Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#970972 - 07/03/2011 13:24 Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly?
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
I would love to hear from others that have suffered damage due to Yasi (and even other events like the recent floods) and have made claims to Various insurance companies and how they found their insurance company in handling and dealing with claims? (as we will be looking to switch from ours after all of this!)
We are with AAMI and have so far to date during this cyclone event found them to be absolutely PATHETIC! We have not even seen an assessor let alone heard from one! and it has been nearly 3 weeks since we initially contacted them! and we are not alone we know of atleast 4 others in our area that area insured with AAMI that again have seen hide nor hair of an assessor! and some of them rang AAMI straight away!
We have also since found out that AAMI is owned by SUNCORP!?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#971479 - 07/03/2011 23:11 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Horizon Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mermaid Beach GC
I will only insure with Suncorp myself for home insurance, no if's or buts for me.

Their handing of the Brissy floods is typical from what ive experienced first hand over the years from them, while the floods where happening went on national TV told everyone with policies they where covered no matter what. Other companies tried and are still trying to weasel out paying on clauses.

With all the weather around Aus this year and even the earthquake in Christchurch recently I can imagine resources are stretched thin on the ground ATM.

I agree though 3 weeks is far to long with no one coming out to at least have a look, even if its just a 3rd party from them.

#971503 - 07/03/2011 23:58 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Horizon]
Nikki-Lee Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Mackay, QLD
Hi mission, I think if you do a little digging you will find that Suncorp actually owns parts of (or used to own parts) of many insurance companies.

Suncorp seem to have made their home & contents policies significantly better over the last few years, I am led to believe that there were a few problems with them here in Mackay following our 2008 floods. My parents were insured with Vero at that time and did not seem to have any problems in regards to floods etc. I think they have since increased some policies to beyond ridiculous in pricing lately though.

I like RACQ, the claims section is always easy to deal with and sort out claims very quickly in my experience. I don't know if this is the case for other automobile clubs in other states as RACQ obviously only insure in Queensland.

My in-laws were insured with NRMA during the floods up here in '08 and also didnt seem to have problems.

I know this will sound completely broken record... but your best bet is to have a look at the PDS for each company (often available on the internet)as these are the rules that govern their claims and ring and ask for clarification if necessary, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked...

Hope that helps a little!

#971693 - 08/03/2011 10:15 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Nikki-Lee]
MareebaWeather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mareeba 17 S 145.2 E
Ask the following question:
What is your claim ratio and if the claim ratio is reached will you decline renewal or decline insurance payment.

---------------------------

Cyclone

Live Weather Data & Lightning Tracker from Mareeba

#971728 - 08/03/2011 11:04 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: MareebaWeather]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
We've always found AAMI and Suncorp the best insurers to work with from a tradie's perspective grin From a clients perspective, I think they are the better ones to deal with also. Some insurers will see you get 'bitsa' work done, you might have a water damaged cupboard and doors, even if you can't get an exact match on laminates some insurers will only allow for the replacement of the damaged items with a 'match to existing as much as possible' clause. We've done Suncorp and AAMI jobs where even minimal damage confined to a small area of a kitchen has seen the whole thing pretty much ripped out and replaced. We also did some work down in Newcastle (resulting from the ECL a few years back) for APIA which saw entire houses repaired before the neighbours had even seen an assessor!

I think it was about 12-18 months ago, insurers were looking to streamline and economise the whole claims process by contracting a third party to come in, assess, draw up a scope of works before handing it onto an insurance builder. I think the reason why insurers moved away from dealing with builders directly was because there were a few builders (and clients) that were taking advantage of the process. This new system has been a headache for EVERYONE, insurers, clients and builders! In fact, we have seen that actual repair times are consistently shorter than the assessment time! Having said all of that, because of the widespread impact of these past insurable events, insurers are using some builders to perform assessments for them, I've heard it said from one builder that they themselves have about 2 - 3 years worth of work!! They only have a relatively small piece of the pie too. Please bear in mind also that up until the Roma floods last year, there has been quite an extended lull period as far as claims are concerned and it is not only the insurers that are gearing up to deal with a huge load of claims, but the contractors are as well. It's a big wheel to start turning but once it gets going then I think the whole process will proceed fairly quickly.

At the end of the day, READ YOUR PDS!!!! Don't just assume, there is a well coined saying around the word assume (Google it! grin) leaves things open to misinterpretation which ultimately ends in frustration...

