Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#994116 - 08/06/2011 19:02 Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia?
SGB Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Canberra
Yesterday I made a tongue in cheek comment about moving to Dinner Plain, VIC when I retire as at least they get regular winter snowfalls, (unlike Canberra where stars must align). But this got me thinking, what would be the best towns in Australia of a decent size that receive regular snowfalls each winter? The towns would have to be big enough so that you don't have to travel 50km just to fill up on petrol or to see a doctor etc... And by regular snowfall I mean it would have to snow at least around 10 times each year.

Jindabyne comes to mind, but I think they'd be hard pressed to receive even 5 snowfalls per year and when they do I'm not convinced it would last very long. Thredbo Village is another obvious one but it's not very big and you still have to travel all the way to Jindabyne to run some of your errands etc... Cooma is another largish town but too dry for anything substantial.

Maybe somewhere in Tassie? I have no doubt it snows a lot on the Central Plateau though it'd probably be just as isolated as some of these NSW/VIC towns.

Any suggestions are welcome. Although retirement is still about 30 years away it's nice to think about such things. grin

#994119 - 08/06/2011 19:29 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: SGB]
Drew Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mandurama or Perthville, Centr...
Great idea for a thread as I've often thought about this myself (although now we have found our dream property - I'm retiring here!)

Dinner Plain would be Number One "town" for snowfall, although it as more like a resort village than a town and it is quite some distance from a major centre. Prices listed on realestate.com.au are quite reasonable, might be a good time to invest!

Oberon would be hard to beat, maybe not 10 snowfalls per year, but I reckon it would be one of the highest snowfall towns in Australia apart from the Alpine Resorts. Oberon is a nice sized town with most amenities, and Bathurst is less than an hour away.

I don't think Thredbo qualifies as it really is a resort village and I'd imagine any real estate offered there would catch a pretty penny.

Interesting topic.

Andrew.

Formerly of "Mountainview", BELL, NSW.

#994126 - 08/06/2011 19:46 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Drew]
Dr Philosophy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Campbelltown, NSW
Originally Posted By: Drew

Oberon would be hard to beat, maybe not 10 snowfalls per year, but I reckon it would be one of the highest snowfall towns in Australia apart from the Alpine Resorts. Oberon is a nice sized town with most amenities, and Bathurst is less than an hour away.

Also, houses in Oberon are reasonably priced compared to Sydney, Blue Mountains & Canberra.

Whilst not feasible for every-day commute, it is also reasonably close to Sydney & Canberra, in which both cities are about 2.5 to 3 hours drive away. smile

#994134 - 08/06/2011 19:59 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Dr Philosophy]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: South West Rocks, NSW
10 regular snowfalls every Winter, pretty much cancels out all non-alpine regions, except for perhaps the Tasmanian highlands. But the Vic Alps, Snowies, and Tassie Highlands, are all fairly isolated from most services and shopping.
Even 5 regular snowfalls every winter still cancels out many places. Sure some years, locations like Oberon and Guyra would see 5 snowfalls (or more), but they can certainly see less than five in other years.
Though even in those towns, there are limited services/shopping, and you'd probably find yourself travelling to Bathurst/Armidale maybe twice a week, as both have pretty much anything you'd need.

#994138 - 08/06/2011 20:18 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Seabreeze]
Drew Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mandurama or Perthville, Centr...
Good points Freeze.

I can't figure why one would need Bathurst twice a week unless one has particular special needs, from what I know, Oberon has just about everything you'd need.

My folks live 15 kilometres out of Canowindra which is similar and they only need Cowra every so often.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Formerly of "Mountainview", BELL, NSW.

