NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#655394 - 17/12/2006 22:52 How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Zacy-G Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Redcliffe, Queensland
I have just started doing this, I use Adobe Photoshop CS2. You can download a free trial from https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cf...oduct=photoshop , another could be Jasc Paintshop Pro. I am just giving you ideas. If you want send your pics to me on msn - wordlife892@hotmail.com - I would be happy to do it for you.

1. Download the neccesary image editing program and run it.
2. Open Microsoft Word and type in Your Name. The will turn into a copyright logo - . Copy it.
3. Next open the image in the photo editing program. On Photoshop it is File>Open. Select the image and open it. Screenshot Below.

4. Then select the text toolbar icon. Screenshot Below.

5. Click and drag on the little box that comes up. Screenshot Below. This is the text box. Select your font options. I use Times New Roman, size 8 and white as the colour. Screenshot Below.

6. Next with the text box selected. Click Edit>Paste, this will paste the text from MS Word into the text box. The below screenshot will be what your screen will look like. Only with your name instead of Zac Graham. [Me].

7. Click the arrow icon in the toolbar to reposition the text to where you want it. The Screenshot is below.

8. File>Save. Change the settings from a .pdf to a .jpg as shown in the screenshot below. Click save.

9. Choose your image quality and it will have saved.

That's all I hope I have helped a few more of you.

Finished Product
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4508/go...ler10001kl3.jpg

#655395 - 18/12/2006 07:59 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Leopold Offline

Loc: Greta - Hunter Valley - NSW
Just remember watermarking is VERY different to copyrighting. The best way to not have your photos stolen is to not share them as digital copies at all. If you must share them, share them at a small resolution.

#655396 - 19/12/2006 22:10 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Squid Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Murgon
watermarking solves that problem doesnt it?

#655397 - 19/12/2006 22:49 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
stormygirl Offline
Weather Babe and Moderator

Loc: Melbourne, SE Burbs
That depends on the type of watermark and how large it is Squid! Any one can crop an image and crop out the watermark/name or clone it out if it is at the edge of an image. The only way to help prevent this is to add the watermark/name to a spot that would require some difficulty in removing it, and if they did, would most likely render the image useless anyway. As a suggestion.....

I refuse to do this at this stage, because I want people to enjoy my images and not have to look through an annoying name! However, if I believe I have taken the money shot I will change my mind I'm sure, and possibly move on to larger translucent proper watermarks, not just my name.

#655398 - 20/12/2006 08:02 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Squid Offline

cheers for the tip stormy That is what i would want to happen to the picture if people tried to take it with out my permission, I would want to to be useless to them after they had tried removing my name, Mind you i dont understand why people do this i mean it is only polite to ask to use peoples pics and worst thing they can say i no and then well you take your own pics. Plus i would rather people look through my name than have it nicked and someone make a killing on it esp if it was a rare event.

#655399 - 20/12/2006 09:19 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
stormygirl Offline
Weather Babe and Moderator

Loc: Melbourne, SE Burbs
I find what works best for me, as I seem to spend half my life processing pics in Photoshop, is to have my signature stored in the brush tool. All I do is click on a new layer, click the brush tool and up pops my sig. I change the colour if it's required and position it on the image where I like...and there it is! It certainly saves a lot of time when processing bulk images.

Here's the Tute if you are interested, Zac!

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/brush/cbrush7.htm

...and don't forget if using layers, to 'flatten' the image before you save it! Layer>Flatten OR Edit>Convert to Profile>Flatten (and change the profile to sRGB for web display/email.)

Good luck with your pics!

#655400 - 20/12/2006 09:47 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Squid Offline

I got something similar for my pics and you are right it does save alot of time

#655401 - 22/12/2006 02:19 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Three of Nine Offline

Loc: Claremont Meadows
Something I posted on the other copyright thread in non-weather photography. - BE AWARE of this is you intend on putting e-mailing or posting pics on the net.....

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000049;p=1

I agree with Marty, unfortunately, my photograph of the extreamly close strike with leaders, is ripped off by many sites, and it takes a long time to find them all, and then get them to sort out the problem.

I have a watermark and copyright on the photograph, but unfortunately, but websites, such as Break.com have posted my photograph without permission, and have actually placed their logo over my watermark!!!!! As if ripping off my photo was not enough. And they have done it twice this year with the one photograph, you would think that they would learn the first time.

So be careful, put on a watermark, with copyright, but don't expect that to stop the evil people out there from ripping off your photograph.

I have been paid by several print publications for the use of my photograph, eg SMH, Ralph, and generally they are pretty good. For my photograph bring put in the BOM weather calender for 2006, I got 4 calenders, and christmas cards, and stuff like that.

Kane.

#655402 - 22/12/2006 21:04 Re: How To: Put copyrights on your photos
Three of Nine Offline

Loc: Claremont Meadows
I have had a few people ask how to go about getting photos published and getting paid for it. I was going to post a response in on of the copyright threads, but thought it really warranted it's own thread, especially since it got quiet long.

Here is the link:-
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000050

Kane.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
alby, controler, NCSC - Antonio, puca
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image