#971787 - 08/03/2011 13:00 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Horizon]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Horizon
I will only insure with Suncorp myself for home insurance, no if's or buts for me.

Their handing of the Brissy floods is typical from what ive experienced first hand over the years from them, while the floods where happening went on national TV told everyone with policies they where covered no matter what. Other companies tried and are still trying to weasel out paying on clauses.

With all the weather around Aus this year and even the earthquake in Christchurch recently I can imagine resources are stretched thin on the ground ATM.

I agree though 3 weeks is far to long with no one coming out to at least have a look, even if its just a 3rd party from them.

We have been hearing on the radio via adds that AAMI (suncorp and many of the others) have extra assessors on the ground to help you get on with your claim and to help you to get back on your feet quickly, why state tis fact if they have no intentions of actually going thru with it?
It is now comming up to 6 weeks since Yasi and nobody that i have spoken to from our area has heard anything from an assessor from AAMI.
I was having a look at the "fine print" on budget direct and it seems they will not insure house and contents of properties in Far north Qld the NT and Northern WA (the cyclone belt).

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#971788 - 08/03/2011 13:06 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Nikki-Lee]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Nikki-Lee
Hi mission, I think if you do a little digging you will find that Suncorp actually owns parts of (or used to own parts) of many insurance companies.

Suncorp seem to have made their home & contents policies significantly better over the last few years, I am led to believe that there were a few problems with them here in Mackay following our 2008 floods. My parents were insured with Vero at that time and did not seem to have any problems in regards to floods etc. I think they have since increased some policies to beyond ridiculous in pricing lately though.

I like RACQ, the claims section is always easy to deal with and sort out claims very quickly in my experience. I don't know if this is the case for other automobile clubs in other states as RACQ obviously only insure in Queensland.

My in-laws were insured with NRMA during the floods up here in '08 and also didnt seem to have problems.

I know this will sound completely broken record... but your best bet is to have a look at the PDS for each company (often available on the internet)as these are the rules that govern their claims and ring and ask for clarification if necessary, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked...

Hope that helps a little!

Isn't the old saying "most policies aren't worth the paper they are written on" Most have their own little escape clauses and from the ones that i have looked at there is not much difference between them!
Realistically there loyalty seems to lie more with their shareholders rather than their customers.
we were with the RACV a long time ago but when we moved to a larger block they stated that they would not/could not insure us any more as as it was over 5 acres, that's why we went to AAMI and have been with them ever since.

#971816 - 08/03/2011 13:43 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: MareebaWeather]
Green n Lumpy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cardwell QLD
Originally Posted By: Cyclone
Ask the following question:
What is your claim ratio and if the claim ratio is reached will you decline renewal or decline insurance payment.

---------------------------

Cyclone

Live Weather Data & Lightning Tracker from Mareeba

Cyclone, can you please explain that further.

#971818 - 08/03/2011 13:44 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Andy Double U]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Andy Double U
We've always found AAMI and Suncorp the best insurers to work with from a tradie's perspective grin From a clients perspective, I think they are the better ones to deal with also. Some insurers will see you get 'bitsa' work done, you might have a water damaged cupboard and doors, even if you can't get an exact match on laminates some insurers will only allow for the replacement of the damaged items with a 'match to existing as much as possible' clause. We've done Suncorp and AAMI jobs where even minimal damage confined to a small area of a kitchen has seen the whole thing pretty much ripped out and replaced. We also did some work down in Newcastle (resulting from the ECL a few years back) for APIA which saw entire houses repaired before the neighbours had even seen an assessor!

I think it was about 12-18 months ago, insurers were looking to streamline and economise the whole claims process by contracting a third party to come in, assess, draw up a scope of works before handing it onto an insurance builder. I think the reason why insurers moved away from dealing with builders directly was because there were a few builders (and clients) that were taking advantage of the process. This new system has been a headache for EVERYONE, insurers, clients and builders! In fact, we have seen that actual repair times are consistently shorter than the assessment time! Having said all of that, because of the widespread impact of these past insurable events, insurers are using some builders to perform assessments for them, I've heard it said from one builder that they themselves have about 2 - 3 years worth of work!! They only have a relatively small piece of the pie too. Please bear in mind also that up until the Roma floods last year, there has been quite an extended lull period as far as claims are concerned and it is not only the insurers that are gearing up to deal with a huge load of claims, but the contractors are as well. It's a big wheel to start turning but once it gets going then I think the whole process will proceed fairly quickly.

