Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#903791 - 03/12/2010 13:43 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills.
Perhaps I could have rephrased the comments I made about shoulds and shouldn’ts:

You don’t have to post a comment because it doesn’t really matter what direction a thread takes. If you want to post, fine, no problem, but you can do it without feeling you have justify every little thing you say or do, or feel you have to explain you point or view all the time for whatever reason. You simply don’t have to.

#903807 - 03/12/2010 14:07 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
kewl cosmic.

so my wife is in wedderburn working and I just heard that another 10mm of rain will close the road for the night.

What are the chances of a decent shower of rain this side of knockoff time guys??

#904037 - 03/12/2010 21:25 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Arnoldnut]
TranslucidusW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Adelaide
One indication of the presence of an "ego" is judging.

"Shoulding" is a form of judging and leads to a divisive experience.

Personalities are ego based whereas egoless personas (what is left of an ego's construct - the "cosmicness" or "Arnoldnutness" personas rather than the strong "Cosmic" or "Arnoldnut" personalities) simply experience the world without needing to form a view.

If you want to suffer then have a personality; if you would be free of suffering then lighten up into a persona (ie the "flavour" of you, rather than the solid ego that collides with everything).

Personas don't judge - although they are wise and embrace the fact that when dealing with women, "You can be right or happy" and so choose to be happy.

Edited by TranslucidusW (03/12/2010 21:25)

#912466 - 21/12/2010 13:14 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: TranslucidusW]
Seira Offline

I understand that personalities are a categorisation of our traits, habits and idiosyncrasies, however they can also be useful in the fact that they can be used as guidance to give us an idea of who we are more or less likely to get along with, and what direction our careers could take. Some things about our personalities can change, others remain the same. Descriptions of our likely personalities can also be very accurate is some cases, while not so accurate in others, because of our experiences that these kinds of tests might not take into account.

As a phrase I have heard on the odd occasion, I would have to agree that a journey that is not analysed to some extent is one that remains unfulfilled.

#917480 - 28/12/2010 19:07 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
ColdsnapIII Offline

Loc: Mount Macedon, VIC
Are you a psychologist or psychiatrist Cosmic, or are you studying it?

As someone mentioned the OP outlines the 10 'cognitive distortions' that are known to create and maintain depression, anxiety disorders and many other forms of psychiatric illness, or even just general unhappiness and stress/distress amongst humans. The form of psychiatric therapy where these ideas are at the centre is called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or CBT and is one of the most common and effective treatments for depression and anxiety disorders, and more effective than anti-depressant drugs.

The original form of therapy that focused on the cognitive, behavioural and emotional roots of mental illness, especially depression and social anxiety along with other anxiety disorders was invented by the American psychologist Albert Ellis, who was one of the great psychologists, around the mid 1950s. This was called REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy) and broke away from the idea that people's past life experiences and repressed, subconscious trauma from childhood caused their distress (as Freud insisted), and instead put forward the idea that it is what we tell ourselves now about events in our lives, i.e. our belief systems, ideology etc. that cause mental illness and stress/distress rather than the events themselves (eg. the ABC model).

As humans are by nature fallible and imperfect, we tend to think and tell ourselves a lot of irrational things that are not supported by evidence in terms of how the world really is....

It certainly is an interesting topic. To find out more you can do a search on Albert Ellis, REBT and CBT.

#919160 - 31/12/2010 20:43 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: ColdsnapIII]
Seira Offline

Originally Posted By: ColdsnapIII
Are you a psychologist or psychiatrist Cosmic, or are you studying it?

As someone mentioned the OP outlines the 10 'cognitive distortions' that are known to create and maintain depression, anxiety disorders and many other forms of psychiatric illness, or even just general unhappiness and stress/distress amongst humans. The form of psychiatric therapy where these ideas are at the centre is called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or CBT and is one of the most common and effective treatments for depression and anxiety disorders, and more effective than anti-depressant drugs.

