NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 35 of 37 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 >
Topic Options
#881999 - 08/09/2010 08:51 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Dazza_XL]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: sevenhills nsw
Originally Posted By: Dazza_XL
Originally Posted By: Cheers
It's great to have a PM who is not a god fearing wally.
All the prays didn't help abbort.
Abbort is & always will be a low life.
Now back to the weather .

For what it's worth, I don't "Support/Follow/Worship" any of the major parties.
But resorting to childish name-calling is just that, very childish IMO.

Same goes for all the "Mad Katter" comments in the media. Sure, he might come across as being a bit over the top. And he does have some out-there opinions on some issues. But when you receive over 46.7% of the Primary Vote and 68.4% After preferences, he must be doing something right.

It's not childish name calling.
It's a fact mate.LOL

#882001 - 08/09/2010 08:53 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: looselipslou]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Originally Posted By: looselipslou
One thing that still lingers in my head is will Bill Shorten make his move or does he even have an intention to?

I think it would take someone incredibly brave, or massively stupid to take down Gillard during the next term. I do not think they would risk upsetting the incredibly fragile stability unless things were going very bad, very quickly. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Rudd got offered a full time position on the UN... Would he ditch his own party and probably cost them government for his own personal gain? He might be selfish enough to do just that.

#882002 - 08/09/2010 08:53 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: davidg]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: davidg
Um, so hes been offered a ministerial position in which he has been alotted funding for regional developement? In what way is that a conflict of interest? As far as i can tell it works in much the same way as most of the other sectors i.e. education, agriculture, health. The party will still have to approve his use of the funds for sure. I dont think hes gonna head out and buy everyone in his electorate a new car.

And yes i agree with Mick, he signed with Labour because they offered him the chance to provide some much needed infrastucture upgrades and place more impotance on regional areas which up until this point have been thoroughly neglected. As far as i can tell its not a payment or bribe, but a promise to support the issues that oakeshott sees as important. Why is the libs offering wilkie $1b just for his electorate any different? In fact i see that as far more of a conflict of interest. At least if oakeshott accepts the position the money will be spent to benefit the whole country.

Yeah ,not just one hospital in Tasmania like Abbott offered Wilkie.

So who knows what else he offered? I guess we'll never find out now but for at least one independent it was offensive enough to break his silence.

#882004 - 08/09/2010 08:58 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Cheers]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Dazza_XL
It's great to have a PM who is not a god fearing wally.
All the prays didn't help abbort.
Abbort is & always will be a low life.
Now back to the weather .

For what it's worth, I don't "Support/Follow/Worship" any of the major parties.
But resorting to childish name-calling is just that, very childish IMO.

Same goes for all the "Mad Katter" comments in the media. Sure, he might come across as being a bit over the top. And he does have some out-there opinions on some issues. But when you receive over 46.7% of the Primary Vote and 68.4% After preferences, he must be doing something right.

It's not childish name calling.
It's a fact mate.LOL

In that case, it's prayers, not prays. Not that I think you have difficulties with grammar... I know you do smirk

#882006 - 08/09/2010 09:01 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
looselipslou Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Darwin/Palmerston
Originally Posted By: Andy Double U
Originally Posted By: looselipslou
One thing that still lingers in my head is will Bill Shorten make his move or does he even have an intention to?

I think it would take someone incredibly brave, or massively stupid to take down Gillard during the next term. I do not think they would risk upsetting the incredibly fragile stability unless things were going very bad, very quickly. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Rudd got offered a full time position on the UN... Would he ditch his own party and probably cost them government for his own personal gain? He might be selfish enough to do just that.

So many possibilities and seems that people are not too happy with Shorten once they worked it out that it wasn't Gillard but the 'powerbrokers' that pulled all the strings. What has happened to Mark Arbib, he's awfully quiet?

#882008 - 08/09/2010 09:05 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Originally Posted By: Arnost
Oh FFS:
Quote:
KEY Independent Rob Oakeshott has been offered the role of minister for regional development in the Gillard Government.

Talk about a conflict of interest! Don't these people think? In the private sector Directors go to the wall on stuff like this...

Quite right. Which is why people with children should never be allowed to be in charge of anything to do with families, or education, and people with cars must be quarantined from transport roles, and anyone who has any kind of medical condition is quite morally unfit to administer medical expenditure. And I cannot BELIEVE that they will appoint lawyers to be attorney general, my god.

#882010 - 08/09/2010 09:14 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Shayne Offline

Loc: Cedar Grove SEQ
i just hope someone with experience in Defense gets that portfolio...sticking a pure bureaucrat in there is like putting a problem gambler in as Treasurer..

as for election promises, well..they mas as well have been made by the tooth fairy and underwritten by satanclaws...everything will end up going to hell in a hand basket as soon as the collective media finds something new to squeel about...all aboard the Knee-jerk Express!

call me cynical...politicians are all like cuckoo's..they feather their own nests, while they crap in everyone else's..

