Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#955115 - 03/02/2011 16:03 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
janama Offline
Cloud Gazer

Thank you !SCHUMMY!

I still have the page - it reached 47 at the height of the storm but soon settled back down.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=32141&list=ob

#955118 - 03/02/2011 16:06 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: janama]
janama Offline
Cloud Gazer

BTW the temperature measuring equipment is different from the wind measuring equipment.

#969695 - 05/03/2011 18:24 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Rocky Raccoon]
Spunky Tuna Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Atherton QLD
Divergence and Convergence. My understanding is like a cycle.... Air going into low level covergence systems going upwards and heading back to divergence zones?!?! Ive Goggled and stuff but im still wondering if anyone can expend?
Also What are we looking for on http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-...dvg&zoom=&time= to see ideal conditions for thes two zones to be in for favourable Cyclogenesis?.... I understand the yellow numbers on yellow line mean Knots? Am i correct? Do I treat the two some what like Highs and lows? (IE Direct of Convergence speeds is Anti clockwize Divergence direction is Clock wize?)

Im Slowly understanding the rest of the stuff but just wanna be sure on this topic? I have also posted on Cyclone Advice and informantion but i also thought i would post on tropical cyclone thread because I thought it might help others like myself understand?!?!
Thanks for putting up with my Mind boggling questions from time to time!

Regards
The TUNA FISH

#969924 - 05/03/2011 22:56 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: SBT]
Spunky Tuna Offline
Weather Freak

Divergence and Convergence. My understanding is like a cycle.... Air going into low level covergence systems going upwards and heading back to divergence zones?!?! Ive Goggled and stuff but im still wondering if anyone can expend?
Also What are we looking for on http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-...dvg&zoom=&time= to see ideal conditions for thes two zones to be in for favourable Cyclogenesis?.... I understand the yellow numbers on yellow line mean Knots? Am i correct? Do I treat the two some what like Highs and lows? (IE Direct of Convergence speeds is Anti clockwize Divergence direction is Clock wize?)

Im Slowly understanding the rest of the stuff but just wanna be sure on this topic?

Regards
The TUNA FISH

#970318 - 06/03/2011 14:17 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: snugaroo]
Kemu Offline
Cloud Gazer

I have a question about the tracking of cyclones, in particular, why do cyclones tracking westwards from the Coral Sea almost never pass through the Torres Strait, and even more rarely make it to the south coast of New Guinea except for the south-eastern tip - they almost always cross the coast of Cape York Peninsula or further south. Does this have anything to do with the high mountains of interior New Guinea, or is there some other reason?

[img:left]http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/silo/cyclones.cgi?region=ause&syear=1906&eyear=2006&loc=0[/img]

#970328 - 06/03/2011 14:30 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Kemu]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aitkenvale, Townsville
I'd like to know the answer to that too Kemu.
I've lived in central and NQ all my life. I had always thought/been told that cyclones that are stationary are more likely to intensify and come in strong than fast moving cyclones - that fast movers loose their intensity, or at least, can't intensify and are less dangerous. Obviously that's not the case...anthony, yasi, larry etc...all moved at a rate of knots and intensified as they did so. Was I the only one fed the old wives tale, or is it more widespread a belief? If so...where did it come from...or, are the previous cyclones the exceptions to the rule?

#970361 - 06/03/2011 15:47 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: boxsey]
cheekeymonkey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Yorkeys Knob, Cairns
If you look at BOM's cyclone page, they have a map showing tracks of previous cyclones. There are a couple that have tracked through the Torres Strait, but only a couple.
Cyclones don't form within 500kms of the equator as there is not enough vorticity to create spin- they also have a tendency to track generally polewards once formed.
I hope this makes sense, & I stand to be corrected, but that is my understanding.

#970378 - 06/03/2011 16:26 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: boxsey]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
Originally Posted By: boxsey
I'd like to know the answer to that too Kemu.
I've lived in central and NQ all my life. I had always thought/been told that cyclones that are stationary are more likely to intensify and come in strong than fast moving cyclones - that fast movers loose their intensity, or at least, can't intensify and are less dangerous. Obviously that's not the case...anthony, yasi, larry etc...all moved at a rate of knots and intensified as they did so. Was I the only one fed the old wives tale, or is it more widespread a belief? If so...where did it come from...or, are the previous cyclones the exceptions to the rule?

yeah ve heard of this tale before. why this doesnt happen because if a cyclone is stationary for prolonged periods of time it stirs up the ocean and upwells cool water from the depths of the ocean and as you know TC's need nice warm water to survive. hence why fast moving/or at least moving at a reasonable speed TC's can generate strength and intensify because there is less upwelling from the water down below. i hope this makes sense smile

and yes cheekeymonkey, your right with the vorticity thing smile also remember the TC's spin in the opposite direction in the northern hemishpere....

#970382 - 06/03/2011 16:35 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
cheekeymonkey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Yorkeys Knob, Cairns
Thanks, !Schummy, good to know I got that right!

Also interesting to note is that there is never any cyclone activity on the Western side of South America, & only 2 recorded cyclones on the East Coast of the same continent.

There is also no activity off the West coast of Africa, either.

