Page 691 of 1399 < 1 2 ... 689 690 691 692 693 ... 1398 1399 >
Topic Options
#829501 - 04/02/2010 19:57 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Stargate]
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
Just following on from TH's post in the other thread...

The last system was soured by a strong cap that didn't break. It happens all the time and you have to take the good with the bad in storm chasing - but maybe some of us looked at the pretty numbers and colours on certain charts and put the cart before the horse so to speak. It is also easy to expect every one of those systems to come off when you see such parameters and I wasn't going to say anything, but I did say the night before I was worried about that cloud moving across and ruining the storm day as it has so many times in the past. Complacency can never be underrated in storm forecasting or indeed any other aspect of life.

As for the rainfall, there never was much forecast for anywhere less than 100km from Adelaide and the areas where it was forecast did pretty well on the whole. So I don't understand why people were saying it was a fizzer and because they hadn't got their 2mm the system was a disaster. If people took the time to learn some things they might find themselves less disappointed because they know what to expect.

A couple of first time chasers went out that day so it was a pretty poor and disheartening introduction for them perhaps. If there was any advice I'd give to a new chaser it would be to be persistent, patient and don't give up if you see nothing happen after 30 minutes. Most of all look at the SKY with your EYES and don't rely on single model forecast outputs. After a while you begin to see patterns in the weather from the smallest bubbling Cu to large-scale synoptic patterns and everything in between. Of course, living in SA has its setbacks and the weather is fickle at the best of times but that should make us more appreciative of what we get if anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is treat every system on its merits and if you have any questions then do ask - there are plenty of friendly guys on here (myself not included :P) that will happily post answers to your questions. Ian, TH, hillsrain, Lennie, Tim E etc come to mind.

Don't be afraid! And enjoy the storms smile

Edited by seaworthy (04/02/2010 19:59)

#829507 - 04/02/2010 20:07 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: seaworthy]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melton VIC
Originally Posted By: seaworthy
A couple of first time chasers went out that day so it was a pretty poor and disheartening introduction for them perhaps. If there was any advice I'd give to a new chaser it would be to be persistent, patient and don't give up if you see nothing happen after 30 minutes. Most of all look at the SKY with your EYES and don't rely on single model forecast outputs. After a while you begin to see patterns in the weather from the smallest bubbling Cu to large-scale synoptic patterns and everything in between. Of course, living in SA has its setbacks and the weather is fickle at the best of times but that should make us more appreciative of what we get if anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is treat every system on its merits and if you have any questions then do ask - there are plenty of friendly guys on here (myself not included :P) that will happily post answers to your questions. Ian, TH, hillsrain, Lennie, Tim E etc come to mind.

Don't be afraid! And enjoy the storms smile

It's always going to be disheartening if you go out to chase storms and nothing happens whether your a beginner or expert, it's just a shame that my first one didn't pan out as expected. I've got Monday, Wednesday and Friday off next week, so if anything pops up I'll probably head out again. Maybe this time it might be to somewhere a bit closer like Murray Bridge though. The unfortunate thing about the other day is that it was impossible to read the sky through the smoke haze, and as I'm sure you guys all noticed, my phone was obviously screwing up so I just didn't think it was worthwile staying out there in the heat and humidity. Hopefully there will be better returns this time smile The way that Lennie has explained it makes me think that we might be a bit luckier next week smile

#829514 - 04/02/2010 20:20 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: seaworthy]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Loc: Reynella, S.A.
one piece of advice in the way of storm chasing
is the only way to increase your success rate
is by increasing your failure rate as well.
it suks but that's just the way it is.
hell there's been times years ago i got so
SDS stir crazy i'd go out corepunching fog
for a thrill, even got me rocks off
corepunching a big gun irrigation sprinkler
once, ahh how nice it was to be young and
stoopid, at least i had an excuse then, now
i'm old and stoopid and i'm stuck for words,
they're coming to take me away HEHE HARHAR
HAWHAW.

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者
*̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

#829531 - 04/02/2010 20:56 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
RV Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Geranium, Home of Virga
A couple things that I have picked up on on past chase days is that the experienced chasers will post if they are going out and usually where. If guys like Seaworthy. Astro man and TimE don't get excited then it usually means its not worth the effort. I understand that these guys cant always get out but they usually say "I would go to such and such an area".

