NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#863441 - 16/05/2010 09:47 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Originally Posted By: Flooding rains

I would be careful as how to judge whether someone is an inspiration to us all. For her self achievement, brilliant, but as for inspiration there are many other young Australians out there touching other peoples lives in remarkable ways. They are the true inspirations.
I'd be careful about suggesting Jessica is not a true inspiration.
Yes there are plenty of others out there that are inspirations to others, but they are all TRUE inspirations, but on different levels of what they have done & achieved.

Edited by teckert (16/05/2010 09:48)

#863444 - 16/05/2010 09:50 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: teckert]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Townsville
I would just like to know what sailing around the world has really done to anyone outside of her and her family/crew. I guess it made people get some vitamin D from the sun yesterday out on the harbour.

#863446 - 16/05/2010 09:54 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
oh dear... have u been talking to CW?

its not the sailing around the world as much as the guts, determination, and the role model that she is for every other 16 year old in this country.

geeze sometimes I hate this country for its tall poppy syndrome. best country in the world but we wont hesitate to knock a person for doing something extraordinary in their life.

#863449 - 16/05/2010 10:01 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: teckert]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I knew you would take me out of context, haven't I said its a brilliant achievement..........? I can't imagine what 7 months out there would be like. I am not Jessica bashing, I am bashing the hype and hysteria and misuse and overuse of the 'Hero' and 'Inspiration' tags. I know a mate who has gone to Africa with his dad to help with foreign aid projects in a politically and socially insecure region. (he is 18). Will Hugh Rimington be there waiting for him at the airport when they return? I think not.

#863456 - 16/05/2010 10:20 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
There are many true inspirations FR, but at the end of the day Jessica is EXACTLY THAT. She is a role models for the young, people who need a guide in their life, need someone to look up to and who better than one of their very own. They feel a place with her. There are a lot of musguided youth out there and what she has done will certainly give them some belief that they can do whatever they put their mind to and be someone. 16 years old and as mature as any adult. Brilliant performance, on the seas and behind the microphone when I'm sure all she wanted to do was collapse in her bedroom back home.

TS cool

#863460 - 16/05/2010 10:23 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
TV ratings for the welcome home -
Rank, Total Audience, Syd, Mel, Bri, Adel, Per

20 SEVEN NEWS SPECIAL Seven 452,000 159,000 138,000 73,000 82,000
23 NINE NEWS SPECIAL Nine 429,000 139,000 120,000 91,000 28,000 50,000
45 JESSICA WATSON: THE HOMECOMING LIVE Ten 229,000 69,000 62,000 57,000 25,000 16,000
66 JESSICA WATSON: THE HOMECOMING LIVE EXTENDED ONE 144,000 30,000 49,000 31,000 24,000 10,000

for some reason one of ch7's markets is missing its audience figures.
2019 Yearly total to date - 2049.9mm (1129mm)

#863461 - 16/05/2010 10:26 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Mick10]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

So the channel that had 'exclusive rights' didn't even get the same as either 7 or 9 from both Ten and One.

#863464 - 16/05/2010 10:32 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
I would just like to know what sailing around the world has really done to anyone outside of her and her family/crew. I guess it made people get some vitamin D from the sun yesterday out on the harbour.

even if its done nothing for anyone outside her family etc, who cares if shes doing it for her self. good on her. IMO opinion that's definitely something that makes someone inspirational (along with other things too), they don't listen to the critics who bag them out, they don't inspire to be stuck in a dead end job or have wasted their life and made no personal achievements and only made achievements for their boss.... woooo.

She encourages people that ANYONE can live their dreams and dont fall into doing what they are told what to do and doing what they want to do.

all her critics are just jealous that deep down they are thinking "when i was 16 i couldn't do that" or "shes only 16 and done something bigger than i have achieved in my 50 years"

Look at what most people are doing at 16.. hate school, and long for the weekend so they can go to party's and drink. she has shown there is more exciting (and rewarding) things in life than partys, drinking, drugs and sex.

