NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#954862 - 03/02/2011 12:27 Re: site down? [Re: CivEngSean]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
Should add that all constructive comments in this thread will be taken on board smile

Cheers

Kev

#954865 - 03/02/2011 12:29 Re: site down? [Re: KevD]
whirlygirl Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Rocky,Qld
Morning all, glad the server is back up and working again. Very glad to hear that there are no fatalities reported as yet too.

#954873 - 03/02/2011 12:35 Re: site down? [Re: whirlygirl]
CivEngSean Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Indooroopilly
Perhaps Black Nor,' a new Level of membership can be created like 'mods' etc, which could be called professional or expert. These people would have a different colour in their post and their profession is displayed so that general viewers know they can be trusted. If the volume of posts is an issue maybe some kind of flood control is needed.

Whether the amount of posts you can make is universal, or goes by status would need to be debated

#954875 - 03/02/2011 12:36 Re: site down? [Re: whirlygirl]
Kman Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Brisbane
Thank you for the update Kev. Conspiracy theorists can now stand down. The amount of of traffic that WZ experienced last night, regularly causes problems for even government websites with large amounts of infrastructure. A recent example being the Brisbane City Council website during the recent flood event. To combat this type of traffic can be an expensive exercise. Thank you to all contributors in the last few days with their experienced weather knowledge. It was a great learning experience for me and glad there are no reports of injuries thus far.

#954878 - 03/02/2011 12:37 Re: site down? [Re: CivEngSean]
whirlygirl Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Rocky,Qld
Perhaps, with new members joining it's read only for 24hrs? Still gaining information just not able to post.

#954883 - 03/02/2011 12:40 Re: site down? [Re: KevD]
pkgjmg Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warren Park
Originally Posted By: Scottie A
I think that there needs to be a limitation placed on how many times a user can post within a certain period say 1-2 post per hour max especially for new users so that they can get a feel for how this forum 'Community' runs and behaves. It would not be hard with the forum software/extension/plugins available these days. This way we would hopefully get more bulk informative postings hopefully and less one liners. A reputation system would not go astray either...

they sound like good idea's scottie - the better your reputation the more you can post - simple !

#954885 - 03/02/2011 12:41 Re: site down? [Re: CivEngSean]
Richey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: was Grafton, NSW....now Brisba...
Originally Posted By: CivEngSean
Perhaps Black Nor,' a new Level of membership can be created like 'mods' etc, which could be called professional or expert. These people would have a different colour in their post and their profession is displayed so that general viewers know they can be trusted. If the volume of posts is an issue maybe some kind of flood control is needed.

Whether the amount of posts you can make is universal, or goes by status would need to be debated

Agree something to distinguish the users who "know more" (for lack of a better word) would be great. Also the idea of an embargo before a large event, say preventing people to create an account 2-3 days before and during a severe weather event. or limithing the amount of posts a non-expert can make during these events.

#954890 - 03/02/2011 12:43 Re: site down? [Re: pkgjmg]
Scottie A Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Spring Mountain, Greenbank
Originally Posted By: pkgjmg
I think that there needs to be a limitation placed on how many times a user can post within a certain period say 1-2 post per hour max especially for new users so that they can get a feel for how this forum 'Community' runs and behaves. It would not be hard with the forum software/extension/plugins available these days. This way we would hopefully get more bulk informative postings hopefully and less one liners. A reputation system would not go astray either...

they sound like good idea's scottie - the better your reputation the more you can post - simple !

Ive done my fair share of web design for the last few years and yeh this would be possible but it really depends what forum software they are running here, it actually looks like some kind of embedded CMS type software which may actually be alot harder to implement such a system if so than using open source or standalone software phpbb, Vbulletin, IPB and so forth.

Edited by Scottie A (03/02/2011 12:45)

#954895 - 03/02/2011 12:46 Re: site down? [Re: Scottie A]
windjammer Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Speaking of server overload, didn't the BoM website do well last night? I wonder if they had use of defence servers, if that's possible?