At the end of the day, READ YOUR PDS!!!! Don't just assume, there is a well coined saying around the word assume (Google it! grin) leaves things open to misinterpretation which ultimately ends in frustration...

One of the builders that we had come around to give us a quote is also with AAMI, and he is not impressed with them either!
He also stated that in his dealing with AAMI doing repair work for them "that they are rather tight and they will only replace what they have to and nothing more"
In one instance for example a woman managed to flood her house with her washing machine, they made her use her own towels and sheets to mop up the water first then mop and sweep out all the rest, she then had to remove/liftup all of the carpet and underlay HERSELF and then they brought around 2 big industrial fans to help dry out the wooden floor.
Once the floor had dried out a few days later they then relayed her 10-15 year OLD carpet back onto new underlay!
I know there has been widespread damage here but really 6 weeks to get an assessor into an area is a bit of a joke.

#971841 - 08/03/2011 14:32 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Originally Posted By: mission_shak

He also stated that in his dealing with AAMI doing repair work for them "that they are rather tight and they will only replace what they have to and nothing more"
In one instance for example a woman managed to flood her house with her washing machine, they made her use her own towels and sheets to mop up the water first then mop and sweep out all the rest, she then had to remove/liftup all of the carpet and underlay HERSELF and then they brought around 2 big industrial fans to help dry out the wooden floor.
Once the floor had dried out a few days later they then relayed her 10-15 year OLD carpet back onto new underlay!
I know there has been widespread damage here but really 6 weeks to get an assessor into an area is a bit of a joke.

I call BS.

Every single decent sized insurance job we've been on always includes demolition and disposal. Smaller jobs always come with the proviso that the subcontractor will take their own waste with them. Therefore if we are replacing just a sink cupboard, we break the old one down and take it with us.

I would suggest that if she was instructed to remove the internal linings it may have been because labour was in short supply and if the client wanted to remain at her house than the only solution in the short term was for her to remove it. If a house is uninhabitable then the insurer will also cough up the bill to see the residents temporarily rehomed until such a time the house is liveable once again.

One of the builders that we had come around to give us a quote is also with AAMI, and he is not impressed with them either!

READ THE PDS!!! What can also have an impact on this is the number of claims that have been coming through. We have noticed that insurers right across the board are tightening things up in this regard. Insurers are not legally bound to perform any extra work!! However, in many instances, we have found subsequent unseen damage after pulling out cabinetry and have always notified the principal contractor, who usually makes a quick phone call to the insurer and the extra work is given the green light.

Every single time we have heard of insurance gripes it is because of a lack of understanding or a break down in communication. Right now, I think it is a tad unreasonable to expect insurers to be able to inspect and draw up a scope of works in a short time frame. For you guys up there it is going to be a bit different to the turnaround time of Larry because of all the damage down here, out west and right up the east coast of Queensland.

Seems to me this thread has been setup purely to gripe about insurers...

#971866 - 08/03/2011 15:53 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Andy Double U]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Andy Double U

I call BS.

Every single decent sized insurance job we've been on always includes demolition and disposal. Smaller jobs always come with the proviso that the subcontractor will take their own waste with them. Therefore if we are replacing just a sink cupboard, we break the old one down and take it with us.

I would suggest that if she was instructed to remove the internal linings it may have been because labour was in short supply and if the client wanted to remain at her house than the only solution in the short term was for her to remove it. If a house is uninhabitable then the insurer will also cough up the bill to see the residents temporarily rehomed until such a time the house is liveable once again.

READ THE PDS!!! What can also have an impact on this is the number of claims that have been coming through. We have noticed that insurers right across the board are tightening things up in this regard. Insurers are not legally bound to perform any extra work!! However, in many instances, we have found subsequent unseen damage after pulling out cabinetry and have always notified the principal contractor, who usually makes a quick phone call to the insurer and the extra work is given the green light.

Every single time we have heard of insurance gripes it is because of a lack of understanding or a break down in communication. Right now, I think it is a tad unreasonable to expect insurers to be able to inspect and draw up a scope of works in a short time frame. For you guys up there it is going to be a bit different to the turnaround time of Larry because of all the damage down here, out west and right up the east coast of Queensland.

Seems to me this thread has been setup purely to gripe about insurers...
As far as i am aware there was no shortage of labour (as it was a few years ago) and the carpet water damage was restricted to a hallway and 2 bedrooms.

