Page 90 of 171 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 170 171 >
Topic Options
#835269 - 16/02/2010 18:34 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
ROFL. I had a similar experience when demostrating a mounting device for a particular military explosive device that the yanks had come up with and thought they had the market cornered.

We showed them our device, (Developed independently of the US version) including the price per and they near shat themselves with the simplicity, cost effectiveness, weight and usefullness of the mount. Theirs was made of cast iron and weighed about 2kgs, ours was made out of aluminum and weighed about 600gs.

They took it home with them and 12 months later a direct copy was being used by the yanks. I didn't invent it so I didn't mind but somebody was missing out on a shed load of royalties somehwere.

They do like to think that everyone else is a 3rd world country when we have some kick ass tech here that makes them look like also rans. And some of the oldest technology ever invented (according to them anyway) which they still can't believe we still use.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#835341 - 16/02/2010 20:24 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: SBT]
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
that wouldn't be some form of command operated anti personnel device would it Sir Boab?

as for grey hairs..im blonde..so its not a worry..however..if i dont shave for a few days..i get white hairs coming through in my beard....hmmmm

#835395 - 16/02/2010 22:10 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Shayne]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Mmm sounds similar to the yank that wouldnt believe that I could cut 16mm stainless with the laser.. wasnt that hard really.
What really stuck it up the arrogant morons date was me cutting the same bit of stainless with a 450amp stick welder. Simply add 5P iron powder electrode, reverse the polarity & voila.

Do stand back however, it aint for the faint hearted or people who value their hearing, cuts cleaner than a carbon rod/oxy assist!

What is it with those people.. think were dumb or something?
No, we just came up with ways to make life easier.. good ol aussie attitude smile

Edited by Dale (16/02/2010 22:14)

#835581 - 17/02/2010 09:21 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Dale Small]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
I was a bit of a gouger myself Dale .....when all you had was acetaline (unlike today with razorgas etc) I used to use the stick welder to cut everything up ....always annoyed me running out of gas while the grids supply of energy just keeps coming.

I know that story about the yank boys sounds corney but is exactly how it was.
The lads went to that demo expecting to be shown how to do it .....only to find they know more about it than some engineers.
He's gone off to Cairns today with a few of these Yanks to show them how they are pinning these dam walls to the rock around Aus. Done nearly all of them now ....Tinaroos the last I think and well timed as melb gets it's ring road finished as soon as they are finished in qld.
Simon reckons 'the guys in the mole skins have their ears on now ...very different blokes today'

he promised he will ring in the morn and report on their bourbon drinkin' abilities.

#835583 - 17/02/2010 09:30 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

further to what Shayne said .....I maintain that No 2 all over look....four times a year whether I need it or not.
Allows me to safely ask 'Would you like me to come along dear?'
she looks me up and down and says 'Maybe not!'
.......actually never ever been to her hair dresser Wobbley smile

#835700 - 17/02/2010 15:52 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
SBT Offline

It is a Vee shaped mount with a 2 metre peice of knoted para cord which was called a tree mount. You place a Claymore into the mount using the claymore legs and the para cord holds it in place by wrapping around the tree and fitting the cord back into a notch on the mount. You can even mount it upside down pointing directly at the ground from a near horizontal branch which we demonstrated to the yanks because they never thought of mounting one that way. Remote detonated yes it was. As the old song goes The Ball Bear Bird, the Ball Bearing Bird has never been seen, has never been heard. (Vietnam era song about claymores and their effect on the local VC polulation).

I had long hair once for 12 months and then revereted back to my standard No3 Crew Cut. I have had one for 51 of my 53 years and can't see any need to change it now. I get a No3 all over, head, beard, mo and eyebrows. About 5 times a year unless I have to go to something important and then I might get a trim.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#835716 - 17/02/2010 16:22 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: SBT]
SBT Offline

I hang out over in Instructables and fair dinkum some of the things people from the US put up as Whizz Bang nobody has ever thought of this before stuff is pretty ordinary.

Whats even worse is some of the numpty questions people ask.

I was just reading one on using a flat steel plate and old galvanised pipe and T fittings to make a knock about welding table and the 3rd comment was one that said if he was just using a MIG could he get away with using sand filled PVC pipe and fittings and a chipboard top?????

(I don't weld I just more or less dribble and snot metal onto both pieces until it doesn't fall apart. It might be ugly but it works and I don't have any quality control to worry about. Good enough for me and Mr Angle Grinder and galv paint is my bestest friends.) I am getting better though. I don't drop anywhere near as much slag on my feet as I used to. Since buying my Inverter I find my welds are so much cleaner and actually are starting to look like somebody who may know somebody who may know how to weld may have dropped me a few hints somehwere along the way.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#835740 - 17/02/2010 17:28 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: SBT]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Are you using a light sensative shield Wobbley? ....I don't know what they are called but they shut down when you strike an arc.
They turned my cockycrap welding into something that almosts looks professional.

I payed 100s for my original shield when they first appeared but that one has been superseded by one from bunnings now and I think it was about 70 bucks or there abouts.

