NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#863636 - 17/05/2010 15:26 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted By: Flooding rains
Its the people who are doing tons of community work or might be going out of their way to do major things like go to Africa like my friend. Why does a sail around the world allow her to get heaps of money and whatever and someone seeing dead or dying people, helping with aid in a very unsafe area, gets virtually nothing.

its not like she took this on a job or as a way of making an easy mil. the only people who are paying her is the media because they make more money out of it, she wouldn't have done this to make money and be famous. if a news paper came to me and paid me 1 million dollars to tell them a story and put my face on a book id do it, im sure anyone would.

if it was the government paying for her trip and paying her to write a book about it it would be a different story.

she cannot be blamed that your friend in Africa isn't being paid enough or not getting enough recognition.
I (and im sure most people) have done a some volunteer work in my life and its rewarding because you done need recognition for it, i dont want a certificate for it or to be paid for it.

its the media who are to blame.

#863637 - 17/05/2010 15:32 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: AaronD]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Townsville
Just heard on news that her manager has got requests from every major news program in the US for interviews and also has gotten requests to cover her birthday tomorrow. She has turned down the birthday coverage.

#863641 - 17/05/2010 15:56 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Flooding rains]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Beresfield - near Maitland, NS...
She turned down $250 000 for brithday coverage. Seriously that makes me extremely angry that the media would even think about that. Next they'll want to get coverage of her eating dinner! What has the world come to?

#863642 - 17/05/2010 15:59 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: AaronD]
split_city Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Noarlunga, South Australi...
Originally Posted By: AaronD

BINGO!

This is the crux of the issue. This "jealously" term being thrown out because people are being negative is just rubbish. MOST of the negativity is not being aimed at Jessica, but the media for over exaggerating her achievement and using the words such as "hero".

#863645 - 17/05/2010 16:14 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: split_city]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

It wasn't the media who described her as a hero. It was the PM for goodness sake!

I'm definitely not jealous - but I'm concerned at the way people are reacting over a sailboat when there are so many people sacrificing their lives into helping people. Can't anyway see that this is horribly backwards? Imagine if these hundreds of thousands of dollars were being spent on world aid, disaster relief, etc?

#863652 - 17/05/2010 16:48 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Shultzy]
split_city Offline
Weatherzone Addict

#863657 - 17/05/2010 17:24 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: split_city]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: split_city

BINGO!

This is the crux of the issue. This "jealously" term being thrown out because people are being negative is just rubbish. MOST of the negativity is not being aimed at Jessica, but the media for over exaggerating her achievement and using the words such as "hero".

Interesting that you say "most". My issue is with those that have attacked her accomplishment directly. Rather than create confusion in a thread about this girl's achievements, go start a thread about the media . Then you won't be confused with those that are indeed appearing to be jealous of her success.

#863658 - 17/05/2010 17:34 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: split_city]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeh Shultz i can totally understand that, its not right, but its all about $$$, and this poor girl is going to get exploited out of it all aswell.

If the media spent all this money on aid they dont get anything out of it. why would they. its horrible and i dont like how it works but they dont care.

a little bit off topic, I remember hearing a while back and i could be wrong so correct me if i am please) that it is illegal for a company owned by share holders to to make an investment willingly knowing that it will not benefit the shareholders.
So if such a company gives money away for free (to charity) they need to be able to prove that doing such a thing will show a return for their shareholders.. if not they can be sued.

#863667 - 17/05/2010 18:10 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Shultzy]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ShultzCity
It wasn't the media who described her as a hero. It was the PM for goodness sake!

I'm definitely not jealous - but I'm concerned at the way people are reacting over a sailboat when there are so many people sacrificing their lives into helping people. Can't anyway see that this is horribly backwards? Imagine if these hundreds of thousands of dollars were being spent on world aid, disaster relief, etc?

It's not that I can't see it. It ain't going to change. So I'd rather focus on the positives of her achievement and there are plenty of them.

#863671 - 17/05/2010 18:32 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: ColdFront]
split_city Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: ColdFront

BINGO!

Interesting that you say "most". My issue is with those that have attacked her accomplishment directly.

I stand by my "most" remark. There have been a few random comments attacking her accomplishment, mainly by the one person, but others have simply been pointing out the overkill in the media coverage. Even these same people have congratulated her.

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Then you won't be confused with those that are indeed appearing to be jealous of her success.

Again with the jealously remark. crazy

#863705 - 17/05/2010 21:55 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: split_city]
ColdFront Offline

...again with the denial. If it doesn't apply to you then all well and good. However your response appears to show that you believe it does. It certainly applies to some in this thread. If it doesn't apply to you there is no need to reply.

I can't think of any other reason why people would try to dismantle what she has done by using the media as a diversion. I get, the media are over the top but it has been said around a dozen times already. Again, the thread isn't about the media. Go start one about them if you a really passionate about it.

Time to move on and focus on the achievement. I have a daughter the same age and can tell the young amongst you, who by no coincidence are the ones harping on about the media that when you have a daughter the same age that you truly realise just what she has achieved.

This isn't about some cricketer that gave his life to hitting runs. Or some olympic medalist that swam 3 golds. She isn't the youngest Australian to sail around the world. She is the youngest person ever from anywhere to do it. Alone, in the most violent oceans on earth . No olympic swimming pool with ambulance officers at the ready. No hallowed stadium with the protection of a helmet and pads.