#994142 - 08/06/2011 20:36 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Drew]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Definately once a week for shopping and those little tid bits, and you'd get those occasional weeks where another visit would be necessary, whether it be for social, leisurely or health reasons. smile

#994158 - 08/06/2011 21:18 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Seabreeze]
BOM99 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
To set the criteria to have the most snow in a town with all services is a difficult thing to achieve in a tropical sun-burnt country. If you asked for a town that has some of the best snow within a short distance it would be an easier ask. Dinner plain is no more a town than is Falls Creek, Perisher and all the other resorts. The only difference being freehold land instead of lease, in reality that makes no difference since you can still live in either just the same. With the bigger resorts like Thredbo its a fine line if you think the services are adequate. Until Marrysville was destroyed that was one of my number one choices since its such a short easy drive to the snow on a good road, I know of no other town closer to real snow, that is (was) also a nice town. If you lower your criteria for a town I would say Thredbo, if you raise your distance for driving to snow I would say Jindabyne. If you want a better bigger town with snow in it then I do not think you will find one that will satisfy. Not much point having marginal snow in town and yet being too far from real snow, by which I mean a winter snowpack that stays the winter.

#994160 - 08/06/2011 21:26 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Seabreeze]
SGB Offline
Weather Freak

Thanks guys. That puts Oberon on the top of my list so far. smile

Was thinking also Crackenback would be an option as they are about 1050m asl (100m higher than Jindabyne) and not too far from shopping etc...

#994164 - 08/06/2011 21:42 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: SGB]
SGB Offline
Weather Freak

Oh and Colinsvale, TAS? Not too far from Hobart and about 350m asl (which I assume is high enough for snow in Tassie??)

Yeah, good points there snowmi. I guess I am asking a bit much of our warm ol' Australia. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I was thinking someone out there might just know of a 'snow-eutopia' that I'd never heard about before.

#994185 - 09/06/2011 06:17 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: SGB]
Blizzard Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blue Mountains
I think Laurier started a thread like this in General Weather some years ago with lots of details in it.

Oberon would be a pretty good bet, due to its proximity to higher areas. Still, the locals will tell you that they get a lot less snow in town on average, over the last decade or two.

Edited by Blizzard (09/06/2011 06:17)

#994212 - 09/06/2011 09:21 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Blizzard]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Collinsvale is sort of an outer village/suburb of Hobart - separated by a ridge line coming off Mt Wellington. It definitely sees snow and there are areas in its immedite surrounds which are much much higher - some private blocks around 900 metres and they get get very real snow.

Pity Cabramurra is a privately owned town (snowy hydro) it would be a great place to live with more shopping facilities etc.

Oberon hard to beat - it has 2 supermarkets, real butchers, the cost of shopping in Bathurst might be slightly cheaper (bigger range) but eroded by fuel. However for many people it's a day out. Oberon to Bx approx 35 or 40 min.

#994380 - 09/06/2011 19:37 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: DaveM]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
Bright would be my choice,not far from Falls creek,Mt hotham and Mt buffalo.Has all the facilities one could want and Wangaratta being 70kms away or 30 mins drive on a nice cruisey road.And the added plus of having magnificent scenery.

#994382 - 09/06/2011 19:46 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: petethemoskeet]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Originally Posted By: petethemoskeet
and Wangaratta being 70kms away or 30 mins drive on a nice cruisey road.

Going a nice cruisy 140km/h on your way there. poke wink

#994392 - 09/06/2011 20:49 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Seabreeze]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Sydney
This topic has been raised before; someone postulated about making a city out of Cabramurra or Kiandra. You'd get snow in an urban setting then, but you'd also take away some of the natural beauty of the area. I say leave the skifields as they are, and give everyone a chance to live in Winnipeg for a year smile.

I think most of us froth over snow the way Britons froth over sunshine and warmth- because we don't get enough it never loses the novelty element. I wouldn't like to be snowbound the whole year.

#994394 - 09/06/2011 21:00 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: petethemoskeet]
Dr Philosophy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Campbelltown, NSW
Originally Posted By: petethemoskeet
Bright would be my choice,not far from Falls creek,Mt hotham and Mt buffalo.Has all the facilities one could want and Wangaratta being 70kms away or 30 mins drive on a nice cruisey road.And the added plus of having magnificent scenery.