#882012 - 08/09/2010 09:26 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
Greg Sorenson Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Canberra!
Originally Posted By: ant

Quite right. Which is why people with children should never be allowed to be in charge of anything to do with families, or education, and people with cars must be quarantined from transport roles, and anyone who has any kind of medical condition is quite morally unfit to administer medical expenditure. And I cannot BELIEVE that they will appoint lawyers to be attorney general, my god.

Do i detect a little sarcasm there? LOL. We can speculate all we want on whether the new government will work or not, lets see how the cards fall. I would suggest that for the first time, perhaps in a long time, the general public are absorbing a level of interest in politics which is provoking robust discussions. Household dinner parties and backyard BBQ for the short term at least will be like walking on hot coals. Should be fun:)

#882013 - 08/09/2010 09:30 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Greg Sorenson]
looselipslou Offline
Weather Freak

I think you're right there, Greg and about bloody time. I think now, many have finally worked out that they did not vote for Abbott or Gillard unless they were in that electorate and had the choice.

#882021 - 08/09/2010 10:21 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: looselipslou]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Heck, I wasn't in any of the electorates that returned greens or independants, but I still feel like my vote got up, because there they are.

Maybe this increased engagement with politics will get more people taking an interest, not just going "they are all crooks and I hate them", and maybe noticing that most politicians actually work bloody hard, and most of them start out as decent people, and many stay that way. Most of them are pretty impressive too, if you actually look at what they have to do, how many issues they have to be across, the stuff that's expected of them.

#882022 - 08/09/2010 10:26 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Greg Sorenson]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Greg Sorenson

Do i detect a little sarcasm there? LOL. We can speculate all we want on whether the new government will work or not, lets see how the cards fall. I would suggest that for the first time, perhaps in a long time, the general public are absorbing a level of interest in politics which is provoking robust discussions. Household dinner parties and backyard BBQ for the short term at least will be like walking on hot coals. Should be fun:)

Agreed. Some may not like the outcome but we all got to witness something that may not be seen for generations to come. Personally I will be surprised if it goes the full term but you never know.

Gillard will need to make sure every member stays healthy that's for sure. But of course that applies to both parties. Meanwhile the clock has started ticking on Abbott's leadership. The longer he remains in opposition the less chance he has of being leader. The knives are already out.

....and ANT it is the green element of this election that is being almost totally ignored. They recorded the biggest swing yet that has been completely overlooked by the LNP and its supporters.

#882023 - 08/09/2010 10:32 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ant]
looselipslou Offline
Weather Freak

I think you know what I mean by voting 'Gillard or Abbott' as I was amused at the amount of people saying they didn't vote for Gillard when Rudd was booted and they actually believed that "Rudd" was on their ballot paper. They would argue that they actually ticked the box next to Rudd but clearly, in Darwin, Rudd's name was never there (that the point I was making) but now, becuase of all this, those are now a little wiser to the process.

I didn't vote ALP but still feel that my vote counted, becuase I did put a lot of thought into it. Mind you, Soloman's ballot paper didn't have a billion names on it.

While I have always had an interest in politics, I find I am gathering more and more understanding, especially behind the scenes.

#882026 - 08/09/2010 11:01 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
....and ANT it is the green element of this election that is being almost totally ignored. They recorded the biggest swing yet that has been completely overlooked by the LNP and its supporters.

That's because it wasn't the LNP that bled votes to the Greens, it was the ALP! Secondly, the Greens announcing a preference deal with Labor during the campaign discounts them straight away as far as doing deals with the LNP goes. It certainly wouldn't be considered smart chasing the Greens for deals when it has already been done and dusted.

So yeah, my Greens care factor is zero. It was the ALP who went grovelling cap in hand to try and regain some of their slumping support!

#882030 - 08/09/2010 11:22 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ColdFront Offline

You still managed to totally sidestep the reality that the vote reflects a distaste for the LNP. The vast majority of voters that voted green knew exactly where their preferences would end up. Never before have the greens seen such a swing despite Australians knowing the risk. That speaks volumes about Abbott and the past 2 weeks have confirmed people's suspicions.

Despite a massive media driven campaign against the ALP in the past 6 months he still hasn't formed government and when 3 former national members vote him down also it speaks even louder.

How many of those green voters would change their vote to the coalition in a new poll? Answer = 0. You should care about the greens. They cost the LNP a majority. ...and of course Abbott hasn't done much grovelling in recent days? Apparently Wilkie was offended by the level of grovelling by the LNP.

#882041 - 08/09/2010 12:53 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

"Oh and Gillard has put the ETS back on the table" ... I noticed that too. I thought she went to the polls with the 150 koombayah assembly thingy - and then a undertaking to review in 2012 with view to a possible implementation in 2013 (i.e. after the next ellection)?

Here's the policy speech

There is nothing in there committing to implementing this thing in this parliament: The very thing that brought down Trunbull and indirectly Rudd, the critical reason that the Libs went from being projected to losing 20 seats in Nov 2009 to just missing out 9 months later... was a commitment not to implement an ETS or a tax on carbon.

