NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#960507 - 14/02/2011 12:06 one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce
weatherprincess Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: strathpine, brisbane
hey everyone,

I saw in a forum today the SEQ weather one how people dont want to comment as they dont want to get their heads biten off the way i did.
I hold no grudges against anyone i guess its the whole point to forums its a place of opinion and sometimes disagreements.

I understand the more experienced people may get alittle annoyed at us newbies about asking questions but remember you were a newbie at one stage and were probably asking the same questions one time or another...
Listen we will try to learn but you have to learn to give us a chance with out getting angry we just wanna learn... To all the people that have helped me I have gained so so much from different people and they have been fantastic to me all the way..
For the newbies who want to ask questions if you have a question you are welcome to ask me as its probably something i have asked along the way and sometimes my questions have been rather stupid but asking those questions i have learnt so much over the week.

so thank you and good luck to all..!

#960527 - 14/02/2011 13:02 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: weatherprincess]
Scottie A Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Spring Mountain, Greenbank
This is not directed at you more of just a general statement about new comers but not just limited to newbies some longtime members too ...

The thing that really pushes my buttons is when someone posts a question that has already been answered not just once but 2,3,4 times and could simply answer their post/question by reading through the thread like most of the locals do here.

Another thing is when someone asks a question and you wish to know the answer to that question you don't have to post the same question again... just wait patiently and im sure someone will answer without the need for 5 people asking the same thing.

Asking a question that could simply be answered by doing a google/internet search how do you think alot of the people here have gained alot or atleast some of there knowledge from... the internet is a powerful tool for weather education with many sites offering free education/resources.

These are just some of the things that Ive noticed push mine and some of the other locals on this board.

#960531 - 14/02/2011 13:15 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: Scottie A]
weatherprincess Offline
Weather Freak

That is true Scottie.... and i know that was not directed at me we are all entitled to an opinion, the thing is maybe they just need a jump start to help find things, you gotta remember the people in NQ and Brisbane have seen two very bad weather situations this weather, maybe getting opinions from others is a way for them to feel safe, I know i watch houses and peoples businesses go under water in a day, its dramatic what has been witnessed so far and i think more so people are nervous the thought of anything more coming scares certain people...

i know the thought of a cyclone or even rain for that matter scares me but there is nothing i can do but sit and wait if it happens than we cross that road.
I think people use this website as comfort, yes i know that some questions can be googled but what is stopping the people that know alot to just say hey google this and you have heaps of info. (that line took me all of 10 seconds to write)

Look the experienced people dont have any right over the new peoples so its all a case of just trying to work together i believe.

Like i said i didnt start this forum to start agruments etc basically for each other to air what we think and work a way to make the forums happy and less scary for people wanting to learn..

#960536 - 14/02/2011 13:32 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: weatherprincess]
Scottie A Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Spring Mountain, Greenbank
I believe there is a solution to the problem which would lie in a chat/chatroom feature which would cater for those who are more incline to a chat like environment. This would allow for stricter enforcement of the guidelines in the forum and keep those who are after more a chat/comfort experience happy aswell. I believe this is what the Tech and Chat threads are failing to accomplish atm, not all of the time though mainly in Big Events Flood Crisis, TC Yasi etc because forums are simply not designed for quick sort of IM posts. The solution is rather simple and would hope to see something of this nature implemented in the future.

#960542 - 14/02/2011 13:43 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: Scottie A]
weatherprincess Offline
Weather Freak

yeah i cant agree more i think that would be a fantastic idea but while its not around i just think people have to be more relaxed at new people they shouldnt be share to post

#960560 - 14/02/2011 14:42 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: weatherprincess]
ant Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
There is some rude and territorial behaviour in quite a few of the forums here. Too many people do not understand how to have a discussion where they disagree with others. No, you don't have to insult them to win the argument.

Likewise, there's a nasty tendency on the part of some to try and stop others from saying things with which they disagree.

This kind of stuff can result in a forum becomeing ruled by a clique, and the vast majority refrain from posting lest they cop abuse. It's already happening.

#960566 - 14/02/2011 14:56 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: ant]
weatherprincess Offline
Weather Freak

i agree with you ant.. like i said its a free forum you are able to speak etc and some of the people that have been here longer is to realised they dont own it and dont have rights over others..

