Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#854618 - 25/03/2010 13:32 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: SBT]
Jaliza Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Victoria
Thanks SBT,
Cyclone Rewa formed on 26 December 1993. It looped around the Coral Sea for almost a month, crossed New Caledonia and the Solomon Island, and dissipated on 21 January. Rewa was the longest-lived South Pacific tropical cyclone on record, lasting 25 days, from 26 December to 21 January.
After watching back at Ului i noticed he seemed to sit still(but was moving rather slowly) how long could a cyclone survive if it were to stay in the one area and not move about like Rewa did?

#854620 - 25/03/2010 13:35 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: SBT]
Homer Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dural
I have a question that results from the strangest observations I saw during the cyclone.

As the eye passed over Hamilton Island, and for several hours afterwards, the temperature climbed rapidly on the AWS into the low 40's. To me, this seems impossible, or am I wrong and there is a phenomena that makes this possible. I notice there are now no temp records recorded in this current months historical data from BOM.

Thanks in advance.

Homer

#854621 - 25/03/2010 14:09 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Homer]
Jaliza Offline
Weather Freak

I had been wondering about the difference between Hurricanes and Cyclones and found this - just incase anyone else was wondering.

Cyclones, hurricanes and typhoons are all essentially the same thing, they simply receive different names depending on where they occur.

-- Hurricane: a violent wind which has a circular movement, especially found in the West Atlantic Ocean. A hurricane is actually a violent storm formed with water which causes heavy rains and fierce winds and they can cause flooding of streets and homes.

-- Cyclone: a violent tropical storm or wind in which the air moves very fast in a circular direction. They can be formed over tropical waters, bar the Southeast Pacific and the South Atlantic Oceans. Technically, all hurricanes are cyclones but not all cyclones are hurricanes: if their wind speed is over 74 miles per hour, they're hurricanes, if not, they're just cyclones or tropical storms.

-- Typhoon: a violent wind which has a circular movement, found in the West Pacific Ocean.

Have you ever been a cyclone?

The 1995 season ended with Hurricane Tanya, the first storm to be assigned a name beginning with 'T' since hurricane naming began in the Atlantic basin in 1950. Now I feel special. :-)

#854624 - 25/03/2010 14:24 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Homer]
snugaroo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Blacks Beach, QLD, Australia
Hi Homer,

I think we decided it was probably a malfunction of some sort, although others may be able to elaborate more on this. smile

#854772 - 25/03/2010 21:52 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: snugaroo]
DeniseEm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bowen Qld
I thought other would be learners of Cyclones would love to see this i happen to find it just doing a general search.

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/cyclone/tc_larry/Larry_report.pdf

#854783 - 25/03/2010 22:26 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: DeniseEm]
Jaliza Offline
Weather Freak

Thats interesting DeniseEm, as we are learning BOM and the likes are still learning and improving too

#854808 - 26/03/2010 00:22 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Jaliza]
Big_Pete Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth
I always thought that typhoons, cyclones and hurricanes were all the same thing, (except for the names of course).

#854811 - 26/03/2010 00:37 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Big_Pete]
snugaroo Offline
Weather Freak

I thought I should also add some definitions. These comes from www.dictionary.com

Cyclone: "a large-scale, atmospheric wind-and-pressure system characterized by low pressure at its center and by circular wind motion, counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere." <---- this can occur anywhere, intense ones can be called 'extra tropical cyclones' meaning they are outside the tropics. I assume that East Coast Lows (ECL) fall into this category.

Tropical Cyclone: "a cyclone that originates over a tropical ocean area and can develop into the destructive storm known in the U.S. as a hurricane, in the western Pacific region as a typhoon, and elsewhere by other names."

Hurricane: "a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec)."

Typhoon:"a tropical cyclone or hurricane of the western Pacific area and the China seas."

So, as Jaliza said earlier, cyclonic storms have different names depending on where they form (and in the case of hurricanes, how windy they are). Other than that they are all the same thing smile

#854828 - 26/03/2010 07:13 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: snugaroo]
Wet Wet Wet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Paradise - Mackay, Qld
Comparing the words “cyclone”, “hurricane” and “typhoon” is similar to comparing the words “hi”, “hello”, “g’day” and “Konnichiwa”.

Cyclones, Hurricanes and Typhoons are all the same. Systems below Cyclone/Hurricane/Typhoon strength also have various names. Here in Australia were refer to them as “Tropical Lows”, however other regions refer to them as “Tropical Storms” or Tropical Depressions”.

Different regions also have separate methods to categorize the strength of a cyclone. In Australia the strength of a cyclone is based on the systems maximum wind gusts, where as in other regions (such as the USA and Japan) cyclones are categorized by the average wind speed over a certain time length (Usually 1 or 10 minutes).

