NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#879911 - 30/08/2010 23:23 Suggestion ... Full screen Radar
opplevelse Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Christiania, slightly east of ...
It would be awesome if you could enlarge the radars to full screen. Any chance of making this happen

#879938 - 31/08/2010 08:31 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: opplevelse]
core puncher Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Old bar NSW east of taree
it would be a handy option, i tend to click on the page (somewhere not linked elsewhere) and zoom in to fill the page to the area of interest with Ctrl + - but to be able to click it to full without side banners etc would be sweet :o)

#879954 - 31/08/2010 10:13 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: core puncher]
opplevelse Offline
Weather Freak

I was thinking it would be good to have on one screen while you work on the other. It shouldn't be that hard to do but would make for another great differentiator from the BoM pages

#880005 - 31/08/2010 15:38 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: opplevelse]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
this is a great suggestion but i imagine its not as easy as it sounds to implement on WZ. i study a bit about html/java/actionscript etc. i would imagine that when the radar is on full screen that the resolution will be high and not pixelated. its easy enough to make a full screen radar at reduced resolution because your just enlarging the current radar (which is possible through most computers anyway). i am in full support of this feature being added after the new ACCESS models/meteograms are up and running in a few months

#880099 - 31/08/2010 22:42 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
Mark Hardy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Sydney, NSW
Actually, this has been built and is running in the office. There are several other factors to consider before rolling out to the site and these will be addressed over the next few months. These include speed, bandwidth, server loads in big events not to mention time the time to build it out across all radars across the country. But some kind of full screen radar is expected to be rolled into the next weatherzone silver update (no release date yet).

Edited by Mark Hardy (31/08/2010 22:42)

#880100 - 31/08/2010 22:50 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: Mark Hardy]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
wow thats great news!! you guys are really doing well with WZ and the forums, always one step ahead smile i look forward to future updates

#880108 - 31/08/2010 23:55 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
opplevelse Offline
Weather Freak

Any chance it could be a client side thing? That would save your server load.

#880262 - 01/09/2010 19:13 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: opplevelse]
Mark Hardy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Sydney, NSW
Not really an option given how far we are down the track and where we want to go with it.

#880332 - 02/09/2010 07:52 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: Mark Hardy]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
I assume full screen images would hammer the servers/bandwidth? So even if it was client side, someone's server would be getting hammered due to clients sourcing the images from somewhere!

For what its worth, of already got full screen WZ radar on my HTC HD2 wink Not much room in the ute for a laptop when chasing!

#881189 - 04/09/2010 16:23 Re: Suggestion ... Full screen Radar [Re: Andy Double U]
ROM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

A suggested variation to the state based Radar and Satellite maps.

The following suggestion would be an addition to the current maps.
Continue with all of the present state and Australian map set ups.

Include another set of Radar and Satellite infra-red maps that cover say the whole of the South East of Australia, including all of NSW, Vic, Tasmania [ which has really localised small scale maps and seems somewhat left out ] and at least half to two thirds of South Australia.
Some of this area already comes under the NSW maps as they include all of Victoria and a bit of eastern SA.
Need to go much further west across SA in the NSW map to give a good idea of an evolving system before it arrives in the SE.

SE Australian maps would allow a somewhat more detailed over view of the southern weather systems evolving on a bigger scale but would not reduce the details as much which seems to be the case with the full cover Australian version of the radar and satellite maps.

The Victorian and Tasmanian maps in particular are so small in scale as to lose that overall view of any evolving system.

It might even be worth considering to divide the additional Australia Radar and Satellite infrared maps up into the areas affected by the main weather system types as tropical system evolvement from the NW and the NE are both different to one another and very different to the evolvement of the SW and the SE systems.
WA north and south are already divided largely along those lines.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
rodgerwareing
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image