2019 USA Severe Weather Season

Posted by: Thunderstruck

2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 07/04/2019 08:10

Time to get this one rolling again! Very keen to get back into the virtual world this year and pick out some more targets! Plenty of aussies heading over again so no doubt many more great pics shall flood through here.

The season as a whole has started well in terms of dynamics, very cold up top with a massive snow melt to occur plus floods galore near the E/NE part of NE and IA/MO. But strong closed lows so far, once the moisture comes in can see above average rainfall and more frequent large MCS like events charging the plains. Should be a good year! Keep safe all, targets to follow as see fit.

TS cool
Posted by: Orebound

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 07/04/2019 08:54

Good work Rowland, been meaning to get this thread up and running.

Yes we are heading back for yet another season in a couple weeks time, will be there until the end of June this year so plenty of miles ahead of us no doubt. We'll certainly try and report back from time to time when things get interesting.

Certainly starting to look like potential is there for a vintage plains season this year with a much more progressive synoptic pattern already in place.

Here's to a big season ahead!
Posted by: ozthunder

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 13/04/2019 19:53

Virtual Target for Saturday 13/4/2019 USA ( Sunday morning here)

Potential nasty situation in Dixie Alley tomorrow (Sunday our time), potential for some long lived strong tornadoes. This area is deadly as cloud bases are often so low residents cannot clearly determine tornadoes until they are practically on top of them. Combine that with quite thick tree coverage and winding roads in parts and its a deadly combo.

Surface low over East Texas will have a LLJ (Low Level Jet) sucking in 70F plus dew points straight off the Gulf and into Texas/Louisiana border area.

The upper 500mb low is situation further NW (you need that offset between surface low and upper to have strong jets) The 500mb winds are plain scary ! 90 knot by 21Z.

My virtual target will be Alexandria, Louisana. Ideally I would like to be a little further north, but there are large forest areas. Alexandria gives me road options.

Be prepared however to drive as close to top speed limits as possible, this system will not hang around, you may get only one shot, or two and by dark action could be a lot further east.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 14/04/2019 02:55

Really bad day coming up over LA chiefly, long-tracked and violent tornadoes a good chance. Super low LCL's absolute groundscrapers, could be multiple wedges and nasty multi-vortex tornadoes in this setup, trees, terrain as Michael mentions. Tough chasing with that plus the speed of it all. Massive high end dynamics, big shear, big moisture. It almost warrants a high risk, but maybe not quite.

Target a little more north purely to allow for some wiggle room on locking onto a tornadic supercell despite initiation likely quite a bit more SW, be very hard catching these from the S/SE side. I-20 corridor seems the safer bet, thinking atm Monroe to Rayville LA, good road options in all directions. Main target is the more discrete modes in the pre-frontal trough area, but main front will give another go later but prob more linear by then and harder to see. Warm front boundary and just south seems good bet as it reaches N half of LA.

TS cool
Posted by: ozone doug

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 15/04/2019 08:37

Sad news out of the US. 8 people killed in tornadoes on Sunday there.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 15/04/2019 10:01

I don't think there was any right or wrong targeting for the 13/4, pretty much all areas from East Texas to Mississippi saw severe storms and tornadoes. In hindsight I would have targeted East Texas as that was the last area where storms appeared discreet, by the time they rolled in Louisiana it was a blind mess - pretty much what myself and Ore Bund described

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 18/04/2019 02:02

Yea was tough going picking a target, big area, no real capping and very low lcl's/big forcing so despite amazing shear and potential slop and mess can get in the way and to a degree it did but still some strong tornadoes all the same

Today a tricky one but thinking somewhere off the dryline in NE TX. Will go for Como TX hopefully they are fairly discrete down there.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 18/04/2019 09:37

Models trended west/nw with each run after bed with lagging cold air so reviewed target be directly north of the DFW metroplex. Supercells starting to form now on the dryline.

