NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#978773 - 25/03/2011 11:23 Best time for Lord Howe trip
jgo Offline
Cloud Gazer

Anyone got any advice as to best time to sail from Sydney to Lord Howe and back?

I'm thinking late October

Jon

#979019 - 26/03/2011 00:16 Re: Best time for Lord Howe trip [Re: jgo]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Victoria
Will chat to a mate that lived over there for awhile and sailed home ! ?

#981393 - 02/04/2011 00:25 Re: Best time for Lord Howe trip [Re: S .O.]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Victoria
Jon ,

My friend sailed there in December and back in march or april .

He said December was worse ( Not sure why , Maybe too many headwinds ) , and back in was better but that may have been lucky .

I would say that Sept / October would be best time . How long of a stopover are you looking at , would you be able to pick your departure times at each point with a week or two up your sleeve .
Definitely then worst time I could think of would be from Nov all the way till July . With the possibilty of either a low spinning cyclone or ex-cold core low , and later into may /june the possibilty of an ECL making your trip hell .

If it was to be in that period ( march-june ) , I'd keep an eye on the upper atmospherics aswell as surface . As apparently ECL's will b picked up quicker as they come overland ! I know some Surf Guru's from up that way can call ECL's up to a week out by just looking at maps of Uppers , Sat pics and surface charts . ( Sans Models ) . But these days your'e reasonably safe with models ensembles providing decent forecasts . Regardless of these though , ECL's can be unpredictable .
Good luck .

Pete .

PS. Maybe check in , and PM some of the wiser users a week or two out from departure !

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image