I've looked at Bright through Google Street View the other day, and it looks like a beautiful town, in which it looks very European. Looking at its median house price through Home Price Guide, the median house price in Bright is $281,000, which means the town is still reasonably affordable to buy a house there. wink

#994402 - 09/06/2011 21:22 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Dr Philosophy]
Duideka Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Southern Suburbs, Perth.
Barely anyone lives there but I'd nominate Miena / Liawenee in central Tasmania, or in general anywhere around the Great Lake - I've heard it gets cold enough there that you can actually ice fish like eskimos on the lake shocked

Take a look at these:
Miena http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_096046.shtml
Liawenee http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_096065.shtml

The Miena AWS does not hold all time minima and maxima but it's still good info. Apparently even the hottest month averages 4c/15c

Looking at the Liawenee data (hit all data) it has seen well below zero temps in all months, and 210 or more days seem cold enough to record frost.. Apparently like 130 days have rainfall >1mm, mixed with the temps that's a good mixture for snow.

Forecast:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/tas/central/liawenee

No snow days this week but I check it out every now and then and it's not rare to see Snow forecast once or twice a month in February poke

Sift through this years climate records if you want:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201101/html/IDCJDW7027.201101.shtml

As early as March this year it had 8 below zero days!

You'd have to do all your shopping at Launceston which is about a hour and a half away, and it'd probably be pretty lonely - but looks like a nice place to be if freezing your nuts off is the top of your agenda - cheap property also.

Edited by Duideka (09/06/2011 21:24)

#994417 - 09/06/2011 22:18 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Duideka]
SGB Offline
Weather Freak

Great info there Duldeka! I remember looking at the Central Plateau of Tassie a little while back and thought how awesome it'd be to live in such a place where snow is a distinct possibility in every month including the summer time.

snow4sydney, yes I'm also guilty of postulating about Cabramurra as a city to live in... snow in an urban setting would be a dream come true for me. I've even gone as far as to wonder how it would be if Australia was say 1000km further south than it is now. grin Snow in the suburbs would probably be quite prevalent then.

#994423 - 09/06/2011 22:29 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: SGB]
aslaws Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Narrow Neck Rd, Katoomba 1020m...
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Orange
A large country town with almost everything you would ever need
If fulfills the criteria in the original post by SGB except the 10 snowfalls per year
But as a large population centre with the urban snowfall people are fantasising about there can be no better large town in Australia
I'm not sure Oberon is any snowier than Orange or the slightly higher area close to Orange at the base of Mt Canobolas?

#994427 - 09/06/2011 23:09 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: aslaws]
Homer Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dural
Originally Posted By: aslaws
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Orange
A large country town with almost everything you would ever need
If fulfills the criteria in the original post by SGB except the 10 snowfalls per year
But as a large population centre with the urban snowfall people are fantasising about there can be no better large town in Australia
I'm not sure Oberon is any snowier than Orange or the slightly higher area close to Orange at the base of Mt Canobolas?

Great point actually.
Orange also has a fantastic food, wine and art culture. It's quite uppity actually, but that's what makes it great.

I was going to suggest Liaweene, but I've never been there, so don't know how big it is as a town.
Jindabyne, is a great suggestion if you're looking for somewhere smaller. Otherwise, it's Orange for mine.

Homer

Edited by Homer (09/06/2011 23:13)

#994455 - 10/06/2011 07:02 Re: Biggest & Best Snow Towns in Australia? [Re: Homer]
BOM99 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
I would have mentioned Orange if it was not for 2 things.

1. Something funny happened with the climate in the last 15 years that seems to have diminished strength of cold fronts at Orange. Back in the 80's early 90's, nearly all cold fronts always came from Adelaide and you could always be sure of snow at Orange (and here) within 24 hours of Adelaide's weather. For some unknown reason this is not happening any more, lets see if this winter is different. Even earlier years many people will tell you just how common snow was in Orange in the past, not any more, without that general east/west tracking of cold fronts it does not work for Orange. Recent years all snow has come up from the south or in cold pools from the south and Orange very often misses out now.
2. The fact that they now close a gate that was not there before to Mount Canobolas. As recently as the early 90's you would have 40 cars and 100+ people on the summit having a ball in foot deep snow, now due to the stupid authorities this is not allowed.

These reasons for me have closed the idea of ever living in Orange where as it would have been a top choice 20 years ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
3 registered (Mad Elf #1.5, bradcq, 1 invisible), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew Miskelly, deanoau, ShaneEEEE, SteveB93, x-1=Darumbul
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23613 Topics
1452011 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image