NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 34 of 66 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65 66 >
Topic Options
#1242792 - 17/02/2014 08:44 Re: sharks [Re: Adele]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Adele
Again I have to stress as to whether there was a lot of research that went into this current bait drum line policy.

Apparently Barnett was given advice from quite a few researches and fishermen in the lead up to the cull and ignored the advice not to go ahead because the overall consensus was that it won't work.

#1242895 - 17/02/2014 17:09 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

Reading what Adele has posted I totally agree with that professional fisherman, one of my friends who fished sharks in down the Augusta area in the 90s had said similar things i.e. as soon as they stopped fishing the sharks as a by catch in South Australia then the numbers of Great Whites in Western Australian waters seemed to increased substantially.

I spend thousands of hours in the water down the south coast of W.A as a surfer when I was younger and only once did I actually see a Great White Shark swim past. Although there was an occasion down Black Point where something knocked me off my board just after sunset as I was finishing up on a wave. I didn't see it but had a graze on my calf from it. One of my mates who was just paddling in said it was a shark but he only got a glimpse of the tail of it so wasn't sure what type it was.

I don't agree with Barnett's methods of shark culling and are more in favour of using electronic devices as deterrents that seem to be working .

#1242904 - 17/02/2014 17:51 Re: sharks [Re: ColdFront]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Silkstone
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Originally Posted By: Adele
Again I have to stress as to whether there was a lot of research that went into this current bait drum line policy.

Apparently Barnett was given advice from quite a few researches and fishermen in the lead up to the cull and ignored the advice not to go ahead because the overall consensus was that it won't work.

an interesting word. apparently.... appearing as such but not necessarily so.

#1242906 - 17/02/2014 18:10 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Always had a deep respect for lots of marine animals including sharks of any species when I was in the water.

There is one underlining question that seems to mystify a lot shark attacks which is that unlike a lot of crocodile attacks on humans ...why don't the sharks eat their victims after an attack ?

I read that this maybe because they are not used to seeing humans in the water and are not sure if they are edible or not ..so they have a bite and reject us as a food source. Are they mistaking us for other animals ?

And yes I know some people have been eaten up completely but in the majority of cases the victim of a shark attack dies of loss of blood or from their injuries.

#1242926 - 17/02/2014 19:37 Re: sharks [Re: desieboy]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: desieboy
I don't agree with Barnett's methods of shark culling and are more in favour of using electronic devices as deterrents that seem to be working .

quoted previously by @-yasified-shak;
Tour guide Elyse Frankcom, who was attacked by a 3.5m great white shark in 2010 while snorkelling among dolphins with tourists, believes a shark shield saved her life.
The shark bit her legs, but she activated the device before passing out as a tourist helped her.
"Despite blood being in the water, despite an attack already, the shark was not seen once the shark shield was on," she said. "I do definitely believe that this shield saved my life." end quote….

the pattern told by most gws survivors is, shark hits, then for whatever reason does not continue the attack and heads off.

Now the lady above activated her device after shark contact, was this attack the hit and head off like other survivors or did the shark shield stop the shark continuing to attack??

Can anyone say for sure which was the case?

this article is about 1 and half year old,video shows failure of electronic shark deterrent

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nationa...r-1226492350934

Edited by Gad (17/02/2014 19:40)

#1242943 - 17/02/2014 20:33 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
One of our ex guides was working alongside that girl that was attacked. He saw the shark come up from the bottom through the group and attack her. He was under the impression that there was no activating anything after she was attacked. Not sure what they were trying to achieve by saying so. I didn't think it was a GWS either. He was pretty shaken up 3rd day on the job and that happened. I spoke to him the day it happened.

#1242946 - 17/02/2014 20:38 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
Also guy did a kayak trip from Perth to Albany a few years back and he was trailing a shark shield out the back. He encountered numerous Great white sharks that actually came in to investigate the shark shield before moving on. Others that have kayaked the same coast have never seen anything. I think those things attract sharks.

If you have a mate using one and your in the water with him I think it would be a scary situation to be in. Shark gets attracted to the shark shield and then looks to you nearby. Bugger that.

