Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#751472 - 14/09/2004 09:38 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Yer to a slim degree tornadosky. In the early morning winds are generally very light and variable, especially within a large high pressure system or under a ridge. Id expect winds to stir as the low level inversion is broken by the suns heat and sw to westerly winds to mix down to the surface as the day wears on. Not much tho.

Had an absolutely TORRENTIAL downpour just before sunset last night! Cloud was as black as death, very dark, very low base. Was like the base of an American thunderstorm almost and it bucketed down. Didnt last that long however, got 5mm in about 5mins from it. Got pics too will post some tonight.

Atm we have generally few Stratus clouds around 1000ft, areas broken Stratocumulus around 3500ft with broken Cirrus and cirrostratus at about 22000ft laugh

TS cool

#751473 - 14/09/2004 13:58 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Tornadosky Offline

Loc: Adelaide
Thanks Thunderstruck - I will keep an eye on those early winds. Sometime when there's no other action weatherwise I will post a thread on the local variations in the winds around Adelaide (and in any other areas of SA where we have posters) so we can compare notes and ideas on the topic.

I was interested to hear of your brief but very heavy downpour yesterday afternoon. The atmosphere seemed surprisingly unstable for an apparently innocous situation - I would guess perhaps that another cold pool of air came over central South Australia in the afternoon. I'm not sure I heard this correctly but I think Blythe got an unlikely 18 mm in the 24 hours to 9am this morning. smile

#751474 - 14/09/2004 14:17 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Tornadosky Offline

I've just been outside 1.45 pm (Payneham Adelaide) to look at the clouds and there is a lot of swirling around in the convective clouds that are building up overhead - the clouds themselves aren't building up to any great height and don't look like they are going to precipite but the atmosphere is clearly quite unstable in the layer they are building in.

#751475 - 14/09/2004 14:21 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Yer I think this shower possibly resulted from a localised area of convergence at the sfc, combined with high sfc moisture levels and increasing dps as dusk fell and left over warmth from the day cloud quickly convected underneath an inversion, punctured thru it for a few thousand feet and then died off as the whole cell(s) moved NE.

I would love to have a thread for Adelaide, why not do what they are doing in Sydney. But keep it in the GENERAL WEATHER section if it i to be continuous, could make our daily forecasts and thoughts and I would be willing to help out those who want to learn more laugh (still learning myself, am only 20...one things for sure IMO and its that you never stop learning things in life.

EDIT <--- Just saw your 1:45pm post tornadosky, yes there is some convective activity going on, the Cumulus on the ranges are forming in nice cloud streets. Looks pretty cool. Ranges are always favoured areas for convection, especially if the wind is blowing along the range or perpendicular to it, where orographic processes also play a part smile

TS cool

#751476 - 14/09/2004 18:52 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Tornadosky Offline

Thunderstruck suggests “I would love to have a thread for Adelaide, why not do what they are doing in Sydney. But keep it in the GENERAL WEATHER section if it i to be continuous, could make our daily forecasts and thoughts”. Sounds like a good idea if enough people are interested - we could try it out and see how it goes anyway. Perhaps with limited expectations to start with, so Thunderstruck and anyone else doing daily forecasting doesn’t feel under any pressure to put in forecasts every day if they have other things they need to do. Do we have enough people with the time to contribute reasonably regularly, in addition to making their contributions to other threads? Thunderstruck if you were the only person doing the regular forecasting and others were putting in intermittent forecasts and comments, would you still be interested in doing it? I would be interested to hear what others think about the idea.

Adelaide's weather yesterday frown
Adelaide's weather today smile

#751477 - 14/09/2004 18:58 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Sorry guys IMO it would be a waste of space... but go for it if you really want to. I am not THAT obsessed with the weather, despite what my wife says... wink

#751478 - 14/09/2004 20:01 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
i would be interesting in learning some stuff from the masters but obviously could not contribute that much just yet wink

#751479 - 14/09/2004 20:42 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
volkl Offline
Volunteer Moderator

Loc: Wangaratta.....and proud of it...
Guys, thats a good idea if you want to do that in the general weather. Theres already a couple over there, sydney, orange, new zealand. Just like theres a highcountry ramblings thread, these work well over there in general weather.

