Crocs

Posted by: desieboy

Crocs - 23/02/2014 16:42

Croc seen near Cable Beach on Feb 22 2014.

The main question is : Is he in transit which they have a tendency to move round at this time of the year. Especially as the water temperature rises, looking for new territory or a mating partner.

Or is he lurking around looking for a nice fair skinned tourist for a quick snack ..lol shocked
Posted by: Popeye

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 16:58

He is becoming more of a local Des. I know of him and photographed him a few weeks ago same big pronounced snout. I have been talking a bit with rangers and the DPaW lately and have been at various beaches when he has been swimming past. I honestly think the crowd down there yesterday was giving him an opportunity to size up people and become reasonably comfortable around people.

He is big and is happily swimming in close to shore. When I saw him at Entrance around the corner there was a little kids party with girls running around in Fairy dresses along the shore. Its just a recipe for disaster. He needs trapping. Why do you think DPaW have just invested in 2 traps this week. Because of this croc mainly in the short term due to it being only a matter of time before he takes someone. That would be devastating for tourism.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:02

He has probably made up 90 percent of sightings since August when he first came on the scene. If they can get rid of him it would stop all this fear in town. 1 croc is causing everyone to think there are heaps just cruising around Broome all the time. OK there might be resident in the creeks nth and south of Broome but this one is happy to swim around Broome peninsula. I have worked on the water for 14 years now with thousands of trips out and have only ever seen a small one. They are becoming more regular but I honestly think its this one lately which is stirring the pot.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:07

Yep I suppose your right if there hanging around the same spots for too long they definitely need moving on.

Although at Willie creek where there is a few resident crocs we found out that as soon as you get rid of one it creates a void for others to relocate into the creek. And as we found out from experience "better the devil you know that the one you don't know."
Posted by: Brett Guy

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:11

Hardly a recipe for disaster but if he can be removed without the need to kill him. Go for it. Fact is though he isn't doing anything wrong by being a croc and is highly unlikely to attack unless someone does something VERY stupid.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:16

Originally Posted By: desieboy

Yep I suppose your right if there hanging around the same spots for too long they definitely need moving on.

Although at Willie creek where there is a few resident crocs we found out that as soon as you get rid of one it creates a void for others to relocate into the creek. And as we found out from experience "better the devil you know that the one you don't know."

That is actually a very good point. Most people don't know but croc numbers are self regulating. Crocs by nature are very territorial and get more so the bigger they get. It is not uncommon to see several 3mt ish crocs living in fairly close proximity but very rare too see a really big croc tolerating another male in his territory. Given the different behaviours displayed by different sized crocs(ie those 3m jobs being a bit like testorone fuelled teenagers and the really big fellas being a bit like gradpa-wise, experienced and patient), I know which situation I would prefer.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:19

The only problem with wild crocs is that you can't really trust what their intentions really are ...after all they are man-eaters!

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:20

I think its at the stage now where DPaW need permanent traps in Willie Creek and Dampier Creek Have Willie Creek as a catching feature. If one gets taken out then let the next move down the coast and settle in and have this area as a Northern catching feature so to speak rather than have them snooping around town. Bit like Darwin Harbour.

Its a hard subject and everyone will cry 'its their habitat' and while it is, when a kid or local or anyone gets grabbed and they find crabs seething over a dead body the next day washed up on the beach it's not going to go down well with anyone.

Broome is famous for its Beach I would hate for it to get to a stage where people started fearing the place when with a smart and well managed trapping system in place Cable beach/Broome could remain a great family and visitor holiday destination.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:29

The only problem with wild crocs is that you can't really trust what their intentions really are ...after all they are man-eaters!

Actually you can trust them 100%. If you give them an easy opportunity to eat you then they will. Simple as that. I love em. Worked with them day in/day out for nearly 5 years. They are an animal that is beyond amazing. But luckily easy to avoid.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:29

One thing that people forget or don't realise more likely, is that Broome was always crocodile territory. Have seen some great pics of the massive 5 metre plus crocs that used to call Broome home.The old pearlers used to kill them to make it safer and in the off season hunt them for their skins. I suppose they would have almost exterminated them from around this area from about 1920s to 1970.

Been in town 30 years and for the first 20 never heard of anyone seeing one around here.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:36

Yeah that's interesting Des.

I read a post on facebook yesterday morning before this one was sighted by authorities. Guy ran down to waters edge waded out went to dive in and this croc surfaced immediately in front of him. I think that was kind of lucky.

Because Broome is on a peninsula, on an average day in Broome I would say that there would be many hundreds of people dotted along the entire coastline at various times of day, from sunrise to well after dark, fishing, walking, boating, kayaking, swimming, spearfishing, snorkelling. And that is only February. Give it another 6 weeks at Easter and those numbers will sky rocket up. This croc if it wanted could easily have a chance at taking someone if it wanted. It makes me wonder if they are as big a man eater as what they are made out to be. But given enough opportunities which it will have here you have to worry.
Posted by: ColdFront

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 17:47

There are two documented incidents from last year where given the choice a croc will take a dog. One was an 8 year old girl pushed aside by the croc to take the dog standing behind her and the other was caught on video here. You'll need to cut and paste the link to watch it.

There is no doubt they will take people given the chance but we are certainly not their preference. This guy in the video had a big croc go around his back to grab his dog.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/massive-crocodile-snatches-dog/x85mydt?cpkey=9d3b7186-9f9d-4f2e-a069-3a698862be9b%257c%257c%257c%257c

Surely the question should be asked though why the clown was down at the water's edge to begin with?
Posted by: Firepac

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 18:00

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy

Actually you can trust them 100%. If you give them an easy opportunity to eat you then they will. Simple as that. I love em. Worked with them day in/day out for nearly 5 years. They are an animal that is beyond amazing. But luckily easy to avoid.

I completely agree, I have also had a fair bit of experience with them over many years. A large croc, 3.5M+, has a brain the same size and shape as the last two joints on my little finger. Having such a small brain for the size of the animal means they are almost totally instinctive, and being almost totally instinctive it follows that if you understand the animals behaviour then it is almost totally predictable. An awesome amazing animal indeed.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 18:06

Indigenous people are taken mostly but they accept the risk and often swim in water holes known to contain crocs. There have been two fatal attacks in Queensland in the past couple of decades and both were easily avoidable. One was a child who walked out on a boardwalk that was submerged 30cms due to flooding on the Daintree River. Unfortunately his parents ran a croc tours business and often fed crocs where he was taken. They requested the crocs be left alone.

The second was a man named Arthur Booker who returned to the same spot on a mud boast ramp each day to set a crab pot on the Endeavour River at Cooktown over the course of several days. It was on an isolated camping ground and the ramp had only recently been pushed through the mangrove forest after approval was given by authorities.

Rather than wait for the tide to drop as he had done each other day he decided to get an early start that day on the road so placed his camera and phone up the ramp and proceeded to wade in to retrieve his pot. It was the last thing he ever did. His wife also requested the croc be spared however the decision was made to kill it .Ironically it was a relocated croc that was caught near Cairns and put there a few years earlier.

I agree there is a certain amount of risk in heavily built up areas but the areas Newman is removing crocs from in Cairns is absolutely ridiculous. Taking crocs out of our waterways will be detrimental to the health of those systems. Take the crocs out and you'll have an explosion in catfish numbers which in turn devour fingerling species that ultimately end up on the reef.

Education is the key.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 18:50

Last time they set a croc trap at Willie creek they caught the largest catfish I've ever seen about 170cms long but no croc. When the tide went out it was still seen hanging from the bait.

Never forget when I used to live out there a few years back I was cleaning some fish near the bottom of the landing ,as I was finishing up I turned around to see a 3 metre croc with his head above the water eyeing me off.

Later I realised I done 2 things wrong:

1. I had my back facing the water.
2. Cleaning the fish near the waters edge and throwing the guts in the creek.

As I was out there by myself at the time and no one else around I would have disappeared and nobody would have known what happened to me. cry

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 19:23

I remember reading this article the day it was originally printed back in the mid '80's.. It's one of those things that sticks in your mind many years on.

Taken by a crocodile

As told to Michelle Hamer
January 12, 2004

Philosopher Val Plumwood survived a crocodile attack while paddling in a canoe in Kakadu nine years ago.

"I was in a canoe on a side channel of the East Alligator River in Kakadu, looking for an Aboriginal rock art site. I had been out the previous day and it had been idyllic. This day began with drizzle, which progressed into torrential rain. By early afternoon I had a strong feeling of being watched and suddenly the canoe seemed flimsy. I had a sense of danger or vulnerability and decided I wanted to go back.

I started paddling back down the channel and hadn't got far when I saw what looked like a stick ahead of me. As I was swept towards it I saw eyes and realised it was a crocodile.

I was almost past it when there was this great blow on the side of the canoe. I paddled furiously but it followed, bashing on the canoe. I looked for a place to get out, but couldn't see one. I felt sheer terror. I saw a tree growing from the water near the bank and thought maybe I could leap into it. I got ready to jump and as I did so, the crocodile came up close. I looked straight into its eyes and it looked straight into mine. It had beautiful golden-flecked eyes. I remember those vividly.

I did the thing you're advised to do, to try to look fearsome: I waved my arms and shouted. It might work with tigers but it doesn't work with crocodiles.

Then I jumped, but it got me in mid jump. I saw this blur, a flash of teeth and water as it grabbed me between the legs and took me down for a death roll. I thought: "I'm not food, I'm a human being; I don't believe this."

There was searing pain, but the worst thing was the roll, which seemed to last forever. It pushes water in your lungs and it felt like my arms and legs were coming off. When it finished, my head came clear of the water and I coughed the water out of my lungs and started to howl with pain. Then the crocodile pushed me into the second death roll.

We came up again, and this time right next to me was a big, solid, branch so I grabbed on to it. I hung on grimly, thinking I'd sooner let it tear me apart than go through another death roll.

Then, suddenly, I felt the pressure relax and realised the crocodile had let go. I tried again to jump into the tree. This time it grabbed me around the leg - the upper left thigh, which was badly damaged.

