Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#614306 - 03/12/2002 21:03 Hayfever
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

Loc: Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, NSW...
Ahhhh It's Hayfever season again, and i'm sneezing away as i always do near the beginning of December. My right eye also seems to be watering like a sprinkler laugh

Does anyone else have this probelm of Hayfever, and if they do tell me your case, so i know i'm not the only one wink

Or, if anyone has any tips to keep Hayfever away this season, i try everything (Telfast, Zertek) but still no result, i am getting sick and tired of watery eyes and runny nose. Anyone with Hayfever knows what i'm going through smile

Cloudmaster :cheers: frown

#614307 - 03/12/2002 21:38 Re: Hayfever
Nullamanna WX Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Nullamanna, Nth-West Slopes, N...
I know exactly how you feel, CM, as I get hayfever every season, but, (knock on wood) I haven't had a sniffle yet. I usually get the watery, itchy eyes and the glands in my neck swell up and make it hard to breath, I get itchy on the roof of my mouth as well as the normal runny nose and sneezing. It is like having a cold or the flu for six months. I have been living with this condition all of my 37 years and the only medication I have found that work's is
AVIL's they are primarily used for seasickness because they dry out your sinus passages. They are the anti-histamine in most hayfever preparations but in a higher dosage. Most common hayfever tablet's have Pseudo-ephedrine hydrochloride in them and Phenrimine maleate and Paracetamol.

Pseudo-Ephedrine hydrochloride dries up sinus passages
Phenramine maleate is an anti-histamine, so you do not have a histamic reaction to your particular allergen (usually pollen and dust).
Paracetamol relieves the pain.

The amounts are usually;
20mg Pseudo-ephedrine hydrochloride
8mg Phenramine maleate
500mg Paracetamol

But, AVIL's are 48.9mg pure phenramine maleate and they work well if you have only one half a day, nothing else is needed and you can live a normal life they are usually about $12 for a little bottle of 50 tablet's and they last forever and you can usually get them at most chemist's but , I warn you, don't drink alcohol or drive a car as they can make you a bit drousy and exaggerate the effect's of alchohol (make's you a cheap drunk and you WILL blow over the limit if you drive( I know you are 14, CM, but this is for the benefit of older others who may read this) For more information, consult your doctor.

:cheers: Mick.

#614308 - 03/12/2002 21:46 Re: Hayfever
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

Cheers FF smile

I am lucky, becuase i have never gotten any swelling in my neck, or my nose nor mouth. I just get really watery eyes and severe runny nose. I have been blowing my nose every 30 second for the past 3 hours mad

Cloudmaster :cheers:

#614309 - 03/12/2002 22:03 Re: Hayfever
Nullamanna WX Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I'm fine at the moment, CM, but I'm sorry to hear you are not, maybe if we get some rain, your hayfever will calm down a bit. Do you know what you are allergic to? You are probably like me almost a share holder in a tissue company laugh ,

#614310 - 03/12/2002 22:50 Re: Hayfever
W W Offline

Loc: Cobar 31.50S, 145.83E, 243m ...
Up until this year I used to get hayfever really bad
I would have to lock myself in side all the time as my nose would run,eyes would itch,throat would itch,sneezing non stop, you will know what I am talking about frown frown frown
I went to an Iridologist in April & have been as good as gold since,he gave me some herbs to take & they worked better than anything I have EVER taken.It's worth a visit
:cheers: Heather

#614311 - 04/12/2002 00:08 Re: Hayfever
seaweed Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Robina SEQ
It may be too late but you should of started on a course of nasal steroids a month or two before the onset of "hayfever" season in your area. I used to have terrible problems in August when they start cutting the cane in our district, but I have found a course of steroids started in July worked wonders. You will need to get a prescription from your doctor, and they are a lot different from body builder "steroids" used by some people. (I can't remember the name of the medicine I used, it was 3 months ago when I finished the course but if I remember I will ask my doctor sister next time we speak what she prescibed for me)

#614312 - 04/12/2002 00:44 Re: Hayfever
Fine Elsewhere Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany.W.A.
Hi CM and All - Yep just like Mick, i've suffer hayfeaver every year & its not much fun when your a farmer!!! Haymaking, haycarting, then feeding out hay always the same - sneeze, runny nose and itch. I hate any type of drugs, but like Mick i've tried lots of tablets now only use AVIL, but as Mick says first talk to a doctor, you dont need a prescription, but thats not the point - be sure not sorry. With the AVIL i usually only take 1/4 of a tablet in the morning, then maybe second 1/4 in the afternoon. The irritation will be worse if its dry & windy.
:wave: FE

#614313 - 04/12/2002 06:15 Re: Hayfever
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

Thanks everyone, that helped so much smile

BTW, iv'e still got a runny nose this morning, but my eye is starting to clear up just slightly, but is still watering though frown

#614314 - 04/12/2002 08:53 Re: Hayfever
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
I get all the same symptoms as Mick, at least here in Tas my hayfever is usually shorter duration than it was in NSW.

Those who don't get it just don't understand how annoying it is.

#614315 - 04/12/2002 10:19 Re: Hayfever
Nullamanna WX Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That is very true, tassie tiger.
I've just started on a course of acupuncture for my hayfever (I HATE NEEDLE'S) and even though the symptons are definately a lot better I'm not too sure about the long term benefits. They are part of a normal consultation fee, if your doctor does acupuncture, so it doesn't cost any extra. Worth a try if anyone is interested. My partner get's sinusitis from working in a air-conditioned office all the time and she swears by it.