#751480 - 14/09/2004 21:31 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Quote:
Originally posted by teckert:
I am not THAT obsessed with the weather
Yeah right ROFL.. laugh laugh laugh

I would be happy to follow the thread, I have so much to learn its really not funny, So why not do it in real time.. smile

#751481 - 14/09/2004 21:35 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

LOL nothing about weather is too much for me. I can never get enough and I have no limit LOL. My status is pretty accurate of me lol, so yer I have time, doesnt take me long I can think quickly and will put out forecasts, and help those who ask for it, teach, learn whatever u's all want smile

TS cool

#751482 - 15/09/2004 00:05 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
lol lennie, gotta love the farmers union iced coffee in your profile

i myself am an avid drinker, could do with another one now hehehheh. t'storms and iced cofee, what more could a man want?

#751483 - 15/09/2004 05:42 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Tornadosky Offline

Having slept on Thunderstruck’s idea and then read the last few posts, I am neutral about the idea - I will be happy to follow the thread if it’s there and post comments sometimes, or happy not to follow the thread if it’s not there. Thunderstruck if you want to go ahead with it - the ball seems to be in your court - Volkl has given it his blessing so there won’t be a problem with the moderators. It’s simply a matter of starting it. But if it stretches our resources too thin then we should put it to bed for a while till we get more people contributing from South Australia. An alternative would be to start more threads and make more forecasts in this Breaking Weather forum. I don't think we need to restrict ourselves to threads on only the most dramatic weather systems. Just my thoughts anyway.

Meanwhile, I was wondering if one of the forecasters amongst you would like to start a new thread in this Breaking Weather forum on the coming few days. Will the large high with centres currently over central SA and in the India Ocean get a grip on the weather in the southern coastal fringe of SA including Adelaide or will the westerlies continue to predominate? Will the weak trough BOM is predicting will form over Western Australia eventually produce any significant weather in SA eg convective showers or storms? When will the dominance of the high end over SA?

At 430 am this morning Wednesday there was a 31 k westerly on top of Mount Lofty so the high has not taken over fully yet.

#751484 - 15/09/2004 12:55 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Yer I'll do that, if you wish to follow you can.

Ill keep it on the general weather thread and in that Adelaide thread Ill cover the current situations day to day to save starting a thread in breaking weather about the high or weak trough because really they are not of much 'interest' or significance. Keep breaking weather to stronger up and coming systems laugh

TS cool

#751485 - 15/09/2004 15:51 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Seira Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Well it sounds like a fair few places around the state got some pretty low mins during last weekend. We were lucky (cos I don't like really low mins) and only got down to ~ 5 at the best. Although we only got ~8 mm from the whole system, most of the falls came in short, sporadic bursts from the cold-air showers. Plenty of small hail reported around the place. I wouldn't be surprised if people got pink on their roofs and it didn't show up pink on the BoM radar. As for any developments that have occur thereafter, we've had virtually nothing, with crappy St, Cu, Sc and Ac/As drifting across the sky for most of the week so far. Sounds like TS was lucky enough to get those torrential gust-front conditions he did. That would have been awesome laugh , esp. with that gusty cloud cover and black to grey sky smile .
:cheers:

#751486 - 16/09/2004 06:51 Re: S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr
Tornadosky Offline

Osprey - I noticed that the minimum temps at Clare over the past few days have been really cold - within 1 - 3 degrees of zero - are you enjoying the brisk starts to the mornings cool ? Have you had more frosts since the pipe-freezing one?

Nazdeck says “Well it sounds like a fair few places around the state got some pretty low mins during last weekend. We were lucky (cos I don't like really low mins) and only got down to ~ 5 at the best.” I don’t either - and particular when cloud cover forms soon after sunrise and stays there all day as it sometimes does when near the centres of big highs. frown
Your turn may come for cold mornings now that the night skies are clearing.

By the way Thunda Hunta - your prediction in the heading to this thread “S.A. Fri 10th - Mon 13th....Brrrrrrrr” was spot on - it wasn’t a classic cold outburst but it sure was cold - even one report of snow smile .

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Helen, Lindsay Knowles, Markus, teckert 
Who's Online
8 registered (Foehn Correspondent, Mcbobbings, Townsvilleblowin, samboz, kathrynsview, weatheriam, Homer, 1 invisible), 91 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
MatthewBr, Raweth, Russellmill
Forum Stats
29654 Members
32 Forums
23978 Topics
1500434 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image