Earlier the lesser capped warm front near Canadian/Higgins TX managed to put down an a clean elephant trunk...models held it linear but discrete modes are still ongoing.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 18/04/2019 11:34

Originally Posted By: ozthunder
I don't think there was any right or wrong targeting for the 13/4, pretty much all areas from East Texas to Mississippi saw severe storms and tornadoes. In hindsight I would have targeted East Texas as that was the last area where storms appeared discreet, by the time they rolled in Louisiana it was a blind mess - pretty much what myself and Ore Bund described

Sorry , last sentence what Thunderstruck described

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 28/04/2019 11:53

First day of chasing for us today after taking our time getting over to the plains from LA.

Marginal type day today that probably overachieved given only modest dynamics and minimal surface moisture to play with but in any case we targeted the northern extent of the risk area in the Texas panhandle and were certainly not disappointed with a lovely little LP supercell wrapping up for us close to Vega, TX.

Texas Panhandle LP Supercell
by Orebound Images, on Flickr

Vega, TX LP Supercell

Will probably head south tomorrow, yet to decide but kind of want to stay in position for Monday/Tuesday so will likely give the Kansas triple point a miss.
Posted by: EddyG

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 28/04/2019 14:21

Stunning images Orebound.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 29/04/2019 01:25

Some damn fine structure there mate! Lovely.

Yea things slowly starting to get going over there. Virtually I'll start a few targets again now, yesterday had mine around Matador to Paducah which would have been an ok starting point a took some large hail from a left split. Tornado confirmed SSE of there near Aspermont.

Today a bit dry again, LLJ has a crack but struggles to transport that moisture N enough. Weak lee low forms in E CO/W KS bit of warm front lifting N before cold front dives SE and cleans it all up into a linear MCS feature further E over KS later.

Two options, and given the day after is clearly down in SW TX I'd be more inclinded to play the dryline down in W TX for a very outside chance of a discrete supercell or two. Better CAPE and moisture down here but also more capping, most convective allowing models keep it all dry but a few pop up a nice storm. Up in KS some backed winds around the warm front look ok for some action but generally high based unless the moisture can get there in time to root lower.

KS Target area around Copeland KS with more cells up into NW KS but less tornado potential.

TX Target area around Spur TX. This could be blue skies or a massive discrete supercell so worth the risk.

Increasing signs ahead for some higher potential tues/wed as a better mid level low ejects from the west.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 30/04/2019 03:02

Well interesting day yesterday, far NW KS was the early pick with cells holding discrete whilst initially SW KS did indeed struggle with the dry air which was a concern. But into the evening the cells over NW KS shifted more ESE and gave chasers on the weaker higher based stuff near Dodge City etc a quick chance at something good so prob would have gone after that for a bit before correcting back south for today. The Spur option busted as expected, cap held on.

Today we have a slowing cold front, still diving south atm but where it stalls will be key. Dryline/warm front and cold front intersection should provide a good focal point for initiation, storms then becoming organised with staunch CAPE around 2500j/Kg. Half a chance of a tornado if the south/inflow side keeps clear, not a lot of activity otherwise so probably every man and his dog after it. Big hail a fair shot and probably some tidy structure.

Thinking around the Lenorah TX area atm but depends on where the front ends up... should initiate W-WSW of there at least.

TS cool
Posted by: StormCapture

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 30/04/2019 22:59

Might tag along here to have a go at my targets as well as to learn from others
Only been following US weather more in the last few weeks so I’ll a bit off with some but be a good learning curve for me who’s learning Met

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 01/05/2019 04:38

Yesterday proved patience was key and sure enough a couple of supercells quickly formed on the dryline/cold front boundary on the triple point right in far SW TX west of Midland. They rooted down and basically hardly moved so would have slipped west from target to catch them fairly easily. But no tornado.

Today however is a much bigger and broader day with a whole multitude of target options all way from IL/IA on the warm front down to SW TX again on the tail of the dryline.

A decent mid level shortwave is ejecting across the central plains with strong uplift, at the sfc the stationary front is stalled across much of Central OK into N TX whilst later a nice LLJ will rip up from the S through the central south and eastern OK and N TX. A very broad warm sector with near extreme instability is present, minimal capping in some areas, stronger towards the dryline into TX. OK seems the balance is best atm, already a tornado in SE OK.