Fine elsewhere,
I used to have the same problem when I was at home on the property 'cause we lived in the wheat belt of Sth Aust and as you can imagine during harvest I would have to hide inside for most of it and then when I went down to Adelaide the empty paddocks would be full of Salvation Jane/Paterson's curse and they would send me off, too. Been taking AVIL's now for about twenty five to thirty years and I find they work a treat and they are little fuss to take, except they taste god damn awful if they get stuck in your throat as you swallow them. Have you tried POLARIMINE's (Little red footballs) they are supposed to be similar.

Mick.

#614316 - 04/12/2002 15:49 Re: Hayfever
Flicky Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Caroline Springs, Melbourne (W...
I moved to Aussie in Jan this year and I've found I get really bad hayfever. It stopped this year in April/May...but started up again in August. I get REALLY itchy eyes and my face feels blocked up..often only on one side at a time lol.

I take that Cleinize(sp?)stuff, but the special one that helps itchy eyes...it's meant to keep me awake, but knocks me out pretty darn fast.

#614317 - 04/12/2002 16:04 Re: Hayfever
Blizzard Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains
A few months ago my wife was vaccinated for various allergens. She suffered terribly from various hay fever allergies (sore throat, cough, etc) and it has reduced her symptoms by around 75%. It's changed her life :cheers:

#614318 - 04/12/2002 17:11 Re: Hayfever
boganation Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Townsville - Queensland
I find I am severly allergic to cats, when I moved to a friends house for a while, my sneezing, sniffing and running nose all stopped. Got back home, and whadaya know.. back to the symptoms.

#614319 - 06/12/2002 14:27 Re: Hayfever
Peto Offline

Loc: Killarney SE QLD, 757 mts ASL
Unfortunately I also happen to fall vitim to the dreaded hayfever, and living and working on a farm makes it especially difficult.

Usually, I get the watery eyes, runny nose and scratchy throat, but a few times my the white of my eye swells up and goes a bit like jelly. Quite a gruesome sight.

I have just come inside now from mowing the grass, and let me tell you it is driving me crazy! Better go and take a Polaramine (they seem to work well).
:cheers:
-Tony

#614320 - 06/12/2002 14:40 Re: Hayfever
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

Hello Tony.....

Fortunatly my Hayfever is now gone cool cool

I know how it feels to have watery eyes and runny nose all day, and then days on end, it's just terrible frown I really do real sorry for people with Hayfever ATM and i pray that it calms down soon smile

#614321 - 06/12/2002 15:43 Re: Hayfever
Ben Offline

Loc: Loganholme/Tweed Coast
yeah my mum has hayfever....doesn't help to much... I got allergies too (chemical sensativitys) which makes life difficult can't go near sprays,petrol,perfumes,paints,detergeants anything that has a substance called toluene in it if i get to much of it i lose weight and get sick about 1% of the population has it which really annoys me.... anyway thats nto hayfever is it :p can't u have something removed round your nose to stop hayfever or somethin? they offered for that to be removed when i had my tonsils remove but no use neway since i don't get hayfever laugh

Ben

#614322 - 06/12/2002 15:53 Re: Hayfever
bora Offline

Loc: suburburbia sydney
Dear CM
There are several different meds you can take.
There are the preventatives which include teldane(terfadine), clartyne( loratadine), zyrtec(cetrizidine),telfast(fexofenadine).
The most effective appears to be zyrtec however this drug causes sedation in approx. 20% of people.At times during high pollen days you may require 2 or more doses
Alternativly some people prefer nasal spray preventatives like Rhinocort.You should be avoiding things that contain psuedoephidrine as that can cause insomnia,agitation,restlessness and a rapid heart rate.Flu mixtures only relieve short term symptoms.
Actually this year due to the drought the pollen problem hasn't been too bad..for me that is..
Your doctor could also prescribe you topical eye drops....
You are best seeing him if if the above don't work.
:cheers:

#614323 - 06/12/2002 16:00 Re: Hayfever
David Simpson. Offline
Weatherzone Administrator/Moderator

Loc: Tasmania
Since moving from Tassie I get hayfever almost constantly between November and March, have recently discovered Beconase nasal spray, seems to work better than anything else I have tried. Amazing how one forgets about hayfever when filming an approaching roll-cloud in a hot northerly!

#614324 - 06/12/2002 16:13 Re: Hayfever
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

:wave:

#614325 - 06/12/2002 20:09 Re: Hayfever
TrenthamStormchasers Offline

Loc: Trentham 705m
I've found that the only thing that works for me is Avil Retard - 75mg Pheniramine Maleate (the normal Avil isn't strong enough for me) - I can take as many of these during 24 hours as I want - but I take them only when I need them - they don't even make me drowsy but they tend to make others unconscious for up to 24 hours so they must be pretty potent frown

These are meant to be slow release but they work quickly for me. The bad years for me are the ones where A. Retard doesn't work (about 1 in 7) and I suffer horrendously.... Started taking them when I was 20 eek and still take them now. Last year was a no-hayfever year for me, this year is shaping up to be a bad one but a good one for the unit price of Kleenex........

Jane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (ThD Ht), 255 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23614 Topics
1452199 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image