NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#658875 - 24/10/2008 16:31 Video Camera Mounts
David Findlay Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Woody Point, Qld
Been a while since these were discussed, I'd like to show off my new acquistion.

This is a professional car camera mount as used in TV shows like Topgear. I bought it from this mob: B-Hague . Seems quite good, will upload a short video showing it in action later. Dead steady video.

What's everyone else using? Thanks,

David

#658876 - 24/10/2008 19:20 Re: Video Camera Mounts
RV Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Geranium, Home of Virga
Looks cool, Is it legal to have it mounted on the front window?? Does it obscure your vision? Will it stick to the dash??

#658877 - 24/10/2008 20:24 Re: Video Camera Mounts
David Findlay Offline
Weather Freak

Sticks to any hard non porous surface, not sure about legality, doesn't obscure view much, and certainly safer than handheld that most chasers do atm.

David

#658878 - 24/10/2008 22:15 Re: Video Camera Mounts
Chris6791 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lancelin
It does look like a well made piece of kit but yeah RV, it wouldn't be hard to give a ticket for it, either it obscuring the driver's vision, operating it whilst driving, having an audiovisual device operating where the driver can see it, more so with the gps or whatever it is tucked in behind it, the list of things you could get knocked off for is endless, but as long as you are being 'seen' to be responsible and don't have it right in front of your face you stand a decent chance of getting away without a fine if you get stopped.

#658879 - 25/10/2008 09:21 Re: Video Camera Mounts
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Completely offtopic (not to mention irresponsible!!) of course wink

But one could switch the camera to IR mode at night if your lights go out and drive home using the little screen... ghost car anyone?!

Looks like a serious bit of kit David, could nearly swing a big studio TV camera off it! wink

#658880 - 25/10/2008 09:35 Re: Video Camera Mounts
David Findlay Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris6791:
It does look like a well made piece of kit but yeah RV, it wouldn't be hard to give a ticket for it,
Yeah if they really wanted to they could. But in practice the amount of visibility it takes is really minimal. In the configuration I have from the drivers perspective the suction cup is behind the rear view mirror, and the camera obscures part of the bonnet, but not the road. The LCD screen isn't visible at all from driving location. The hanging bit doesn't really block much view. I am in a 4WD though so the configuration is probably a bit different to many people's driving situation.

Overall I think it makes a great improvement to safety. Thanks,

David

#658881 - 25/10/2008 09:37 Re: Video Camera Mounts
David Findlay Offline
Weather Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy McDandy:
Completely offtopic (not to mention irresponsible!!) of course wink

But one could switch the camera to IR mode at night if your lights go out and drive home using the little screen... ghost car anyone?!

Looks like a serious bit of kit David, could nearly swing a big studio TV camera off it! wink
LOL my camera's night mode is a blurred mess. It can handle up to 1.5kg. So provided your studio cam is small yeah it'd do it. I've seen these used on several car shows on TV. Plus it's all based on manfrotto equipment so you can expand the kit easily. Thanks,

David

#658882 - 25/10/2008 09:43 Re: Video Camera Mounts
Shayne Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
Hey Andy and David...

i still have the bracket that i had mounted low on the dash in the Frontera (will probably end up mounted on the Suzi shooters buggy im building), one of my camcorders is a Panasonic NV10 with night shot and i tried that once (at low speed)on a property..once set the manual focus was fine but i was constantly leaning over to see what was out front..flip out screen is on the wrong side!

much more efficient to use my night vision monocular headset and some bright IR diodes in place of the QH parking bulbs in the headlights...lmao

ive been experimenting with the head of a cheap tripod mounted on a tube thats then u-bolted to the headrest risers in the fairmont as a video camera mount (photos to follow..), it gets around the whole AV/Distraction scenario as Chris mentions but sadly it shows off a little to many of my bad driving habits...let alone some of the things i say in the privacy of my car about other drivers.. mad

Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image