Another thing, Don't quit too early in the day. I didn't get out till late in the day and managed to hook onto the few cells around Murray Bridge following them into the hills much the same as Chris. Sometimes is wise just to sit it out for a couple hours and wait for something to pop up. If it doesn't then no harm done but if you go home and miss the action, even if its only small you will kick yourself.

#829540 - 04/02/2010 21:13 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
Nakedwire Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aldinga Beach
As In Fishing.... u can have the best boat, rods, bait.... and the conditions more than Ideal for afew fish in the esky...... but just sometimes, no matter how and why... you return Empty handed.

The past couple of days looked Ideal, And had the experts excited, yet it I will still rate it as a let down,
...............But then again, its better to go out and come home frustrated, than to stay at home and putting ur fist through afew walls after seeing the awseome lightning pics that others captured and insane radar echoes!
.........and I Agree totally on everyone's comments... u will more often than not kick the ground and yell at clouds cuz you dont get ur way... but things have to be almost like a well oiled machine in South Australia for things to happen..... if u want storms every day... South Australia isnt the correct answer!
(Even Darwin in the wet seson has forecast afternoon storms almost every day.... but it dosent always eventuate)

Well, we missed out ..Aldinga Beach from that 'Rot' of a system ...(LOL!) only got a brief overnight shower... Didnt get a reading out of my raingauge!

Thunderstruck has us in hopes for next week... so all we can do is cross our fingers!!

But it is nice to see the Murray getting a soaking. they need it more than us!

You Never Know If U Never Go!!!! poke

#829542 - 04/02/2010 21:13 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: RV]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

yer but it also pays to have half an idea when
one might be flogging a dead horse.

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者

#829555 - 04/02/2010 21:48 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
Skysthelimit Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gladstone Sth Aust
I made sure I had all my work caught up tues morn so I was all set to go at about lunchtime. Then I thought "were do I go?". The thought crossed my mind to head south to Snowtown because I know in the past they have had more than their share of action on stormy days. But I thought I'd rather not stray too far from home because most areas would get something. So I spent hours in the car mostly waiting for something.
I was a little annoyed to see, as TS said, that Snowtown had a terrific long lived thunderstorm. Hmmmmmmm. Thems the breaks. Still I mustn't grumble. I've been luckier than most. crazy

#829569 - 04/02/2010 22:07 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Skysthelimit]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Doesnt have to be just in SA either for days like Tuesday.... Ben & I sat for a whole day overlooking Grafton in NE NSW with CAPE of 3000.... yes 3000.... hardly a Cu.... you take the good with the bad....
Seriously though I still wouldnt give up SA weather for anything - despite the heartache & lack of storms. When we do get something, it quite often just makes up for all the times we miss out...
I think I would get complacent & bored if I lived somewhere and there were storms regularly.

#829570 - 04/02/2010 22:08 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Stargate]
Max Record Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide
Originally Posted By: Stargate (Steve)
Happy Birthday MR Hope ya had a good one...

Steve

cheers

Cheers, but it woulda been more fun if we got a decent storm... frown smile
2014: 450.4mm
2013: 470.6mm
2012: 426.8mm
2011: 518.2mm
2010: 549.4mm
2009: 459.2mm
Yearly Average: 460mm

#829578 - 04/02/2010 22:16 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Skysthelimit]
Nakedwire Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aldinga Beach
Hahahaa How to Flog a Dead Horse! Good Album Sex Pistols yea?

poke

Yea good point about Snowtown.... is there any other towns that seem more prone to storms than others? I think the Nonning area was a good birth area before the storms matured and passed (almost always) either North, or South of Whyalla.... Rick C would know bout that one! grin

#829601 - 04/02/2010 23:10 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Nakedwire]
_Chris_ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Marleston
Originally Posted By: Nakedwire

Yea good point about Snowtown.... is there any other towns that seem more prone to storms than others?

