Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1101410 - 26/04/2012 12:19 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Mezo]
core puncher Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Old bar NSW east of taree
cheers Meso, Yeah i love it.. i'll be focussing more on timelapse next season of full day buildups etc. whatching the convection im such a manner is so more dynamic, unless ofcourse its explosive enough to see it with your own eyes. It'll take me a little more experimentation to get it a lot smoother, and getting the exposure a little more in check when the light is fading.

All part of the fun is learning, might have to tighten the wallet for a decent program though to make life a littel easier and faster, that one took me about 20hrs all up to edit what i could and process it..

Currently using Windoze live gallery, high quality phot resizer (free), and windoze live movie maker..

depending what cameras i use sometime need to use, free opener, freemake video converter and a couple of others,.

Tried out videopad, vegas pro and photoshop trial versions, found videopad to be ok..But happy for any suggestions of programs to toy with smile

#1101475 - 26/04/2012 19:52 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: core puncher]
Hunter Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Maitland
GREAT WORK guys time and patience well worth it.

#1101479 - 26/04/2012 20:45 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Hunter]
EddyG Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Nicely done CP
What type of camera did you use? and what were your time intervals between shots?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1101492 - 26/04/2012 22:02 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: EddyG]
core puncher Offline
Weatherzone Addict

my canon 1000d and for the most part a 18-55 IS and the wide angle toward the end a 8mm rokinon (samyang) the 8mm is new to me so still getting my head around using it correctly as i cant get it to work during the day as the exposure blows right out.. but found its awesome for low light and ideal for astro. with the 18-55 shots they where 5 second intervals and in dark for the sparkage used the 75-300 kit lens with between 10-30sec exposures as the light levels dropped -hence the trouble keeping the light fade consistant- then the 8mm i was doing 30 sec exposures set ap to 3.5 , then in windows movie maker i set the duration to 0.10 seconds (during the sparkage i slowed it back to 0.25).

#1101513 - 27/04/2012 00:44 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: core puncher]
CJI Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Victoria Point
Nice work Core Puncher.
As a personal preference I like a playback frame rate of 24 a second, but I understand how quickly that chews through frames.

My personal workflow is to use Photoshop for RAW > JPG conversion then batch resize, then VirtualDub (free) to compile into AVI.
I don't know if Elements does any of that, but it results in about a half hour time frame to process a few thousand frames.

#1101515 - 27/04/2012 01:22 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: CJI]
core puncher Offline
Weatherzone Addict

thanks for the input CJI, i did have a much faster frame rate to start with but it was way too quick..i just slowed it up bit by bit till it had a better feel to it. Would taking the shots at wider increments then set to a higher frame rate give better results? I also didnt have the camera set for RAW as i was unsure of how many photos id end up taking and didnt want to fill the card mid shoot. But i know next time id fit plenty as i fried my back up camera plugging the wrong charger into it today so now have another 32gig card spare ;o/

eep im going to need a much bigger wallet and no mod cons for a while if im to buy Photoshop cs6 $700!! sheesh,,.. Elements is a little better at $100. Would elements suffice or would i be best getting the best? It'd take me a life time to learn the program, but i just found out the local photographer club is doing a couple of free courses and its only $20 a year membership..I just need to find a way out of work monday nights to attend smile

It'll take a little time to find a program and shooting style to get it all down pat, as they say live n learn smile

#1101518 - 27/04/2012 05:37 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Kev in Bello]
shanu Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: QLD
Hey All,

Some great vids on here, timelapse has been about my only hobby for a few years now, can't get enough of it.
So thought I might share these, bits & pieces from 2007 until late 2011 in no particular order.
All taken in central west Queensland.
These taken by continuous shooting with a Canon Powershot A460 & 2x A1200's, cheapest I could get.
Not real impressed with what YouTube did to the quality though viewed at the small imbedded size it's ok, well sort of, viewed at 480p.
Had to split into 2 parts as YouTube has a 15 minute length limit on videos unless you give google a mobile number & that won't be happening.

I'll try & get part 2 up over the next day or so, uploading this one took a few hours.
There's no sound, only picture.

Cheers

Edited by shanu (27/04/2012 05:41)

#1101542 - 27/04/2012 09:15 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Kev in Bello]
shanu Offline
Cloud Gazer

2nd half of the one above.

#1101630 - 27/04/2012 16:52 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: shanu]
CJI Offline
Weather Freak

Hey Shanu, Great work. Its good to see others in it for the long haul.
You can clearly see years of effort put into your work, so thank you for sharing some of Central West Queensland with the rest of us. I love what looks to be a wet microburst over an arid landscape toward the end of the second piece.

Core Puncher: Its generally playback speed that will effect how smooth it plays out, but as you mentioned, it moves a little quicker than you prefer. Halving your intervals may help, but please be aware that a Canon EOS 1000D has an expected shutter life of around 100,000 articulations.
Personally I shoot at 15sec intervals daytime, and often 30sec intervals night time. This means the storms scream by, but it still plays smooth at 20-24 fps.

I generally like using RAW because it slightly limits the amount of aperture stopping up or down with changing light. It isn't necessary, but it is helpful.

Apparently, Photoshop Elements has limited batch processing, but can do some batch resizing. I'd suggest researching thoroughly though. The thing about Photoshop is you never really need to know all of it, but its often beneficial to.
Someone else may be able to recommend a good batch processing alternative.