Edited by AaronD (16/05/2010 10:37)

#863467 - 16/05/2010 10:42 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: AaronD]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

All valid points, I guess however I am one that does not live in a fantasy land. Kids that are misguided are going to continue to be misguided unless it is there friends and family that steer them on the right track. Will power means everything. Jessica had very strong will power. At the end of the day, whether you see something on TV or not, it is you yourself that has to get up and act on the things you want to do. The only thing this will really do is encourage younger people to sail. If they want to do that so be it. My only beef is with the amount of unsung heroes out there. To them they would probably like it to stay that way. What sort of financial benefits will Jessica get out of this? I understand she sort out her own sponsors for this which is very good and show maturity as well.

I am not deep down thinking that, I know I will never do anything like that. I am probably 'moody' on this subject more so due to my mate I mentioned above who is in a very unsafe region. There for 6 months and will not get any real recognition at all. To me, that is massively inspirational.

Anyway, whatever. All people to their own.

Edited by Flooding rains (16/05/2010 10:47)

#863489 - 16/05/2010 11:51 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
split_city Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Noarlunga, South Australi...
In part, I agree with some points by everyone. Is she an inspiration to others? YES. Time will tell. I'm sure there will be some other young people who look up to her and say "yeah, I can do it!" Is Jessica a hero? NO she isn't. Leave that term to the diggers out there. The term "hero" is so overused these days. Keep it for people who actually deserve it.

I get sick and tired of people saying anyone who knocks people like Jessica, is simply just jealous. It's got nothing to do with jealously, in my case anyways. I'm not jealous of Jessica and I'm not knocking her. What she did was fantastic. A major achievement. I congratulate her. It's all about perspective and the way society and the media portray individuals. There are loads of people out there with achievements that go well beyond sailing around the world, but these people fail to get recognised or perhaps get a small article in the newspaper devoted to them.

At the end of the day, Jessica will get her 15 mins of fame and then we'll all move on and forget about her, waiting for the next 16 year old to climb Mt. Everest, followed by a ticker-tape parade, a book and a movie based on their events.

#863493 - 16/05/2010 12:11 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: split_city]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Beresfield - near Maitland, NS...
I agree with you Flooding Rains. Sure - brilliant achievement. But seriously, what about the 1000's of teenagers who never get mentioned in the 'teenagers are bad' rants, that do amazing things, without recognition - and without a million dollar sponsorship contract.

I fell extremely sorry for all the teenagers who break the standardised expectations of drinking, smoking and partying teenage hooligans - and don't get noticed one bit. These are the kids that willingly sacrifice there leisure time to touch other peoples lives. THESE are the ones that are true heroes, and a true inspiration to us all. Not a a teen who sailed around the world. Let me reiterate - brilliant achievement, and good on her - it must have taken a lot of guts. But NOT someone who we should be necassarily looking up to and modelling our lives after...

#863535 - 16/05/2010 18:25 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Habs Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Blacktown
Well done to her, congratz!!! When she told Krudd that she was not a "hero" infront of that huge crowd and careas everywere...well.. wow, what an amazing girl. 10/10, If she gets a few mill in deals from this, good on her. She did it.

#863540 - 16/05/2010 18:52 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Habs]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

I would tell Krudd a lot more if I had the chance - does that mean I get a few mil as well?

Maybe I could go around Australia on a lawn mower... Does that count?

I mean, seriously - How many kids get to talk to thousands of people about the PM?

#863554 - 16/05/2010 20:50 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: teckert]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: teckert
oh dear... have u been talking to CW?

its not the sailing around the world as much as the guts, determination, and the role model that she is for every other 16 year old in this country.

geeze sometimes I hate this country for its tall poppy syndrome. best country in the world but we wont hesitate to knock a person for doing something extraordinary in their life.

I agree with this view. I personally questioned whether or not someone in this instance should qualify for a young achievement award but upon reflection when you consider the actual achievement and the inspiration to other young people she is as worthy as anyone else that helps teenagers motivate themselves.

I also agree regarding the tall poppy comment. Australians have a habit of knocking the achievements of others. I think perhaps anyone who has never sailed needs to go up "alone" against 10 metre seas to understand what she has just done. Or even moreso just be alone for 7 months.

She is a remarkable young woman.

#863559 - 16/05/2010 21:16 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: ColdFront]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

I can't see much knocking of her achievements in this thread. Why can't people see this? She did a GREAT job. But WHY do you need to sail around the world to be a remarkable young woman or win a young achievement award??

