn will be a problem . Weather updates digital tv
shower of rain no reception lol. Glad they still have analog radio .
Also for toilet paper buy a portable bidet about $30, cheap and is just a plastic squeeze bottle with a wash head fill with water works well , i use when traveling as i am disabled now .
I also save old car battery's as even if dead eg 10 volt using a 12volt to usb adaptor will give you endless power to phones, ipads, ebooks as you only need 2 volts over to operate any 5 volt equipment .
Always have a plan A and B .

Edited by ozone doug (31/12/2016 08:22)
Edit Reason: 25% more.

#1402632 - 17/01/2017 12:31 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
SBT Offline

A small generator will address most of these power problems. Pure sine wave power will recharge mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc as well as supplying power for NBN modem. Of course if you exchange has no power then it is useless until that and the local mobile towers come back online. After Yasi we lost power for 10 days but luckily we still had mobile phone coverage. I now have a generator which will run fridge, freezer, lights, ceiling fans and at least 1 aircon in a pinch.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1402692 - 17/01/2017 18:19 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
rstewart84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kalangadoo,South Australia
Whilst cyclones aren't a threat here in SE South Australia unless we get a combo of an incoming cold pool and remnants from a tropical cyclone from the west clashing with each other to cause severe weather

As poona has mentioned the reliance on mobile phones can come at a price as the telstra,optus and vodafone towers rely on mains supply to run and in an major disaster or emergency when there's no power towers only have a limited emergency backup system designed only for short term use

My emergency kit comprises of these items

* Small portable generator with extension cords

* Portable scanner radio with rechargeable batteries

* 2 torches

* Emergency power packs for charging my mobile phone

* mini webber bbq for cooking food (just need to get a gas cylinder)

* Portable first aid kit

Taking a quote from the movie Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter "A wise man once told me always have a contingency plan"

In the event of a major disaster or emergency of which disables mobile phone networks and causes extended power outages i can easily set my car up at as mobile communications unit as it has UHF and 27 MHz radios installed to use as a backup source of communications

Adding to this i also have a portable butane gas stove that can be used to cook bacon on a frying pan and even heat up noodles and baked beans with spring or rain water

#1402700 - 17/01/2017 18:47 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the S Wes...
I am looking at building a rocket stove in a few weeks for kicks.Probably a 4inch diameter pipe and insulated with ether wood ash or vermiculite for heat insulation.Seen a friends one a lot smaller one for camping seemed to work well for its size boiling water and small meals makes do with sticks and twigs.

#1415194 - 25/03/2017 11:03 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: GuyH]
bradcq Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: koongal rockhampton qld
freeze as much water as possible and a deep freeze will stay frozen for longer as the air isnt gushing out every time you open the door

#1416377 - 26/03/2017 23:05 Re: Your Cyclone Emergency Kit [Re: ozone doug]
Rainbose Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Malanda, Queensland, Australia
Hi ozone doug ... how did the rocket stove build go? Did it meet your expectations? Have seen them on Youtube and wondered how effective/efficient they are.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most :-)

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Who's Online
5 registered (Donzah, red earth, mysteriousbrad, 2 invisible), 287 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
poida84
Forum Stats
29275 Members
32 Forums
23612 Topics
1451821 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image