The original form of therapy that focused on the cognitive, behavioural and emotional roots of mental illness, especially depression and social anxiety along with other anxiety disorders was invented by the American psychologist Albert Ellis, who was one of the great psychologists, around the mid 1950s. This was called REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy) and broke away from the idea that people's past life experiences and repressed, subconscious trauma from childhood caused their distress (as Freud insisted), and instead put forward the idea that it is what we tell ourselves now about events in our lives, i.e. our belief systems, ideology etc. that cause mental illness and stress/distress rather than the events themselves (eg. the ABC model).

As humans are by nature fallible and imperfect, we tend to think and tell ourselves a lot of irrational things that are not supported by evidence in terms of how the world really is....

It certainly is an interesting topic. To find out more you can do a search on Albert Ellis, REBT and CBT.

This is more of a prepared post because the weather here is affecting the computer.

I’m not actually a psychologist or a psychiatrist, although I have thought about becoming one. I have studied psychology (counselling) on and off and completed some topics in philosophy while at uni, however it is not my main background. What I get from my interest in psychology is the philosophical aspect plus the human or social aspect. They seem to go quite well together.

I generally don’t discuss psychological matters in and of themselves as if I was a therapist because I am not qualified in these matters – people can see an experienced professional for that.

General discussion of psychological ideas, on the other hand, is ok, but still needs a context.

I am well aware of CBT, but have not heard of REBT, perhaps due to generational change smile . CBT makes a lot of sense in some ways, looking for evidence, causes and consequences, however there still seems to be the aspect in counselling of simply expressing how we feel about the things which affects us, rather than always looking for particular evidence and analysing things all the time. Expressing how we feel, on the spot, without a sense that we will be judged for what we say is true to ourselves appears to be most significant.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (31/12/2010 20:45)

#930408 - 16/01/2011 14:33 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

Think one of the key things about even beginning to resolve any of these things is awareness, noticing them.

Sometimes other people do that for us.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (16/01/2011 14:38)

#935253 - 24/01/2011 10:28 Re: General Notes on Psychology! - Boredom [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

I’m going to give this a try, and if it backfires or something, at least that will tell me something, but I don’t know yet, so that’s why:

Boredom: Are you being serious or are you just having me on

I hear people use the word boredom or bored so frequently that you sometimes wonder whether people are saying “just kidding” or “this applies to everyone because no one is questioning me”…well I’m about to!

Boredom, I’m being serious here, to me means you don’t care about something. Not just that you’re not interested (you can be disinterested without being bored), but that you actually couldn’t give a stuff (at the time) because something is somehow not exciting enough. So my question is what if something is not exciting, what are you going to do if something is mundane? There are things in everyday life which are mundane, but still interesting. It seems to me like people simply want to be entertained somehow…frequently saying “I’m bored” if they’re not…but do they actually mean it, or is it just one of those colloquialisms people want to avoid discussing?

Anyone want to have a go at clearing up this confusion?

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (24/01/2011 10:33)

#937719 - 26/01/2011 21:57 Re: General Notes on Psychology! - Boredom [Re: Seira]
TranslucidusW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Spend any length of time alone and you will eventually run out of the DISTRACTIONS that keep you from facing what is driving you crazy.

Nearly everyone is a little crazy - life's journey is to become "UnCrazy".

The fear then evokes the emotion of boredom and you want to be somewhere else or doing something - anything - that will distract from what is inside you.

I like the quote from "Joe Versus the Volcano":
Patricia: My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement.

When you finally discover the truth of your BEING (ie Wake Up), it means all the craziness has been dealt with, and then you can be alone, but not lonley - or bored.

Edited by TranslucidusW (26/01/2011 22:06)

#937741 - 26/01/2011 22:13 Re: General Notes on Psychology! - Boredom [Re: TranslucidusW]
Seira Offline

Fair enough smile....

I found that learning to relax when I first started meditation was an issue. Now I just relax and focus on my breath...feels very therapeutic (right spelling?).

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (26/01/2011 22:14)

#937875 - 27/01/2011 00:28 Re: General Notes on Psychology! - Boredom [Re: Seira]
TranslucidusW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Same thing - good insight.

Difficult to convey to people who don't meditate though; and Psychologists!!

#940884 - 29/01/2011 11:15 Re: General Notes on Psychology! - Boredom [Re: TranslucidusW]
Krissyistormy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: NSW South Coast
Interesting topic!!