It took me down for a third death roll. Again I thought I was going to die. I just thought it was going to take a long time over it, which seemed worse than having it kill me straight out.

But a minute later it let me go, again. I gave up on the tree and tried to throw myself at the mud bank. After several tries, I got to the top and stood up and couldn't believe it; I was still alive. It was an incredible rush of elation. Because I was still in danger, I flopped away, finding my leg was in bad shape. I had shock right through my body and was feeling pretty sick; I tried lying down but felt worse, so continued to walk back in the direction of the ranger's station. I felt just a glimmer of hope that I might survive.

The rain was still torrential and it took me hours to reach the lagoon between me and the ranger station. At this stage, I started to black out and had to crawl. But then the rain stopped and it was still, abnormally still, and so the ranger heard me shouting.

Then I had a 13-hour trip to Darwin hospital. I almost lost the leg in hospital but I recovered after almost a month in intensive care and another month of skin grafts.

It was really a life-changing event for me. Those final experiences have an incredible intensity - that's why they have such a life-changing power. You see things at that point which you wouldn't normally see; it strips away a lot of your illusions about life and death. It was quite a while before I took in the full extent of how it changed my way of looking at the world. It left me with a strong sense of gratitude about being alive, which has faded but never really gone, and a feeling that life is not to be wasted.

The experience also changed my overall theoretical outlook and had a big impact on the direction of my work. It forced me to rethink a lot of things - life, death, being human, and being food. Before the crocodile, I wrote about the value of nature, but after the crocodile, I started writing about how we see ourselves as outside nature, about the power of nature and our illusions that we can control it, that we're not embodied beings and are apart from other animals.

During the encounter I had a sense that it was all a dream, that it wasn't really happening. But I now think it's ordinary life and consciousness that is the dream. We don't understand ourselves as ecological beings that are part of the food chain - we're still fighting that knowledge.

During the attack, it seemed as if I'd entered a parallel universe where I didn't count for anything, I was just a piece of meat. So I've had to develop a different idea of eating and being food, where we must honour our food and the more-than-food that all of us are, including other life forms. I don't believe we do this when we treat other animals as no more than food.

It also changed my view of death. I used to be a conventional atheist, thinking that you live your life and the story ends completely with death, that there's nothing at all after that, no immaterial world you go on to without your body. Now I still think there's no other world, but I don't think the story ends with your death. The story passes on to the other life forms you nurture with your death, nurturing those who have nurtured you, in a chain of mutual life-giving."

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 19:33

I should add that in a rather cruel twist she died of snake bite many years later.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 19:38

Yes Cold Front scary account of a crocodile attack and stalking and remember seeing her on sixty minutes I think it was, relating to it .Croc grabbed her in the crotch ..ouch

That could put you off kayaking in the Top End creeks and rivers that's for sure.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 20:10

Yeah that is a shortened and cleaned up version of her original account. Part of her crotch was crushed and she used a jacket or similar to cover her wounds so she couldn't see them. The leg injury was even worse.

An amazing story of survival and they put her survival down to her high fitness levels.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 20:13

This may be a little pedantic but I dislike the term 'death roll' It is not a death roll insomuch as it is not primarily designed to kill although death is often the result. It is actually a feeding roll. A crocodile can't chew so it has to bite off chunks of meat that it can swallow. To do this it bites its prey puncturing the flesh with its teeth then spins to tear off a suitable size mouthful.

Re: Crocs - 23/02/2014 22:55

Point taken Firepac ...theres probaly many things about this amazing creature that are still completeley misunderstood.

There was an unfortunate and well documented case in the Kimberley with the American woman at the Kings Casades many years ago who tried to swim around a big croc who then submerged ,grabbed by the torso and rolled her around underwater then tossed her up out of the water like a rag doll then rolled her around about 5 more times by that time she had drowned.

The croc then put her body up on the bank under a cluster of mangroves and left her there.When the fisheries and police came there a day later to try retrieve the body the croc was on the bank guarding it and it was with great effort before they could manage to retreive the body and get the huge croc to retreat.

It got more chilling though when later that night and after they had realised they could not get back to the mouth of the Prince Regent river because of the falling tide ,they put the body in a body bag and put it in the dingy . In the middle of the night the croc lauched itself at the dinghy and grabbed the body bag from inside the dinghy and took it away .Eventually the next morning after many hours of trying her body was retrieved a second time and taken to Broome.

This story made world news and flocks of reporters were in Broome to get the fulll story...which as it turned out was a tragic sequence of unfortunate and ill advised events.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 08:47

I've read the reports of that incident. As far as I can tell the croc/crocs that had a go at the dingy were unlikely to be the same one ad were attracted no doubt to the smell of the corpse which was stashed on the bow and they didn't manage to get the body off the boat according to the police.
On the point of the so called 'death roll'. From my experience with them they use it for a whole swag of reasons but the two most common are as FP said the most common is to tear pieces of food off really large prey items but they also use it regularly when fighting. A very impressive sight.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 09:02

They also use it to take their prey off its legs. I saw a doco where David Attenborough's team set a camera in the mud on a river bank here in Australia somewhere around 25 years ago because a feral pig was returning to the same spot each day to drink. The camera shot was actually angled up slightly between the pig's legs. All of a sudden two eyes broke on the water just in front. The croc grabbed the pig on the face ,rolled once taking it off its legs and slid into back into the water to drown it. All over in seconds.
Posted by: @_Yasified_shak

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 09:17

Like this video between Loins taking a buffalo calf, ending up in the water then a croc steps in....

Posted by: Adele

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 12:12

We did a Daintree River crocodile tour last year a couple of times. It was great to see them in their natural environment. My husband and I were rather amused to see the life jackets stored above our heads on the boat. If the boat started sinking, the life jacket was going to be the least of our problem. I was so frantic about making sure my seven year old kept his arms in the boat. Other passengers must have been thinking I was psychotic or worse. Or just one of those stupid tourists.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 13:07

Crocodile facts from www.nt.gov.au/becrocwise

The saltwater crocodile is the largest living reptile species. It can grow up to six metres and is a serious
threat to humans. Saltwater crocodiles have evolved special characteristics that make them excellent
predators.

Large saltwater crocodiles can stay underwater for at least one hour because they can reduce
their heart rate to 2-3 beats per minute. This means that crocodiles can wait underwater until they
see prey, or if people are using the same spot regularly, the crocodile can wait underwater until
someone approaches the water’s edge.

A crocodile can float with only eyes and nostrils exposed, enabling it to approach prey without
being detected.

When under water, a special transparent eyelid protects the crocodile’s eye. This means that
crocodiles can still see when they are completely submerged.

The tail of a crocodile is solid muscle and a major source of power, making it a strong swimmer
and able to make sudden lunges out of the water to capture prey. These strong muscles also
mean that for shorts bursts of time crocodiles can move faster than humans can on land.

Crocodiles have a thin layer of guanine crystals behind their retina. This intensifies images,
allowing crocodiles to see better at low light levels.

Crocodiles have a ‘minimum exposure’ posture in the water, which means that only their sensory
organs of eyes, cranial platform, ears and nostrils remain out of the water. This means that they
often go unseen by prey, but if they are observed, the prey is often not able to tell how big the
crocodile is.

Crocodile eyes are located very closely together and they are oriented forward. This enables them
to judge distance very accurately so they can determine the exact location of their prey prior to
attack.

Crocodiles have excellent hearing, which helps them to locate prey particularly in poor light or low
visibility conditions.

While crocodiles may regularly lose teeth, they have a second tooth sitting in reserve underneath the external tooth, which can replace the lost tooth.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 13:12

What is not described their is their ability sense movement like footsteps from distance. heavy footsteps are easily detectable from 100m or more even when the croc is sitting on the bottom of their water hole. Splashing in the water can be felt from much further.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 13:55

Yes BG they didn't survive past the time of the dinosaurs without having amazing prey sensing abilities.

Also about that attack at Kings Cascades I was living at the time with the head of the fisheries who was involved in the recovery of the body and got a first hand account of the whole event and he said it was the same croc which did actually come looking for the body the second time round and he did manage to grab back into the water.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 14:00

On the subject of prey sensing ...snakes also have an amazing ability where they can taste the air in search of their prey and I was told by an expert some brown snakes can sense prey over a kilometre away.
No wonder reptiles are such good hunters.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 14:04

Yes BG they didn't survive past the time of the dinosaurs without having amazing prey sensing abilities.

Also about that attack at Kings Cascades I was living at the time with the head of the fisheries who was involved in the recovery of the body and got a first hand account of the whole event and he said it was the same croc which did actually come looking for the body the second time round and he did manage to grab back into the water.

Fair enough. I guess the info I have is wrong then. Interesting.
Posted by: bundybear

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 14:53

Originally Posted By: Adele
I was so frantic about making sure my seven year old kept his arms in the boat. Other passengers must have been thinking I was psychotic or worse. Or just one of those stupid tourists.

Years back we did a trip to Karumba and hired a boat to fish from. Our kids would have been 11 and 8. The son, "Mr I am Invincible", would get bored and dangle a hand in the water. That was upanchor and move time for us every time.

The next time we went we hired the BBQ boat. Figured that should be a bit more relaxing for us parents.

I may be paranoid but rather that then being dinner.

When hubby bought himself a tinny down here he deliberately bought one with higher sides. Our creeks don't have crocs according to the authorities but my own eyes and others eyes say different.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 15:37

Yep you never can be too sure with crocs and where they are in the water. A few years ago up here a man was fishing in a boat and got grabbed by the shoulder by a croc after it launched itself and took him into the water ..luckily he managed to escape after being badly bitten.

Also a friend of mine was cruising the creek in a dinghy and had his hand in the water and came in contact with a sea snake that was on the surface getting some air.

So definitely not good idea to have hands dangling in the water from a boat.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 21:40

Had a bit of a chat to various authorities today regarding the big fella that was spotted on Cables the other day. They think same croc was spotted late yesterday around the cyclone moorings in roebuck bay. They think he is a dominant Male that is happily cruising between Jacks Creek near Eco Beach and Coconut Wells. That's a reasonable territory. He matches descriptions of croc spotted nearly every 2 weeks since Sept. Willie creek croc is safe, like you say better to know your local croc than have new ones kicking through constantly which does make sense.