These shields make a good welder out of anybody wink

#835813 - 17/02/2010 20:16 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
Xavo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Airlie Beach & Brisbane
Talking about hot stuff, today I did something I never thought I'd do. I ate the smallest bit (about 1mm into my pinky finger or so) of the worlds hottest chilly. I have never had anything soo hot in my entire life. I thought my mouth was melting. I'm not even a chilly person, and this was like all the chilly's I've ever eaten plus another couple of million all rolled into one little sliver. I nearly vomited it was that bad.

#835906 - 17/02/2010 22:25 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Xavo]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

We are hoping to have some hot stuff in for our annual pole dancing comp.
I've already set the hall up today. Poles in Hall
Bit rough but we only get the hall once a year so needs to be simple smile

if I was telling the truth you'd know we have some gorillas putting some insulation in our hall ceiling and so I borrowed some 'acros' so Garrett doesn't get in any more strife than he's already in.

ps ...also now notice the wifes digi has the wrong date on it

Edited by Arnoldnut (17/02/2010 22:27)

#836113 - 18/02/2010 10:25 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
SBT Offline

LOL Arnoldnut. Yes I lashed out and bought one of the $70.00 on special light shields. It's a pleasure to use after the initial "Oh crap I just copped another flash" reaction when you first start using it.

Xavo - My mate Critter - does a two plate curry dish that you have to taste to believe. One plate is to eat off and the other one is to fan your bum with apparently. I have tried a few but can't afford the hospital bills so I don't indulge anymore.

I have seen Indians reject some of his more potent dishes as suiciadal. He grew up in Malaya and spent some time in Thailand as well and knows a few chili dishes that any ordinary/sane person wouldn't eat. Put it this way, he is very happy absent mindedly munching on Birds Eye chillies like you would snack on pop corn. But some of his sweet chili dishes are excellent.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#836217 - 18/02/2010 14:12 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: SBT]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It's getting harder ....what next I ask myself.
Been on the ohone to telstra as they have been trying to enable my daughters phone line to carry DSL and she has spent a few hundred dollars with them upgrading the lines to the house as they found that to be the issue with no connection.
(this worried me at the time as we had run a new pair from the houses connection box all by itself and had no luck getting the modem to see the server in the first place)
They said that it was all fixed but still no luck with the modem.
So I went for a look myself along the incoming line. Found this in the pit in front of the house and replaced it as I had some 3M connectors. Pic Here
This was something that apparently had been checked .....testinga waste of time and a visual tells you that this would fail with any moisture in the air.
The crazed white line goes to the exchange, not the house .....is their problem really but when will they fix it?
The green in the 3M connectors pictured is copper corrosion.

Are these guys all wallys or what? Quite sick of useless people.

I'm post a tag to this pic to the Telstra office concerned and asked them to explain. (maybe concerned is the wrong term)

#836224 - 18/02/2010 14:21 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I used to have a few mates that had chilli eating competitions .....I never got involved :rolleyes:

Not sure if they are even still around now when I think about it smile

Edited by Arnoldnut (18/02/2010 14:21)

#836688 - 19/02/2010 16:43 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Arnoldnut]
SBT Offline

The recent death of a school student in Brisbane from a knife attack has been handled by the federal government by stating that there isn't a problem. Umm excuse me they buried the problem this morning.

Having worked in a high school and seen first hand what some mothers little darlings get up to it is no surprise to me that some form of weapon are being used to retalliate, the most readily available is the humble kitchen knife or fishing knife. It was a fishing knife used in the attack in Brisbane and no doubt the overly protective cotton wool groups will now call for banning of all knives in the home, school wide scanning of students with metal detectors, yet more and more mediation between those being bullied and the bullies, staff councilling and a special antiknife day and associated silly coloured bit of twisted ribbon and a host of other useless but feel good waste of time measures.

Why can't the educated policy makers of this country wake up to the fact that dribbling bulldust and touchy feely treatment of our youth is doing more harm than good and is actually creating bigger problems than it is supposed to be fixing.

I am an unashamed advocate of the cane and corporal punishment. Dealt out fairly, quickly and in public it has two immediate effects and several longer term effects as well.

1) It sets boundries - something todays youth is screaming out for is somebody, anybody to stand up and say 'Oi pull your head in you drongo".
2) It teaches that if you fail (yes thats the word we aren't allowed to use anymore fail because it might damage a fragile psche or some such rubbish), to abide by the rules and regulations of society that there will be a consequence to your actions. In this case you will get a very sore backside and be made the laughing stock of the school for your stupidity.

Being caned at a full school assembly is degrading for the child being punished. So what? I didn't make the little blighter carry out the actions he or she did to come to the notice of the school principal. It is supposed to be. It isn't a spectacale to be enjoyed but has the effect of showing the whole school community what will happen if you transgress the rules. I was caned several times at school and it did me no harm as it didn't do any harm to those of us called Baby Boomers in our formative years who also got canned for smoking, arguing with a teacher, swearing at a female staff member, wagging school and heaven forbid, raising your hand to a teacher.

