NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 29 of 37 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#880156 - 01/09/2010 11:28 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Vinnie Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Mulambin , Yeppoon Central Qld
Abbot announced that he was no longer an opposition but a gov in waiting. This is true . However, It does not necessarily mean that he will form gov in the next few days.

Regarding what I said about Labor in 1998, yeah I was 11, but the point was I was watching Lateline the other day and that is what they said to Julie Bishop who went on about how Labor had lost it's legitmicacy as it was banging on about 2 party preferred vote. Then the host Leigh Sales said that Labor won the 2 party preffered in 1998 election yet didn't have enough seats to form government.

On ABC News 24 this morning, the Greens have signed to Labor so it is now 73 seats Labor 73 Seats Coalition.

#880157 - 01/09/2010 11:29 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Vinnie]
Vinnie Offline

I wonder what things would have been like if Julia Gillard had run against John Howard, won the election and then was running in 2010 again ? What Labor have won a majority outright ?

#880166 - 01/09/2010 12:14 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Vinnie]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: vinny06
Julie Bishop who went on about how Labor had lost it's legitmicacy as it was banging on about 2 party preferred vote

Bishop has a history of opening her mouth prematurely. Hence why she was completely removed from Abbott's elecetion campiagn. Considering she is his deputy that is kind of scary. Just like her death stare.

#880167 - 01/09/2010 12:27 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
I never found her as scarey as Avanda Manstone eek

#880171 - 01/09/2010 12:39 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnoldnut]
ColdFront Offline

I think they're both scary. Thanks for putting an unwanted image in my mind again smile

#880311 - 02/09/2010 01:02 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Vinnie Offline

I was just watching Lateline and Tony Windsor was on the phone talking and he has just heard back from treasury...

He said The Labor party costings are pretty much what they said they were... but

the coalition has 6-11 billion dollars that can't be accounted for including 3 billion in cuts that they didn't tell at the election campaign to the voters what they were. He said he expects to find out from Hockey etc to explain why the figures don't add up.

Doesn't look good .

Edited by vinny06 (02/09/2010 01:03)

#880321 - 02/09/2010 06:32 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Vinnie]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

maybe we should adopt this practice of 'testing' the promises with the ATO before each and every election.

Keep them honest somehow ....just a damn shame that we need to check up on our own leaders.
If I had my way any liars would be put to the back of the queue each time they stray from the truth.

if they ran a car yard you'd never go back ....but their supporter will find reasons why they weren't actually lies ....and go on like nothing happened.

Pathological Lying: big question, is it a symptom or disease? wink

#880325 - 02/09/2010 06:51 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnoldnut]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Only 6 - 11 billion? Well that's less than Ken Henry found between the RSPT and the MRRT! Just depends on what assumptions you make. LOL

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#880329 - 02/09/2010 07:41 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Originally Posted By: Arnost
Only 6 - 11 billion? Well that's less than Ken Henry found between the RSPT and the MRRT! Just depends on what assumptions you make. LOL

I'm so 'meh' on the whole thing to be honest. As Andrew Robb said, it comes down to assumptions and as you alluded to Arnost, treasury hasn't been that great with it's assumptions either...

I wouldn't want to be an independent now, that's for sure! I don't know what they are going to make of this information. Side with Labor/Green coalition and possibly alienate their electorates, side with the LNP and you can guarantee they'll be ridiculed for ignoring a possible black hole... Then if they decide that neither party is decent enough we are back to the polls where the only consolation that the newly signed agreement between the ALP and Greens might mean that traditional ALP seats might actually swing to the LNP based on voters wanting to steer clear of MRRT and carbon tax...

I must congratulate Gillard, on the face of it it seems the about face has alienated core segments of the electorate, a bit like Bligh... Again, the question needs to be asked, how many more balls ups can the ALP make?! I am absolutely staggered. That's the cost of power though!

#880339 - 02/09/2010 08:16 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The Libs should have never NEVER NEVER allowed Treasury access to the coatings. I said that it was inevitable that some embarrasing hole would be found - and this has allowed Windsor to wedge the Libs... They now can't tell him to get effed as they should, coz they can't go to an early ellection.

As usual it's not about what's best for the people but about staying in power ...

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#880342 - 02/09/2010 08:39 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The bit that I just love is that apparently there is an apparent need for an independent costings committee to be established to ensure proper objectivity... Isn't that what Treasury is for? Shouldn't they be apolitical?! It's the public service butt covering because they know if the LNP gains government the broom will be a coming!

#880346 - 02/09/2010 09:20 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Amazing how in 2.something years, the Treasury has become some evil Labor arm, I wonder how that happened, after how many years of Howard government? Did all the staff who were there since 96 suddenly leave when Labor got in and new pro-Labor people flooded the place? The Liberals never seemed to have a problem with Treasury..... until they were in opposition.

#880348 - 02/09/2010 09:28 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

wasn't Godwin with the treasury?

#880369 - 02/09/2010 12:02 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ant
Amazing how in 2.something years, the Treasury has become some evil Labor arm, I wonder how that happened, after how many years of Howard government? Did all the staff who were there since 96 suddenly leave when Labor got in and new pro-Labor people flooded the place? The Liberals never seemed to have a problem with Treasury..... until they were in opposition.