* All-or-nothing thinking.
In times of stress there are 3 groups of mental states within people, the over thinkers, the thinkers and the ones that stress out so much they do not think at all.

Personally I am a thinker, I like to asses situations then make decisions with a clear head, except for when it comes to snakes, no thought process there at all, scream snake, grab shovel, kill snake, of course excluding non toxic and snakes that are NOT on my patio at 3am in the morning

* Overgeneralisation.
Some folks do have a tendency to have this way of thinking, seeing everything as a whole and not being able to seperate different circumstances, people etc, I would put that down to a variety of things, eg: Social status, upbringing etc

* Mental filter.
Oh good one! No one quite knows how they will react to different situations, how a person filters and processes things is really depending on their state of mind at the time, it has alot to do with personality, state of mind, how a person does or would cope, factors surrounding them etc, this is really hard to predict.

* Disqualifying the positive.
Usually for those who dont have a positive outlook on life, are depressed, in a state of self sympathy or just plain lame with no zest to enjoy the positives in life.

* Jumping to conclusions.
Everyone is guilty of this at one stage or another, it depends on the scenario, EG husband or wife stays out late, doesnt call or answer the phone comes home looking like he or she has had a wild time, and then going on the defensive side when you ask them why they didnt answer the phone or call, I would jump to my own conclusions IE "you have been up to no good but "what"? is the question"

* Magnification or minimisation.
I never magnify things, I have kids and as a responsible mother it is up to me to stay calm and collective at all times, then i dont minimise things either, if the kids need to be informed of something that is going to impact them, then i have to talk in a way that they can understand, comprehend and not send them into a state of panic. My almost 11 year old daughter, she panic's alot, so while i can be truthful with my son I have to be delicate with her

* Emotional reasoning. * Should statements
I put both of these togeather because they do go hand in hand. I once lost a man I was trying to save, it was hard emotionally, I didnt know this person but i still felt responsible for his death, his life at the time was in my hands, its a whirlwind of emotions followed by the "I should have done it this way or that way" ETC its so hard to front the family of the person you couldnt save, you dont know how to react, or how they will react, you blame yourself and run through a million different ways of how you could have done things differently, there is never any answer and with that can come depression. There is always a negative outcome emotionally with this sort of scenario.

Then there is the other scenario, which is one where i did save a mans life.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/nsw/riverina/200409/s1200237.htm

There were a lot of could have's and should have's with this, I didnt know he was HIV positive and Hep C positive, I found out later on why he was attacked. I had his mother fall into my arms and cry when she came to my home. Then i was asked questions, if I had of known what this man had done to warrant such a vicious attack should I have saved him? If i had of known he had those diseases would i have saved him and got covered in his blood. The could's, should's and would's went around in my mind for a long time, but I know that I wouldnt have done anything differently than what I did

* Labelling and mislabelling.
This type of thinking just pisses me off to no certain end....well the labelling. If you hang out with crims youre a criminal, if you hang out with gays youre queer too, if you go to the pub after work youre an alcoholic, if youre on centrelink youre a bludger taking up tax dollars. Each and every single person is an individual capable of making their own decisions, if they choose to hang out with someone who is has a criminal record it doesnt mean they are going to become a criminal, or someone who has made a past mistake will be labelled for the rest of their lives (im not talking huge crimes like intentional murder or rape) just because my friends are gay it doesnt mean i am a lesbian, just because i have transgender friends it doesnt make me a freak nor them. If I want to go to the pub after work for a cold one I will, ive earned it, it doesnt make me an alcoholic. If im on a disability pension because i broke my back trying to save a mans life but failed and nearly lost my own in the process, that doesnt make me a leech on society, ive paid my tax to the man before!
Im not sure why people tend to label, my family (my mums side) is very well to do and I am nothing like them, they label people all the time, those of supposed "lower class" yet if one of their "wealthy friends" commits a crime thats ok, lets feel sorry for Scotty or Dave or whoever it is, lets invite them to dinner, they make me sick. Where as my dad, a farmer and a more wealthier one then them at that, drives an old bedford truck and gets around in a flannie and stubblies or jeans, he never raised us that way, my younger sister and one of my brothers are the same as my mothers family, the rest of us turned out just as regular joe's making our own way in this world without help, and we never stick our noses up at anyone, its alot more rewarding to earn what you have, than to have it given to you.

