NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#869572 - 26/06/2010 09:38 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
I remember the story on the news and I remember what I was thinking at the time. It certainly didn't reflect that image and highlighted how money dominates everything.

I can show you a photo of Gillard and Rudd together (all smiles) a week ago too.

Interesting comments about Swan being a snake Andy. I Personally think that to be a politician at the upper end of the pay grade scales atop a thick leathery skin are mandatory. None moreso than the PM and treasurer. Costello was a bloody good treasurer but one of the most venomous of all. I couldn't ignore his credentials as a money manager but it didn't stop me wanting to "hit it with a spade".

#869582 - 26/06/2010 10:41 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Rudd was got rid of because he had become toxic to the electorate. and the problem with Rudd was, he was a really poor leader. His micro-managing was underminding his cabinet ministers who couldn't say a thing without it being approved by the PM's office first. This crippled the government.

The home insulation debacle, all that was engineered and run by PM&C, not Environment. PM&C pushed it through, rode rough-shod over objections (about safety etc) in their haste to get the money pumped into the community (this was part of the stimulus to ward off the GFC, which worked). But Garrett wore the blame, for a thing he had no control over.

I think many in government saw that, and realised it was something that could not continue.

everyone's worked for a micro-managing boss at some time, and you see how nothing gets done, you can't do your job, everything has to wait for the micro-manager to approve the next step, this is what Rudd was doing to the government.

They put up with it for several years, but when the Garrett thing happened, and then his plummet in the polls to a character like Abbott, that roused them into action.

However, the catalyst was actually Rudd, sending his chief of staff out to canvass the members to see who was "loyal" to Rudd and who wasn't. Gillard had made no push to count numbers or even declare she was interested, but Rudd was out counting votes anyway.

This had the Labor people saying enough is enough, and start moves for a spill.

as for being female, I guess the feminist triumph is that a competent person has been given a go, and being female hasn't prevented her. 10 years ago, it might have. 20 years ago, it would have. The impediment has been removed, and that is what feminism was about.

#869591 - 26/06/2010 11:19 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
ColdFront Offline

I couldn't agree more with all of that Ant. Gillard as pm is a consequence of events. Not their course. She had no choice but to stand or sink with the ship. People will slowly understand that as time progresses I believe.

#869594 - 26/06/2010 11:29 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
ant Offline

I hope so, ColdFront. People seem very ready to think "oh she stabbed him in the back". Fact is, as far as I can determine, Rudd stabbed HER in the back. She was still loyal to him, but he sent out The Boys to de-stabilise her anyway. Backfired.

And I think she'll be a more competent leader than he. She's seen first-hand how his poor management style didn't work. I hope she's worked out a better way. I hope she delegates properly to her ministers, she has such a talented group there in cabinet, and outside it too. I hope they get the chance to show us how good they can be, before an election is called.

#869611 - 26/06/2010 14:40 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
all i really want is justice, security and freedom..without of course pandering to the minorities that howl the loudest..the one that waves those flags enough for me will get my vote..

i know what id like to see our country be..

as for who and what i really am...well very few have an insight into that..

good thread otherwise..ill be reading with interest..

#869735 - 27/06/2010 14:42 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: bigwilly]
Stormy1 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: bigwilly
Yep, if I were her I'd be wanting a chance to prove myself before calling an election. Really all we've heard about her from the media over the last year or so has been about her failings.

I dare say we'll see that now-polls suggests labour in front now, also the media suggesting that a damning report coming out end of August regarding the Schools BER programme under labour. So makes sense to me that labour may call an election ASAP and personally I think this will be the case. I really wanted to see them calling election next year but this is the game of politics!