Also be aware that there is no set standard that links cyclone categories between various regions. i.e. a Category 4 cyclone in Australia may only be a rated as a category 3 in the USA.

Bucasia Rainfall:
MTD - 0.0mm (March Ave - 280mm)
YTD - 426.2mm (Annual Ave - 1665mm)

#854843 - 26/03/2010 08:17 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Wet Wet Wet]
nitso Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kirwan
Surely the WMO could come up with a single classification criteria for all TC's. It would be very handy for people around the world to compare their systems. Keep the local classifications for warnings and watches and advisories i.e. the American system for America, the Australian for Australia but for God's sake once the event is over and the public doesn't care anymore, it would be great to compare apples in Australia to apples in India to apples in America.

This WMO classification system could appear in technical bulletins and technical discussions only, so the unaware public doesn't have to know they even exist and that way they won't be confused by 2 different classification systems.

Just my thoughts anyway.

#854850 - 26/03/2010 08:45 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: nitso]
snugaroo Offline
Weather Freak

Sounds sensible. It just confuses the issue with the current system. One of Ree's pigs may have to fly before it happens though wink

#855183 - 27/03/2010 11:35 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: snugaroo]
divho Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane
This may help answer cyclone lightning questions

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/09jan_electrichurricanes.htm

#855185 - 27/03/2010 11:42 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: divho]
snugaroo Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: divho
This may help answer cyclone lightning questions

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/09jan_electrichurricanes.htm

That's a great little article, very interesting. I hope they figure it out, looks like they have a nice puzzle there.

#855192 - 27/03/2010 12:01 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: snugaroo]
divho Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane
Nice photos in here to give an appreciation of eye and eye wall structure ( copy and paste the first address )

http://home.att.net/~typhoon1/index.html

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2496.htm

Edited by divho (27/03/2010 12:04)

#855737 - 29/03/2010 13:58 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: divho]
DeniseEm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ok im still learning here and i was looking through some satellite pics on the bottom right hand corner of this sat pic is there something forming down there or is that just cloud rotation.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/vsgoes.html

Edited by DeniseEm (29/03/2010 13:59)
Edit Reason: spelling

#855740 - 29/03/2010 14:14 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: DeniseEm]
Jaliza Offline
Weather Freak

I wonder if someone could put a map up then draw on it showing us what we should be keeping an eye on, just so its easier to try and learn...Its hard when you dont understand what people are looking at. I'm enjoying learning about them.

#855748 - 29/03/2010 14:53 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: DeniseEm]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Originally Posted By: DeniseEm
Ok im still learning here and i was looking through some satellite pics on the bottom right hand corner of this sat pic is there something forming down there or is that just cloud rotation.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/vsgoes.html

There is indeed a weak (cold cored) low out there but the main cause is a series shortwave/upper troughs arcing up over that area (which isn't unusual for that part of the world). A long way away and no influence on Australia but good pickup nonetheless. smile

#855753 - 29/03/2010 15:35 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Mega]
DeniseEm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeah i knew there was no worry to Australia was just trying to teach myself to pick up on low's etc via the satellite pics and thanks for the explaination on this one helps greatly.

#855759 - 29/03/2010 15:48 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Jaliza]
DeniseEm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Jaliza
I wonder if someone could put a map up then draw on it showing us what we should be keeping an eye on, just so its easier to try and learn...Its hard when you dont understand what people are looking at. I'm enjoying learning about them.

Good idea Jaliza what i did was looked at the low up top of Darwin then just searched through all the other sat pics to see if i could find something similar. Just to teach myself how to pick up on them. But yeah would be so much easier if when a low forms over in the coral sea if someone could Screenshot it and draw a circle around where they are talking about. In simple terms for us newbies.

#855779 - 29/03/2010 17:09 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: DeniseEm]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
If you want another good example of a cold cored low, keep an eye on the blob of cloud to the the area east of New Caledonia over the next 48 hours.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgms.html

This chart shows a very strong upper trough out there which should induce a little surface low within the next two days.

Upper trough begins to tilt:

GFS prog for Wednesday morning showing the surface low:

Again, nothing for the east coast of Australia to get excited about but still good to keep an eye on if you're learning. smile

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
28 registered (Aussiestormguy, TeeCee, samboz, thecatandme, Popeye, Colin Maitland, Kezza34, Jesse24, Wave Rider, breezy04, Weary, Delix, Mathew, raincheck, Mick10, Carmen, Wezza, aussiestormfreak, scott12, Petros, Raindammit, mysteriousbrad, Sbv72, Sidney, Stargate, 3 invisible), 379 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
kezza, Simmah
Forum Stats
29145 Members
32 Forums
23555 Topics
1442277 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image