NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 27 of 37 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#879190 - 26/08/2010 16:31 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
...and now the labelling begins (again). Way to go.

Reviewing a policy is a long way from total dismissal 4 days earlier.

#879191 - 26/08/2010 16:32 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
I could post various unflattering images of the "mad monk" but it won't do the thread any favours.

I'm sure you could! I was actually pretty elated to find an unflattering photo of an ALP member on the ABC website! It rarely happens, if ever, so I had to share the joy! grin Still, doesn't look as though he is far from getting on his knees and doing some serious grovelling.

#879202 - 26/08/2010 17:16 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
Keith Offline

Loc: Kings Langley, NSW
In Sydney we are getting re-runs of political advertisements from a smoking lobby (or anti-smoking..not sure which). They must think we are in for another election.

#879205 - 26/08/2010 17:21 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Bob is a character. Yes he has some pretty cockeyed views on things but the one thing you could never accuse him of is a lack of heart or not having his electrates best interests in his heart. You can bet pounds to peanuts that he will make a decent decision. Yes he thinks that there are no gay/lesbian cowboys/girls and that the NT should be given the north of WA and turned into a state (and not before time) among other things but he is a man of his convictions and is a good bloke to have in your corner when doing battle with DVA and other government departments. I would much rather see him welding power than some spineless no personality fwit.

For my money another election is on the cards and it will be called in 5 to 6 weeks time. Labor has been given the bloody nose they deserve and they need to sack some people, come up with some decent policies and add some personality to the leadership or they won't have a hope of winning the next election. The first party to drop the back stabbing negative campaign and bring out some decent policies will win.

Both Abbott and Gillard are losers and can't lead a party to victory with their current policies. Time for a leadership change and start again.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#879211 - 26/08/2010 17:36 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: SBT]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hmmm...

I note that only Corrangamite is now in the marginal seats:
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseMarginalSeats-15508.htm

Probably a long shot for the Libs but the grey noamads may still play a role: The postal votes are (as at today) breaking 56.19% to 43.81% the Libs way.

All the other are (I won't say comfortably) in the Lib/Nat column - which is then 72+1 (the on being the WAN National) versus Labors 72 (as a maximum if they win Corrangamite). Interesting times still ahead. They have not started counting postals in the seats which are also "close"... This election will not be decided for a while.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#879301 - 26/08/2010 21:26 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
lookin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: tweed heads
Oh dear what is Mr Abbott afraid of.Could it be his massive list of spending was never going to happen???Or does he not want his band of loyal believers to know hes been lying to win votes. As I said earlier he was saying and doing anything he could to win votes.We may see him now in a different light.Interesting hey?????

#879329 - 27/08/2010 00:49 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: lookin]
ColdFront Offline

The funny part is that he is accusing Gillard of some security issue over her agreeing to open the books to the independents (she is currently checking the legal side) and yet he took his costings to a private firm.

#879353 - 27/08/2010 08:42 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Keith]
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Originally Posted By: Keith
In Sydney we are getting re-runs of political advertisements from a smoking lobby (or anti-smoking..not sure which). They must think we are in for another election.

Getting them here too, Keith. They're ads from the Retailer Traders Association... basically, the little guy is hurting. frown
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#879366 - 27/08/2010 09:36 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The funny part is that he is accusing Gillard of some security issue over her agreeing to open the books to the independents (she is currently checking the legal side) and yet he took his costings to a private firm.

Not even the opposition is allowed acess to Treasury confidential information - only when an opposition party wins an election do they get to see the real books. That's how it usually works so why should the independents get this access?

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#879370 - 27/08/2010 09:46 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Because they hold the axe & can chop both Gillards & Abbots head off.. which I suspect they will do in a few weeks.
This election has broken every rule in the book, so why not break a couple more for the sanctity of the country. Were in the eyes of the world, rather than being the laughing stock as purported in the world media at present.. nut it out & move forward.

Aussie govt... forward.. lol.

#879391 - 27/08/2010 11:31 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Dale Small]
Keith Offline

Loc: Kings Langley, NSW
Gosh, not both heads I hope! What a headless monster that would create! We might end up with the Beast from 666 fathoms.

