NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#862679 - 11/05/2010 08:11 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: seaworthy]
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
canberra weather, have u even been in a boat.

#862704 - 11/05/2010 10:44 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Dawgggg]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This will make CW happy, I read in todays paper that her return will be a class 1 event, along side the new years eve festivities and mardi gras due to an expected 10,000 people plus lining the shores and 300 plus boats following her in.

#862841 - 11/05/2010 23:10 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Poor girl has just spent umpteen months by herself and is going to get swamped with people. If it was me, I'd keep going to Brisbane cause they don't have a harbour worthy of the name and couldn't organise a fart in a baked bean factory. Yep head straight for Brisbane girl and just sort of slip in unnoticed.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#862860 - 12/05/2010 06:35 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Dawgggg]
Canberra's Weather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Canberra
Originally Posted By: Trav Dog
canberra weather, have u even been in a boat.
I am not a sailor, but I know media hype when I see it, I know excess and disproportionate news coverage drawing for too long over a period of months on a daily basis when I see it, and I know grotesque ego hyperinflation when I see it. And I do understand what "overrated" means, and I understand what "important news" really is.

So, the turnout will be 10,000 not 10 million ay? Well, looks like it won't be anymore than a lead story on all that night's TV news bulletins after all, right??

If they want to save lonely little Jessica from being swamped by all these people, they should at least tone down the profile instead of propping it up as an Earth-shattering news story giving us up-to-the-minute updates all the time. In this case it doesn't pay to ADVERTISE!!!

#862863 - 12/05/2010 07:12 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Canberra's Weather]
lightning chaser Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: nowra NSW
Originally Posted By: Canberra's Weather
And I do understand what "overrated" means, and I understand what "important news" really is.

well than canberras weather why don't you go and watch abc or sbs news, where they will focus on important ( and boring ) issues such as the budget, politics and in sbs'case - soccer. and don't worry you won't be forced to suffer through any human interest stories or see a puppy being rescued from a hole it fell into. And while you are watching this the rest of us can spend an hour on these forums free from your whinging.

My YouTube channel. Storms now, fishing videos coming soon.

#862906 - 12/05/2010 10:54 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: lightning chaser]
Keith Offline

Loc: Kings Langley, NSW
CW,

I can understand the frustration with the media. Their extravagances drive me mad at times. But there's no point jumping on here and carrying on about it. That isn't going to solve the problem. If you can't change the media (who of us can?) then you have to change the way you deal with them.

In any case the media antics have nothing to do with what Jessica has achieved. She has done that regardless of media input, and that is the only thing that should be remembered here.

#862919 - 12/05/2010 12:37 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Keith]
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
CW = Constant Whinger?

#862927 - 12/05/2010 13:15 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Keith Offline

OK TC that's not going to help.

Back on topic, she will have some large swells to contend with as a result of a deepening Tasman Sea low.

#862942 - 12/05/2010 15:20 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Keith]
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Keith
CW,

I can understand the frustration with the media. Their extravagances drive me mad at times. But there's no point jumping on here and carrying on about it. That isn't going to solve the problem. If you can't change the media (who of us can?) then you have to change the way you deal with them.

In any case the media antics have nothing to do with what Jessica has achieved. She has done that regardless of media input, and that is the only thing that should be remembered here.
Point taken.

I shall leave this thread alone now.

Seeya.

#863034 - 12/05/2010 21:46 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Canberra's Weather]
Dawgggg Offline

I just dont get it. Im a 18 year old guy and i dont like even going out to the reef in the boat. [censored] around the world !!!

#863045 - 12/05/2010 22:40 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Dawgggg]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Well come one then CW, let's stick u in a boat all alone and see how you go through the Southern Ocean and neighbouring seas - could even make a new movie for Castaway 2.

To be bluntly honest though, I don't think there has been anymore than a moderate amount of media attention on her voyage. She has hardly been headline news, can think of many other events that have been given a LOT more coverage currently and in the past. I say well done to her, fantastic achievement, far braver than I could ever be. She deserves whatever kudos she gets.