I'd MUCH rather see an award like that go to a young person who had actually done something to influence a persons life. The way that the majority of Australian's (and the media) have reacted to her insuates towards most young people that it doesn't matter how much you help needy people, etc. - it doesn't matter - you have to sail around the world to be seen or appreciated. No wonder teens have become rebellious!!

#863597 - 17/05/2010 10:22 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Shultzy]
ColdFront Offline

She did it for herself not some award. Why can't people see this?
She has also influenced a lot of teenagers that have lost direction to follow their dreams .Why can't people see this?

Our teenager isn't rebellious. She is kind ,caring and doing very well at school. She hasn't been spoilt like many little runts that demand the world these days. When they don't get their way they chuck hissy fits becuse they believe they are the centre of the universe. She respects her elders also and has had discipline to become the beautiful individual she has turned into.

Jessica Watson has followed her dream, got off her a$$ and done something that's pretty damned amazing. I can see plenty of knocking of her achievement in this thread. It's on every page!!! Why can't people see that? It seems there is an element of jealousy in some of the posts also. She is set for life and that must frustrate those that believe everything should be handed to them on a silver platter which is an increasingly common trait in our youth..

#863602 - 17/05/2010 10:42 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: ColdFront]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

In every post I have made I've stated that she has done a brilliant job - and she has. She followed her dreams, she did, and good on her. I also never EVER said that all teenagers are rebelling - but a lot of people in todays society think so. There was a study in America where they took two totally random classes - some excelling students, som were falling behind. The teachers were told that one class were students falling behind, and the others were excelling. Even the kids in the excelling class that were falling behind were excelling well beyond normal after a year of high expectations. The excelling kids in the under performing class fell well behind. It is the same with our society. Whether it is true or not, kids today are living up to low expectations.

I didn't say anything about your child - she sounds lovely. Obviously she ahs been brought up well. But what does sailing around the world have to do with people helping other people. Someone sailing around the world didn't benefit or help anyone, except inpire more kids to do things like sailing around the world that don't help anybody.

Again - I am not saying what she did was wrong, or bad, or stupid. She obviously is a very talented young lady. But did it help anyone other than inspire them to do the same sort of things. She didn't even inspire people to help people.

A few people have praised her for standing up to Krudd in front of SO many people. Quite frankly I'd probably be thrown out if I got to talk with Krudd - not becuase I was insulting him, just because I had such contrversial (however unneedingly so) views. What do you have to do to talk to millions of people including the PM? Not help somebody, not benefit somebodys life. But instead sail around the world in a little pink boat. Silly.

#863604 - 17/05/2010 10:46 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Shultzy]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: ShultzCity
In every post I have made I've stated that she has done a brilliant job - and she has. She followed her dreams, she did, and good on her.

Yep I have done the same. READ IT FOR YOURSELVES!

As for set for life CF, I am not worrying about myself wanting things on a silver platter, I worked a full year in my gap year in tough labour jobs (14-16 hours a day) set for people that were twice my age at the time, and consequently have set myself up for a reasonable time at least. Its the people who are doing tons of community work or might be going out of their way to do major things like go to Africa like my friend. Why does a sail around the world allow her to get heaps of money and whatever and someone seeing dead or dying people, helping with aid in a very unsafe area, gets virtually nothing.

Edited by Flooding rains (17/05/2010 10:50)

#863608 - 17/05/2010 11:15 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

Exactly my point FR.

#863632 - 17/05/2010 14:54 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ShultzCity
In every post I have made I've stated that she has done a brilliant job - and she has. She followed her dreams, she did, and good on her.

Yep I have done the same. READ IT FOR YOURSELVES!

As for set for life CF, I am not worrying about myself wanting things on a silver platter, I worked a full year in my gap year in tough labour jobs (14-16 hours a day) set for people that were twice my age at the time, and consequently have set myself up for a reasonable time at least. Its the people who are doing tons of community work or might be going out of their way to do major things like go to Africa like my friend. Why does a sail around the world allow her to get heaps of money and whatever and someone seeing dead or dying people, helping with aid in a very unsafe area, gets virtually nothing.

Do you think that applies only to young people?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
1 registered (mysteriousbrad), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image