#1101686 - 27/04/2012 21:03 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: CJI]
shanu Offline
Cloud Gazer

Originally Posted By: CJI
Hey Shanu, Great work. Its good to see others in it for the long haul.
You can clearly see years of effort put into your work, so thank you for sharing some of Central West Queensland with the rest of us. I love what looks to be a wet microburst over an arid landscape toward the end of the second piece.

Thanks, yeah it certainly takes some time to put everything together, those above were highlights of 36 different afternoons & evenings combined to make the video.
Even though YouTube totally killed the quality of those the originals are 720 x 576 sized & when viewed on a 17" 4:3 aspect monitor the fullscreen quality is perfect.

Originally Posted By: CJI
Someone else may be able to recommend a good batch processing alternative.

I use Xn-View for batch converting, free & works well.
It has quite a few options available in the batch processing mode.

All mine are put together with free software using a Linux Ubuntu operating system.

For those vids above I used the camera set on 1600 x 1200 size, Xn-View (Windows version on WINE) to batch resize the images to 720 x 540.
Then Cinelerra to put them together as video at 720 x 576 (closest option that would work), left a hardly noticable black border top & bottom of the video.
Then a final run through WinFF (FFMPEG) to set the keyframes to every frame & drop the bitrate a bit for a smaller filesize ready for final editing/trimming out the bits I didn't want, like when the wind blows tripods over or cows slobber all over the cameras or knock them over while I'm away from them etc. etc..

The Canon Powershots create folders containing 2,000 pics each when continuous shooting.
Depending on how fast everything was happening in real-time, when editing I would select only certain numbers from each folder, like every pic with a filename ending in 0 & 5 for example & put them together as the video.
Sometimes if things happened fast & I wanted to slow it down I'd select every second pic, or multiples of 3 or 4 to suit the situation.

Recently changed my methods a bit & bought a couple of cheap ($160 each) JVC Picsio waterproof full HD video cameras that have settings for taking videos in timelapse mode, they can be set to take 1 frame every 0.5, 5 or 40 seconds. Timelapse mode takes the vids at 1280 x 720, 60 fps.
Sure is a lot easier than setting a small adjustable clamp for continuous shooting on shutter buttons on a standard camera & a lot less editing time at home also.
Editing is now done with AviDemux (free-Windows version available also) & WinFF which is also free & has Windows versions available.

The finished product now looks like this below & YouTube HD quality is a lot better though it still loses some quality.

#1101694 - 27/04/2012 22:06 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: shanu]
CJI Offline
Weather Freak

That's quite a remarkable sunset with its last burst of colour,especially considering the camera.

And don't be afraid to include the cows slobbering on your camera!
I know I've had some tripod fails, putting mine on the beach when the tide comes in, but foreground interest is always great in a time lapse.
Cattle, soldier crabs, wind blown stuff, etc, can make a great compliment to a storm.

#1101975 - 29/04/2012 19:13 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: CJI]
Ben Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Loganholme/Tweed Coast
Some incredible timelapses in this thread. Love the sunset one, and sixes variety including the massive gustfront, just wow.

Done my share of timelapses over the years!
December 9th 07 Supercell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBtTeib-eIU
Western Sydney LP Supercell Timelapse 29th March 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYgmcnvP2LQ
Blue Mountians Pulse storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vdX5_d-Sw
Goolma Gustfront formation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP7hDNuIoLk

#1101994 - 29/04/2012 22:00 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Ben]
core puncher Offline
Weatherzone Addict

What date was the Goolma one taken?

#1102017 - 30/04/2012 01:39 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: core puncher]
Ben Offline

5th of January I believe. I recall from the thread you were on the same storm! wink

#1102028 - 30/04/2012 08:00 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Ben]
Scud Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mcleans Ridges
Ben what direction are you facing in the Goolma timelapse?

#1102057 - 30/04/2012 15:07 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Kev in Bello]
Dave t Offline
Cloud Gazer

These are all so good :-)
I've been taking timelapse of weather for ages but just discovered this group.

I have a latest vid here to contribute to the collection...

#1102289 - 01/05/2012 23:40 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Dave t]
Ben Offline

James - that was facing roughly south in the timelapse smile

Nice timelapse David!

Edited by Ben (01/05/2012 23:46)

#1128693 - 25/09/2012 15:40 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Ben]
Noname Offline
Weatherzone Addict

My timelapse video of clouds and their shadows smile

#1129879 - 01/10/2012 17:50 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Noname]
Noname Offline
Weatherzone Addict

#1137547 - 04/11/2012 01:38 Re: Timelapse Weather Video [Re: Noname]
CJI Offline
Weather Freak

Hi all

Below is a compilation of time lapses taken between spring 2008 and spring 2012. Photographed in South East Queensland (and immediate surrounds), some of you may recognise a few of the storms, while others may not have had the chance.

At 25 frames per second with one frame taken every 15 seconds, it may seem a bit hyperactive to some people, my apologies if it's too quick.
Consider it a highlight reel.

Hopefully there is enough variety in it to keep it interesting.
I'm not totally happy with the colour and resolution of the encode, but it was the best I coud do.
Please note; it starts a little slow.

As the board doesn't seem to have vimeo UBB embed tags, just ckick on this image:

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
7 registered (Knot, EddyG, Homer, pagey, Wave Rider, Vinnie, 1 invisible), 292 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
JEFF.H., LaLa, Matt Pearce, Squirel2000, TJK1974, Traveller Steveo, Watcher@Tmba
Forum Stats
29343 Members
32 Forums
23662 Topics
1458729 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image