Target for me is around Waurika OK and down into Ringgold TX which has a good area of roads in all directions to maximise a chance to latch onto something. Anything interacting near the stationary front will have an enhanced local tornado potential, definitely could be one or two strong ones somewhere today for anything that remains discrete and very large hail to probably 3" with the extreme CAPE.

Good luck all.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 02/05/2019 04:17

Yesterday proved one of the better targets with a tornado confirmed just west of the boxed area so happy with that.

Today a tricky one, remnant boundary still lingering through OK/TX and also SW moving OFB shooting out from earlier cluster over S OK. Dryline down through C and W TX with front pushing down again and impulse aloft coming from SW. Lots of potential, monster CAPE but weaker shear than yesterday. Good focal point over N TX so thinking the best area for insecting boundaries is around the Seymour TX to Mabelle TX area, decent roads off in all directions as well and take it as it goes from there.

TS cool
Posted by: crikey

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 02/05/2019 17:31

Hey'guys' thanks for your efforts in posting.
Found something from strangesounds twitter account

https://twitter.com/Strange_Sounds

that l thought you may enjoy

https://twitter.com/Strange_Sounds/status/1123238394027552769

There are some other great spectacular snaps as well

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 03/05/2019 00:53

That is quite the spanker!!!

Did alright virtually yesterday, nice tornado just south of Seymour plus a general line of tornado warned supercells to the west moving east inching south as the day wore on.

Very quickly today further south again less shear still bit CAPE so messier. OFB shooting south but bends NW and quasi stat. Should initiate further NW near Sterling City then move SE with stuff forming off the OFB then ahead of it before all joins up. Still a tornado chance both early from discrete modes and again later as mature storms interacts with various boundaries old and new.

Target the Eden TX to Menard TX area and take from there again good roads in all directions. Not as confident about a tornado hattrick though today.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 03/05/2019 14:21

Originally Posted By: EddyG
Stunning images Orebound.

Thanks Eddy.

Nice work keeping this thread ticking over Rowland and awesome forecasting there I might add! You need to get over here and put the theory to practice real soon!

I wish I had more opportunities to report back from over here but it's just been completely hectic for the past week with non-stop chasing without a break period as yet. We have targeted everywhere from north Kansas to the far SW corner of Texas over the past week with each and every day producing relatively high-end storms. In fact we just ticked over 3000 miles for the week so as soon as we drop off the storms at the end of each day we are spent and just want to get to a hotel and crash hard!

Anyway, here's a quick shot of a rather photogenic supercell down in the hills country of far southern Texas earlier this afternoon.

Sheffield, TX Supercell

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 06/05/2019 01:11

Another big day yesterday on the southern plains with a couple of extremely photogenic supercells churning away near the New Mexico/ Texas state line. We targeted the southern cell after starting the day out near Roswell, New Mexico and tracked the storm as it crossed into Texas near Seminole. This storm had a couple of attempts at wrapping up with a brief funnel appearing near dark but was mostly just that bit too high in the base for a real tornado threat although it was tor warned for a period.

Today looks perhaps a little less interesting although so far this season most days have produced some surprises. We will be targeting just to the east of Lubbock TX initially and taking it from there.

Severe threat ramps up considerably over the next few days.

Quick snap from yesterday..

Seminole, TX Supercell

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 06/05/2019 02:09

Thanks Orebound, certainly plan to get there one day. See what I can do about real soon....Magnificent images btw as well, sure was a cracker structure day yesterday was a bit busy for a target but Hobbs area seemed about right.

Today nice dryline job shooting E, perhaps in the boxed area of Childress/Matador/Paducah TX etc with nice shear late coming in with very big CAPE anything discrete could be quite impressive structure wise again and also that slight tornado risk.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 06/05/2019 14:53

Thanks Rowland.

Big day out in the Texas panhandle today, incredible scenes from an incredible cyclic tornado producer.