Yep.

I find it truly staggering that people are trying to defend this MASSIVE black hole. There are numerous LNP voters in the news.com website slamming Abbott. Let's go back to the polls. It is so obvious this man hoped to slide into government and then say "Hey we inherited more debt than we thought so guess what, we are cutting spending and killing our election promises". Sound familiar?

#880376 - 02/09/2010 12:43 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
ant Offline

I always feel that the LNP feels the need to hide a lot of its agendas. If it knows that people won't like them, why do they continue to try and implement them?

That aside, I guess we now know why Abbott was so reluctant to expose his budget to independant scrutiny. Fiscal rectitude? Well if it is so fiscally responsible, why wasn't it all annouced in teh usual way?

And I wonder what spending they planned to cut, or in fact if they'd got as far as planning at all. Imagine that, needing to find how many billions in savings at short notice? I guess they could cut all teh middle class welfare to working families OH YEAH like that would happen!

But where would it happen?

Let Labor form a coalition with all or some of the independants. I'd like to see a situation where all teh non-aligned agree to support legislation they feel that they can. That way, everything Labor wish to do, they have to get X number of those guys to agree to support it. Government by negotiation and consensus.

#880380 - 02/09/2010 12:59 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
It is so obvious this man hoped to slide into government and then say "Hey we inherited more debt than we thought so guess what, we are cutting spending and killing our election promises". Sound familiar?

Yep, and Labor was STUPID enough to let them use it as an excuse.

Just to put it in perspective, the purpoted $7 billion dollar black hole is in savings estimates. Even if they don't deliver all of those savings, the Coalition still puts more money into the bank then the ALP. Then we've got the $12 billion dollar difference in the estimates between the RSPT and MRRT. $6 billion wasted of $13 billion on the failure of a BER scheme. What was it? the $1 billion (??? I think the figure was around this) insulation rollout that is going to cost at least another $1 billion to fix...

Seriously, if ALP supporters want to point at a $7 billion dollar black hole, they'd better keep in mind there are three fingers pointing back at them at least as much mismanaged, poorly estimated costings and expenditure that these turkeys have already cost us.

#880386 - 02/09/2010 13:45 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ColdFront Offline

Trying to turn a massive negative into a positive. How predictable. They have been caught lying red handed and had these costings been released several weeks ago we all know where Abbott would have ended up. Bring Turnball back. At least he was honest. That suspicion that I couldn't trust this clown all along has now been justified. They don't trust treasury (who their government largely employed) but can put costings into the hands of a private firm despite Abbott suggesting treasury figures shouldn't be in the public eye. Hmmmmm. Hypocrit.

Despite those shortcomings of Labor's that you keep recycling the LNP still failed to form a majority government. Why is that? because people rightfully do not trust them. Oh and I'm not a staunch labor supporter. They are just the better of two crook options . Sadly by a considerable margin.

#880387 - 02/09/2010 13:46 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ant Offline

You don't have to be an "ALP Supporter" or LNP supporter to be concerned about issues. If a person isn't concerned about issues like this because the issue is affecting their favourite party, that's one-eyed support indeed.

Fact is, one party's numbers add up, the other party's numbers do not.

#880396 - 02/09/2010 15:03 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Townsville
Here we go again, all about money in the bank and surplus. Yes I agree that labor go too far in the other direction but what did all that money in the 'bank' do for us in the Howard years. Certainly didnt sure up better hospitals and education. It left the Bruce Highway up here degrade to such a poor state its known as the Bruce Holeway. yay lets get surplus but do nothing with it! Brilliant!

#880397 - 02/09/2010 15:04 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Have either of you guys ever sat down and done a budget forecast for a business? Now complicate it further by bringing other people to the table to have their input. The best bit, you really don't know how close you were to the mark until after the forecast period has passed.

Fact is, your attempts at painting the LNP into a corner by using the analysis of one group of people is really like executing someone using heresay as evidence. I will reserve my opinion and give it honestly as more facts come to light. Right now, your defense of an incompetent government that has chronically blundered time and time again could be called hypocritical. I do know however that there is a BIG between forecasting and saying the right things and actually delivering on it. So right now, the Labor/Greens have zilch confidence from me, especially whilst Swan is at the helm. The FACT is that the LNP bottom line still looks better than the ALP's right now and that has been verified by treasury.

Originally Posted By: ALP Treasury Costings
The Departments' assessment is that the ALP's policies would result in a cumulative
improvement in the underlying cash balance of $106 million over the four years to 2013-14.

And

Originally Posted By: Coalition Treasury Costings
The Departments' assessment is that the Coalition's policies would result in a cumulative
improvement in the underlying cash balance of $4.5 billion over the four years to 2013-14 if
the investment expenditures can be accommodated within the existing forward estimates and
$0.9 billion if they are not.

So the Coalition be at least $800 million dollars ahead of the ALP in a bad scenario and $4.4 billion if they pulled everything off that treasury says they can... Not to mention they may actually be able to improve on those figures again.

So tell me, would you be happier with $100 million in the bank or $900 million? If treasury say they can do it, what's to gripe about? smile

Page 29 of 37 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36 37 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image