#1242995 - 17/02/2014 23:12 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Oh well there we go ...saw a thing from Hawaii that showed they were quite effective but maybe it was another product will have a look and get back . Anyway I thought those shark shields were o.k but not according to what i just seen on Gad's link .Glad I didnt go out and buy one especially if I had a 6kg piece of Tuna hanging around my leg and there was a GWS hanging around...lol

#1243226 - 18/02/2014 14:32 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

From the local newspaper today:

"A TOTAL of 66 sharks — including a 4.1 metre tiger shark, but not a single great white shark — have been caught on drum lines in three weeks under the State Government’s controversial kill policy."

Well it doesn't seem like there having much success catching them..

Poor tiger sharks getting a hammering ...

#1243234 - 18/02/2014 15:04 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Also from today news:

"In the South-West, a contractor has caught 23 sharks since January 25, killing 13 tiger sharks over three metres in length and releasing six smaller sharks."

I don't remember that many people being attacked by Tiger Sharks in W.A .

This is why this shark culling is a load of crap it becomes so
indiscriminate.

#1243244 - 18/02/2014 16:07 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Desieboy getting knocked off your board at Black Point would have got your heart hammering - not a spot you'd want to get badly damaged and then pull off a cliff climb and a bush bash before even getting back to a sealed road that's still in the middle of nowhere.

If the drums had been allowed to go in straight after the last attack behind Gracetown, while the whales were still migrating south, there would have been pointers caught. The drums went in right at the end of the migration, you're lucky to see a humpback at the end of January down there. Big blues, but not humpies with their calves. No doubt they would have followed the humpbacks well into the Southern Ocean by January 25th and then headed across to the Bight to clean up any weak/sick/small right whale calves still there before the trek back to the Antarctic. And then there's the Bremer Canyon, when does that fire up? I don't think this is the time of year to expect white pointers to be caught north of the Capes.

Yeah Popeye, a friend tested a shark shield in the hope of using it for work ab diving and surfing and had one sniffing around within minutes. He said he won't be using one. I'll chase him up for the story again, I think it involved the shark actually attacking the shield.

Regarding Elyse Francom, it does seem strange that she was wearing one but it was switched off - might interfere with the dolphins perhaps? Bit of a catch 22 in that line of work if that's the case. Could be compulsory to wear one with workers insurance policy?

#1243259 - 18/02/2014 17:23 Re: sharks [Re: Jax]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Jax Black Point was one place that used to put the fear of God into me ...with those big cliffs facing the right hander the isolation and the huge amount of fish in the water it was a bit scary especially that day I was knocked off my board as it was very overcast except for the horizon which was clear.

I've also read that a majority of shark attacks happen on overcast days ...when I was working as a diver in Broome we saw more sharks around when it was a bit overcast too..

In Stradbroke Island QLD I had a huge Tiger Shark come right underneath me , then surfaced and turned right in front of me. Caught the next wave in quick fast. But I must say that me and my mate had been warned by the locals about going surfing at first light especially where the boat fishos were out there , but we couldn't sleep on the beach because of the mosquitos so we hit the water before sunrise. The sun never really came up that day and by 8am it was pissing down.

One of my friends was attacked at Cactus in South Australia and required 165 stiches on his waist and legs ..the GW then chewed up his surfboard with its head right out of the water ..he was very lucky to survive.

As I said previously mentioned always a deep respect for the ocean itself and what resided in it and always realised the risks and dangers involved when entering the water. I was a lot more worried about falling off the top of a big wave and hitting the reef/rocks than worrying about sharks..

#1243262 - 18/02/2014 17:30 Re: sharks [Re: desieboy]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: desieboy

Oh well there we go ...saw a thing from Hawaii that showed they were quite effective but maybe it was another product will have a look and get back . Anyway I thought those shark shields were o.k but not according to what i just seen on Gad's link .Glad I didnt go out and buy one especially if I had a 6kg piece of Tuna hanging around my leg and there was a GWS hanging around...lol

there are different types?/models? of the electronic devices on the market. Other types may or may not work, have any been tested in the circumstances of a shark in full on attack mode.

Most attack survivors did not see the shark prior to the impact.