So yes, it very much appears that either some of you have no ability to get your head around what she has done or you are somehow envious. Because you simply wouldn't be so pi$$ed about what she might be getting out of it otherwise. She should milk it for every little bit of what it is worth. I would if in her shoes. You're a long time dead.

As already stated by another poster, the tall poppy shoot down is alive and well in this country and in this thread.

#863737 - 18/05/2010 07:42 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: ColdFront]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

ColdFront, I'm two years yonger - I should understand even more than those who have daughters her age. I'm not anggry at what she has done, I'm not jealous, I'm not frustrated. Like others have stated, it is the media overkill that gets my goat, AND the way people have reacted to her when there are so many people out there doing stuff directly helping people lives, not just sailing around the world.

#863763 - 18/05/2010 11:00 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Shultzy]
ColdFront Offline

You cannot possible see it from a parent's view . One day you will get it. I knew everything as a teenager too.

"The way people have reacted to her"? Clarity at last . I'm done here. Cheers.

#863764 - 18/05/2010 11:10 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: ColdFront]
Shultzy Offline
Weather Freak

Are you saying that someone 30 years older knows more about a person than someone 2 years younger? Are you also insunating that I know very little? This is the vbery problem of todays society - teenagers are expected to know very little, do very little - be essentially a dead weight to society.

I never said I could see it from a parents view - I said I could understand what she did better because I was her age! I know what it would be like to spend 7 months away from home, from school, from parents, from everything - at that age.

I also - thought - I made it clear that it wasn't her that was the problem, it was the way the media AND society are treating her now.

#864570 - 23/05/2010 18:27 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: split_city]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

waiting for the next 16 year old to climb Mt. Everest,

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4ztWzer4OD63WDlWxodWs8CvHgAD9FS3BUO0

#864631 - 24/05/2010 00:35 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: AaronD]
dave7 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Heathcote,Central Vic
she risked her life knowing fame & fortune would follow if she made it...same as 16 year old who just made it up Everest without dyin...these types of stories appeal to human ego/interest in general & are $ spinners in the media...becoming a gazillionare for hitting a tiny white ball around nice park land with a stick, is another example of how 'popular' pastimes are real $ makers for everyone involved...'SELF', 'Hero's' & 'Idols' still very popular on planet Earth...starving black fellas dont qualify.

#864676 - 24/05/2010 13:06 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: dave7]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Originally Posted By: dave7
she risked her life knowing fame & fortune would follow if she made it...same as 16 year old who just made it up Everest without dyin...these types of stories appeal to human ego/interest in general & are $ spinners in the media...becoming a gazillionare for hitting a tiny white ball around nice park land with a stick, is another example of how 'popular' pastimes are real $ makers for everyone involved...'SELF', 'Hero's' & 'Idols' still very popular on planet Earth...starving black fellas dont qualify.

I read from two different articles that it was a 13yo that made it up Everest to be the youngest ever!

TS cool

#864726 - 24/05/2010 16:48 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: Thunderstruck]
dave7 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

13 hey...gotta wonder if most parents would be happy having their 13year old risking their life on a mountain so dangerous.

#864792 - 24/05/2010 18:52 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: dave7]
dave7 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

more info = {16-yr-old boy is youngest Indian to scale Everest
May 22nd, 2010
Arjun Bajpayee a 16-year-old Delhi school boy, on Saturday had a brief tryst with destiny equalling the world record of being the youngest to step atop the world's highest peak 8,848 metre Mt Everest, only to have his feat overturned hours later by a 13-year-old American. Bajpayee, became the youngest Indian to climb Everest early this morning via the
traditional South Col route in Nepal. He equalled the record of a Nepalese Sherpa Temba Tsheri who also climbed the peak when he was sixteen. But a few hours later, a 13-year-old Californian boy Jordan Romero broke his record by
climbing the peak from the tough North Eastern ridge route in Tibet. The Californian is on a quest to climb all the highest peaks in the seven continents. The two youngsters could have had a tryst atop the world's highest summit, but
apparently missed each other by a whisker, as Bajpayee after a short stay atop made his way back for a descent.
Bajpayee climbed the peak at 0633 hours this morning in the company of Apa Sherpa 50, who became the first man to climb the peak for the record 20th times. The world record
for the highest number of climbs on Everest also earlier stood in his name. Along with Bajpayee, also making it to the top was another Indian woman Mamta Sodha who reached the summit at 10:24, four hours after the young Indian.
The feat of the two was conveyed to PTI on phone by Chunu Shrestha of the Asian Trekkers who had organised the expedition. Earlier on May 17, two other Indian climbers had reached the summit}..........................just been reading Apa's website & he says that Global Warming is very evident to him & that the very dangerous 'Ice Fall' section is getting worse.

Edited by dave7 (24/05/2010 18:55)

#867401 - 06/06/2010 14:03 Re: Jessica Watson's round the world trip [Re: dave7]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Townsville
I want to watch the Sunday Roast! haha. Channel 7 and 9 are having her QLD homecoming. Channel 7 has stopped the coverage at 2 but 9 is still going and the Roast is meant to be coming on.

Oh wow the reporter said it will be a while till we see her so I thought they would stay on but as soon as I pressed submit, the Roast came on. YAY

Edited by Flooding rains (06/06/2010 14:04)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
aussie_thunder, Davem29, Joidy, kymm, Pinhead, Steveo1, tramar
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image