#954897 - 03/02/2011 12:48 Re: site down? [Re: windjammer]
Kman Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Brisbane
Agree windjammer. BOM site was as fast as usual. Particularly the Cairns radar.

#954900 - 03/02/2011 12:52 Re: site down? [Re: windjammer]
Drought Relief Offline
Weather Freak

Just a suggestion taken from the ipswich city council. During the flood they were contactable but it was impossible to download anything from the site but after some time they introduced a cut down version of the site with only the flood info and nothing else and then it started working ok. I am wondering if the same thing could be done with a forum. Shut down all the threads other then emergency info ones until the load subsides

Also I would emagine a lot of load would be people refreshing... so I wonder if make the number of pages in a thread smaller would help. I have no clue as to how this software works so forgive my ignorance but if perhaps thread were closed and a new one opened sooner it might help... (like have part 1. 2 etc threads)

Edited by Drought Relief (03/02/2011 12:55)

#954908 - 03/02/2011 12:56 Re: site down? [Re: Scottie A]
RoadkillNZ Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Jimboomba, Qld
Originally Posted By: pkgjmg

Ive done my fair share of web design for the last few years and yeh this would be possible but it really depends what forum software they are running here, it actually looks like some kind of embedded CMS type software which may actually be alot harder to implement such a system if so than using open source or standalone software phpbb, Vbulletin, IPB and so forth.

There is a possiable problem with this theory if the new user actually has valuable information about any current weather events and happen to live in the middle of it while it is happening, they are then restricted to what they can post about it, especially in the tech threads, or they have been posting in the lounge and they have a thunderstorm with 50 cent hail just pass overhead, but they can't warn people because htey have hit thier limit. We also have to remember that last night was unprecedented in Queensland history, coming after another unusual event which made the awareness of this forum higher than would of been if it had not of been for the earlier floods. I would hate to see people to have restrictions based on 1 event. It is better to have modding in the forums, with the mods having private words to offenders if need be, with individual suspensions/bans for behavior. IMHO

Wind is under reported because it is sheltered by trees.

#954910 - 03/02/2011 12:57 Re: site down? [Re: Scottie A]
Nino :0) Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Batchelor NT
This was a very predictable cyclone, hate to see a future thread with a unpredictable one (30 pages / minute with landfall guesses??)
mmmm once you could read 90% good information and 10% irrelevant
plus the odd fight
now its 90% irrelevant and 10% good information and multiple fights
Newbies need to learn to lurk, learn who has relevant accurate info
After a few years one soon learns who to trust and now its not worth trawling through all the rubbish to find it
I think a thread for members with 2 years or longer would be appropriate in such events along side a chit chat one for newbies who could cut and paste from the other thread
A lot of people turned up over the couple of days and were very opinionated
Anyway this newbie shall shut up and go back to lurking and watching

#954917 - 03/02/2011 13:07 Re: site down? [Re: Nino :0)]
CivEngSean Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Indooroopilly
Originally Posted By: Nino :0)
This was a very predictable cyclone, hate to see a future thread with a unpredictable one (30 pages / minute with landfall guesses??)
mmmm once you could read 90% good information and 10% irrelevant
plus the odd fight
now its 90% irrelevant and 10% good information and multiple fights
Newbies need to learn to lurk, learn who has relevant accurate info
After a few years one soon learns who to trust and now its not worth trawling through all the rubbish to find it
I think a thread for members with 2 years or longer would be appropriate in such events along side a chit chat one for newbies who could cut and paste from the other thread
A lot of people turned up over the couple of days and were very opinionated
Anyway this newbie shall shut up and go back to lurking and watching

This is the problem. When I joined in 2005 (with an account I forgot the password to) the WZ forums used to be a niche' forum where only the passionate weather watchers and experts used to chat. However now they are moving into a mainstream source of information due to the above fact. As they become more popular this problem will occurr more.

In the case of newbies having really good info but being limited by posting restrictions, they could always PM one of the 'oldies' with the info?