You can always read the PDS but at the end of the day it is actually talking to others and fining out what dealings they have had with insurance companies and how they actually handle claims, what may look good on paper might not necessarily be good in reality.
It may sound like a gripe but at the end of the day AAMI seem to be severely lacking as we have spoken to others also that have dealings with CGU and even Comminsure and they have stated that they had assessors at their property within days of making the initial call and that they have bent over backwards to help them out.
Is it unreasonable to expect to have an assessor come out when they say that they will come out? they stated that they would be out at the end of the week, it is now 4 weeks later and still no assessor.

#971973 - 08/03/2011 18:50 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Nikki-Lee Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Mackay, QLD
we were with the RACV a long time ago but when we moved to a larger block they stated that they would not/could not insure us any more as as it was over 5 acres, that's why we went to AAMI and have been with them ever since. [/quote]

As I did mention, RACQ and RACV are too different companies, and while sounding the same they actually have no affiliation when it comes to home/contents policies.

With the 5 acre thing, I am led to believe that this is in regards to legal liability. More than a certain amount of property increases the chances that you will at some point need to make a legal liability claim. Again this may not be the case for everyone, however, is it something that they need to take into consideration when they write a policy as 'whats good for one has to be good for everyone'.

I know some companies have since relaxed this rule, so again it may be worth re-reading some PDS's. What it says in the book is what you are covered for, NO EXCEPTIONS! As somebody else has mentioned alot of people just assume what they are and aren't covered for and this is where problems start.

As for not seeing an assessor yet, have you tried contacting them again? It may just simply have been overlooked, if others with different companies have already seen assessors you cannot assume this is because the other company is better, perhaps that particular company just simply didnt have as many claims. The grass will always look greener from the other side.....

#972382 - 09/03/2011 16:32 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Nikki-Lee]
Arnoldnut Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Arnold, NthWest Vic
Charlton Shire Victoria had a meeting of residents earlier in the week for those who had issues with insurance payments.
The Ombudsmen, Insurance companies and banks and solicitors all there giving advise.
30 households haven't yet received approved payouts from last Septs floods and the trades are refusing to start on the recent damage when they haven't been payed for the labour and materials from the last floods in september.
Ombudsman was busy.

Charlton Hospital and surgical unit has been condemned by the health department out of hand as it was full of sewage ......but the insurance company wants to clean and reuse the building .....watch parliament for this one.

was an interesting meeting ...my wife works/did work for the hospital/health dept.

Edited by Arnoldnut (09/03/2011 16:36)

#972419 - 09/03/2011 17:31 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Arnoldnut]
RWM's Daughter Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Lakes, Brisbane QLD
We are insured with Suncorp. A couple of years ago we had to make 3 insurance claims in one year. The first was due to a burst water pipe in the bathroom vanity which literally flooded the entire inside of the house (approx 50k claim), the second was after I managed to hit a wild boar in the car doing 100kms an hour on the way home one night (no it wasn't on purpose!), and the third was when my darling 3yr old son smashed the back door to pieces...

On all three occasions they were excellent to deal with and we had no problems with them. I know we pay more to be insured with them (I've seen some considerably cheaper), however when it comes to making a claim we have never had a problem and they always pay up without a fuss - unlike some others that I have heard about...

Edited by RWM's Daughter (09/03/2011 17:32)

Todays forecast - "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"...

#972442 - 09/03/2011 18:18 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: RWM's Daughter]
Curiouser Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane Qld
From my experience (a few years out of date, I must admit!) the insurance companies (their Qld counterparts, I'll add) performed something like this:

Best of the best

1. Suncorp PROs: No questions asked, new for old replacement CONs: Insurance premiums.

2. RACQ PROs: Like Suncorp but will ask more questions, thus helping to keep premuims lower. Good benefits & discounts. CONs: will ask more questions than Suncorp.

2. Allianz (equal 2nd with RACQ) PROs: easy to deal with, simple claims process (this is the only one other than Suncorp I've seen achieve this), good value CONs: will ask more questions than Suncorp.

Middle range, probably not quite 'cowboys' but pushing their luck:

Vero, QBE, CGU, NRMA PROs: Even cheaper premiums CONs: Sometimes inflexible & impersonal, often convoluted claims processes which seem to only be designed to make you give up in frustration.