#869736 - 27/06/2010 15:08 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Stormy1]
Fozzy Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: 1770
Hi Crew, My two bobs worth:When I was a kid the Libs were in..But they were mongrels, so they were out..Then Labor was in..But they were mongrels, so they were out..Then Libs..mongrels..out. Labor..mongrels..out. Then libs..mongrels..out. Now Labor...
I found, what you hear in the media, is what they want you to believe. It is all manipulation of the masses, using the "gaming" formula. The people need to wake up & kick them all out...till then...We get the government we deserve. THINK FREE

#870125 - 29/06/2010 16:18 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Fozzy]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Federal Labor candidates in regional Victoria have been told to prepare for an election in the first two weeks of August.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/29/2940024.htm

If this does happen then we can be pretty sure that Tanner had no intentions of quitting before the Gillard coup. There is no way that he wold announce his departure at such a late stage - leaving really little or no chance to select a candidate in, what is really, a seat that Labor may very well lose to the Greens.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#872455 - 17/07/2010 13:15 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
21st August is going to be a busy day for us- wedding at 3.30Pm (middle daughter), now we also have to vote as well.

I am so sick and tired of the term "Going forward " i could scream and it has only been an hour since Mrs Ronald McDonald announced the election - 5 more weeks of this Aaaaaaaagh.

Everyone I have voted for since 1974 has failed to gain office - Look out Julia my vote is comming your way grin

Edited by Sir BoabTree (17/07/2010 13:16)
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#872462 - 17/07/2010 15:11 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: SBT]
Rime Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth,WA
I just find that whole spin slogan of "moving forward" very ironic. What exactly are we moving forward from? We are moving forward from Gillard and her government's own failings. I think in a way this spin of moving forward really goes against the current Labor government as all what it is doing is admitting that they are at fault. Its like, "oh sorry guys, but we really really stuffed it, but don't be so negative about it and move forward". Sorry sweetheart, but for the good of the country you deserve the boot!

#872467 - 17/07/2010 16:24 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Rime]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
aswell as looking at both gillard and abbott, its locally where i will be looking hard. we have a retiring liberal member in our marginal seat of herbert. i dont want to have another 3years of a liberal member in labor government or visa-versa.
2019 Yearly total to date - 2049.9mm (1129mm)

#872488 - 17/07/2010 20:27 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Mick10]
ColdFront Offline

Game on. 5 weeks of lies from all sides of politics. Does anyone own a spare cone of silence?

#872495 - 17/07/2010 21:40 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
SBT Offline

Nothing wrong with having a siting member in opposition. It's not like the last buugger actually did anything when he was in government except photo bomb every time somebody came here and there was a camera within 100 kilometers.

I for one wouldn't vote for Tony Mooney if he was the only one on the ballot paper.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#872496 - 17/07/2010 21:52 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: SBT]
Xavo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Airlie Beach & Brisbane
I'm not old enough to vote, but if I could this one would be a tough one for me.

If Abbot gets in, the NBN is gone.
If Gillard stays in, the filter comes in (probablymost definitely).

#872540 - 18/07/2010 09:52 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Xavo]
ant Offline

I ensure my vote exhausts at Labor, to ensure it doesn't exhaust at Liberal, but it has a long road to get there. This year, I'm a member of the Stable Population party, so if they have candidates organised, in my electorate and state, that's where my first vote goes. then Green... Eden Monaro has an excellent Green candidate this time around, she's a local councillor and got the highest personal vote in the last council elections.

Then anyone else who's not a nazi or a lunatic, and finally Labor.

I always control where MY preferences go. In the Senate, I always vote below the line. Above the line voting is how bloody Fielding got in. Control your vote...

#872553 - 18/07/2010 10:59 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
SBT Offline

Yes couldn't agree more Ant. If you vote above the line you are a mug. Always indicate where you want your preferences to go otherwise you have effectively nullified your choice even if it means making 72 entries on one ballot paper.

Xavo
I think you may be a little off track with the NBN and Libs caning it. As it is already enacted into legislation. It will more than likely be scaled back to only encompass the Brisbane Line (World War 2 defensive line which was a border drawn up from Brisbane to Adelaide with everything above it surrended to the advancing Japanese) Which would see the NBN confined to the major population centres of Brisbane Sydney Melbourne Canberra Tasmania because it is already installed - and everyone else can go to pot. Not that the Labour NBN will come anywhere near connecting all regional centres (Townsville) either within the next 30 years. Don't believe the hype about Townsville getting it and it connecting the whole of the city. It won't. It will be a backbone and anyone within x distance (1.6 klm?) of the backbone can get connected but anyone 10 metres further away won't be.