Pretty late here and big drive to tomorrows target in a few hours so I shall write full report later.

Quick photo as first tornado crossed the road shortly after initially touching down...

Tahoka, Texas Tornado

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 06/05/2019 18:49

Was watching the tornado develop on radar this morning for the Tahoka cell. Mighty impressive on radar and had a textbook example of a couplet, I'll get the radar images up shortly for those interested.

Stunning images as well, makes me jealous, damn you poke haha

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 07/05/2019 02:07

Great shot there mate! very solid day again.

Today I think is a little down on yest but still fairly solid potential but a much broader area to target. Two main areas, north of the quasi stat front with better backed winds over central/N KS and further SW over far SW KS, SE CO, NW OK and N TX near dryline/frontal intersection plus some remnant boundaries. Given I was in TX yest the KS frontal target would be a monumental drive so prob wouldn't go there but do like it so will put out two targets for those interested.

Salina KS for the N option and Sublette KS for the more SW option.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 07/05/2019 20:59

May 7:
My Take, anyone elses imput is more than welcome, only way I wil learn (nudge nudge Lennie poke )

Storm Predic Centre going a moderate risk for severe thunderstorms across the NE part of Texas and into Oklahoma, Pampa under the threat.

A cold front which is expeced to move south into Northern TX later in the day which will act as a nice trigger. An Upper Level Low will continue to move east across Arizona and New Mexico and will have a broad area of S to SE winds at 45-55kts attached, to be over the tip of Texas by 7PM where it is expected to increase to 55 to 65kts. CAPE levels around 2500 during the day, before incerasing to 3-3100 by 7PM. A CAP looks to be present at aroun 780mb so will halt anything until it breaks.
850 winds to become 20-30kts with local 35kt patches later in the day.

A deep lapse rate becomes present so updrafts will be strong with 35-45kt shear through the troposphere, some models are pegging in sigificant sized hail up to 4".

My picks will be Pampa and Canadian TX and surrounds, and a triangle between Laverne, Fort Worth & Shattuck OK.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 08/05/2019 00:44

Good stuff Kyle!! More targets the merrier.

Tough day yest but Salina target would have worked really well. Unfortunately for many the SW KS area didn’t fire until the main squall line hit the region and forced new cells up. But some nocturnal tornado action around Garfield KS Occured which is close to salina.

In short today could be violent. Strong ejecting shortwave, strong shear large CAPE. Every man and his dog will be in the TX panhandle. Tough to pick but for me somewhere around Plainview TXto Turkey TX and take it from there. Right moving tail end Charlie a big focus for me today wherever that is. Could be way further S than that as could the earlier ones near the quasi stat front over OK panhandle and SW KS/ FAr N TX panhandle.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 11/05/2019 16:01

Pretty quiet for severe storm wise for the next few days before models begin to ramp things up signifcantly. Oklahoma looks decent for spotentail evere storms on the 17th, however shear is lacking for the good stuff, but has CAPE around 3200

Skip a few days ahead to the 21-22nd and this is two dates of interst for me. A mass level of CAPE ranging from 3200 to 5200, and a handy surface low.

May 21 00Z: Surface Low of 990mb in NEbraska at 40.75N 100.01W with decent shear in various levels from 25-30kts at the sfc, 50-60kts @ 850, 45-55kts at 700 and 60-65kts at 500.
Shear best on the western side of the low. A Jet at 300 begins to penetrate the areas of 100-105kts through OK, Top of TX up to 125kts. Decent levels of CAPE through Central OK at 27-3200J/kg increasing to as high as 4000 in Central to west TX. Dew Points in the low to mid 70s acorss central TX with Dew points of 46 on the dryline boundary. Temperatures of 80-84 with the low to mid 70s dew points, slightly higher with the lower dew points.

May 22 00Z: The low will track Northwards then NW before weaking. An EXPLOSIVE amount of CAPE will be present acorss NE TX and South Central of OK with CAPE up to 5200 with a significant sized area of 4000+. Dew Points mid to high 70s. Temps to by mid to high 80s. Light Southerly surface winds at 7-10kts, 20-25kts at 850 and to be 40kts in the NE corner of KS, lack of shear at 700 for TX, but increases in OK to 30-45kts. 30-40kts TX, 55-70kts OK and 50-45kts Nebraska.

