NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 36 of 37 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 >
Topic Options
#882061 - 08/09/2010 15:48 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnoldnut]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I'm a so called Donkey Voter. I couldn't in all good faith give any party in the lower house my vote because they are all a bunch of losers with no polices, no leadership and no bloody idea about how to run a country. FR before you start leaping from high horses bear with me.

I first became interested in politics in 1972 when as a school student I followed the Labour party with some interest. Back in those days we had hard nosed leaders who didn't apologies for making hard decisions about what was best for the country. Sure lots of people complained about all levels of government but they expected a party leader with the balls to stand by his commitments and toe the party line. Not like todays bunch of politically correct all things to all people bull [censored] wimps who will only do what the power brokers and apologists want them to do.

My mate Richard is of the opinion we need another benevolent dictator like Ming the Merciless (Menzies)or maybe some one with a bit more vision like Joh and for once I think he is right.

The country needs strong leadership - something both Gillard and Abbot are lacking. They both have the combined back bone of a jelly fish.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#882065 - 08/09/2010 16:11 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
For Arnost to ponder.

Linky........

#882067 - 08/09/2010 16:20 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: SBT]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

"The country needs strong leadership - something both Gillard and Abbot are lacking. They both have the combined back bone of a jelly fish."

Yup. We need the leader to tell the MBAs, Media Massagers and such that today run the show for each party to go and get. Leadership typically is not about consensus and fluffy fairy stuff that both parties parrot. Leadership is about vision, the ability to articulate it and paint the future state, and then bull through the obstacles to get there.

For example, Rudd's failing was that he may have had the vision - but the articulation was lost in his "bureaucratese" where people lost focus on content and laughed at the delivery, and he certainly did not bull things through - he just referred them to a slow death in committee...

There are in history leaders that did the three things above well - and we typically tag them as "great"... there are leaders that did two of these well, (and if they were able to bull the vision through, they still may be considered exemplary). But even if they had the vision and could articulate it - but if they could not make it happen... these leaders will usually be consigned to being a footnote in history.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#882074 - 08/09/2010 17:01 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
ColdFront Offline

That was quick. This guy has his eye on the top job.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/08/3006352.htm

#882075 - 08/09/2010 17:05 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

For Arnost to ponder. Sure... Abbott probably was just matching what Gillard offered, or at least agreeing to what he asked for.

But you know how I feel about this. That Abbott rolled over on stuff like the pairing of the Speaker is frankly disgusting! I personally would have told them to go and get effed if they wanted pork like this. And especially knowing that Oakeshott has porkbarrelled his Labor mates from wayback - see this from 2008:

Oakeshott "caught out supporting his Labor mates"

Bottom line, it is corruption in no uncertain terms - people go to (and should go to) jail for stuff like this in the business world.

Consider the AWB scandal where in return for Iraq buying Aust wheat AWB agreed to transport it in Saddam's trucks. The entire board resigned and faced criminal charges. And there were calls for the government to resign as well!

So tell me - which case do you think is worse, the one where neither the AWB board or the govt of the day stood to make any gain - with the only winners being the farmers selling the wheat, (and of course Saddam); or the one where the govt (whichever one) gains power, the blackmailer wins as he gets to get an open cheque book of $10bio and and office, staff and the Hon. honorific for life, but where the taxpayers of Australia lose as they have to repay the additional pork + interest... or at the very least go without as the available resources are channeled not by need but by decree?

The only reason that the police aren't involved is that there is some transparency about this. If the discussions between Gillard and Oakeshott remain private, then its a prima facie case of corruption. So he's opening this up so that a future criminal investigation finds enough transparency for corruption to be difficult to prove. And remember Oakeshott has not said that Abbott offered him all this - he has only intimated it. Quote: "I have been clear about the government making an offer (of a ministry) but it is up to others to disclose if they also made an offer..."

And also remember he's got Bruce Hawker micro-managing all this for him... and Bruce would not let any opportunity to embarass Abbott (rightly or wrongly) slide...

It is no wonder that the Nats thing that Oakeshott is a slime.

Edited by Arnost (08/09/2010 17:10)
Edit Reason: bitts and batts

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#882076 - 08/09/2010 17:08 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

"That was quick. This guy has his eye on the top job."

Nope - not him... But Malcolm has been rather quiet eh? Tomorrow Abbott has to resign and re-nominate. That is what is going to be interesting.

#882085 - 08/09/2010 17:59 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
ColdFront Offline

I don't think Malcolm will move yet.

#882096 - 08/09/2010 18:56 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
That's one thing that I think we can all agree on: the electorate is crying out for some proper leadership and is reluctant to settle for a manager as PM.

I concur with SBT, we need a leader with vision, with the courage of his convictions to bulldoze the backroom makers and breakers and to actually lead this country to realise its full potential.

IMO Gillard is the lesser of two evils (not in the literal sense) and I just hope that we don't suffer too much while we wait for the aforementioned leader.
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#882100 - 08/09/2010 19:23 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: bigwilly]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: bigwilly
courage of his convictions
....or hers?

#882107 - 08/09/2010 19:48 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
That was quick. This guy has his eye on the top job.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/08/3006352.htm

...and that was even quicker.. poke

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/08/3006442.htm

I'm hardly surprised by this . I'm no fan of Bishop but she presents a brighter individual than this guy.