Pretty much everyone else:

PROs: Cheapest of all insurance premiums CONs: the best of the worst will simply drag out the process, bitching and moaning about everthing along the way while the worst of the worst will seem to disappear when you make a claim. Someone once said to me (and I found it to be true) that "if all they're promoting in their advertising is their pricing, that's all they're offering" and this seems to be true of the 'budget' companies when it comes time to claim.

I think it depends what is important to you personally as well. For instance, AAMI are really cheap and great if you don't mind lower quality workmanship or products. Comes back to that old saying, "you get what you pay for"!

Edited by Curiouser (09/03/2011 18:20)
Edit Reason: Umm, I made a mistake :)

#972562 - 09/03/2011 21:52 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Curiouser]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The way it is going nobody in North Qld will be able to obtain insurance! (or if they do no one will be able to afford it!) this is just a sample of a few insurance companies that i have contacted to obtain Quotes for insurance.

Suncorp:
The following cover restrictions apply to your postcode:
Due to current weather conditions in your area we are unable to offer cover.

Alianz:
We are unable to offer you insurance online :
due to a change in our underwriting guidelines, Allianz is no longer able to provide home insurance in this area. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.
We suggest you contact the Financial Ombudsman Service Limited (FOS) who may be able to assist you with finding appropriate insurance cover. Their telephone number is 1300 78 08 08.

Thank you for using our online quote facility.

QBE insurance
declined due to high cyclone risk.

#972774 - 10/03/2011 15:06 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
TC Rabbitoh 20 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Noosa Heads
Mission_shak, the above advices are called "embargoes".

As an Insurance Broker, technically speaking Suncorp are the only one of the three you mention telling what I would consider to be the absolute truth.

As for Allianz, well, that is the case but the statement offers little solace for the future.

And as for QBE, the less said the better about them I'm afraid.

If I were to rate the three on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is atrocious and 10 is excellent, my scores would be 9, 7 and 1 respectively.

#972784 - 10/03/2011 15:35 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: TC Rabbitoh 20]
raincheck Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mount Sheridan, Qld
I am handling a claim for my mother-in-law who was flooded in Ipswich and - so far - I cannot fault APIA. It's still early days, but they have gone out of their way to help and have said they will pay on everything. It's a slow process, but at least it is happening.
btw, APIA is also owned by Suncorp.

Edited by raincheck (10/03/2011 15:37)

#978181 - 23/03/2011 16:29 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: raincheck]
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
Hope this is okay to post here, just trying to save starting another thread...

I was on hold for 17 minutes at GIO this arvo re a car insurance issue. I didn't want to take it out on phone staff, I think that is poor form so I just politely told the rep that it took an awful long time to answer my call. This guy is just a worker, its not his fault that the waiting times are so long, which is what I said to him.

He immediately relaxed and was most apologetic about waiting times and very helpful on the phone and gave me a further discount of around $70 because I have been with them for so long. He was a super helpful and polite fella that got my issue sorted easily, even if I had to wait 17 minutes.

I actually requested to speak to his supervisor to let her know how good 'Z' was. I also told her I was a little annoyed at waiting for 17 minutes and could they look at putting more staff on or something. wink

I now have to ring again (forgot to ask to be transferred to pay house insurance) and will go for a discount there, if possible too...

My motto is to be assertive about your complaints/issues for sure but remember the person on the other end of the phone is a worker, not an executive. They are just trying to make ends meet like me. Be kind but assert yourself and don't take any nonsense. It almost always works for me. I got a large amount off my house insurance last year - after a gentle but assertive approach, asking why they were charging me so much.

BTW, gentle to me doesn't mean soft. I'll use strong words if I have to but rarely start that way.

#981448 - 02/04/2011 12:03 Re: Insurance companies- the good, the bad and the ugly? [Re: Blizzard]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
We had a smallish issue with our insurer. A bit of fault on both sides actually as they didn't tell us that the damaged carport and shed was covered under Home insurance and the water damaged to the contents of the shed and one room of the house was under Contents Insurance so two different claim numbers had to be used. Sent them a mild nastyogram after not hearing anything from them in 5 weeks and a day and a half later they rang back and within 15 minutes had all claims approved, bank details for deposit of funds passed to them and all claims accepted and paid over the phone.

So CGU gets a big tick in the box from me. Just under $20K in claims - all done with two emails and a phone call.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Warmfront, betsuin), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
-Deano-, volkl, Volkl_1
Forum Stats
29610 Members
32 Forums
23932 Topics
1494344 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image