AT this stage, May 21 looks to be the better day simply due to a deep layer of shear, soundings have PDS TOR on them so it could be a potentailly dangerous set up, but still 10 days out but certainly one to watch.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 17/05/2019 22:48

17th May

Looks to be a day of significant weather acorss parts of the states with Nebraska and central Texas in the hotzone. The Storm Prediciton Centra has gone an Enhanced risk of severe thunderstoms for Nebraska with a 10% chance of EF-2+ Tornadoes.

A triangle of Stapleton, Halsey and Anselmo is my target for Nebraska. Good shear throughout and a highly unstable atmosphere, they will go up rapidly. Should also be good bases and features.

Large Hail, damaging gusts and I'll go a smokey and will think a wedge tornado may be lurking somewhere.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 18/05/2019 01:11

Big day today, blend of targets and it’s not easy. Will play warm front in NE but start a bit south of it for a discrete warm sector storm.

Main target around North Platte NE to Thredford NE but start a bit south of there.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 18/05/2019 03:31

Also forgot to mention for those playing further south there is an area of backed winds roughly near Laverne OK which would be my target down there for a nice tornadic discrete storm.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 18/05/2019 13:40

Originally Posted By: Thunderstruck
Also forgot to mention for those playing further south there is an area of backed winds roughly near Laverne OK which would be my target down there for a nice tornadic discrete storm.

TS cool

We were playing the southern mode and scored perhaps the most incredible tornado we have ever seen. On the ground for over an hour and transitioned to an almost perfect stovepipe as it passed by Dodge City KS.

Pictures to come next day or so.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 20/05/2019 15:24

Well the other day went partially well, I’m actually in the states and have been for a week. Eventual target became McCook the morning of and only if we actually went there and didn’t get distracted!! But nevertheless still saw my first ever tornado and got another wrapped one soon after so not fully lost.

But Monday (today now) looks high end. Could be upgraded to high risk in one of the next two SPC convective outlooks. Big upper trough with powerful LLJ and deep moisture with very low LCL’s and significant CAPE, some MLCAPE’s are nudging 5000-6000J/Kg and deep layer shear of 60knots.

I also see significant complexities in the setup, we firstly have a nocturnal MCS firing off elevated storms, some supercellular before that drapes a boundary off it. With such big forcing aloft there could well be a lot of storm interference over the better sheared SW to C OK warm sector area as opposed to the dryline through the TX panhandle which has less looping curved low level hodographs atm due to the dryline orientation which is a tickle too NE-SW so there is potential for discrete storms to quickly go upscale due to them tracking along the areas of ascent seeding the updrafts with more linear precip. If we get a more N-S orientated dryline then I think discrete modes can be maintained for longer before upscale growth takes over. Whatever the case there should be multiple waves of storms and a few strong to violent and long-tracked tornadoes, mostly likely over SW OK and another two areas of slightly lesser focus being S central ok including OKC and surrounds down to the red river and also the TX panhandle up to the red river OK/TX border with more dryline storms. Also some backed winds way south around Ozona might fire some stand alone discrete storms or single storm there but a brave man only would target that.

For now very unsure but we are in Lubbock TX tonight. Current thinking is dependent on dryline orientation and warm front placement and size of warm sector. If warm sector is larger then SW OK but if smaller then perhaps TX dryline. In any case will go for Childress TX for now and take from there will review in morning.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 20/05/2019 19:34

Storm Predic Centre upgrades to High on this mornings run. The dynamics of this is just incredible. Will be watching this unfold on satellite and radar imagery. Will be archiving this thats for sure.

Location of choice is quite tricky but I will go around SW OK and surrounds. Childress/Paducua is my AOI, OK I'd say will be flooded with chasers.