The only thing i mislabel is the sugar and salt..opps

Im not a psychiatrist nor a psychologist, I have had alot to do with people who have mental illnesses and depression, infact I myself am Bi Polar and have ADHD (boy im fun!) I have found with myself, under extreme stresses i tend to be the calmest person there is, I think but dont over think things, my mood swings are second to none! But at the same time i am a very rational, non judgemental person, when i get depressed i do feel it alot more than someone without my medical problem but for the most part, medicated or not i am one of the most rational people you will find, im medicated again now because for christams i recieved the gift of epilepsy, apparently its genetic in my family after you hit your 30's YAY me, its been wrecking havoc with my train of thought and how i process things, im devistated that my neurological pathways are not normal at the moment making it a little harder for me to process things that would, pre epilepsy, be easy for me to digest, thats why im finding it hard to understand the technological side of things when it comes to understanding weather maps etc.

As i said above, everything goes hand in hand with personality as to how one reacts to certain situations, even in this thread for example there are many of the stated things i can see in the posts, its called being human, its exciting but can be depressing at the same time. Each and every single one of us will always react differently to scenario's, how we process things is anyone's guess.

Well thats just my little bit smile

Edited by Krissyistormy (29/01/2011 11:18)
Edit Reason: couldnt link page

#945497 - 31/01/2011 11:13 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: TranslucidusW]
Seira Offline

Originally Posted By: TranslucidusW

I wouldn’t necessarily say that…I have an audio CD with chapters on it from a GP which is all about meditation and guiding you through it from a beginner to someone who is experienced.

Hi Krissyistormy,

Taking nothing away from post, it's a very extensive piece and well put, but at the moment I’m more about having fun and taking it easy. I really don’t go much into psychological matters beyond what is necessary, i.e. I don’t talk about it unless it’s on a “needs” basis. People can talk about it casually and generally, that’s fine, but I’m more likely to listen than actively contribute if they do.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (31/01/2011 11:14)

#946478 - 31/01/2011 18:07 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

TranslucidusW,

I don't know about this, but have you ever tried anything outside meditation e.g. yoga, dancing, etc?

#946652 - 31/01/2011 19:08 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
TranslucidusW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Psychology by a Master of conciousness!!

suggest reading this quite slowly;

The Great Way is not difficult
for those not attached to preferences.
When neither love nor hate arises,
all is clear and undisguised.
Separate by the smallest amount, however,
and you are as far from it as heaven is from earth.

If you wish to know the truth,
then hold to no opinions for or against anything.
To set up what you like against what you dislike
is the disease of the mind.

When the fundamental nature of things is not recognized
the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.
The Way is perfect as vast space is perfect,
where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess.

Indeed, it is due to our grasping and rejecting
that we do not know the true nature of things.
Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,
nor in ideas or feelings of emptiness.
Be serene and at one with things
and erroneous views will disappear by themselves.

When you try to stop activity to achieve quietude,
your very effort fills you with activity.
As long as you remain attached to one extreme or another
you will never know Oneness.
Those who do not live in the Single Way
cannot be free in either activity or quietude, in assertion or denial.

Deny the reality of things
and you miss their reality;
assert the emptiness of things
and you miss their reality.
The more you talk and think about it
the further you wander from the truth.
So cease attachment to talking and thinking,
and there is nothing you will not be able to know.

complete text easy to look up . . .

Edited by TranslucidusW (31/01/2011 19:09)

#946819 - 31/01/2011 20:36 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Krissyistormy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: NSW South Coast
Originally Posted By: -Cosmic- (naz)

I wouldn’t necessarily say that…I have an audio CD with chapters on it from a GP which is all about meditation and guiding you through it from a beginner to someone who is experienced.

Hi Krissyistormy,

Taking nothing away from post, it's a very extensive piece and well put, but at the moment I’m more about having fun and taking it easy. I really don’t go much into psychological matters beyond what is necessary, i.e. I don’t talk about it unless it’s on a “needs” basis. People can talk about it casually and generally, that’s fine, but I’m more likely to listen than actively contribute if they do.