Happy to see if these croc traps work in Dampier. Give it 2 weeks they reckon. Got steady bookings coming in but I am not all that keen on heading out at the moment. Kinda sucks. Its Feb and its OK to take time off though.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 23:04

Yes Pops heard about the traps at Dampier Creek be interesting to see if they catch one or two? Yes wouldn't at all surprise me if that still the same croc that been around from late last year.

Once they mapped out their territory they seem to do the patrols on a regular basis .We noticed that at Willie the dominant male would every few days go out towards the mouth of the creek to check for others.If another was around he would adopt the tail in the air defensive and I suppose aggressive behaviour position to warn the would be resident away.

You know the black fellas are in the water fishing with throw nets etc quite a bit and never seem to be too worried about them out at the creek.Even seen a big croc on the opposite bank to them throw netting and he don't seem to worry about them.

One local bloke told me that they rather eat them white fellas than the blacks...lol and he also mentioned he was a lot more concerned about the 3 and 1/2 metre hammerhead that regularly cruises the creek then the crocs.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2014 23:22

HAHA I would prefer the 3.5 metre hammerhead any day. Seen them regularly enough over the years. How big is the croc at Willie. Is he the 3-4metre range or bigger these days?

Re: Crocs - 25/02/2014 00:14

One is about 3.5 meters and another seen is a 3 metre one there is a third too but she seems to rather aloof as she comes and goes and seems to dissapear for months on end..
I presuming she is a she because the big guy don't worry about what she does or were she goes as long as shes home at midnight... laugh
Posted by: Adele

Re: Crocs - 25/02/2014 00:46

Baffle Creek area comes to mind BundyBear. Not that I saw any there but it looked like crocodile country to me. I certainly wouldn't get in the water to find out, that is for sure.

I have even had some people from Middlemount believe that there is crocodiles in Mackenzie River this far in land. I must admit I am very sceptical of this. If there was one it would of had to been introduced. And surely there would be photo's and evidence of track sitings, etc. However, I must say these are the same people who believe brown snakes have cross breaded with carpet snakes (shakes head in wonder). So not a very reliable source.

Re: Crocs - 25/02/2014 02:20

Adele, there was bit in the paper last year about a survey they had been doing on crocs in the Baffle.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/fresh-water-crocs-baffle-creek/2130004/

Odd, no mention of crocs living here from the relevant depts.

I have seen pics of freshies up behind Miriamvale.

I don't think the one we saw was a freshie. It was only small so I wonder where the parents are? There is a lot of unused waterway down here for them to lose themselves in. If I was to go looking for them it wouldn't be in the main creek.

There are a lot of people who live with smaller creeks running behind their places that won't swim in the water. I still do but only down near the mouth. BUT there was one salty photographed enjoying the sun down at the mouth last year. shocked

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2014 09:30

This was the one that had me curious about how far south they go.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/m-croc-spotted-at-brisbane-beach/story-e6frfku0-1225925576637

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2014 10:02

As a General rule of thumb the Rocky/Gladstone area is about as far south as you will see crocs on a regular basis but they will certainly travel further south than this and the odd one has occasionally been known to set up a permanent territory well south of this.

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2014 10:05

I think the Nudgee one was a hoax or imagination.

They still have at least one in the Mary River near Maryborough city.

One was shot many years back in the Logan River.

They inhabit the western side of Fraser Island.

Unless I am in Tasmania I consider any water possible. shocked

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2014 17:01

Up here in the Kimberley it all depends on the water temperature as to where they will take up residence.
In the most southern areas along the coast the water temp drops quite substantially and its usually too cold for the crocs especially in the dry season .

Down Eighty Mile the water temp goes down to 17degs in around July.As they are cold blooded this seems to inhibate there range.

In the wet season they can go a lot further south because of the increased water temps and the odd one has been spotted as far south in the Pilbara as Port Hedland.

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2014 17:30

They had one recently at Carnarvon in the Gascoyne. Also several spotted in and around Ningaloo reef, coral Bay and Exmouth in recent years and no doubt they are moving in everywhere in between these days. The Pilbara is a big uninhabited mangrove lined coastline with heaps of little creeks and river mouths dotted along its coastline. Great habitat for them.

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2014 00:31

Yep Popeye your right there may be a few crocs around the Pilbara and I suppose as the sea temps get higher there might be a few more making their way southwards.

About that one in Coral Bay :"Mr Webb chair of the crocodile group with the International Union for Conservation of Nature, said such a journey was rare. said the crocodile may have been displaced from its home because of a fight with other males. Another possibility was that it was old and had become confused."

"There might have been the odd historical record of the odd individual crocodile going down there but it would be really unusual historically and in every other way," he said. "They probably couldn't survive down there because of the temperatures."

The water would have been nice and warm in April last year so yes probaly followed warm water current down to Coral Bay.

A bit of pity they just go out and shoot it didnt even try to catch it.

Re: Crocs - 03/03/2014 14:42

Saw an article with pics this morning from Queensland of a Python in a death duel with a croc and the snake won ....

Amazing even though the croc was originally in the water.Went on for ages too until finally the croc was constricted and or suffocated to death.
Just shows the hunter will also be hunted.

Re: Crocs - 03/03/2014 15:24

Here is the link with amazing pics of the duel.

Snakes strangling croc
Posted by: @_Yasified_shak

Re: Crocs - 04/03/2014 14:35

there is also this one i saw a while back, where another snake eats an alligator, however the Alligator is still alive right to the end!

The video is sped up.

Re: Crocs - 04/03/2014 15:09

Hard to believe how they can dislocate there jaw to engulf there catch.

Its amazing.

Re: Crocs - 07/03/2014 20:18

Off Broome.

Re: Crocs - 07/03/2014 20:46

Linky

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-...3-1226836741160

Re: Crocs - 08/03/2014 00:35

If crocs can surf then they better watch out for those nasty White Pointers...lol

Re: Crocs - 08/03/2014 00:44

LoL Desieboy.

Have a read of the comments section in that linky I posted. Seems not all WA people are rednecks after all and some of those commenting think Colon Barnacle is a clown too.
Posted by: Orebound

Re: Crocs - 20/03/2014 09:24

If crocs can surf then they better watch out for those nasty White Pointers...lol

Kowabunga dude!

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-t...t-1226859483191

Re: Crocs - 20/03/2014 11:15

Its definately true then......

Next someone will try and ride one...lol..

Re: Crocs - 20/03/2014 11:16

Sometimes you have to wonder if they do it for fun. I can't see it but you never know

Re: Crocs - 20/03/2014 11:30

Sometimes you have to wonder if they do it for fun. I can't see it but you never know

I have wondered that myself Brett, have seen them playing around in the shore break for hours.

Here's a couple of other shots from around Darwin...

This little fella is a known crab pot raider that lives in one of the harbour creeks..

A bigger one out at Shady Camp..

Re: Crocs - 21/03/2014 00:01

Love this one when they were moving the crocs to the new park out of town ..a few tourist got a shock many thought it was not real ....nobody could understand why they had to go right around
one of the main streets of town...maybe they needed some beer for the journey..

[/img]

Re: Crocs - 22/03/2014 15:03

Here is a few shots of the croc at Willie creek taken a few months back.

Going for an afternoon swim on the low tide...

[/img]

Sunbaking on the sandbank...Who is a nice looking, well fed croc then ?

Tides coming in, time to check out the other side...thought I saw some pelicans over there...Yum
Posted by: SBT

Re: Crocs - 28/03/2014 13:49

Sorry I had to drag this old meme I made a couple of years ago but it was funny at the time.

Fitsroy River Croc Identification Chart photo AllBeechCrocs1.jpg

Re: Crocs - 29/03/2014 12:32

Ok SBT I'll have to do better than that ...... wink laugh

Re: Crocs - 30/03/2014 23:40

OK you win wink

Re: Crocs - 11/05/2014 23:35

This monster croc over 5 metres long was dragged up from the other side of Roebuck Bay (Broome ) in the late 60s .Picture taken at the old iceworks near where the Catalinas are today.

Re: Crocs - 14/05/2014 19:36

No it wasn't. That's "sweetheart" which attacked outboards in the Finniss River in the NT in the late '70's. I still remember that photo vividly. He drowned when they attempted to relocate him.
Posted by: Hurricane force

Re: Crocs - 14/05/2014 19:55

Your right CF. The picture above is defiantly sweetheart.

Re: Crocs - 14/05/2014 22:27

Thats comical because that pic is amongst some from a pearling museum in Broome . It relates to the pearlers going croc hunting in the off season to suppliment their income e.g sell the skins..
The information was written on the back of picture and I got a snap of it when I was there recently. laugh

If what you guys are saying is correct then will inform the museum of the fact.Can you see if you can positively confirm it before I inform them ..Thx

Re: Crocs - 14/05/2014 22:29

Is that the one in the Darwin museum if it is I will send the pic to them and see what they say?

Re: Crocs - 14/05/2014 23:11

Yes you guys are right the pic is of Sweetheart I just seen the same pic on the net.I'd say thats where the pics come from ,mystery as to why they would have said it from Roebuck Bay ? I will investigate and let you know.

Here is another of Sweetheart off the same site during her capture not sure if she dead already though..Shes one huge crocodile..

"Buck Salau assisting Sweetheart the crocodile on the back of a trailer after being captured in In July of 1979 the Territory's most famous crocodile ..."

Re: Crocs - 15/05/2014 12:54

That is not Sweetheart. Sweetheart is still kicking on Green Island. Not that it will ever be official though.

Re: Crocs - 15/05/2014 13:03

That is not Sweetheart. Sweetheart is still kicking on Green Island. Not that it will ever be official though.

LOL........So they say!!

Re: Crocs - 15/05/2014 15:29

Yeah gotta love conspiracy theories. Or not.