Who knows? If the cane had still been in use in schools today would this young boy, who could have grown up to be anything, have died at school with a knife stuck in his chest? Would the young boy who stabbed him now be in jail awaiting a criminal trial for murder? It wouldn't have happened in my day at school why the hell is it allowed to today?

I am sickened by how our society is going to the dogs in a rush because people can't seem to see passed their own narrow m inded politically correct, apologist, agendas. We have tried your approach for the last 25 years and it doesn't work. Time for a change and a radical one at that.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#837845 - 23/02/2010 19:46 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: SBT]
Cloud Mother Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Taree NSW
I have to agree that the cane was a great deterrant in our day SBT, but the parents of today cannot see that "Little Johnny" or "Little Suzie" are even capable of doing anything wrong. It is a shame as you watch nice little kids turn into very nasty adults for want of a damn good whack. Most, (not all), parents today are unable to set boundaries for their little darlings due to their own upbringings which were dictated by Dr Spock. Some one bought that awful book for me when I was pregnant with one of my girls, I read it part way through and threw it in the bin. My girls were brought up the way I was - step out of line and retribution is swift and sharp. I have three good girls who all work and are all bringing up their kids the same way.

No confusion when the stay with me either, the rules and punishments are the same.

Today I watched as what was once a nice boy was loaded into a paddy waggon for destruction of property. This person (now 21) was brought up by a single mum who never believed that her darling son could do anything wrong. Mum is now scared stiff of the little brat and wonders why my kids turned out decent humans and hers is nasty, violent and drug addicted. Told her the other day to boot the little monster out to fend for itself as she is only encouraging the poor behaviour and violence by letting him live at home and do his own thing.

Edited by Cloud Mother (23/02/2010 19:47)
Edit Reason: typo

#837949 - 24/02/2010 07:36 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Cloud Mother]
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
From what my parents and grandparents have told me, a run in with the coppers or a principle was preferred over a run in with you parents!

Now, as you say CM, so many parents are weak when it comes to setting and enforcing boundaries.

It's all very well and good to call for the cane, but unless it is reinforced at home it will do little.

On second thoughts, perhaps the cane should be reserved for the parents...
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#837959 - 24/02/2010 08:27 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: bigwilly]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Funny that first line.. got a hiding from the local copper when I was a kid then when I got home, received another one from the old man. Shouldnt have done wrong in the first place & the only reason I copped it from mr plod was the fact he is a close friend of the family!

Lucky lucky me lol.
That was a long time ago when it was acceptable & nothing would eventuate from it.. try it nowadays good lord, all sorts of litigation flying everywhere.

We've become a nation of soft... you know the rest.

Edited by Dale (24/02/2010 08:30)

#838176 - 24/02/2010 23:22 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Dale Small]
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
"TOW" and the donor car is for sale...pm me if you know anyone interested..make me an offer..

im also keen to hear if anyone knows a good Tattooist in Brisvegas..

whats that rattle?...the wheelnuts?

#838183 - 25/02/2010 00:17 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Shayne]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: South West Rocks, NSW
I definately wouldn't want to see the cane back in schools, it has no place there. Punishment needs to come from your parents or from the police. There's nothing wrong with a smack or two on the bum from your parents if you did something wrong as a young kid. I'll do the same to my kids (which are probably another 13-15 years away from being born once I'm in my mid-30s, lol), so they can learn right from wrong.
Unfortunately, there's just some lousy parents out there that shouldn't even be allowed to have children. There's plenty of well-behaved kids, it's just that it's easier to notice those few badly behaved ones.

Edited by Freeze (25/02/2010 00:18)

#838488 - 26/02/2010 10:20 Re: Chit Chat (the off-topic thread) [Re: Seabreeze]
SBT Offline

Disciple starts with self discipline and kids pick up bad habits from their parents by observation. If you are too lazy to get off your backside and clean the house, feed your kids decent food, make sure they go to school in a clean uniform with a lunch and homework done then the kids think they too can slide through life sucking on the welfare tit, taking drugs, drinking etc because it is all too much for mum to handle then there is no hope for me.

We do have a hell of a lot of decent kids out there who I take my hat off to them as they are doing a great job of becoming the citizens this country will need in the future. But they are being tarnished by the smaller but growing majority and I stand by my original post. No discipline in school makes for bad students, bad students make for a bad society. In the school I worked in several students had been "excluded" (A touchy feely "weasel word" meaning expelled but if you are expelled it puts a stigma on the child don't you know) from every highschool in town so they are allowed to get away with practically anything until they turn 15.

I too had the occasional run in with Mr Plod and copped the odd kick in the backside, literally but that was nothing compared to the verbal flogging I got from mum when I got home. Dad never said a word after Mum had finished with me. But I was under no misconceptions about what would happen the next time I got caught wagging school or smoking.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

Page 90 of 171 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 170 171 >

Who's Online
8 registered (mysteriousbrad, Farra, Dr Philosophy, gleno71, Rhys., gberg, 2 invisible), 56 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
KiwiSonia, paul117, peterh, ringwood weather, Shauno, Simmo FNQ, warm front
Forum Stats
29914 Members
32 Forums
24132 Topics
1524050 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image