NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#609466 - 14/12/2001 22:44 Re: Recording Equipment
Stale fish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Leslie vale 310m asl
Thanks for that Andy and Jane, One other quick question, would there be any difference in accuracy if you brought the hole lot on the stand set up they have compaired with having to mount all the equipment seperatly?

#609467 - 14/12/2001 22:55 Re: Recording Equipment
TrenthamStormchasers Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Trentham 705m
Really depends on what your location is like - I would have no hope mounting it all on one stand because of the trees on & around my property, so I have the anenometer on a 10' pole on the end of the garage (I really must extend that), the tipping bucket on top of the dog run roof & the temp sensor under the eaves on the southern side of the house.......

What's your location like? that will be the end determinant of how & where you install it.

Jane

#609468 - 14/12/2001 23:19 Re: Recording Equipment
Stale fish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Leslie vale 310m asl
Thanks again Jane, I live in a uncompacted suburb with some room to move but my problem is a few trees on our property and on the next doors property, being a little close but over all my set up works. But I have to have the temp in the back yard and the rain gauge is in the front. Also have to have the rain gauge on the fence.
With recording wind is it important to have the anometer on a 10m high pole?

#609469 - 14/12/2001 23:35 Re: Recording Equipment
TrenthamStormchasers Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Trentham 705m
Depends on the location - mine is 1/3 way down a very slight incline to Dandenong Creek & so we are sheltered - I would recommend 10' as an absolute minimum as i can stand with no wind at ground level (as per the Kestrel), 10' I can be recording 12kmh & the top of the trees can be trying to reach the next suburb - consequently I under-record wind speeds. Have a look at the difference next time you have a breeze / land gale & you may see a dramatic increase in windspeed with height. I would like to get the pole up to 20' (but I want to be able to do it without guy ropes).

Jane

#609470 - 15/12/2001 15:12 Re: Recording Equipment
Dave Ellem Offline

Loc: Wollongbar, NSW Northern River...
Hi James!
I have ordered a WM918 and am awaiting it's arrival. I was looking into getting some software for it and ran into a site listing it's faults. It seems whenever there is lightning in the area (ie during a storm), the cables that carry the data start getting 'scrambled' or something and the result is a loss of data coming in from the sensors. You might want to check out their suggestion to fix it!
http://www.qsl.net/zl1vfo/wx200/mods.htm#Static

Dave

#609471 - 16/12/2001 14:29 Re: Recording Equipment
Andy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mid-North Coast, NSW
Hi all,
As regards any cabled weather station, it is a good idea to add some ferrite chokes to the cables at both the sensor end and the console end. These can be purchased cheaply and are easily fitted by simply clipping then over the cables. This will reduce sensitivity to radio frequency interference .... not just two-way radio but lightning induced as well. The same thing applies to the serial data cable between the console and the PC as interference will screw up the data and could potentially ruin your PC serial ports (read motherboard) if you get a decent induced surge from lightning. It is not a good idea to have long wire "antennas" connected to sensitive electronic equipment .... particularly during storm activity ... unless you take some basic precations.

I let my weather station run during storms and so far it hasn't missed a beat .... which is more than I can say for the PC it is connected to. A couple of weeks ago some mains power surges during a storm trashed the hard drive. It took several days to put everything back as it should be. I've subsequently installed a UPS on that machine.

Just as a PS, if you're thinking of "wireless" type weather staions, you should be aware that some of these use a frequency which is allocated to radio amateurs (hams) and other users. The potential for them to cause and receive interference is significant.

Andy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image