The only explanation I have found to answer why this is that the water temperature off these coasts is relatively low due to the Antarctic streams & the fact that the water is much deeper here. Can anyone confirm/deny or offer another explanation??? (please)

#970394 - 06/03/2011 16:55 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: cheekeymonkey]
Spunky Tuna Offline
Weather Freak

Just found this site that really helped me understand Divergence and Convergence!
http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/whatgoesup3.htm

#970573 - 06/03/2011 20:35 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: !SCHUMMY!
yeah ve heard of this tale before. why this doesnt happen because if a cyclone is stationary for prolonged periods of time it stirs up the ocean and upwells cool water from the depths of the ocean and as you know TC's need nice warm water to survive. hence why fast moving/or at least moving at a reasonable speed TC's can generate strength and intensify because there is less upwelling from the water down below. i hope this makes sense smile

That does make sense, and thank you for taking the time to explain that. Is there any difference between severe TC's and lower cat/TLows though....in that, if a low, or cat 1 is stationary for a while...is that more conducive to further intensification, vs allready strongly formed systems, which gather more energy/power from traversing quickly across warm ocean? Or, is the whole thing I grew up with completely and utterly debunked and I should toss that out of my brain forever?? It seems to be a wide spread belief....unless its just my family! Lol.

#970650 - 06/03/2011 22:21 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: boxsey]
!SCHUMMY! Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Jimboomba, SEQ
a weak system (CAT 1/2) will upwell cold water but itll take longer than the more powerful TC's (CAT 3+). for example....

a CAT 5 that is near stationary/slow moving for 2 days will weaken because it upwells cold water very quickly. A real-life example was STC Ului

a CAT 1 that is stationary/slow moving for 2 days will probably intensify if conditions are right because it takes a lot longer for the cold water to upwell to the surface

hope this helps smile

#971607 - 08/03/2011 07:57 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Thanks, awesome explanation. (Sorry for late thank you...having trouble staying logged in).

#975225 - 16/03/2011 13:02 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: Spunky Tuna]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
West Africa SST's
Currents pushing cold water northwards means that the warmest waters are around the noirthern coasts of west africa.

South America SST's Yes you are right. Cold antartic currents push too far northwards on either coasts for cyclongensis to occur below the middle of south america.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#978374 - 24/03/2011 08:20 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: SBT]
JoshweatherNOW. Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cairns, Bayview
very interestine SBT i have always wondered about that thanks mate !

Does their season start when ours finishes?

Edited by JoshweatherNOW. (24/03/2011 08:21)

#979680 - 28/03/2011 16:59 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: JoshweatherNOW.]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I have no idea. But I would think it would be the same as ours as summer is in the southern hemisphere right now.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#979941 - 29/03/2011 11:30 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: SBT]
SubtropicalCyclo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: QLD Australia
i thought Larry was a tropical cyclone not a subtropical one

#980654 - 30/03/2011 23:55 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: SubtropicalCyclo]
boomer Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Cairns
I have been speaking to others and may have a solution to the current gripes in relation to the CS thread that due to some inflexibility, inappropriate posts and general misunderstandings have led to short term bans and general angst.
I suggest the creation of a cyclone lounge as follows ( the current general lounge is both too far away and too generic)?
Said lounge incorporates the CS, Fiji and Gulf.
When a low, or not, is brewing people interested in extreme weather can chat in the lounge (a similar situ for Darwin, Gulf and WA could mirror).
If it looks promising, or is called, a thread for the said low or TC can be created.
Another tech thread can run along side for said feature.
When said event is over all go back to the lounge (others who wish to continue can do so on existing thread).
This will solve a number of issues, namely:
Members interested in TC’s are essentially homeless when there is no event… solved.
A place where longitude is not an issue….solved
A place for new and old to interact and learn… solved.
A place for the advanced to chat… solved.
A place where mods are not stressed by heavy traffic and silliness when the [censored] hits the fan as there should be no need to make large jumps between threads…. Solved.
This suggestion has received support from some long term members and is seriously being considered by the mods.
However, it may be improved.

Thoughts?

#984782 - 17/04/2011 11:26 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: boomer]
Anundsjo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Edmonton (foot of mountains)
I received an email from the BOM last week saying that the TC name I requested has been put onto a supplementary list. Anyone have an idea how long it usually takes for a name to make it to the main list?

Also if a TC eventuates in Australian waters but doesn't impact on the Australian coastline (eg TC Zelia), does this mean that this TC doesn't actually get retired and it merely gets recycled?

#1017522 - 07/10/2011 10:35 Re: Cyclone Information/Advice [Re: !SCHUMMY!]
grumbleguts Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane
Originally Posted By: !SCHUMMY!
a weak system (CAT 1/2) will upwell cold water but itll take longer than the more powerful TC's (CAT 3+). for example....

a CAT 5 that is near stationary/slow moving for 2 days will weaken because it upwells cold water very quickly. A real-life example was STC Ului

a CAT 1 that is stationary/slow moving for 2 days will probably intensify if conditions are right because it takes a lot longer for the cold water to upwell to the surface

hope this helps smile

I made an animation of ului's satellite images which show it's deterioration when it became stationary and subsequent reorganisation when it started moving again.
Ului Animation
1 cat has 8 tails.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Wave Rider, Steve777), 288 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Christopher M.J.T, hiho, mscactus, Yangvews
Forum Stats
29297 Members
32 Forums
23625 Topics
1454117 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image