Re: Crocs - 15/05/2014 16:02

No the real Sweetheart lives on the other side of Roebuck Bay..... poke

Re: Crocs - 15/05/2014 19:58

Crocs in Broome??? Nahhhh they don't live down here Desie. Those blow up ones you guys put in Willie Creek have been fooling the tourists for years. Nearest crocs to here is in the Fitzroy River. poke wink

Maybe another 10 years and they will get down this far. lol

Re: Crocs - 15/05/2014 23:20

Haha Popeye yes been blowing them up for years got it down to a fine art now... wink
The punters seem to be fallin for it so far ... cool

Ofcourse we don't want any drifting down towards your kayaking tours do we, as I heard you only do matra rays and turtles.... laugh

Re: Crocs - 20/05/2014 17:26

The mix up with the Sweetheart pic I was told must have come from a former employee from the museum who in 2007 downloaded pics of the net and printed them out and supposedly must of mixed up all the captions with the original prints ?

Anyway here is one they got of a croc in the bay on the low tide , that is from the old pearling days.

Re: Crocs - 22/05/2014 23:43

Two interesting croc stories from Darwin in one day not bad...

The first is about a croc handler who got bitten and nearly lost his hand after a croc who he had thought was tied up grabbed him by the fingers and gave him a bit of a roll... croc handler bitten

The second is about a Water Buffalo that manged to evade a 4.5 metre croc even after it had latched on to his rear while in the water and then escaped even after it had 5 other crocs stalking it .... lucky buffalo

Re: Crocs - 23/05/2014 18:02

Saw and had some very close calls working with crocs for nearly 5 years. You can certainly condition them but they will never be a pet as such.

Re: Crocs - 23/05/2014 23:45

Sure are right there Brett Guy ...I remember some years back when I was taking some tourist around at the Malcolm Douglas croc park and Malcolm was doing the tour .

He used to have a bucket with some chickens and fish inside to feed them and show the punters how they can leap out of the water.

We had moved to a new enclosure and just as Malcolm was going to throw a bouy in the water to lure the croc someone asked him a question .As he turned around to answer it this big 4 metre jobbing leap from the water and come hurdling himself at the bucket and grabbed it in his mouth.
The croc missed taking Malcolm's hand off by a matter of a few centimetres and he was a bit shocked because it was totally unexpected from that particular croc.

Malcolm had just finished telling everyone that this croc was one of the tamest in the whole park.... shocked

Re: Crocs - 24/05/2014 08:15

Close one. I always used to say they were the most trustworthy animal around and that you should always trust them to do something completely unexpected.

Re: Crocs - 14/06/2014 00:52

Unfortunately there has been another fatality up here in the last week out on one of the South Alligator River creeks. The exact circumstances are still somewhat murky to say the least but initial reports were suggesting the man was taken from the boat, not convinced but I suppose investigations will reveal exactly how events unfolded.

Sad event of course and will obviously once again ignite the cull debate but one would hope some perspective is applied rather than any knee-jerk policy change relating to what is essentially an iconic figure in NT tourism.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/06/08/11/40/search-continues-for-croc-attack-victim

Re: Crocs - 14/06/2014 17:31

Yes sad to hear of another attack in the NT.
They are supposed to be a little bit less active this time of year,must of been a bit of an opportunist attack by the sounds of it.
That many people up there this time of year it must be like a smorgasbord for any hungry crocs.

Re: Crocs - 17/06/2014 23:28

Heres a pic that I just rediscovered at Willie Creek in 2011.

I know this may seem a bit strange but every year we get Black Swans come into the area from the south ,and that's what is on the shoreline in the background. I had seen a croc take one of those swans early a few mornings after this pic was taken.

Re: Crocs - 09/08/2014 22:19

Clown.

Re: Crocs - 10/08/2014 19:28

Yes.....What an idiot!!

Re: Crocs - 11/08/2014 07:30

People like this are why we should allow crocs to eat people without retribution.

Re: Crocs - 11/08/2014 16:21

What a great pic it would make to see a croc coming at him from the side....

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 07:19

Another attack down the adelaide river.
http://m.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-ter...t-1227028542104

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 08:44

Apperently he was trying to retrieve a snagged lure/ hook.

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 10:03

And now they have shot a croc. Because a person did the wrong thingm

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 11:59

Always sad to hear that someone has been eaten by a croc.

But it seems like they have been teaching the crocs in the Adelaide River to preform to grab things that are dangled in front of them for the tourist boats and then when they do attack someone because they are right in front of them like a piece of meat they have to be exterminated for what they are being trained to do.

Something is not right there. crazy

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 12:31

It is being reported that he actually entered the water despite knowing full well it was croc territory. I find it hard to be sympathetic when the end result is a dead croc through no fault of its own.

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 18:19

....and due to its unusual colouring with an albino head it was reportedly a 1 in 100 million rarity.

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 18:46

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-19/pa...million/5681462

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 20:12

What a croc of Sh!te!! Looks like Pat Chappell the tour guide banging out a figure of 1 in 100 million needs to be a bit more realistic. Stupid media for jumping on that quote. Feel sorry for the fella. But he is a bit stupid wading out to unsnag a $5 rig.

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 20:14

Considering the Croc 'Michael Jackson' has been a regular jumper on the Adelaide Jumping croc tours says there needs to be some considerable management put into place. I don't know what do people think?

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 20:40

I have never agreed with the jumping tours. In my oppinion it will lead to someone getting killed in a boat. However this death was from someones stupidity of going into the water to retrieve a snagged lure. Nothing to do with crocs associating boats with food.

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 20:47

Yeah as with orebounds linked article it shows a big pile of discarded catfish at the head of the clearing. No wonder that croc was sitting there waiting for an easy feed. I guess he wasn't expecting a human to wade into the water instead.

Re: Crocs - 19/08/2014 21:02

Don't think the so-called "training" of them would have much of a bearing on the end result really. Fact remains that the very same outcome can and will occur on any of the hundreds of rivers and creeks around the Top End should someone be stupid enough to put themselves in harms way by venturing too close to the waters edge. It's certainly not a result of training that a croc is having a crack at anything near the rivers edge, they have been doing it for millions of years whether it be a bird, a pig, cattle, or in this a case a person.

Simple fact remains, people only get attacked when entering the croc's habitat so as sad as it is, given the significant number of awareness programmes, there comes a point when these unfortunate incidents can only be put down to Darwinism.

Re: Crocs - 20/08/2014 00:34

Training them to jump up to grab a feed may not have much to do with taking a human from a river but just maybe it has a lot to do with why they may be congegated in a certain area at any one time.
If the feeding of crocs can make them stay in an area for an easy feed then why wouldnt they just remain around the area and feed of whatever comes along ..e.g a fisherman who strays into the water??
Could happen anywhere I know but if your attracting them ,then arent you increasing the chances.

Re: Crocs - 20/09/2014 15:27

That proves it beer can cure anything including the shock of having being attacked by a croc..

Beer after croc attack wink

Re: Crocs - 03/10/2014 21:29

Any sightings of the Cable Beach croc lately desie?

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2014 00:10

I linked some of those historic photos you posted elsewhere Desie. Good pics mate.

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2014 01:00

Thanks ColdFront will see if I can't find a few more old croc pics lurking around the place from the old pearling days.

No sightings of crocs yet except in the usual places i.e Williecreek .
But the water temp here now 28 on the beach so that should make them start to get a bit frisky and maybe start moving around .

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2014 01:03

That would be good mate. Thanks.
Posted by: Jax

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2014 11:51

Never mind.

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2014 11:58

I was going to send you the link via PM but noticed I am on your ignore list so that would be a no.

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 13:19

Personally I don't think this is particularly smart boating .

Wouldn't take much to entice a croc to either tip or grab an arm that goes over the side of that small boat especially with kids on board.

7 in a dinghy in Kakadu

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 13:26

Yeah. I saw that one earlier on. Unfortunately people like this are the reason crocs get killed. Really should just be conducting an execution of the parents and giving the kids to someone with brains instead of killing the crocs.
Posted by: Golden State

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 14:04

What really puzzles me is the mystery that still shrouds that fatal incident in the middle of the year where the fellow was grabbed out of a boat. The lack of follow-up on that has been absolutely staggering .. there is nothing to be found re the details of the boat he was taken from, exactly what he doing / where standing at the time it happened ect ect ect... It's as though everyone involved just wants to bury it.

that attack was a total game changer in terms of how people should approach going out on the water up there.. So to see that story about a tinnie loaded up with tourists barely half a metre above the waterline just beggars belief...but it's hardly surprising given my earlier point re the door seemingly being slammed shut on that attack from the boat.

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 16:06

Sent you a PM about that other attack GS.

Meanwhile check out this video about the guy that was taken by the Albino headed one. Judge for yourself but I am fairly certain in the video she acknowledges knowing that the croc took their fish and it would appear her husband entered the water armed with that knowledge and felt down the line until what he thought was a branch was actually the croc and the rest is history. In other articles they state that these people were aware of the presence of crocodiles there. There are also signs everywhere.

Almost all attacks can be put down to human error.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...speaks-out.html

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 16:40

I certainly have sympathy for the rest of the family but absolutely none for the victim or his wife who seems to be pushing for a cull in response to her husbands stupidity. It takes a special kind of stupid to do what he did(and there is no way known that they didn't know about crocs), and he got no more than he deserved for his behaviour.

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 23:44

Originally Posted By: ColdFront

Almost all attacks can be put down to human error.

that is very much the common denominator isn't it ... the only one I can remember (very well actually because I had a bit to do with the coverage) was the one from about a decade ago up at Bathurst Bay when the guy was grabbed out of a tent at night about 40m from the shore..

Re: Crocs - 07/10/2014 23:53

I was told by a ranger at Coen that he had been out fishing all day on the sauce and didn't clean up. They dragged the boat up near the camp and left bait and fish remains in the boat. The ranger reckons the croc was more than likely swimming by and caught a scent of a stinky fisherman.

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2014 00:15

I was told by a ranger at Coen that he had been out fishing all day on the sauce and didn't clean up. They dragged the boat up near the camp and left bait and fish remains in the boat. The ranger reckons the croc was more than likely swimming by and caught a scent of a stinky fisherman.

ahhh well, there you go... When you sift through the forensics of probably every crocodile attack that's ever occurred on a human being, it makes a mockery of any claims that a cull is needed.

