Page 681 of 1391 < 1 2 ... 679 680 681 682 683 ... 1390 1391 >
Topic Options
#819785 - 22/01/2010 23:43 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melton VIC
Deary me, so much to read!! 3 weeks is such a long time to catch up on in a forum like this!

But yes, I'm back from my trip to Sydney and it does kinda feel good to be home. I'm so exhausted after spending most of the last 2 months on the road (Gold Coast, Dad's holiday house and now almost a month in Sydney) so it's going to be good to kick back and relax.

Looks like I didn't miss out on much here, just heat, heat and more heat! To be honest, it was really no different in Sydney, in fact I'd almost say it was worse because we would have only had 2 or 3 days under 30 and with the damn humidity, it felt like 40 degrees every bloody day! At least with the humidity came the storms smile We only had a couple of direct hits at my Dad's house, but I'd say at least 60-70% of the days had very near misses. Certainly gave me a good chance to test out the new camera. Unfortunately no pics of any lightning but a couple of good ones of some structure:

First Day (storm missed us by about 2km, got some good rumbles out of it) :

An interesting cloud that accompanied the storm:

Second Day (missed by about 15km) :

Our third direct hit (first two happened on the day of the Bulls v Blues T20D match - those that watch the cricket will remember it was delayed by an hour and a half mad ) :

Aaaaaand that's probably enough photospam for now, there are hundreds more I could post but I think I'd bore you all poke

One thing I will ask is for tips on how I can get my images to come out more clear. A lot of my pictures come out pretty clear but are not exactly as sharp as I had hoped. I spose I'm still playing around and learning the settings of the new camera but any hints on how I could improve photo quality would me much appreciated smile

Anyways, back to the day to day slog of everyday life, hopefully the weather can pick up a bit and make it more interesting...

#819799 - 23/01/2010 00:43 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: -Deano-]
Max Record Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide
Originally Posted By: -Deano-
An interesting cloud that accompanied the storm:

The Kelvin-Helmholtz cloud! My very first post on this site has it! smile

Edited by Max Record (23/01/2010 00:43)
2014: 450.4mm
2013: 470.6mm
2012: 426.8mm
2011: 518.2mm
2010: 549.4mm
2009: 459.2mm
Yearly Average: 460mm

#819802 - 23/01/2010 00:46 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Max Record]
Max Record Offline
Weatherzone Addict

And might I add, I've never seen one since, and from what I've read about them, they are rather uncommon.
2014: 450.4mm
2013: 470.6mm
2012: 426.8mm
2011: 518.2mm
2010: 549.4mm
2009: 459.2mm
Yearly Average: 460mm

#819839 - 23/01/2010 01:28 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Max Record]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Max Record
And might I add, I've never seen one since, and from what I've read about them, they are rather uncommon.

Really? I wonder if the severe instability from the storms helped create it?

#819942 - 23/01/2010 07:32 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: -Deano-]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

And a Spotted Turtle-dove smile

#820027 - 23/01/2010 09:04 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Unstable]
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Lincoln, Eyre Peninsula
Those Kelvin-Helmholtz are a little more common than you would think smile In my line of work I'm outdoors for most of the day and get the opportunity to look up at the clouds quite a bit, I usually see them 2-3 times in a month, sometimes more, they don't last long at all so you really need to be observant if you want to catch one, I'm not sure that severe instability would help create them though seeing as the mechanisms for the Kelvin-Helmholtz, I would have thought to be, mostly horizontal, with sheer being the major player creating a 'rolling' between the differing wind speed layers that we see as the waves...just my thoughts smile

#820032 - 23/01/2010 09:11 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Unstable]
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Loc: Near Victor Harbor S.A.
Hi all. Head to the coast! ATM 18.3C with a nice Southerly at 9 knots.
Light drizzle/showers ongoing.