#882122 - 08/09/2010 21:11 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
so when do you think we'll go back to the polls???? before then end of the year maybe or this time next year????

#882123 - 08/09/2010 21:11 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Arnost]
Dave-Wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Heritage Park, Brisbane, QLD
Originally Posted By: Arnost
It is no wonder that the Nats thing that Oakeshott is a slime.

My mail is that he is not exactly the honest, well intentioned, funny guy that he appears to be.

In my own personal opinion, he comes across as someone that really loves himself (that speech yesterday was annoying to watch), and is very interested in furthering his own interests and his own career at the expense of other things.

And as for both leaders not standing for anything, I thought one of the key things in the rapid change of the political landscape in the past year was that Abbott actually stands for something. He took a bold stance against the Carbon tax, then when the Mining tax popped up he clearly stated that they would not implement it, he reshaped the Opposition as a true opposition (ie: a clear alternative to the government on a number of issues), and made a clear stance on border protection etc etc (not that I think border protection is a major issue but it was one of the ones he hammered home in the campaign).

That was the whole point of the 'real action' mantra...because they wanted to show the people of Australia that they saw a government who stood for a number of things when elected at the 2007 election, and then just sat on their hands on many things (what happened to 'the greatest moral challenge of our time'?), with us all wondering why we voted them in for if they are just going to refer everything to a committee or a citizen's assembly!

#882127 - 08/09/2010 21:42 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Dave-Wx]
ColdFront Offline

I agree he dragged it out and got some high out of it. I also agree with your comment on him furthering his own career but mostly because that applies to EVERY SINGLE POLITICIAN. They are all there for the same thing. Providing for their electorate is second to self promotion. It goes with the turf and they all used the same brush to tar themselves with. I have witnessed that in every single politician that has ever opened his or her mouth.

Politicians are people that are dedicated to being heard. Oakeshott is no different to the rest of them. I have heard similar over the top rants from the lot on every side of politics. Introverts don't go into politics.

#882135 - 08/09/2010 22:35 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Dave-Wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Heritage Park, Brisbane, QLD
Of course the vast majority of politicians are ambitious individuals, but I thought everyone knew that poke so was just emphasising Oakeshott over and above the others.

#882372 - 10/09/2010 08:00 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Dave-Wx]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
I couldn't resist quoting the below from this article: Link

Quote:
By and large, people do not have few skills because they live in country areas; rather, they live in those areas because they have fewer skills. Were their skill levels higher, many would not remain where they are; rather, they would move to the main centres.

I think the above quote is a fair point although it does downplay the level of persistence, resourcefulness and innovation that country people exude, especially when things aren't going their way. However, I do think that there is a link between the quote above and the following (my bold):

Quote:
Surveys show people in regional areas are likelier to believe government cannot be trusted and that politicians are just in it for the money. They also score more poorly on survey questions about openness to different types of people and ways of life, and are likelier to follow local, rather than national or international, news. These attitudes engender a politics that is more local, oriented to immediate benefits and volatile.

Now that doesn't sound familiar does it? cool Something to reflect upon perhaps?

Anyway, more NBN opinion: Deal turns NBN into shameless pork barrel

#882378 - 10/09/2010 08:56 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
ColdFront Offline

Really Andy? I think there are pleny in the cites that KNOW they can't be trusted.

...and it's also no secret that the Australian is a biased LNP supporter. Afterall its biggest audience are business men and women on their way to the office with an eye on the share market. The rest of it is a poor excuse for a newspaper.

#882385 - 10/09/2010 09:35 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: ColdFront]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
laugh CF... at least I didn't attempt to paint an opinion as fact, something that the left is VERY good at. Having said that, I still believe that parts of that opinion piece do have merit.

If The Australian is a biased LNP supporter, how come they endorsed the voting for Kevin Rudd in 2007? It's like you keep saying, you've voted for different political parties in the past, therefore, you are a swing voter, no bias there?

#882422 - 10/09/2010 12:59 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Andy Double U]
bigwilly Offline
Weatherzone Mod and Photog

Loc: Junee - just north of the 'Bid...
I'd be interested to see what research has led to the above quotes! Talk about gross generalisations!!!

And given most regional centres receive local news and a capital city news, I'd suggest that most regional people are actually across more news topics than city-folk who often are oblivious to life outside of the major capitals!
2010 Rainfall: 759.3mm (Annual Avg: 521.5mm)

#882425 - 10/09/2010 13:22 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: bigwilly]
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Indeed, Will. We live in the backblocks and I'd hardly call my hubby lacking in skills!!! It's more like there's less opportunity to utilise those skills. Good thing then that the civil industry is going great guns around here... or god forbid, we might have to move closer to the big smoke. frown
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#882447 - 10/09/2010 15:27 Re: Australian Federal Election 2010 [Re: Helen]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
The Murdoch Press is well known as a conservative pro-LNP organ. They don't try to conceal it, it's no secret.

There was an interesting article in Crikey this week about how the new government can expect an avalanche of negative opinion-shaping from the Murdoch stable of media.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollytics/2010/09/08/let-the-great-unhinging-begin/

Sometimes people (here, for instance) come out with quite bizarre opinions, expressed as though they're widely-held facts, and unfortunately it seems that much of it comes from the Murdoch media, which I mostly don't read.

Page 36 of 37 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image