As to the internet filter it was first bought up by the Liberals way back about 6 years ago and dropped before they decided to run with it, remember free home filters for the Internet to Save the Children from accessing stuff that some people would like to see banned from viewing by anyone because of their narrow minded bigoted fundementalist ideals. (This comes from having ultra consevative right wing fundamentalist church groups funding your campaigns in both Labour and Liberal parties). Fielding is just the front man.

About the only semi decent idea I have seen so far in the elcection is the implementation of a 15,000 strong Green Army to do environmental work around Australia. Nice idea but I remain dubious as to how they can set it up and run it effectively.

Mind you the Insiders had a good idea this morning on ABC TV. They would like to have anyone with in ear shot of the PM blow one of those bloody annoying world cup trumpets everytime she mumbles "Going Forward". In her announcement of the election date yesterday she said it 22 times in less than 7 minutes. Going forward from what?

Back stabbing your boss?
Boat people to East Timor?
Great Big New Mining Tax that keeps changing?
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#872559 - 18/07/2010 11:49 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Rime Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth,WA
Originally Posted By: ant

Then anyone else who's not a nazi or a lunatic, and finally Labor.

Well that should rule out Bob Brown aswell. poke

Ant, you may find it interesting that it was the Liberals who first brought up the idea of sustainable population well before Labor and they were the first to make it an official policy before Labor. Labor only brought it up under Gillard. The Libs got hounded by Rudd & co for it earlier in the year for even mentioning it. Gillard has suggested this as a policy because she knows that it will win votes.

I also agree about voting below the line on the senate paper. I have done this in the last few elections to make sure the Greens do not get my vote through preferences.

I sometimes I find it hard to figure out who to vote for, but I always know who not to vote for. Sorry, but I must admit, I am a very harsh voter when it comes to Greens. When I have to vote in an election that I have no idea who to vote for (i.e some council elections) I will get the Greens how to vote card and vote in reverse order. I did this last time in the Alice Springs Town council election and those who I helped to get elected turned out to be pro development and for economic progress (otherwords, had their heads screwed on the right way). Meanwhile, the poor Greens will always believe they got my vote. grin

#872584 - 18/07/2010 14:37 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Rime]
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
Have to agree about the Greens. They're nothing more than an ideology driven, city-based, pseudo-conservation/environmental party. A quick look at their policies should be enough to convince anyone who actually cares about the environment and community/society to keep their vote as far away from them as possible.

The Liberals will never see my vote either as long as that narrow-minded biggot Abbott has anything to do with party leadership.

So, on the basis of keeping the worst out, I think I might have to be voting Labour.
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#872608 - 18/07/2010 17:59 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: bigwilly]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: SWR
I will be voting for the Nationals at the election. We don't have a Liberal candidate, otherwise I'd vote Liberal but they're pretty much the same. However, the New England electorate is a very safe Independent seat held by Tony Windsor (margin of 24.3%), and I'm certain that it will stay that way.

#872656 - 18/07/2010 23:22 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: bigwilly]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: bigwilly
Have to agree about the Greens. They're nothing more than an ideology driven, city-based, pseudo-conservation/environmental party. A quick look at their policies should be enough to convince anyone who actually cares about the environment and community/society to keep their vote as far away from them as possible.

The Liberals will never see my vote either as long as that narrow-minded biggot Abbott has anything to do with party leadership.

So, on the basis of keeping the worst out, I think I might have to be voting Labour.

Amen. Tony Bigot will sink his own ship if he keeps flapping on about keeping interest rates down. Howard said the same thing and we all remember what happened there.

Page 2 of 37 < 1 2 3 4 ... 36 37 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bjfpolarbear, JuNgLeJiM, Propofol, Rock
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image