We all have the freedom to say what we want, its sad because i have seen so many people saying they wont post because they are scared they will get there heads biten off that not right at all.

just hope it becomes all happy.. as i stated and i will keep stating there has been some incidents involving me and people biting my head off i dont want them to think i am against them i think this is a place of learning and expressing and teaching others.

anybody agree with that

#960585 - 14/02/2011 15:23 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: weatherprincess]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I treat all people as I want myself treated , BUT, if you make some idiot statemet that will endanger the lives of fellow forum members then expect to get short shrift from me. I also don't take too kindly being told by some retired tractor driver from Victoria how to prepare for a cyclone when the furtherest north he has ever been was Albury and where the worst wind storm he has seen comes out of a baked bean can.

You can't instantly create a chat forum on a commerically owned website. There are operational, legal and contractural obligations of the owners.

This forum is part of Weatherzone, a commercial company that sells weather information - remember we are here as they allow us to be here - Not because they are under any obligation to provide a forum.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#960589 - 14/02/2011 15:30 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: SBT]
weatherprincess Offline
Weather Freak

oh i know that SBT..... basically i wrote this forum as i saw my name been written in a forum about my head been biten off and i just wanted it known that i dont care i am here to learn and lets face it at the start i did ask some stupid questions but thanks to some fantastic people here i have really learnt alot

and like i said i thank you

#960620 - 14/02/2011 16:25 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: SBT]
Kevin QLD Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Townsville, QLD
Originally Posted By: Sir BoabTree
I also don't take too kindly being told by some retired tractor driver from Victoria how to prepare for a cyclone when the furtherest north he has ever been was Albury and where the worst wind storm he has seen comes out of a baked bean can.

This type of geographic prejudice is counter-productive, as location has little indication of knowledge. The never-ending debate regarding closing/opening windows during a cyclone is a prime example, as a sizable proportion of ill-informed opinion came from Tropics dwellers [and yes, Victoria farmers with stock-opinions in Heinz]

My method to filter idiocy is to tag contributing, knowledgeable and established members, perusing their posts in threads relevant to me. The irony being, your name happens to be on that list.

My bread and butter is psychology but even I have a working knowledge of physics and originating from N-QLD, Ive done my share of cyclones. But at first glance, I am expressly new and originate from a lower middle-income populous, therefore making my knowledge worth its weight in balsa?

Though I agree wholeheartedly when human wellbeing is in jeopardy, the vast majority of people have the capacity to sift through nonsense. It appears as though some people suffer from hyper- vigilance when anything incorrect arises good or bad? It boils doing to individual discretion. Personally, this forum works adequately as a more specified medium for information, largely absence of commercial media agenda.

#960647 - 14/02/2011 17:07 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: Kevin QLD]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Geographic prejudice?
Yep hands up I'm as guilty as sin.

There is an old adage that if you have never expeirence something first hand then any advice you offer is just an opinion you have and it was only derived from what you have been told, read or listened to. Hence my dig at Victorian farmers. Some people think that by reading a webpage or reading a document is all that they need to become instant experts on any subject.

I am a firm believer in the fact that there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are stupid people who don't ask questions but there are no stupid questions.

Never ever be scared of asking questions. If you don't ask you can't learn.

If you need to know something then you can bet that there are plenty of others without the courage to put it into words who also want to know the answer.

If anyone has a question that they want answered, relating to weather, that they don't want to post in a thread then send a PM to the person you think is best qualified to answer it. If you don't know who to send it to send it to me and I will forward it on to someone who may be able to answer it for you.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#960651 - 14/02/2011 17:08 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: SBT]
weatherprincess Offline
Weather Freak

@ SBT i applaud you. Your comment was very well said and done.

Good job

#960652 - 14/02/2011 17:14 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: weatherprincess]
shama Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Frenchs Forest, Petrie, QLD (H...
Great discussion, and i think some valid points raised on both sides. As a relative newbie still, I have learnt to hold back my posts and not get quite so excited, and have learnt not to retaliate and instead let the mods handle it. grin

I fully appreciate everyone who took the time to answer my questions when I first started here, and still continue to be so helpful.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe habour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover....