For all chasing, PLEASE BE SAFE on what is one of the most dangerous setups this year.
Posted by: Mega

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 20/05/2019 23:07

Love reading the forecasts and reports from you guys on the ground over there. Seems to be a LOT of talk on Twitter about today being a very big day and potentially one for the record books. Good luck and stay safe!
Posted by: Wet Snow

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 21/05/2019 08:15

Hello Folks:
It's 5:11PM Monday here (Central Time) & the SPC has issued a PDS Tornado Watch for parts of N & N Central Texas & SW Oklahoma; as violent & long-track tornadoes look likely with this Severe Weather Outbreak. The last time a PDS (Particularly Dangerous Situation) Tornado Watch was issued was on April 27, 2011--the Outbreak that included the twisters that hit Birmingham & Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I've been watching the US Weather Channel.

Keeping an eye to the sky~~~Wet Snow

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 21/05/2019 13:49

Hello Folks:
It's 10:45PM Monday Central Time, here--watching the US Weather Channel-there is a Doppler Indicated tornado with a "debris ball", not far to the SW of the town of Leach (in SW Delaware County), Oklahoma (NE Oklahoma); headed NE.
Looks like quite a tornado, hail & flash flooding threat is still happening & will go through the overnight. Looks like the action will hit my area in the early hours of the morning.

Kind Wishes--Take Care--GOD Bless~~~Wet Snow

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 21/05/2019 15:43

Originally Posted By: Wet Snow
Hello Folks:
It's 10:45PM Monday Central Time, here--watching the US Weather Channel-there is a Doppler Indicated tornado with a "debris ball", not far to the SW of the town of Leach (in SW Delaware County), Oklahoma (NE Oklahoma); headed NE.
Looks like quite a tornado, hail & flash flooding threat is still happening & will go through the overnight. Looks like the action will hit my area in the early hours of the morning.

Hope all stays well for you. I know I would not be able to sleep, but from excitement, not fear. But tornadoes in urban areas are not something to wish for.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 22/05/2019 00:21

Hello Folks:
It's 9:17AM Tuesday here & the Weather Channel reported that there were at least 21 tornadoes in 5 states reported on Monday. The tornado & flash flood/flood threat is ongoing today, as well.
The thunderstorm line has passed through McAlester, Oklahoma (Thankfully, the current line is fairly thin & not quite as strong)--which means it will hit my area in around an hour (depending on speed & trajectory).

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 22/05/2019 09:13

Hello Folks: (Watching the US Weather Channel): It's 6:12PM Tuesday & There is a Tornado with a "debris ball" signature just east of Augusta, Missouri--this twister is headed for the western suburbs of St. Louis, Missouri. The NWS staff in St. Louis has handed off to the NWS office in Kansas City, MO--as the STL staff has taken shelter. The Spirit of St. Louis Airport is not that far east of this twister. Praying for the good folks in the "Gateway City". The "debris ball" is reported to be 7,000FT in the air.

Kind Wishes--GOD Bless--Take Care~~~Wet Snow

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 23/05/2019 06:55

Hello Folks:
It's 3:51PM Wednesday here & watching the US Weather Channel. The NWS has issued a PDS Tornado Watch for parts of N Texas into N & Central Oklahoma, SE Kansas and into parts of W & Central Missouri.
Quite a bit of flooding happening in these areas as well--the Arkansas River at Tulsa, Oklahoma is at its highest level in over 30 years.

My prayers & thoughts go out to all who have been adversely impacted by the storms & flooding.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 23/05/2019 09:26

Hello Folks: 6:24PM Wednesday here, confirmed tornado near downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Earlier TWC video showed the flooding & swollen Cimarron River in OK carrying a barn downriver.
A number of cells contain intense amounts of rainfall & some contain large hail. Another active evening/night.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 23/05/2019 17:17

Hello Folks:
It's 2:09AM Thursday here, and a short time ago, Jefferson City, Missouri has taken a direct hit from a major tornado (shortly after 3 were killed in SW Missouri).
Coverage on KRCG-TV (Ch. 13):
https://krcgtv.com/

Praying for the least amount of loss of life.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 24/05/2019 05:21

Managed 3 tornadoes on Monday from the ‘big’ day, delib went SW away from circus yesterday into lower risk but enjoyed the chase more without lunatics and muppets everywhere but at the price of a shot at multiple tornadoes.

