Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#98949 - 11/12/2002 13:54 AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
Here's a pic of Mount Boyce's AWS that I said I'd post here, a while back. Its a couple of clicks to the north of Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. I would have thought that the smallish screen and its closeness to the unpainted metal housing on the left would warm things up a bit in there but maybe I am wrong. You can see how it drops off to the west of the site, into the Kanimbla Valley, a gradual drop of around 400 metres. Not many good frosts observed at the AWS, I'd say.

#98950 - 11/12/2002 14:04 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

Loc: Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, NSW...
:wave:

#98951 - 11/12/2002 14:15 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Blizzard Offline

No worries Cloudy, you can see part of the high country south of Oberon in the background.

#98952 - 11/12/2002 14:24 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Cloudmaster_dup1 Offline
Weather Nerd

Loc: Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, NSW...
Oh ok, so that's Oberon!! My God it's might dry up their (according to the photo), Did you get much rainfall yesterday up in that region of the ranges?? smile

Cloudmaster :wave:

#98953 - 11/12/2002 14:27 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Blizzard Offline

Yep, good rain: I usually post here on the latest observations etc.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pearcewalker/localobs.htm

#98954 - 11/12/2002 14:30 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Rainlover Offline

Can we keep this thread as a place where everyone can post photos of the AWS's around Oz, I would love to know what the Mt Baw Baw AWS looks like. wink

I have seen the Melbourne one many times, driving up around Exhibition and Spring streets. :p :p :p

Rainlover laugh

#98955 - 15/12/2002 00:04 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Moss Offline
Weather Freak

Well I have seen the Hamilton AWS a fair bit out at the airport, so if it goes off one day you will know I have probbly lost control of the plane and ran it down. :rolleyes:

#98956 - 15/12/2002 05:19 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
gustfront Offline
Thundergod

Loc: North Balgowlah, Sydney, 33.79...
I've got a few AWS photos lying around. Some will take a little searching. This one is Cape Leeuwin. A windy place. The AWS is quite close to the water as you can see, probably only about 30 or 40 metres up a grassy slope. This picture is looking SW to SSW. The wind was blowing about 25 knots from the NNE on this morning so the action on the water probably doesn't look as strong as you'd expect. A top spot. Love to see it in the southwesterly gale.

#98957 - 15/12/2002 16:06 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Millthorpe, 970m, Central W NS...
I thought I was the only nut that went about photographing weather stations. I find it very useful, though, to know what a site looks like. For example, Orbost's manual site used to be surrounded by carpark, while some years ago, when there was a screen at Braidwood Post Office, they painted it pink to match the new PO colour scheme. On a more serious note, though, you can get some idea of local micro-topographical impacts on the readings you're looking at -- for example, the Orange AWS is in a slight gully, while the manual station, only about 100m away, is on a slight ridge and sheltered to the E and SE by a row of trees, and this difference often shows up on cool, clear nights.

Good idea to keep this thread to post more to -- I'll scan some of mine and post when I can, though a lot of them are manual stations. There are already a lot of site photos on the Bureau site -- if you go here , you'll find pix of all the Reference Climate Station sites around Oz.

Laurier

#98958 - 15/12/2002 17:00 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As an example of a less-than-ideal exposure, where it's useful to have a picture of the station, here's the Lameroo SA Post Office site in December 1989. The building behind the screen is the then new exchange. The PO building is on the right, behind the clothes line. When the screen was installed, it obviously was at the end of the back yard, but events overtook it.

This somewhat more substantial structure is the AWS on Frederick Reef, off the Qld coast (from a BoM brochure and taken in the early 1990s).

#98959 - 15/12/2002 19:26 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Blizzard Offline

Even my wife said it would make for a quirky book - imagine how many copies you'd sell, 10? - a ready photo reference to Australia's AWS's. Well, its been done with toilets and letter boxes.

If we can try and keep the pics at a reasonable size, it will help those of us with smaller screens etc wink

BTW, where's the Mudgee site? And is the Oberon observer site in a position to be photographed?