#821166 - 24/01/2010 01:18 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: liz]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

BAH! The day AFTER I leave my Dad's house, they have better storms than any that we had in the 3 weeks we were there. Always seems to be the case poke

It's quite cool and gusty here at the moment, I'd hesitate a guess that the winds are gusting up around 40km/h, maybe more at times. Looks like I'll be using a quilt tonight for the first time since before we went to Sydney! smile

#821740 - 24/01/2010 12:19 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: -Deano-]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Re Deano's comment
"One thing I will ask is for tips on how I can get my images to come out more clear.
A lot of my pictures come out pretty clear but are not exactly as sharp as I had hoped. I spose I'm still playing around and learning the settings of the new camera but any hints on how I could improve photo quality would me much appreciated"
Deano can I suggest you start a thread in the weather photography forum and post two or three of the photos you don't think are as sharp as you expected or would like them to be and ask for opinions and tips there, and let us saliens know the url to the thread too.
My impression is from watching and photoing clouds is that very often their edges are not particularly sharply defined doe to the effects of haze and distance and who knows what other optical effects.
A polarising filter can improve clarity as explained to me by several members of our sa forums including Helen and Fizzer. I purchsed one for about 50 dolls if I remember correctly. It also protects your lens from fingermarks and getting wet and dusty, and being chipped by giant hailstones and tornado-driven sand grains smile
Also I suggest reading any discussion you can find on the forums about getting the correct long-distance focus when filming clouds and lightning - remember Seaworthy commenting on that a while back - it may not be as simple as it sounds.
Also you could post two or three or more images you've taken of landscapes or whatever and get some comments on whether they are as sharp as would be expectged for your kind of camera.

#821762 - 24/01/2010 12:47 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Chris I do hope you're making good progress, and your hospital holiday comes to an end shortly, fun as I'm sure it is crazy if it hasn't already. Looking forwards to you and your skyprobing camera back on the boards soon smile

#821820 - 24/01/2010 13:36 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Unstable]
Meteorological Motor Mouth

This may be of interest, it may not?

Was looking through my 2009 data summary trying to find something to rattle on about for a monthly article I write. In the sheer overwhelming state of boredom I found this little tidbit which has somehow slipped me by. An interesting stat is the duration of rain over the 12 months. In other words if all the rain that fell during the year was continuous how long would it be raining for. It is a bit difficult to calculate to 100% accuracy from the logs my weather station outputs. However my method of doing so is consistent and in this way gives quite a reasonable indicator of one year to the next.
I average 279 hours of rain a year or ~ 11.6 days. Quite a long time for such a moderate annual total. Its a good indicator of just how light most of our rainfall is, averaging just 3.1mm/hour rate! Consider that the tropics can not uncommonly get our annual average in 24-36 hours at (literally) 10 times this rate puts this into national and global perspective.

Anyways, 2009 was interesting in that it seemed to be a year of generally heavier rainfall. For my 968mm to fall it took 237 hours or ~9.9 days. This is an average hourly rate of ~4mm. Still quite light in national terms, but significantly more than my average and the highest I have yet to record. In this statistic at least 2009 was truly quite significant rainfall wise.

now back to drolldom........

#821862 - 24/01/2010 14:10 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Thunderstruck]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Happy Birthday Ricky (only 4 metres above sea level at Brighton)!
cheers

Very interesting figures there Hillsrain - as you say a pretty low rate per hour - I guess there's many hours of light rain from middle level cloud, and from lengthy light tapering off on the back end of showers and storms, and plenty of persistent drizzle periods.

#821921 - 24/01/2010 14:44 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Unstable]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good suggestion there US re. the camera question. I'll get around to it when I have time to sort through some pictures to find some examples of what I mean.

#822140 - 24/01/2010 17:30 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: -Deano-]
buggerthatwasclose Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: HILLBANK, S.A. 80m.asl- great ...
MHROTD Ricky.

Deano, many factors are involved here, with me it's old age and the shakes bounce or bounce, tripod and cable release are a must. Even with lightning I can get the distant strikes sharp and close ones, not sharp, or vice versa depends on your f stop and focal length combination. Before I got the release for the digital I was trying to hold the release button down by hand, no way. A polariser is brilliant for defining storm clouds in the right light.

I also remember a post or two in the weather photography section on the very same subject.
Long live digital, for lightning at least!!

Good shooting, John.