Today a little easier and more focused. Cold front diving SE then stalling just east of Amarillo TX. Dryline further south with juiced warm sector and backed SE winds throughout. Very hazy here atm but liking the Clarendon TX area for now. See how we go.

TS cool

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 24/05/2019 06:24

Originally Posted By: Thunderstruck
Managed 3 tornadoes on Monday from the ‘big’ day, delib went SW away from circus yesterday into lower risk but enjoyed the chase more without lunatics and muppets everywhere but at the price of a shot at multiple tornadoes.

Today a little easier and more focused. Cold front diving SE then stalling just east of Amarillo TX. Dryline further south with juiced warm sector and backed SE winds throughout. Very hazy here atm but liking the Clarendon TX area for now. See how we go.

TS cool

Ha that's funny man, literally opened WZ for the first time in days while waiting for initiation to occur and where do you think we are sitting? That's right, Clarendon TX! Great minds right.

Anyway, not convinced we will maintain discrete modes for too long today but if we can pick one off out in the open warm sector that can stay clean it should be a real good shot at producing with some very nice dynamics at play once again.

The chaser convergence struggle is as real as it's ever been this year so we're always looking for that secondary target if at all possible to avoid losing my mind!

Here's a bit of rough video from the Minneola, KS tornado just on dark the other night. This thing was on the ground for almost an hour and took on several different forms. Unfortunately it took out a few houses along its 27 mile path. It has since been rated EF-3

Minneola, Kansas Tornado

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 25/05/2019 18:39

Another Enhanced day issued by the SPC for today May 25.
SPC also has gone a 5% chance of EF-2 and above tornado strength.

My picks would be just East of Amarillo which indeedly looks good for supercelluar activity later in the day and SE of Amarillo, with nearby cities including Silverton.

Thunderstorms will enter a very favourable unstable atmosphere with CAPE levels around 4000J/kg, with bulk shear averaging 30 to 35kts, Tornadoes are a chance but I think some cells may well struggle to get one happening, the watch of a southerly LLJ is to be closely watched to help enhance tornado expectation. Hail to around 3 inches, possible up to 4 inches in size in other areas. Damaging surface wind gusts between 65 to 75mph I'm expecting as well.

I'll be watching the radars and satellites in the peak

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 29/05/2019 11:25

Hello Folks:
8:23PM Tuesday here; A short while ago, a large & dangerous tornado (plus a twin) touched down near Kansas City, Kansas/Missouri.

For coverage, KMBC-TV Channel 9, Please see:
https://www.kmbc.com/nowcast (click arrow)

Praying for them~~~Wet Snow
Posted by: Ruckle

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 11/06/2019 10:21

Hi Wet Snow , We were north of KC during this event (don't ask), we thought it unwise to navigate a major metro area during peak(rush) hour from the north with a tornadic storm moving through and held our ground. We experienced lots of urban flash flooding from a day of heavy elevated storms.

The next day we drove past the area immediately south of Lawrence Kansas (scene of the chaser tour incident) and saw a very clear damage path through the woodland and unfortunately several houses.

Several miles North and that track would have resulted in a lot of devastation and possible widespread loss of life in Lawrence itself.

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 19/06/2019 11:32

Here's a bit of GoPro video from that dirty old Tahoka, Texas tornado back in early May. This thing is still a bit of a mystery in terms of how/why it developed at all with the storm appearing mostly outflow dominant immediately prior to wrapping up a new meso further west of the initial updraft base.

All I know is we were cleaning out dust from the car for the next 2 weeks!

TAHOKA, Texas Tornado
Posted by: ozone doug

Re: 2019 USA Severe Weather Season - 21/06/2019 10:41

Bit of bad news , Aussie chaser Dale Sharpe was killed yesterday when hit by a car . He had hit a deer at night and got out of he's car and was hit.