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2014 02:32

What about the bloke who went swimming in Wyndham port at night after a big drinking session in this area in 1980 when the old meatworks were operating . After all it was in the wet season and a very hot night.They did find bits of his jeans, and shirt washed up on the bank.
Now you cant say that it was his fault he got eaten ..... crazy

This pic was in taken in 2011 in the same spot with a very large croc cruising the waters.

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2014 13:27

MY personal fav is the bloke that got taken out of a canoe at lakefield about 5 or 6 years back. I heard he was dragging bits of meat behind the canoe to attract crocs closer so he could get photos(not sure if that was the official version though).
On the flip side though the saddest would have to be the young boy who got taken in the Daintree a few years back after following his dog into the floodwaters. Still human error for sure but you can't hold it against a kid. That one is just a tragedy. The rest of them are evolution at work.

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2014 15:19

Some interesting data and statistics from Charles Darwin University especially the fact that in proportion with the number of actual croc attacks, the number of fatal attacks has actually been dropping .

Since 1971, Australia has witnessed 99 attacks on people by saltwater crocodiles, of which 27% were fatal. On average that’s around 2.3 attacks per year over four decades, of which 0.6 were fatal. That’s pretty good going for a country with the highest river densities of saltwater crocodiles in the world, and an active human population that spends a lot of time in and around water.

Australian croc attack data. The stacked bars show total attacks for each 10-year period, with reports of fatal attacks shown in red and non-fatal attacks in green. The black line shows the percentage of attacks that were fatal in each decade. CrocBITE

Although the rate of attacks has increased in the last decade (4.5 attacks per year since 2004), the fatality rate has actually fallen since the 1970s and 1980s from 57% (1974 to 1983) to 29% (2004 to 2013). This probably reflects the greater proportion of crocodiles in the size range (around 3 m) that typically lead to non-fatal attacks. With an ongoing increase in the proportion of very large crocodiles, we might expect a greater proportion of fatal attacks in the future.

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2014 15:54

With an ongoing increase in the proportion of very large crocodiles, we might expect a greater proportion of fatal attacks in the future.

You mean with on ongoing increase in the proportion of morons.

Nice to see some bright ones are still out there.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/young-wildl...r-1227083572085

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 14:34

Here is the site I got those croc stats off. Meant to put it on last post but forgot. Has a bit of interesting info on it.

Croc site

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 16:36

How’s this for a holiday from hell? In 2013 a yacht drops a tourist on a remote island off the coast of Western Australia with 200 L of water, food, a tent and a canoe to explore the nearby inlets. But the moment he tries to launch his canoe, he’s confronted by a 6-m saltwater crocodile. The man scampers away in the nick of time and escapes to higher ground. Yet every time he tries to relaunch his canoe, the crocodile returns.

The man ends up spending more than a fortnight on the island flashing a shaving mirror at passing boats, while being stalked by a monster, until a sailor finally sees him and brings the ordeal to an end.

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time he told reporters after his rescue. wink

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 16:45

A. He's an idiot and
B. Did it really happen? Is there proof.

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 17:04

Yep definitely happened Brett.... actually got info when looking at another site about crocs, and read about it last year.

Here is 2 references though:

Tourist stalked by 6 metre croc

and more info on news video : news video on stranded man

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 17:07

That's not proof.

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 19:00

Must have been stalked by Sweetheart's brother in law.

laugh

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 21:06

The thing about crochet storeys is this. They are rarely true. Most are whopping exaggerations if not outright lies. The amount of 6th plus cross that live around the cairns region and just south is staggering if you listen to those who have apparently seen them yet there is never photographic evidence for some reason.

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 21:47

Plenty of 4-4.3 mtr crocs about and they are likely to be over quoted by some but to say flat out that there are no 6 mtr crocs in some of those remote areas across the Top End and in creeks on offshore islands would be silly.

Re: Crocs - 10/10/2014 21:51

Not at all. There are definitely 6m cross around. They are just very rare animals, even in remote areas. I may have seen one that size at Mapoon once but couldn't say for sure. No, i was just making the point that most croc stories are dubious at best. Take all of them with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Re: Crocs - 11/10/2014 05:12

Totally agree Brett Guy, 6M crocs are very rare and even 5M are exceptional. The guy who rescued him said "My boat is 20 foot long and he was well up on the 20 foot mark", his point of reference looking over the side of the boat at the croc would be the waterline not the length of the boat which is measured from bow to stern. A 20' boat would probably have around 17' actually in the water and his own words suggest it wasn't quite as big as the boat so in my opinion this suggests the actual size at around 14-16' which is a much more realistic and believeable 4.3-4.8M.

Re: Crocs - 11/10/2014 09:50

Given the reputation of some farmers around your region I wouldn't be using it as a yard stick Firepac. There were three shot dead just in Myrtle Creek in the 15 years I lived down there.

6.0 mtr crocs were supposed to be the stuff of legend until one turned up in the very heavily populated region of the Philippines a couple of years back. They are obviously still out there just very few. There are many very isolated regions across our Top End.

This guy in the news (who's tale I remember vividly Desieboy) should be given the same level of belief that BG has for his own encounter unless proven otherwise.

Re: Crocs - 11/10/2014 12:55

Yes maybe it was or was not quite 6 metre not going to argue that fact .All the adrenaline moving around his body at the time may of added a bit of size to what he was actually looking at. Theres a few 5 metre jobbies around the Kimberley though and getting bigger every year especially since they have been protected for the last 40 years.

The Kimberley coast’s Buccaneer and Bonaparte Archipelagos comprise more than 2,633 charted islands, 248 of which are connected to the mainland by mangroves, mud or reefs at low tide. Only 352 of the islands are officially named although some of the unnamed islands lie within named island groups. Not to mention all the hundreds of inlets, bays ,rivers and creeks etc.

Only if your seen the immensity of the Kimberley from the air and water would you understand how amazing it actually is.

Chances would be pretty good a 6 metre croc might be out there somewhere. But until someone actually has the pics to prove it, which would be hard,then it will still remains a legend.

Going to sift through a few old croc pics from the old pearling croc hunting days because I did see one hanging from the mast of an old lugger that looked over the 5m mark .

Re: Crocs - 11/10/2014 12:59

Maximus lives up near Whyndham on the Ord River. He's a monster. I will see if I can track down some footage of him.

Youtube Maximus

Re: Crocs - 11/10/2014 13:20

To give you guys a bit of an idea where you might find some good croc hiding spots .Heres one of the bigger islands in the Kimberley ,Irvine Island with a few small ones around it.

We have up to 11 metre tides up here also hence lots of mangroves and tidal flats.

Re: Crocs - 11/10/2014 15:23

The Kimberly is one of the wildest places left on the earth and would hold some very big cross for sure but I still think the gulf crocs have a better chance of reaching the truly big sizes. I am pretty sure they have a slightly different gene pool.

Re: Crocs - 26/10/2014 14:59

These guys were a lucky they didn't get harassed by crocs after their boat capsized.

Those EPIRB devices are the best thing made for boaties in an emergency.

Whether commercial or recreational its good to know someone knows where you are when things go pear shaped. Best to have them registered though so they know who sent the signal.

2km swim to safety

Re: Crocs - 28/10/2014 16:49

Another big boy on the mouth. Probably looking or one of the females Newman removed. So now we have a heap of crocs looking to take up territory that was vacated by a stupid government plan as well. Better the devil you know.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/croc-sighti...r-1227104305709

Re: Crocs - 29/10/2014 00:34

Pretty amazing footage of some Kimberley crocs catching a feed at Myroodah crossing on the Fitzroy River.

Crocs catching bats
Posted by: pogonantha

Re: Crocs - 13/11/2014 15:33

Sounds like the infamous Mary River croc was obviously just illiterate..I just love the following quote..

"The crocodiles have been targeted for removal as they are south of Boyne River near Gladstone, the legislated border of crocodile territory."

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014/11/12/4127176.htm

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 00:37

Big boy showing an interest in couple of fisherman in the Hinchinbrook channel. If it is as big as they claim I'm not sure I'd be standing up on a flat deck like they were when it came up near the boat. That's just asking for trouble.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-03/la...fishers/5937016

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 06:08

Saw the video. 6mt my ass.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 11:38

I'd have guessed around 4.0 but I didn't have my tape measure with me.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 16:36

Well. They guessed the head at 80cm. Applying the standard 20 percent over estimation that is ALWAYS given to crocs the would put the head at around 65cm long. As a general rule a crocs head is around 1/7th the total length so that would make the croc around 4.5m long. But let's be generous and give them another 1/2 a Metre. That makes a 5m croc. That is about 2/3 to 3/4 as big as a 6m animal. Big difference.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 16:55

There's a standard overestimation? LOL. It depends on the individual trying to sell their lie and anyone who was lucky enough to encounter a 6.0mtr croc would not be standing up in the middle of a flat deck boat. They'd be starting the engine and leaving. Not casting lures. They are not ALWAYS overestimated either.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 17:14

From 99 percent of people there is definitely a massive over estimation. I know crocs. I know how big they look and I have been subjected to more cap about them than you could possibly imagine. I would not trust anyone's estimation of a crocs size because it is so rare for people to be accurate that it just isn't worth paying attention to them. And yes. 20 percent is about the standard over estimation of length that I have noted. And that is with thousands of examples.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 18:04

I worked with them for 5 years CF. Just sayin.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 18:22

Link me to the documents for the 99% overstating size issue and the one for the genetically bigger ones in the Gulf and I'll have a read.

I always enjoy learning more about our apex predators.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 18:55

Personal observation CF. It is what I have seen. your choice to disregard it if you want. Everyone has the right to a lack of knowledge if that is what suits them. Simple fact is that I have seen thousands of random people try to estimate the size of crocodiles that I have personally run a tape measure over and the vast majority overestimate length by about 20%. If you have a problem with that then more power to you. But I don't think your resistance will change the facts.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 19:25

LOL. Ok .Facts with no figures or links.