TS cool

#863072 - 13/05/2010 07:42 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Thunderstruck]
Keith Offline

I seem to remember Tony Bullimore getting much more attention in 1994 when he sailed across the Southern Ocean. He was much further south and the Navy had to rescue him after he capsized. And I think he was required to pay for the rescue costs, or at least people were calling for that. But Jessica had no attention for much of the time she was away.

There's one choice we do have in regard to media 'madness'. We can choose not to be manipulated by it. If more of us did that I think the world would be a better place.

I still think Jess should be honoured in some way for her achievements. If only more people her age set themselves goals like she has, instead of getting besotted with drugs, grog, rave parties and 'doof doof music'.

#863077 - 13/05/2010 08:14 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Keith]
Blizzard Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains
I think a lot of people her age do set goals for themselves. That's one of the things that they tell my wife quite often, that people think they are all just out there partying etc. Its just that we tend to hear of the ones partying too much, drugging etc because the media knows they make better news stories.

I know plenty of youngsters (hundreds that my wife has taught) that are wonderful kids. Just got an email from one of our former students who is studying violin at the conservatorium now and she practices hours and hours a day and is only nineteen. Used to do a 200k return trip from Bathurst for her lessons too, when my wife taught her. We have another student who wants to study medicine and then work in Africa with vulnerable kids there.

Jessica's efforts are inspiring but no more inspiring to me than the stories of thousands of other young people who are doing great things every day. It will be great to see her get home safely and then move onto the next goal in her life.

Edited by Blizzard (13/05/2010 08:14)

#863080 - 13/05/2010 08:36 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Blizzard]
Keith Offline

I'm not saying the majority of young people get into all that sort of thing but when I see, every day here, P-plate drivers burning rubber on my street, travelling way over the speed limit, in noisy cars that have such loud sub woofers in the boot that the whole house shakes, I really begin to wonder what gets into them.

If it were me, I'd use the same sub woofers to blast the populace with the piano music of Rachmaninov. That would change a few perceptions!

#863081 - 13/05/2010 08:43 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Keith]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well said Blizzard. Not taking away much from her huge undertaking, I would measure an inspirational effort or fantastic effort on how many people they help or touch directly. Was any of this trip used to raise support for charity or something? If not then it is for her sole benefit (which can be used to argue that she should not be getting any publicity at all, although that is unfair)and really all it does is make even younger people try to do it which eventually will lead to a tragedy. No doubting that.

Oh and Keith, the noise the sub makes is almost more powerful outside of the car then inside. Been in many a car with subs, you can generally still talk inside the car, whilst on the outside it seems inside there would be a jet engine. Just the nature of the beast.

Edited by Flooding rains (13/05/2010 08:47)

#863083 - 13/05/2010 08:57 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Or it could be that it is really loud but we are used to it lol.

#863084 - 13/05/2010 09:07 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Keith Offline

I have to admire the rich bass sound these things generate (as a musician myself) but from a passing car they sound like the perfect answer to annoying the hell out of your neighbours..oh well..whatever you do, don't let the music make you go deaf! Might be useful for thunderstorm dissipation (just kidding).

#863114 - 13/05/2010 14:46 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Keith]
Blizzard Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains
Yeah, I can't stand doof doof myself but I did play my AC/DC pretty loud as a lad. Now I tend to sit back and listen to ABC FM!

That's a good point re the charity side of Jessica's journey. I'll have to take more of a squiz around her site.

#863146 - 13/05/2010 18:57 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Blizzard]
Weatherzone Addict

I wonder if Channel Ten have a multi-million dollar deal going with Jessica, they're claiming exclusives for when all the TV channels flood our screens with live minute-by-minute coverage of her "homecoming" on Saturday and Sunday.

#863148 - 13/05/2010 19:08 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Canberra's Weather]
Farmer Offline
Weather Freak

Canberra's Weather why do you keep trolling in here?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
MatthewBr, Raweth, Russellmill
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image