NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#888485 - 07/10/2010 13:49 Ocean Temps :D
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thoopara; Prossie/ Bayswater
Hey forum,
i'm doing a assignment for school on periodic functions and i have chosen average sea temps in the coral sea. would any of you be able to lead me in the right direction for obtaining some numerical data, i'm having such a hard time finding this stuff frown

Cheers

#888487 - 07/10/2010 14:00 Re: Ocean Temps :D [Re: Dawoodman]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
are you looking for ocean temps related to ENSO? or just sea surface temps in the coral sea over the years? this is a very interesting assignment for school, i never had the option to do this haha when is this due? i might be able to rack up some info for you over the weekend if you like?

#888574 - 07/10/2010 20:44 Re: Ocean Temps :D [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks!

Its for math B, periodic functions, all I am looking for are surface temps. I really should have done this over the holidays though, meh it was the holidays.

hopefully they aren't to uniform, i need some sort of complexity frown

#888588 - 07/10/2010 21:19 Re: Ocean Temps :D [Re: Dawoodman]
Long Road Home Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Northern Beaches Syd
the AIMS site is a really good one, you have data back from 1980 for various sites which you can just click on and add to your favourites, not only sea temps but also a lot of other things like humidity, temp, pressure, rain, wind, etc. Im still trying to figure it out as i only just found the link.. have only figured out how to get graphs

http://data.aims.gov.au/aimsrtds/faces/m...from=01-01-1980

#888661 - 07/10/2010 23:57 Re: Ocean Temps :D [Re: Dawoodman]
ROM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

dawoodman; Try the CSIRO's Ocean Surface Currents and Temperature site and the BLUElink
Go to "BLUElink forecasts".

I don't think you realise the mass of numerical data that is used in deriving SST's even in a small grid area.
The BOM has this numerical data for the Coral Sea but you have to pay for it if you want it and it ain't cheap.
Some of the links on the above sites are not active but go to "at depth' in the first site and click through the to the ARGO site.

The ARGO site looks a bit overwhelming as it contains the ID numbers of the active ARGO deep diving floats from around the world.
However if you select [ positions ] at the top of the page, you will be taken to a small map of Australia [ or short cut to here ] and you will find the active ARGO floats around Australia's immediate ocean waters.
Click on a green dot which represents a float in or nearest a position you want some data from.
You will get 3 diagrams indicating the temps and salinity's at the various depths, and the comparative differences to the known average characteristics of the temps and salinity in column of ocean as measured by the float as it dived to some 700 metres [ 2000 ft ] over the ten days previously and then resurfaced to transmit the data to a satellite.

The two right hand position maps; the top map is SSTs and the temps are indicated on the top of the map and the bottom map shows the differences in sea level surface height as measured by the float when it surfaces which helps to locate the atmospheric highs and lows.
Selecting [ Prev ] at the top takes you back and you will see the float change position and the SST temp on top of the map change each time you go aback another step.
However there will then be a large gap in the dates as the float is on one of it's dives to 700 metres to get more data and there may be significant shift in the float's position and perhaps SSTs over the period of the dive which can be ten days.

Another site which allows you to select an area around Australia to find the average SST in any one spot is the "Point and Click" site

And if you want to get really involved try NASA's Remote Sensing Systems run by Roy Spencer which is the main satellite system for recording the global temperatures.
Get involved here and you will really know what numerical data is all about.
Good Luck.

Edited by ROM (08/10/2010 00:01)

#895141 - 01/11/2010 20:36 Re: Ocean Temps :D [Re: ROM]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hey all, thanks for all the input and help, unfortunately i only got a C overall.

I need to work better at my wording i think, and making fancy assumptions.

anyway thanks again for the input and help

Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ansgar Berling, Instability, Krightlane, lynkim1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image