That still doesn't help any with the genetics claim for the gulf crocs. I worked for Rob Bredl for over a year and had an entirely different experience. The tourists were always amazed at how much bigger the crocs were when they came out of the water. Must be different genetics in the tourists too ^ ^

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 19:39

Nah. The gulf croc genetics is a hunch. I believe it but have nothing to back it up. And I am not refering just to when they come out of the water. That amazement(as you would well know if you worked with Rob Bredl) is mainly due to the fact of how little of the croc can be seen when in dirty water with just the nose and eyes showing. I pulled the same trick countless times to scare the crap out of the tourists. I am talking about most often when the croc was on dry land in clear view. People usually overestimated by a large margin and were shocked when told the actual size of the animal. You should have tried that experiment CF while you were there. I did it for years and the results rarely changed. Unfortunately I didn't get to document them because a. I couldn't have been bothered and B. I was usually more interested in doing a good show and staying alive.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 19:43

This article we've been discussing is about a croc in the water.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 19:50

Everyone over estimates the size of crocs. Bit like the old fisherman stories......Worked with Croc's myself and studied the importance of them....Beautiful species..

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 19:54

I don't overestimate their size HF.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 19:56

This article we've been discussing is about a croc in the water.

True. But not a croc where only the eyes and nose were showing. t was clearly visible in all it's glory for an extended period of time.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 20:59

Yeah it is and if it's 5.0mtrs long then those guys have the biggest crab pot I've ever seen and the largest float . The shot near the boat shows a narrow midsection too, even magnified underwater which does not support a 5 mtr croc. They have massive girths.

"Brian" was 4.9mtrs long when this shot was taken.

Meanwhile the croc at Clifton is outsmarting its hunters apparently. They reckon they'll be lucky to trap it. What's more interesting is that it is now being claimed that the school teacher who claimed she was launched at may have fabricated her story to get them removed.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 21:19

Yep. That looks like a 5m croc to me(give or take). Bout the same size as old 'gregory' at my old stomping grounds. He used to let people sit on him too(although he did get a blokes arm once). I don't think most people realise just how much difference there is in sheer bulk between a 4 and 5 metre croc(let alone a 6m animal). We had 4 crocs around that size and all were massive animals although there were slight differences in shape. None however were what you would call narrow.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 21:34

One named Solomon grabbed Rob's niece Karla back in the late 90's .She was lucky it had lost most of its teeth but still made her very ill with infections for months. She also had the broken bones and internal.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2014 22:21

Heres one of the late Malcolm Douglas's 5 metre boys.

Interesting story of drunk fool a fews back to go with it.
Drunk jumped on croc

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 01:29

Pity they are all locked in cadges/pens!!!

What a huge loss to the ecosystem....

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 06:09

I kind of agree HF. In reality farms don't need wild crocs anymore as they are well enough established to breed their own but the fact is that due to the influence of the redneck brigade these crocs are going to be removed from the wild. At least a farm means they are alive as opposed to a bullet through the head.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 08:48

What ever happened to Gregory, Brett.?.I hope he hasnt ended up as a european handbag..the kids and us used to love watching old Mick sit on his back and put his hat on Gregory..

On the point of croc size surely a captive croc is more massive than a wild one so hard to compare based on photos..

I have seen a few crocs around Hinchinbrook but never seen one of that size or exhibiting such dominant behavior..that animal showed no fear of the humans/boat at all..hope I get to see him sometime..

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 11:02

Gregory was alive and well when I left mate. Still single though as he was pretty intolerant of the girls. Regarding the size issue though. Captive animals probably carry a little more weight than wild ones but even wild cross grow more sideways than length wise once they get over about 4.5m.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 11:06

If you want to see it I'd suggest you get down there soon because with the mentality this stupid government hold towards them he won't be there long. They usually end up this courageous through people doing the wrong thing by cleaning their catch at ramps. This one may have learnt to associate people and crab pots. It went in for a good look at the one in the video.

We had a 4.2 mtr male at the Edmonton ramp that never touched anyone but displayed this kind of behaviour so they took him out and the female he had as company.

This one attacked out boards and put people in the water but never took any of them. However you can understand in this case why they had to make the decision to attempt to relocate it. Unfortunately it died in the process. Note the massive girth.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 12:00

I kind of agree HF. In reality farms don't need wild crocs anymore as they are well enough established to breed their own but the fact is that due to the influence of the redneck brigade these crocs are going to be removed from the wild. At least a farm means they are alive as opposed to a bullet through the head.

Very good point BG.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 13:22

I have no issue with putting problem crocs in farms. Much better than the alternative, but simply removing them due to some ill-informed policy and on a broad scale is both ignorant and foolish. The people using kayaks in the Barron River in the belief that the water way was now safe highlights exactly why education is more important than eradication.If those guys in the Hinchinbrook Channel had been in Kayaks it may have been an entirely different outcome.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 16:48

Can't believe some people kayak up the Barron. I saw a reasonable size Croc there not long ago when I was fishing.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 17:54

People kayak up the Barron because they are mentally incapacitated. I fail to see how a croc taking stupid people out of the gene pool can be seen as a bad thing but apparently it is.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 18:37

The two last seen up there in Kayaks were tourists and were advised it was safe as all the crocs had been removed. Newman's stupidity is causing a false sense of security.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 19:53

Yeah I totally agree..if you use any vessel that has no sides or protection (ie..kayak) in an area populated by crocs then how could anyone blame a croc if someone gets chomped up in such a situation..I've noticed a worrying trend over the last decade or so of people moving up here from down south and complain whenever anything doesnt conform with their expectations of how life previously was for them..ie cyclones,wet season,crocs,work or seasonal variances of work and any other number of things..thankfully most end up moving back down south but they still manage to create some drama whilst they are here..

My wwoofers tell me there was quite a kerfuffle in the stingers nets at North Mission Beach today as a whopping 1m croc was trapped inside for a number of hours scaring away the tourists,till a wildlife officer showed up and wrestled the beast into submission ,taped up his mouth and allowed them to then hold him and pose for photos with the poor little critter...no doubt by the time it get into the Cairns post it will be a 3m maneater..

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 20:09

You reckon that's bad Pogo. We once had a sub 1m croc brought to us by NP as it was considered a 'problem croc'. I laughed so hard a bit of wee came out.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 20:36

Exactly CF- Newman's stupidity is defiantly causing a false sense of security.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching 3 blokes putting crab pots in the Daintree River and they were in a very small Yacht tender. Bloody absolutely ridiculous, especially when the alpha Male was sunning himself less than 400metrs away.

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 21:30

[img:center]http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/pogonantha/media/img_20141205_134155_zpsa8e5c99e.jpg.html][/URL][/img]

Here's a photo of the Mission Beach Monster that was trapped in the stinger net today(maybe a problem croc hey Brett}..notice how even such a piddly little animal has provided such entertainment for a number of tourists..it literally made their day..

Re: Crocs - 05/12/2014 22:05

Watched a doco a few years back and they had an ABC reporter in the boat at night .They were tagging small crocs. One a bit smaller than that one in the picture got hold of his hand. Smashed several bones and opened him up . Would have made the eyes water. Good idea taping the jaw down. Tiddler or not.

Re: Crocs - 06/12/2014 07:46

I've seen a few bites from cross that size and they can be quite nasty. Little cross have much sharper teeth that their bigger brethren and have a propensity to be very erratic when biting. I copped a couple of bite from gators around the Metre to a Metre and a half mark and they were pretty good as well but gators tend to be a bit more placid than cross so they didn't do any real damage.

Re: Crocs - 06/12/2014 08:56

I'm sure he could give a nasty bite..and quite fortunate no one got nipped apparently..The guys were quite surprised when a group of tourists surrounded the little fella near the edge of the water and he freaked out and went a bit mental and had a go at them..
Posted by: LightningGus

Re: Crocs - 06/12/2014 11:33

Had an interesting experience on the Mary River up in NT during the week while I was on holiday up there. Hired a boat and did a bit of cruising up and down the river. Stopped for a bit to drop a line and after about 5 minutes a croc rose directly up out of the water, surfacing right next to the boat. We weren't hanging around, so in came the lines and I high tailed it out of there straight away. Was in a 5 meter boat, the croc was a bit shorter (probably by about a meter, so roughly a 4 meter animal). Still a frightening experience, not one I'd want to go through on a boat any smaller eek.

Anyway here are some pics I snapped of a few more salties, taken at Yellow Water in Kakadu. (From the safety of a much bigger tour boat wink )

Re: Crocs - 06/12/2014 11:42

Great shots GusO.

Re: Crocs - 21/12/2014 01:03

This is what happens when your state government has a croc removal policy. It sends the message that it is acceptable to take matters into your own hands. Hopefully the punishment fits the crime.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...l-1227162777772

Re: Crocs - 21/12/2014 08:11

It won't. A slap on the wrist and a pat on the back is what he will get. Rednecks tend to rule up here too.

Re: Crocs - 21/12/2014 16:25

Cairns seems to be getting in the news for all the wrong reasons... frown

Re: Crocs - 06/02/2015 14:04

Our local Willie Creek croc loves his sleep ins this time of year. This pic taken last week

Re: Crocs - 13/02/2015 13:02

Most people wouldnt jump into the water this close to a white shark so why get so close to a crocodile that if given the chance, will eat them.

Stupid behavior

Posted by: Mick10

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2015 01:44

this croc has been doing the rounds about Townsville over the past few weeks.
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/new...b-1227217022773

been sighted at Pallarenda beach, magnetic island and as far up as the first weir of the Ross River.
Posted by: El Jefe

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2015 02:04

Originally Posted By: Mick10
this croc has been doing the rounds about Townsville over the past few weeks.
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/new...b-1227217022773

been sighted at Pallarenda beach, magnetic island and as far up as the first weir of the Ross River.

Way back in the 80's, me and some mates used to cast net for mullet bait in the tidal ponds between Railway estate and Hermit Park all the time. Up to our waists 3 to 4 days a week or more during school holidays! If I knew then what I know I now, I might've been a bit more hesitant about getting in the water. In saying that though, sightings have been few and far between in the T'ville area for longer than I can remember. My wife's old man used to tell of croc slides in the Ross River and associated creeks in Cleveland Bay, but until recently, it's been as quiet as! Time for people to start being Croc Wise I reckon.