I've noticed that the Copper Triangle seems to be consistently in the path of storms this year. Tuesdays Snowtown/Bute cell ended up passing over there. Some of the only cells in the centrals popped up there on the 12th September. Then not to mention what passed through around two weeks later on the 21st. When I think about it, there's probably been at least 4-6 other times this year I've looked at the radar and wished I was up there.

#829612 - 04/02/2010 23:37 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: _Chris_]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Jamestown

#829615 - 04/02/2010 23:51 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: teckert]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Originally Posted By: teckert
Doesnt have to be just in SA either for days like Tuesday.... Ben & I sat for a whole day overlooking Grafton in NE NSW with CAPE of 3000.... yes 3000.... hardly a Cu.... you take the good with the bad....
Seriously though I still wouldnt give up SA weather for anything - despite the heartache & lack of storms. When we do get something, it quite often just makes up for all the times we miss out...
I think I would get complacent & bored if I lived somewhere and there were storms regularly.

That last line really sums up Darwin. We get plenty of storms, but to the point where if you sort of lose the excitment when a good event is coming. I still feel it but nothing feels better than a good event down there because it is so much more of a diamond in the rough. You are excited for the rarity and the fact that it aint gunna happen very often, so you put a lot of anticipation on it coming off so you can remember it and above all enjoy it.

Nexy system is good and moist, too early to go into specifics but if you chase the Burra/Morgan/Waikerie/Clare/Jamestown areas you will do no wrong.

And as for a hotspot? Can't disagree with Tim, Jamestown is always around the mark, but also Hallet/Burra.

TS cool

#830155 - 05/02/2010 22:48 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: seaworthy]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Originally Posted By: seaworthy
Just following on from TH's post in the other thread..................

...............Don't be afraid! And enjoy the storms smile

thanks for the mention SW,
2 things about what i post....
1) i like to play devils advocate
2) i like to make people to sit back and think.

if everyone agrees with what someone says then
any discussion or thought provocation is killed,
alternative ideas are not encompassed and different
paths to a particular scenario are closed off.
some people simplistically see it as s**t stirring,
those who know better see where i'm coming from.
i'd change that SW to:-
"don't be afraid and enjoy the weather whatever
form it may take."

may the upcoming weather fulfill the hopes and
aspirations of all.

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者

#830333 - 06/02/2010 12:36 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: teckert]
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Originally Posted By: teckert

Some of your lightshows are well and truly worth the long wait,and i'd love to experience one of them!!!! The best lightning shots on this message board have come from South Australia.

#831140 - 07/02/2010 16:36 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: pingtang]
-Deano- Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melton VIC
Surely something is wrong here??

CURRENT EXTREMES
Hottest Nullarbor, SA 42.3C
Coldest Whyalla Ap, SA 9.2C
Windiest Wilsons Promontory, Vic ENE 59km/h
Wettest Tamworth Ap, NSW/ACT 14.2mm last hr

poke

#831152 - 07/02/2010 16:57 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: -Deano-]
split_city Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Noarlunga, South Australi...
Haha, got down to about 4 degrees with a DP of about -25. Nice wink

#831928 - 09/02/2010 23:11 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: split_city]
Ryan Hothersall Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Gulfview Heights, South Austra...
Last couple of days it has been hot and in my opinion has been humid too.

Today got to 39.4 degrees, but was a little more bearable down at the airport this arvo. The sea breeze helps there.

#832346 - 10/02/2010 21:59 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Ryan Hothersall]
_Chris_ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Marleston
YAY, I can finally purchase a new camera!! Woohoo, no more dodgy little Kodak Easyshare! Now I just have to make my mind up on what to upgrade too. I'm seriously considering the Nikon D90.

#832404 - 10/02/2010 23:34 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: _Chris_]
_Sarah_ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Salisbury North SA
I want a new camera but mine can make do for now poke
Can't wait to see which one you'll get Chris smile

Page 691 of 1399 < 1 2 ... 689 690 691 692 693 ... 1398 1399 >

Moderator:  Helen, Lindsay Knowles, Markus, teckert 
Who's Online
2 registered (Eevo, 1 invisible), 285 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bennnn23, jack63, MisterMikko, Spring
Forum Stats
29421 Members
32 Forums
23730 Topics
1469282 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image