#879392 - 27/08/2010 11:43 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Keith]
Vinnie Offline

Loc: Mulambin , Yeppoon Central Qld
I heard Antony Green on ABC News 24's show The Drum say that we can't just go back to the polls, whoever forms the minority government would have to show to the governer general that it was unworkable and the independents would have to show to the gov general that they couldn't make an effort with whoever was in power.

#879399 - 27/08/2010 12:28 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Arnost

Not even the opposition is allowed acess to Treasury confidential information - only when an opposition party wins an election do they get to see the real books. That's how it usually works so why should the independents get this access?

Because regardless of who they choose to form government with, they have already been elected under this ridiculous hung parliament situation and need the information to make a decision for the future of Australia as a whole.

#879405 - 27/08/2010 13:07 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
...they have already been elected ... and need the information to make a decision for the future of Australia as a whole.

Well thank the almighty for that - finally we only have three people making decissions for all of us. Progress at last! [/Sarc]

Seriously - The Treasury under Henry has become a joke... more suited to counting wombats than managing revenues. Sinclair Davidson makes a good case that Treasury are both partisan and reckless with figures. linky

Think about it - this is nothing but an attempt at wedge politics by the indies to gain advantage in negotiations (i.e. extract more pork from the Libs)... And the Libs are holding firm. As they should. They know that if the indies support Labor that means probably the end of their parliamentary carrers. And they will only be too happy to go to the polls straight away!

My take is - the ones making the most noise in the media have the weakest hands... and that's the indies (who are now well and trully wedged) and Labor.

Wilkie is by far the smartest player in this game at the moment. Watch this man to see where we go from here - I think he has all the cards at the moment.

#879411 - 27/08/2010 13:39 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Abbott chickened out. He agreed to change the conventions so as to allow the indies access to the costings. Loser of a move I reckon.

Besides: there is no way that rules should be allowed to change in a caretaker period... once it's done and dusted, fine - but allowing a change at a time where everyoone is ready to do anything and everything for power is a recipe for downstream problems.

#879413 - 27/08/2010 13:49 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Arnost
Quote:
...they have already been elected ... and need the information to make a decision for the future of Australia as a whole.

Sarc duly noted and finally we agree on something. The situation is a sham. I was listening to ABC radio an hour back and the NZ system seems to have merit. They haven't had a majority government since they changed their system (which as Ituned in late ,am guessing was the same as ours) since its change they have only ever gone back to the polls once and as many as 4 parties form government. As it keeps everyone on its toes they claim it works well.

Also they spoke to an independent in Victoria (sorry name eludes me) that went against the wishes of his electorate and wayed to labor with the mindset that he believed labor was better suited to run government but that his support was political suicide at the next election. He increased his majority at the next poll and said that people very quickly forgave him for his choice as he served his electorate and the state well. So there is some food for thought there for these independents who at the end of the day fled the national party for a reason.

Abbott's stance appears to be a move to force the Australian public back to the polls and given 65% of people polled believe he should support the independents gaining access to treasury (if it's legal) his stance may prove to be damaging. Time will answer that one. Not many people are convinced by his reasoning.

#879433 - 27/08/2010 15:56 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Vinnie Offline

Loc: Mulambin , Yeppoon Central Qld

#879436 - 27/08/2010 16:08 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Have you heard about the independent that promised support and at the first opportunity supported a (baseless) no-confidence motion against a Liberal Premier.

Now, what was his name... Oh I remember - Tony Windsor!

#879440 - 27/08/2010 16:32 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
I still cant make heads or tails of the kiwi system of government, its all a mystery to me even after nearly 3 years back here.. then again im used to over 30 years of aussie governing & the federal/state system.

#879456 - 27/08/2010 18:40 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Dale Small]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Abbott chickened out. He agreed to change the conventions so as to allow the indies access to the costings. Loser of a move I reckon.

Double loser of a move! (thinking about it a bit more)

Julia had no right in acceding to the indies request to release the costings - the fact that Abbott has now agreed to the conventions change has saved her bacon big time... If I was Abbott I would have let her roast! And had a crackling of a good time watching the fat sizzle under her! LOL.

Page 27 of 37 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36 37 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Billies ride, Jayson Black, NeedMoreLightning, slipperyfish, supercellwish1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image