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2015 02:14

yeah mate they are few and far between in waters around Townsville. usually they hang in the mangroves to the south around alligator creek and cape Cleveland, and the bohle to the north. but rarely you salties around Townsville itself. first big sighting was about 5 years back on maggie, a croc they called whitey. scared some tourists. then another stalked the strand for a few days about 3 years back now this one. they are very territorial so not surprised they are moving into less populated areas.

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2015 10:49

There was one hanging around the Saunders ramp 20 years ago. A mate and I put the boat in one afternoon and a couple of kids were sitting near the water's edge. We reminded them of the danger and were told where to go because there were no crocs in Townsville according to them.

A few weeks later were sitting well up the bank and one of them told as they threw a dead chicken into the creek that they found on the dump nearby and it was grabbed just a few metres in front of them by a large croc that probably had one of them on the menu. Just because you see them does not mean they are not there. There are plenty in the Haughton ,Herbert and Barratta Creeks (Spelling?) too so Townsville is very handy for them to rest up when they are on the move between the systems.

Re: Crocs - 16/02/2015 11:58

The bloody hysteria over the Townsville crocs atm is disgraceful. They have been described as aggressive, menacing, stalking maneaters. Grow up idiots. They are effing SWIMMING!. That's it. Honestly the level of stupidity in our society and media is scarey. And the chances are they will be removed from their home simply for being there.

Re: Crocs - 16/02/2015 13:42

well said Brett, it just stupid. its reported there are possibly 3 roaming around now. they are native and often transient between the rivers to our north and south. just more people out there with phones and the like recording and reporting them now.

damn jellyfish are bigger threat and you shouldnt be in the water this time of year anyway.
Posted by: Rigger

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 20:33

Amazing the sights you see in down town Borroloola ( NT )

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 20:54

Wonder what happened to him?
Posted by: Ronfishes

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 21:25

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/three-legged-monster-terrifies-top-end/story-e6freuy9-1225760931011

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 22:29

What a way for a croc that is many decades old to see out its days. Appalling. 5.5 mtrs long is a special croc and they harpooned it?

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 22:54

'Special' crocs that pose a danger to the general populace are indeed harpooned/captured/trapped and live out their days in captivity at local croc farms......with lots of lady crocs for company.....better than being shot dead as was the case until the 1970's and anecdotally what happens still in the remoter areas of the Territory away from Authorities prying eyes.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 22:55

I heard of another salty in our waters. Well up the creek where we were told 20 years back there is a big one living there.

Not sure if this one was reported, probably not.

The govt says no crocs here. People don't bother when the govt dept treats them as if they must have been pissed and can't tell the difference between a croc and a log.

And when they are given photographic proof of a croc they put up a sign and when they don't see it in the same place for a few days declare it gone. Where did it go? Certainly not up the creek. It must have read the blurb where we are croc free.

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 23:03

That croc was killed Rigger. Shameful.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/borroloola-monster-crocodile.shtml

Re: Crocs - 24/02/2015 23:39

Good old Parks and Wildlife officer doing their job for the community....not... should have left it alone...70 years old too .

Re: Crocs - 25/02/2015 08:13

Bloody disgrace if you ask me. Such an old Croc and a great lost to the ecosystem, which it plays such important part of.

In this day and age, parks should be able to successfully remove this so called problematical crocodile and relocate him. Surly they have traps big enough!! What a disgrace and a great loss.

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2015 20:28

Lads we'll have to agree to disagree.....'problem'crocs are removed if they are deemed to be a danger to the public. I fully support this stance. There have been several fatalities in the Top End in last few years ( some of these fatalities were the end result of drunken antics in Mr Crocodiles' back yard granted ). A tragic case a couple of years ago was an 11 year old girl taken at a wet season swimming hole in the Darwin Rural area. The simple facts are that the Saltwater croc, hunted almost to extinction has, since being protected in the 1970's, swiftly bounced back and is now a very common sight in waters in the Top End. Again, if the animal is deemed a threat to humans, the Parks and Wildlife mob are duty bound to remove that animal. In my experience the only ones shot are ones that are reasonably believed to have taken a life ( as happened last year ). There are between 100 and 200 crocs captured and removed from Darwin Harbor alone each year....Excellent work by Parks and Wildlife I say ! Being a fisherman, and a recreational waterways user myself, I have a VERY healthy respect for Mr Croc.....and a close call or 3 over 35 years......

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2015 20:50

Just because a croc kills someone does not mean it is a dangerous croc. I fully support killing truly dangerous crocs though. You know. The ones that come out of the water and attack people in the main street of a city or while they are in the shower. However when human error(and especially stupidity which is the most common factor), are the cause of an attack, then the crocs should be left to digest their prize and idiots should learn from others mistakes.

Re: Crocs - 26/02/2015 21:23

Hmmm prize? Not much of a prize when the alleged prize walked waste deep in the piss to retrieve a lure from a croc's mouth after seeing the croc grab his fish. Darwinism.

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 18:10

I can think of better ways to go.

http://www.news.com.au/world/thai-woman-...v-1227061011829

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 20:05

Bugger that. We used to feed our dead piglets around 10kg every now and again and the way they separate edible size pieces from the whole is unpleasant at best.

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 22:18

Just because a croc kills someone does not mean it is a dangerous croc. I fully support killing truly dangerous crocs though. You know. The ones that come out of the water and attack people in the main street of a city or while they are in the shower. However when human error(and especially stupidity which is the most common factor), are the cause of an attack, then the crocs should be left to digest their prize and idiots should learn from others mistakes.

I would respectfully suggest that if a croc kills someone, well by any reasonable definition that would classify it as 'dangerous' surely ? I do not propose hunting, or indeed taking of crocs for trophy or even culling....however I fully support the removal of potentially dangerous animals from areas close to human habitation. This is what occurs in Darwin and surrounds waters. And rightly bloody so !

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 22:28

Hmmm prize? Not much of a prize when the alleged prize walked waste deep in the piss to retrieve a lure from a croc's mouth after seeing the croc grab his fish. Darwinism.

That poor bastard was a storeman at Ranger Uranium Mine and was fishing at the East Alligator crossing, a notoriously dangerous spot. He tried to retrieve a fishing lure despite the frenzied warnings of tourists/spectators. I have heard ( anecdotally ) that an American tourist filmed the attack. I know this crossing very well and wouldn't dream of entering the water there......back in 1985 or thereabouts I think it was......

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 22:52

Got me stuffed why he went in. A $7.00 lure? At some point shooting crocs for taking someone who was aware the crocs were there but went in anyway is plain wrong. They should not have shot this croc.

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 23:20

Got me stuffed why he went in. A $7.00 lure? At some point shooting crocs for taking someone who was aware the crocs were there but went in anyway is plain wrong. They should not have shot this croc.

Generally they shoot the croc to recover remains for autopsy/legal purposes. Only in cases where a death has occurred is the animal shot. All others are trapped and removed to various croc farms. There have, in a very few cases, been fatalities amongst captured specimens ( the most famous of which is 'Sweetheart' who drowned after being trapped on the Finnis River in early 1980. Sweetheart was renowned for attacking boats and dingys and indeed chewing off outboard motors. 'Sweetheart's' stuffed remains are on display in the Darwin Museum....Big Bastard !

Re: Crocs - 27/02/2015 23:42

I know why they do it but it's still wrong imo.

Sweatheart is discussed in here a few pages back.

Re: Crocs - 28/02/2015 08:10

Actually rigger. Just because a croc kills someone does not make that animal inherently dangerous. No more than any other croc. A dangerous croc is one else that has placed itself in a position where it is specifically targeting humans or is living in a spot that makes it a risk to great to accept. A croc that has not done anything out of the ordinary but eats an idiot that serves him/herself up on a platter through sheer stupidity is not a dangerous animal. If I ran out in front of a car on the highway and got hit would you say the driver was a dangerous driver or would you blame my actions for the event?

Re: Crocs - 28/02/2015 19:35

Here's a pic of a croc trap at Manton Dam, south of Darwin

Re: Crocs - 28/02/2015 20:04

Originally Posted By: Rigger
Here's a pic of a croc trap at Manton Dam, south of Darwin

Don't try this at home, folks.....these girls are trained professional NT Boganettes.....
actually I know this trap fairly well, its near the dam wall and for the keen Barra fisherman, the deeps at the wall have some very big Barra waiting to be caught.....which leads me to the observation that Barra and Crocs live the same habitat and die hard barra fishermen seem to shut out the inherent dangers posed by saltwater crocodiles. now Brett and I are disagreeing on the semantics of 'inherently dangerous' the counter argument is that humans are perhaps 'inherently stupid' for putting themselves in harms way....indeed the croc is an apex predator and acts instinctively rather than say gaining a taste for human flesh. I too have observed them in the wild and they are opportunistic hunters and feeders.
I'm a riverbank fisherman ( an effing carefull one ! ) on the upper Adelaide River and have seen on many occaisions a croc with a big Barra in his jaws.
I was in a swag on the back of a ute at 4 mile billabong many years ago.....2 mates asleep around a dying campfire ( we had been fishing all night on a full moon in august so very cold ) some more mates turned up at dawn to join us and they brought a puppy with them ( a bit naughty as pets not allowed in Kakadu )Anyway the pup ran backwards and forwards to the waters edge ( we were maybe 15m back ) and a friggen great black croc charged out of the water, between the 2 blokes in swags near the fire and grabbed the pup and zoomed back into the billabong....all in the space of the blink of an eye..... I then had two blokes in swags plus the visitors, in the back of the ute tray with me....so now I always go fishing with dogs and kids, because the croc will go for them first before a chewy old middle aged bloke.....

Re: Crocs - 01/03/2015 07:45

I saw that picture last year. Pickled blonde Yummo says the crocodile.

Re: Crocs - 06/03/2015 21:22

Someone lost a dog in Cooktown.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-06/dog-taken-by-crocodile-in-far-north-queensland/6287296

Re: Crocs - 06/03/2015 21:40

Why would you let your dog play around in a river up here? Bloody disgraceful. People like that don't deserve to have a dog.