#960704 - 14/02/2011 19:34 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: shama]
meedee Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Peregian Beach
I am more a reader then a poster. I have been a reader here for 10yrs. I think ive made maybe 5 or 6 posts since i actually became a member but i read here every day.
What i saw during Cyclone Yasi really angered me at times and frustrated me others. People who were new came in and started yelling and screaming every time someone mentioned where they thought Yasi may or may not go and some kept saying that no one-should dare suggest anything and we should all only be listening to BoM. I kept thinking that if that was the case then why were they here? Why hadnt they simply logged on to BoM?
I felt it was extreemly rude for new people to tell others that have been here for many years how to behave on the forums and what they should and shouldnt post.
Someone mentioned a while back that perhaps during big events that new memberships should be with held...im not sure i totally agree with that but perhaps they should only be able to post on a new members board for the first month. That way they could still ask their questions ect but it would stop good information giving threads being filled with posts from new emotion filled posters.

#960716 - 14/02/2011 20:07 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: meedee]
windblown Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Gooseponds Mackay
I have decided never to ask questions or give an opinion...it solves all my problems. I got bitten good and proper the other day, and I've decided that some people are too rude to tolerate. Love the forum but dislike very much the ego's that are in here.

#960737 - 14/02/2011 20:50 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: windblown]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
When was this Windblown?

#960741 - 14/02/2011 21:03 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: windblown]
loveandlite Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Logan
I saw that one windy, was very rude, about the manholes?

#960742 - 14/02/2011 21:04 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: windblown]
Night Rain Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Yungaburra Qld
Like meedee, I am also more of a reader than a poster and at times I must admit that it was very frustrating with what one could only perceive as "tantrums" being posted. Being more of an observer than a participant of some of the unpleasantness that has recently been happening on the forum, it was difficult for some of us who were potentially in the firing line of the cyclone to wade through heaps and heaps of unpleasant posts to find helpful information. Also, I felt that at times it was quite unfair on some of the more knowledgeable members with some of the demanding and repetitive questions and I can appreciate that their usual patience and tolerance level may have been a little stretched. Don't forget, a lot of people up here in FNQ and NQ were very scared at that time and I would hope that those good folk now asking for patience may also extend that to others in understanding that maybe some replies did come across as arrogant or with impatience, but put yourself in the same situation. I do hope that this has been a valuable learning experience for all and everyone can move past this, treat each other with a lot more respect, agree to disagree and be able to look at the "bigger picture", which is to learn more about our weather, isn't it? LOL to all.

#960842 - 15/02/2011 01:06 Re: one for the newbies - lets all call it a truce [Re: Night Rain]
Blowin-Bowinwood Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Bowen Qld.
For what it's worth - In my opinion as one who has read for quiet a long period and only recently joined I previopusly found the information from some senior or more knowledgeable members great and was impressed as to how accurate some are with thier predictions over the time.
The problem I encountered with 'Yasi' was that there were endless pages (I dropped some threads that were up around the 150 mark and growing fast) of bickering and sniping at posters and you had to wade through - in some cases 5 to 6 pages or more to find some usefull info. One possibility for numerous posting of the same question was the volume of 'crappy' posts blurring a good question - how to fix it - don't claim to have an answer.
The result of what happened had me looking for other relevant threads for the Whitsunday area as I was not sure which way 'Yasi' would finally go and make first contact with - as with my limited experience, I can see that they can be most unpredictable (as I was very impressed with TC Anthony - the cyclone that should of died early but kept bouncing back).
What did concern me was the number of emails and phone calls I was getting from others in my area that were really being affected by some of the endless rubbish being posted, I managed to convince them to go to the threads I was now using and also focus in on the "TECHNICAL ONLY" Thread. So I hope all thier fears hade been alleviated by the time we lost power.

Lets try and get back on track for the next serious event and hope we have time to learn from our mistakes in the past, and fix'em.

Blowin-Bowinwood.

(From Some where, where the wind blows in the Whitsundays)!

Blowin-Bowinwood
(this should avoid confussion).

Who's Online
1 registered (pabloako), 49 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
JEFF.H., LaLa, Matt Pearce, Squirel2000, TJK1974, Traveller Steveo, Watcher@Tmba
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image