PS: Great pics gusty and Laurier. It's funny, I was just chatting to a lovely old fella in Blackheath (85 year old BOM retiree) about his weather obs work in Mawson and Davis, Macquarie Is today - he has some super pics from the 1950's but its hard to get him to chat much about it these days and I respect that. Might try and scrounge a few pics off him after Chrissy.

#98960 - 15/12/2002 20:30 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Bliz, Mudgee is at the airport which is north or NE from town as I recall. Oberon isn't easy to see -- it's on a private property south of town, where the blue blob is on the map below. If you go to the T-intersection and look up to the left, you'll see it near the obvious house on the western side of the ridge.

#98961 - 15/12/2002 20:55 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Blizzard Offline

Taa :cheers:

#98962 - 15/12/2002 21:45 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
crosswind Offline

OK, so we should get the BoM to issue a digital camera to their technicians that go aroumd installing and servicing the AWS's, so that they could put a pic link on the AWS observation pages.

#98963 - 15/12/2002 21:46 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Loc: Reynella, S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Blizzard:
Even my wife said it would make for a quirky book - imagine how many copies you'd sell, 10? - a ready photo reference to Australia's AWS's. Well, its been done with toilets and letter boxes.
thats ok bliz, i visited a personal website today where this guy has a database of photos of, get this.......streetlights, old and new.
he says he's wierd, i think its cool,
i give him 10 points for originality, and a lot more interesting than question time in parliment. :p laugh

he also has a database of photos of .... kilometer sighns for various towns around aus.
not the great big ones with names on them, the little ones every 5k, now thats wierd.

i'll take a pic of naracoorte aws in the next few days and post it when i get the film developed.

TH laugh

#98964 - 15/12/2002 21:55 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Blair Trewin Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
As it happens we're currently working on a project to make our station 'metadata' (both current and historic) more accessible - it's stalled a bit in recent times, partly because some of the people involved (like yours truly frown ) have been sidetracked by the drought or other things, but should happen eventually.

The inspectors already use digital cameras extensively - they're a routine part of inspection reports. These go onto our stations database (which in its present form is only for internal use) - as do a lot of other comments/action items, which is why I can tell you what's going on when the Black Stump AWS has gone on the blink.

I have an extensive 'hall of shame' that I use in talks and the like. Lameroo is in it, but I've seen far worse, my personal favourite being the site where the screen and rain gauge are about 3m apart and the inspection photo shows a 4WD parked neatly between them.

#98965 - 16/12/2002 06:33 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
gustfront Offline
Thundergod

Loc: North Balgowlah, Sydney, 33.79...
I'd like to see photos of other AWS sites. The closest to my place is observatory hill, almost everybody in Sydney will have been past it but I grab a happy snap next time I go past anyhow. smile

#98966 - 16/12/2002 18:23 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Foehn Correspondent Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bardon 4065
Here is the Brisbane AWS. Rather boring compared to some of the exotic locations posted so far. The AWS is located in a park off Baines Street Kangaroo Pt. If anyone knows the Pineapple Hotel in Brisbane it is behind it. You can see the CBD in the background.

Sparrow

#98967 - 17/12/2002 13:43 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Metar Offline

Loc: Melbourne

AWS ion Noarlunga in SA laugh very simple... nice and spaced for the screen so there is no reflected heat from the Tower laugh

#98968 - 17/12/2002 13:46 Re: AWS Sites in Australia - photos and descript.
Metar Offline

Loc: Melbourne

And now to something completely different...

This is a little off topic but its the Ceduna Bureau Office with the rather ominous radar located out front. Looks fairly old school (but hey it sometimes works laugh )

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Who's Online
18 registered (J Pabo, Nick Sykes, Pooraka, Adaminaby Angler, Squeako_88, warrie, Mcbobbings, StormCapture, Eigerwand, sebbie78, Steve O, Northwesterly, ThunderBob, kizz, Ticktock, 3 invisible), 346 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
AndrewM, bull, Cisapride, GDL, slavegirl23
Forum Stats
29775 Members
32 Forums
24063 Topics
1512201 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image