#822288 - 24/01/2010 21:11 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: buggerthatwasclose]
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Deano, rule #1 don't pixel peep. Its a thrashing to nowhere.
Not that this helps of course and without samples its impossible to say.
Clouds can be very hard to get a good focus on. Look for a distant horizon object with sharp contrasts for the AF to work with then recompose if necessary with the focus locked in. Contrast detect AF works as its name suggests.
Skyscapes often look better with a foreground in focus anyway. With the foreground nailed a reduction in image size for web or native pixel count print @300dpi will usually still yield nice crisp looking clouds even if they look soft at 100%. Hence don't pixel peep.
Aperture can affect the appearance of focus even if focus is spot on.
Polarisers rock in the right light(angle of light) but they don't make a sharp image, just nice contrast where it looks best and gives the appearance of sharpness sometimes.
Good AF (or manual) and good lenses and right aperture/shutter make sharp images.
Master the art of USM, its your friend wink

#822322 - 24/01/2010 22:24 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ----]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments, I think it will probably just be a case of playing around with the settings to see what works best for me smile

#822541 - 25/01/2010 15:02 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: -Deano-]
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
Sound advice there Tim.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I prefer to get a focus on the foreground and then recompose the scene to include more sky if necessary. In my opinion clouds are by their very nature not that defined and do not have sharp edges in the same way a fence post or road marking would, hence I do not see the need to make them so. As mentioned earlier there are always going to be atmospheric conditions that may reduce detail but a bit of contrast seems to help that problem somewhat.

Deano, I can't remember if you got a DSLR or P+S but I have stopped using polarisers altogether because putting them in front of a $1200 piece of glass is like cleaning a car with sandpaper really. It is essentially putting a low quality piece of glass or perspex in front of a high quality piece of glass. Obviously there are very high quality filters out there but I'd rather just utilise the lens that I payed for. Polarisers were a great novelty to me in the early days but I found with a bit more to care as to where (and what) I was shooting in relation to the sun I could still get nice deep blue skies and better image quality to boot. But anyway if you are just using a P+S it wont matter too much I suppose, we all have to start somewhere. There are lots of bits to learn but you will get there in the end. But yeah as Throp said there needs to be some degree of post processing in most cases.

Edited by seaworthy (25/01/2010 15:03)

#822547 - 25/01/2010 15:07 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: seaworthy]
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
All of the above there Dean. smile

Speaking of clouds and focus, I ventured out (actually I was retrieving the dog) to a surreal sunrise this morning... was redder than this when I got the pooch, if you can believe it.

Currently 38.4C here... kinda explains the colour. wink
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#822552 - 25/01/2010 15:19 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Helen]
rstewart84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kalangadoo,South Australia
Okay everyone since its almost February might as well start throwing our predictions into the ring of what next month is going to be like weather wise i might as well start wink

Since this month has been up and down in terms of weather im guessing that february will heat up in the 2nd week if not earlier after another short lived cool spell lasting about 3 days... were also likely to see more storms both high and middle based that affect every where and not just selected areas

#822565 - 25/01/2010 15:43 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Helen]
_Chris_ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Marleston
We'll, I'm back.... for the time being at the least. Thank you for all the best wishes, the mean a lot. I'll go through all the recent posts more thoroughly once I'm rested. What an adventure that has been so far. Five O'clock I'm fine, by eight I can't stand, come ten hospitalized and being fasted for surgery. By the time they operated my appendix had burst so I had to have my whole lower cavity flushed out with liters and liters of saline to try and flush the infected material. Then after that, the tube that pumps CO2 into the cavity to see what they're doing punctured the side giving me surgical emphasima (basically where your skin peeled is inflated like a balloon over most of your body). That then landed me in HDU, all nice and Puffed up with not the most attractive of odds. It can happen with so little warning, just hours for me from niggle to burst, so please don't ignore symptoms like this and hope they'll just go away. All of that however was no where near as painful as looking out that bloody window, day after day and seeing the same old groundhog day, monotonous, boring, dull, South Australian sky scape!

Page 681 of 1391 < 1 2 ... 679 680 681 682 683 ... 1390 1391 >

Moderator:  Helen, Lindsay Knowles, Markus, teckert 
Who's Online
13 registered (scott12, Mathew, GringosRain, Wave Rider, Mamma Tus, Blowin', Mike Hauber, RC, justme, ozone doug, Simmo FNQ, Coxy, 1 invisible), 304 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
batty
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462533 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image