I must admit I`m a little surprised that a 4+ metre shark was caught.

Edited by Gad (18/02/2014 17:35)

#1243281 - 18/02/2014 19:08 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Why are you surprised about that Gad?

#1243284 - 18/02/2014 19:23 Re: sharks [Re: Jax]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Originally Posted By: Jax
Desieboy getting knocked off your board at Black Point would have got your heart hammering - not a spot you'd want to get badly damaged and then pull off a cliff climb and a bush bash before even getting back to a sealed road that's still in the middle of nowhere.

If the drums had been allowed to go in straight after the last attack behind Gracetown, while the whales were still migrating south, there would have been pointers caught. The drums went in right at the end of the migration, you're lucky to see a humpback at the end of January down there. Big blues, but not humpies with their calves. No doubt they would have followed the humpbacks well into the Southern Ocean by January 25th and then headed across to the Bight to clean up any weak/sick/small right whale calves still there before the trek back to the Antarctic. And then there's the Bremer Canyon, when does that fire up? I don't think this is the time of year to expect white pointers to be caught north of the Capes.

Yeah Popeye, a friend tested a shark shield in the hope of using it for work ab diving and surfing and had one sniffing around within minutes. He said he won't be using one. I'll chase him up for the story again, I think it involved the shark actually attacking the shield.

Regarding Elyse Francom, it does seem strange that she was wearing one but it was switched off - might interfere with the dolphins perhaps? Bit of a catch 22 in that line of work if that's the case. Could be compulsory to wear one with workers insurance policy?

Given this point you have so clearly made why is it that we don't just knock the humpacks over instead. It would be a far more effective way of ensuring GWS don't attack people(if you remove the food source the sharks will go elsewhere). I reckon it would be a great idea. We could use the oil to light lanterns on dark foggy nights and sell the meat to the Japanese for a tidy profit at the same time. I can't really see any difference between Humpbacks and the sharks really. They are both just biological creatures .

#1243286 - 18/02/2014 19:26 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Because it is not the humpbacks eating people Brett...

#1243287 - 18/02/2014 19:31 Re: sharks [Re: Jax]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Because it is not the humpbacks eating people Brett...

So in other words you are more concerned about petty revenge than actually stopping people being eaten. Funny because that is not what you have actually said in all your posts. C'mon. At least be honest with everyone. If revenge is what your after then man up and say it!

#1243362 - 18/02/2014 23:09 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

What is it with people putting words in my mouth in this thread? No Brett, it's not "revenge". It's common sense. And as much as you think the majority don't agree with me, certainly among water users, the majority do. Go back through this thread, somewhere I posted a link to a poll run in a water users forum. 87% are in favour. And given they are the ones likely to see a shark to appreciate its beauty, or to be eaten or attacked by it, in my opinion, they deserve to have a say. And the east coasters most unlikely to be affected really ought to stay out of it, particularly given the fact it happens in that backyard already, and has for a very, very long time. You still have sharks, and shark nurseries. So your arguments about collapsing the ecosystem etc etc are basically a load of scaremongering rot.

#1243369 - 18/02/2014 23:24 Re: sharks [Re: Jax]
ColdFront Offline

And the east coasters most unlikely to be affected really ought to stay out of it,

It's not going to happen wink

Great Whites are protected under federal law ,not just in WA. Or did Barnett tell you otherwise?
Given the massive migration of oceanic sharks some of those swimming around in WA no doubt came from the nursery on the east coast .

Maybe someone can show us all when the last attack in WA from a tiger shark occurred? After all that's all these halfwits are catching.

No wonder the tossers killing them are putting up an argument to do it. $5705 a day to kill a protected species. Now that's what I call a conflict of interest.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-...3-1226812860599

basically a load of scaremongering rot.

Couldn't agree more. Especially the call to kill these magnificent creatures. Surfers calling for the cull either need to grow a pair of nads, man up and take responsibility for their surfing hobby or stay out of the water.

#1243375 - 18/02/2014 23:39 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

And the east coasters most unlikely to be affected really ought to stay out of it,

....and the relative rarity of attacks would suggest you're most unlikely to be affected either .

Page 34 of 66 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65 66 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image