Hi hun

I hear ya wink

Im actually a barrell of fun, like those monkeys haha, im a real talker and not shy about anything either, I always try to understand everyone even you "non talkers" grin I know alot of men like that and its understandable, I have seen 4 hard grown men cry before in my life and that was my grandfather talking about the war, my uncle talking about cyclone tracy, my partners father when we lost my sister in law back in 09 (she was 31 cancer took her in 48 hours) and my partner that was the second time i have seen him cry. He clamped up on me after that, I understand it but it frustrates me a little because if I dont know whats wrong I cant help fix the problem.

Ive been doing alot of councelling work with people I dont know since the floods, im not a councellor or psych but im one great listener and had alot of life experience and just to have someone to listen to them was what they needed, infact alot of people come to me for alot of different things, im just that kinda gal i suppose, i was put on earth for a purpose and i think this is one of them.

So thats me in a nutshell, well actually if i was in a nutshell i would be sticking to the walls like a gecko screaming "please bring nut crackers" haha

As for meditation, great for a bit of calamity or relaxation Ive tried it a few times, im not good at it though, you know the whole attention span thing LMAO

#946922 - 31/01/2011 21:21 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Krissyistormy]
Seira Offline

Not quite what I was thinking re: TranslucidusW’s last post, but anyway…

Originally Posted By: Krissyistormy

Hi Krissyistormy,

Hi hun

I hear ya wink

Im actually a barrell of fun, like those monkeys haha, im a real talker and not shy about anything either, I always try to understand everyone even you "non talkers" grin I know alot of men like that and its understandable, I have seen 4 hard grown men cry before in my life and that was my grandfather talking about the war, my uncle talking about cyclone tracy, my partners father when we lost my sister in law back in 09 (she was 31 cancer took her in 48 hours) and my partner that was the second time i have seen him cry. He clamped up on me after that, I understand it but it frustrates me a little because if I dont know whats wrong I cant help fix the problem.

Ive been doing alot of councelling work with people I dont know since the floods, im not a councellor or psych but im one great listener and had alot of life experience and just to have someone to listen to them was what they needed, infact alot of people come to me for alot of different things, im just that kinda gal i suppose, i was put on earth for a purpose and i think this is one of them.

So thats me in a nutshell, well actually if i was in a nutshell i would be sticking to the walls like a gecko screaming "please bring nut crackers" haha

As for meditation, great for a bit of calamity or relaxation Ive tried it a few times, im not good at it though, you know the whole attention span thing LMAO

Lol I would have said something about this re: making assumptions about peoples’ roles in society (i.e. categorising their behaviour, appearance, etc.), but it is beyond the scope of this thread and this forum…that’s why there can sometimes be a difference between the way people behave online and the way they behave in reality/in person...

That may even sound like I've gone off on a tangent...but a pseudonym can tell you little about a person.

Unless you use emphasis, it’s a thrown-up as to how people will interpret your comments…because there is no tone of voice!

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (31/01/2011 21:24)

#946960 - 31/01/2011 21:34 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

I would talk a lot more about everyday matters here if there weren't the online issues there are.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (31/01/2011 21:34)

#947152 - 31/01/2011 22:25 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

That may even sound like I've gone off on a tangent...but a pseudonym can tell you little about a person.

To give some perspective on this...the idea of becoming a yoga teacher has come up, and I have considered it.

#947254 - 31/01/2011 22:53 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Krissyistormy]
TranslucidusW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Krissyistormy

In a hurray to get to the next moment is usually the sticking point!!

Bye the way - I do talk and I listen; not like "Other boys" generally. I find that just being open and spacious when listening to another (especially in "Counselling" conversations) helps the most. It lets them "come up for air" in the non-judgemental atmosphere and is very healing - just listening and being; no answers needed.

Not being in a hurray to get to the next moment is very nice for people to be around.

Edited by TranslucidusW (31/01/2011 22:55)

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >

Who's Online
4 registered (EddyG, Snowies, Lee@Hazo, 1 invisible), 302 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Astroman, Buff-WeatherNutt, Footsoldier, funkyweather_theoryologist, Typhoon Hunter
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23644 Topics
1456520 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image