#954920 - 03/02/2011 13:09 Re: site down? [Re: Kman]
davidg Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Glenbrook/Penrith
The ideas put forth so far (including my own) would help solve the server overload issue and definately clean up the threads so that long term members can actually discuss the event. Unfortunately it would also limit the number of real time obs from new members that have jumped on here to let the world know whats happening. Having said that though, 99% of the posts last night were not from those on the ground in the region where the cyclone crossed as communications were lost during that period. Most were from "TBA" or elsewhere in the state. Whilst there were a lot of good posts they were simply lost in the shear volume of one liners and misinformation. I enjoyed reading the tech thread but when the site went down that was lost too lol. Its unfortunate but hopefully the next event can be better handled.

Edited by davidg (03/02/2011 13:13)

#954921 - 03/02/2011 13:09 Re: site down? [Re: Nino :0)]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

The final two posts in the tech section before it crashed lends some credence to the "it was taken down" supporters ...

#954926 - 03/02/2011 13:12 Re: site down? [Re: CivEngSean]
windjammer Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Unfortunatly, there's one or two 'oldies' who talk up a good pile of poop too.

I agree that things were not always like this. I remember lurking in this forum during Larry, and the amount of informed, educational and technical information was amazing, and I joined shortly after.

I thought WZ regularly split threads to reduce server load. Is there a reason this wasn't done this time, or do I have it wrong?

#954927 - 03/02/2011 13:13 Re: site down? [Re: Jax]
Richey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: was Grafton, NSW....now Brisba...
how about just a simple rating system in threads (thumbs up/thumbs down), too many negative hits and the post is minimised, not compleatly removed so people can still look at the post if they wish but just out of the way leaving valuable info easier to see? it seems to work on other forums..

#954934 - 03/02/2011 13:18 Re: site down? [Re: Nino :0)]
sydstorm Offline
Cloud Gazer

Im still a newbie and have learnt to read instead of just posting for the sake of it. A couple things I have thought of would be to prevent the posting of images by guest or new members. Perhaps using facebook twitter a little more during major events. As long as visitors can read info on these forums then dont allow new memberships during major events, but allow a pm system to moderators with information. Train members (with a min 2 years on this forum or after determining suitablility) as emergency moderators during peek times to help out with processing large volumes of posts.

One final suggestion would be to post a message on the home page of WZ that the forum is down and will be for approximately x amount of time. This would prevent people trying to access the servers just to get error messages. This would have to give the servers a break and the tecs a chance to restart or whatever.

Thanks for a great site.

#954937 - 03/02/2011 13:21 Re: site down? [Re: Jax]
OverDrive Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Stafford, QLD
Host ALL resources (images/js/css) on a content distribution network (CDN) and change the cache expiry on the aforementioned filetypes (assuming they do not change often) to 7 days (for example).

You'll get a massive reduction in both traffic and load, as your server will only serve text content (ie: the data that is always changing).

Here is what I use on a large vBulletin forum:

Code:
<ifModule mod_expires.c>
  ExpiresActive On
  ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 seconds"
  ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 1 seconds"
  ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 604800 seconds"
  ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 604800 seconds"
  ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 604800 seconds"
  ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 604800 seconds"
  ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 604800 seconds"
  ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 604800 seconds"
</ifModule>
<ifModule mod_headers.c>
  <filesMatch "\\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|swf)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800, public"
  </filesMatch>
  <filesMatch "\\.(css)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800, public"
  </filesMatch>
  <filesMatch "\\.(js)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800, private"
  </filesMatch>
  <filesMatch "\\.(xml|txt)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=21600, public, must-revalidate"
  </filesMatch>
  <filesMatch "\\.(html|htm|php)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=1, private, must-revalidate"
  </filesMatch>
</ifModule>
<ifModule mod_headers.c>
  Header unset ETag
</ifModule>
FileETag None
<ifModule mod_headers.c>
  Header unset Last-Modified
</ifModule>

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
1 registered (StormCapture), 50 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image