By the way, the fact that Gillard in effect committed to not implementing an ETS during the election was an attempt to stop the leak to the Libs on this issue. Labor as a rule didn't care about any leaks to the Greens on this issue - the leakers to the left would never vote for a "conservative" party anyway so they get the votes back as preferences.

But!

Here is Third Deputy Prime Minister# Bob Brown yesterday:
Quote:
LEIGH SALES: Before we're out of time, I just want to ask one question on climate change. As we know, the Citizens' Assembly idea was roundly derided on both the left and the right. Do you accept though that there is work to be done to persuade the public of the reality of human-induced climate change before policy can be introduced?

BOB BROWN: No. That argument is over. There is a small section who will never be satisfied on that. We're moving on to a carbon price. Julia Gillard went to the election on that; the Greens went to the election on that. We have now a way forward for not only getting a carbon price, but giving business the certainty it wants in an age of dangerous climate change.

LEIGH SALES: And how soon before you would anticipate seeing a carbon price?

BOB BROWN: Leigh, we're committed in that agreement to working on that this month and announcing the details about how that committee will work and how - what the view is to report dates and so on by the end of this month

linky

That does not sound to me like a very consultative process with an intent to put the solution to the people next election... Broken promise 1 less than 12 hours after the melding of the rainbow coalition. She did not go to the election pledging to introduce a Carbon price immediately!

Tony Windsor thought he had an agreement yesterday... Today however, he has already learnt the standard Labor lesson:
Quote:
The new Labor Government has been accused of trying to back out of a deal to hold a comprehensive tax summit, just one day after clinging to power with the support of two key independent MPs.

Under its deal with independent MP Tony Windsor Labor has agreed to hold a tax summit by 2011 to discuss all options put forward by the Henry Tax Review earlier this year.

Mr Windsor says he wants the controversial mining tax to be part of the talks, but Labor says that will not happen.

He has indicated he is not happy about its exclusion and will be speaking with Treasurer Wayne Swan.

Broken promise 2 within 24 hours?

And both on the most critical issues of the election! Oh well - whilst it's good to see the arch shafter get shafted... it is a pitty to stuff up a perfectly good economy - becoming like the basket cases that is most of Europe and what increasingly the US is becoming is not something we should be aspiring to.

A final comment:

And as last election the Laborites were confident that "once we get in we'll just change it all":
linky

Nothing's changed.

Oh yes: # The Second Deputy PM's Mark Arbib and the Fourth is Oakeshott. LOL.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#882042 - 08/09/2010 12:56 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
The vast majority of voters that voted green knew exactly where their preferences would end up. Never before have the greens seen such a swing despite Australians knowing the risk.

I think you over estimate the amount of thought some people put into their votes. Don't believe me? What about high percentage of donkey votes? Even if you are correct, there are plenty of ALP voters that are feeling pretty disillusioned about the ALP jumping into bed with the Greens!

But anyway, that is spilt milk, speaking of which, looks like ignorant/arrogant Swanny is back and is playing sneaky sneaky with the independents!

Windsor Disillusioned

So the 'landmark' regional deal that has been negotiated is to come out of the mining tax AND will be trickled out over the next decade... Now correct me if I am wrong here... Where are most mining operations? Outback Australia... And how much money do these mines bring to country towns? The simple answer would be LOTS. So now the ALP is going to slug the miners, to collect the money to spin it back to these regional areas?! Yep... Oakshott, Windsor have been hoodwinked and are now compromised, don't support the mining tax, forget about your regional grants, support the mining tax, miners will examine their bottom lines more closely and could very realistically begin laying off workers meaning less money for country towns... but Aunty Julia the evil stepmother will make up for it... yeah right!!!

#882045 - 08/09/2010 13:00 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
ColdFront Offline

Broken promise two? Now you're scraping the bottom of the barrel Arnost. I personally heard Gillard say that through any negotiations that she would not back down from the mining tax and that was over a week ago. I find it a little odd that Oakeshott didn't or perhaps he is simply confused.

Here's the LINKY

...and Andy so what you're saying is that the huge increase in green votes was a fluke? Please tell me you're joking. So your vote was legitimate and well placed but anyone who opposes you must have got it wrong?

As for the suggestion that the miners are about to lay off workers, even they have stated that was a scare campaign. I also think you fail to realise that much of the money goes offshore due to foreign ownership that was signed off under the Howard government and bypasses those local communities.

You also fail to realise they are cintracted to supply.

#882048 - 08/09/2010 13:13 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

You also fail to acknowledge that those that donkey voted didn't want to vote for either party. Not just labor as your post seems to imply.

#882049 - 08/09/2010 13:25 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Flooding rains Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Townsville
Wow some of you talk crap. Honestly build a bridge and get over it. If Abbott got in yesterday I wouldnt have been happy but also wouldn't try to find every tiny speck of info to make petty comments out of.

#882053 - 08/09/2010 14:07 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Flooding rains]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
I dunno I reckon the linky to Leigh Sales was kewl.

She's hot hey? smile

Page 35 of 37 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image