Topic Options
#809717 - 25/12/2009 20:52 New site: is there a decent isobar chart anywhere now?
fractonimbus Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Canberra
I'm a bit alarmed at the dumbing down (as it appears to me) of the synoptic charts in WZone. But perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

The "pretty" chart with lots of big arrows may suit the Weather Channel type user, but it would be nice to see a standard pressure analysis chart (surface and higher) without having to go to BOM.

Are such things still available on WZone?

fracto.

#811127 - 30/12/2009 15:16 Re: New site: is there a decent isobar chart anywhere now? [Re: fractonimbus]
Andrew Miskelly Offline
Weatherzone Webmaster

Loc: Mittagong, NSW
Hi Fracto,

'Dumbing down' is certainly not the intention. In fact the way the jet stream is presented on the new charts (which admittedly needs some explanation) makes it possible to get an excellent idea of what the upper atmosphere is doing an how it relates to the surface pattern from one reasonably approachable chart.

The more technical alternative as far as Weatherzone is concerned is to look at the model analyses.

#894156 - 28/10/2010 18:04 Re: New site: is there a decent isobar chart anywhere now? [Re: Andrew Miskelly]
Surly Bond Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Manilla, near Tamworth NSW
I also am put off by the new synoptic charts.

Traditional synoptic charts are in my bones, but these coloured streamers and arrows baffle me completely. I can't understand them, and I have to peer through them to see the isobars.
Andrew says "which admittedly needs some explanation". Yes, please explain!

I have looked for an explanation without success.

#894159 - 28/10/2010 18:17 Re: New site: is there a decent isobar chart anywhere now? [Re: Surly Bond]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
i love the new synoptic charts and made the transition very easily from the older ones. you can easily see the different strength of he jetstream, rainfall is more accurate and to me those different coloured arrows show the main direction of the wind and the temperature it is, red = hot, yellow = warm and blue = cold, this is how i interpret it but maybe you could add a legend for the arrows on the synoptic charts?

#894160 - 28/10/2010 18:26 Re: New site: is there a decent isobar chart anywhere now? [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
Matt Pearce Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kariong, NSW
Schummy is spot on the money with his interpretation of the charts. Yes - we probably should add a legend for the different elements of the chart. I'll take this on notice.

As Andrew stated earlier, the intention is for those looking for a more indepth description of the atmosphere, the computer models will fulfill this requirement.

The met-drawn synoptic maps are designed for the majority of users on the site who are after more of an overview at a user-friendly level.

#894171 - 28/10/2010 19:28 Re: New site: is there a decent isobar chart anywhere now? [Re: Matt Pearce]
Surly Bond Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Manilla, near Tamworth NSW
Wally Wallington ("Meteorology for Glider Pilots") said you have to know the intimate relation between the jet stream and the surface pressure pattern but I never did figure it out.
I think the new maps assume that everyone does understand it. A tutorial might make it all plain.

Who's Online
2 registered (StormCapture, 1 invisible), 474 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ladybeetle, Roddy001
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24188 Topics
1528919 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image