Re: Crocs - 07/03/2015 18:02

This is not a good practice ..hope he gets fined big time..

Croc kill

Re: Crocs - 07/03/2015 18:13

Don't worry about the fine. He should lose his license.

Gill netting is archaic.

Re: Crocs - 07/03/2015 18:20

Yeah I agree RF. Too destructive and here's the proof.

Re: Crocs - 09/03/2015 14:37

Interesting article. Be warned though, it contains common sense. smile

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/qu...nt-plan/6288210

Re: Crocs - 15/03/2015 12:16

Suspected Ivory Poacher taken overseas?

http://iolmobile.co.za/?_escaped_fragment_=%2Farticle%2Ftourists-see-croc-eating-human-1.1831829#!/article/tourists-see-croc-eating-human-1.1831829

Re: Crocs - 13/04/2015 17:11

Some guy got bitten on the leg at a golf course today in Port Douglas. I haven't seen any detailed info about it .

Meanwhile this is a cool article.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/beastie-a-bestie-like-no-other/story-fnnjfpar-1227301625445

Re: Crocs - 13/04/2015 17:17

I saw that. I wonder if he went I to the water to get his ball back grin

Re: Crocs - 13/04/2015 19:53

Too late to edit.
Apparently he did try to get his ball out of the pond..............Some people. It's croc country FFS. Water =Crocs. It's a simple rule to follow.

Re: Crocs - 15/04/2015 16:56

The guy said it was his own fault, and to leave the croc there.
He's also dropped 9 years in age since CP first report..(insert scariest croc pic you can find here).

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/up-to-10-mo...4679b8872d355bd

Re: Crocs - 15/04/2015 18:36

Yep. He regained my respect with those comments.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2015 16:45

Someone missing in the Endeavor river.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queen...s-1227375945660

Re: Crocs - 04/08/2015 16:42

Moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-uqquxw-U

Re: Crocs - 22/09/2015 13:30

Some may find this article as interesting as I did.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...921-gjrmv2.html
Posted by: Aikhme

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2015 10:56

That guy looks like he knows what he is doing but it was a huge worry when he sunk in the sand and fell over.
Posted by: ozone doug

Re: Crocs - 25/09/2015 19:03

Coldfront was correct .That guy would have been gone if he got stuck .Knowing what your doing means make sure you can move at least.

Re: Crocs - 30/09/2015 16:25

Yep that time of year again...Crocs are starting to get frisky and the water temps are rising around Broome at the moment ... Cable beach closed Monday after sighting .Today one seen at the causeway near the airport and on another at Cable beach heading southwards...probably into the Roebuck bay.

The croc here is about 10 meters from the Broome Highway...

Re: Crocs - 30/09/2015 19:57

Both captured alive and relocated either to croc park or elsewhere. 2 & 3 metre. Probably no sightings for another 6 months now. Last wet season there were no sightings.

Re: Crocs - 30/10/2015 20:54

Northern Territorians complacent around crocs ? I though wading in to retrieve a lure was perfectly acceptable? Said no-one ever!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-30/nt-croc-attack-inquests-bill-scott-and-lanh-van-tran/6899954

Re: Crocs - 05/11/2015 18:01

4 metre long croc found near Ti Tree on the The beach, on Southern Wik homelands between the Kirke and Knox rivers on Western side of the Cape York Peninsular.

Don't need much water to live in ... looks like a pigs wallow

Re: Crocs - 05/11/2015 19:27

I remember being told a story by a station hand of a croc found living in a cattle trough. It hadn't been near water since the last flood 18mths previously. Of course you have to take all croc stories with a fairly massive grain of salt but he seemed fairly legit.

Re: Crocs - 06/11/2015 00:34

Sound pretty plausible to me BG especially if swam up during a flood and had nowhere to go when it dried up. Pretty sure there was a croc spotted a long way from any permanent water supply during the floods around Brisbane /Ipswich floods a few years ago.

Re: Crocs - 06/11/2015 12:21

I've seen this in the past. Definitely plausible Desie. It would have been a great food source too until it dried right out with pigs coming in to drink.

Certainly more plausible than they took a huge croc to the middle of nowhere, dumped it in mud , untied it and took a photo wink

Re: Crocs - 06/11/2015 12:51

The bloke taking the photo with the tripod would have got the pic of century and maybe if he was lucky only shat his pants if that croc had a lunge at him from where it is there...

He is definitely within striking distance... wink
Posted by: rain gauge

Re: Crocs - 07/11/2015 13:05

I wonder how many people would walk past that croc and not notice it. lol

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 09:38

That would have given him a fright. Night time swimming is not a good idea for a number of reasons. Though crocs that far off shore are usually well down the list. Notice how the attached photo shows a very large croc. Gotta love the media.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/snorkeller-...r-1227633175741

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 14:14

Yep Coldie

He lucky he got off with minor injuries a 2 metre croc could have easily at the very least broken every bone in his arm not to mention serious lacerations to go with it..

Shining a torch into the crocs face and it let him go....
Might have to try that one if I'm ever in that situation..... wink

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 15:01

The CP pretty much got smashed in the FB comments after the headline on this article too haha.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lack-of-foo...r-1227630363643
Posted by: scott12

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 16:54

Didn't take them long to hunt the poor bugga down...

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/breaki...h-1227633739737

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 17:07

Apprently there are two small resident crocs on lizard but in reality at this time of year it could very well be a traveller that bit the diver. Always plenty in the ocean in early summer but jeez you have to be bloody unlucky to be bitten at lizard.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 18:18

Originally Posted By: scott12
Didn't take them long to hunt the poor bugga down...

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/breaki...h-1227633739737

Clowns.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 18:23

Originally Posted By: Ronfishes
The CP pretty much got smashed in the FB comments after the headline on this article too haha.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lack-of-foo...r-1227630363643

"lack of food" .....Ahh the media.

Re: Crocs - 04/12/2015 19:11

Sounds like the public not feeding them crocs enough up your way..... laugh

Re: Crocs - 12/12/2015 15:14

Maybe the same one Desie but crocs in holes like this are reasonably common across the Top End I have been told .

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/bogged-croc...m=trendinglinks

Re: Crocs - 12/12/2015 15:25

Yep CF.I Suppose the mud would be a good protection against the harshness of the sun over time.
Crocs are true survivors and no doubt that sort of technique would have seen them through many difficult situations from dry outs for thousands of years.

Re: Crocs - 12/12/2015 17:13

This video from April this year shows how fast a croc can react ...if your close and he wants to ...your got no chance... wink

Man grabbed by croc
Posted by: jjs

Re: Crocs - 28/12/2015 10:07

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scienc...c5092f5988eb629

Re: Crocs - 28/12/2015 16:44

Crocs love the big rains so they move into some usually inaccessible areas looking for an easy feed ...e.g doggys

Re: Crocs - 28/12/2015 16:51

Since my son and his mates were heading north for a fishing holiday I was drumming the watch out for crocs message hard. Do not go near the water.

Not sure how much notice teens take though specially when it is a fishing trip.

Re: Crocs - 09/01/2016 18:46

Good to see Elvis celebrating and having a great 50th birthday, even did a few rolls ...

Elvis's birthday

Re: Crocs - 13/01/2016 21:42

Woman should know better considering where she lives .

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-13/crocodile-attacks-woman-in-wyndham/7087114

Re: Crocs - 16/01/2016 00:40

If it is a key habitat for crocs sooner or later another will take up residence ....

"Mr Carstairs said the area where the attack happened was a key estuarine habitat and traps had been set to make sure there were no more crocodiles moving in to take over the dead reptile's territory."

Croc killed

Re: Crocs - 23/01/2016 15:28

"If it's flooded forget it"....Mexican take away.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-23/ca...as-safe/7109480
Posted by: Weary

Re: Crocs - 06/02/2016 15:50

Didnt realize there was a Croc thread, aplogies to those who have seen this on another thread
Stapleton Island, a vegetated sandcay abot 20k from the coast, 60k nw of Lizard I

Re: Crocs - 06/02/2016 17:27

Nice pic Weary

I may be mistaken but it seems to me that every bird in that pic has got their eyes on that croc ...
Maybe they just don't want to become his next meal... wink

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2016 12:25

Nice specimen. This guy has been trying to catch this one for a while.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/scienc...c38a3e0c4d7b52b

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2016 16:24

Should be good for his TV show. Probably get another 60 minutes gig from it. Wonder if there was any reason for taking it out other than for his ratings and reputation.

Re: Crocs - 15/02/2016 18:36

Apparently it was snatching dogs and starting to get a bit cheeky. Could be an excuse though as you say. I saw that 6o minutes gig. Couldn't believe they shuffled across the front of the trap with their backs to the water.

Re: Crocs - 21/02/2016 12:32

Walking along the Ross River first thing in the morning you can see small freshwater and some slightly larger salties in the same stretch of river near the rowing club/ Scouts/Girl Guides building. I haven't personally seen any big ones but the salties that I saw last year are about 1m long. People have reported dogs being taken right up near the dam wall as well so there must be a few bigguns in there as well.

Re: Crocs - 07/03/2016 17:41

Some woman has reportedly been bitten at Billabong Sanctuary in Townsville this arvo.

Re: Crocs - 08/03/2016 18:46

Pretty crazy stuff. 'Apparently' she was in a croc handling training course at the sanctuary. Needs a little more training on the practical side I would say!! She seems to have escaped any permanent damage and will recover, which is good to hear.

Re: Crocs - 08/03/2016 19:21

Hopefully she recovers well but from the footage i just cannot understand how she was grabbed unless she froze.
If that is the case i have to wonder why. Having said that though the footage was not the greatest and may not have shown everything.

Re: Crocs - 08/03/2016 21:18

Originally Posted By: Hurricane force
Needs a little more training on the practical side I would say!!

Assuming she stays crazy

Re: Crocs - 09/03/2016 11:29

Here's some pics I took on Yellow Waters ( Kakadu ) back in January

Re: Crocs - 09/03/2016 15:30

Great snaps. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Dawgggg

Re: Crocs - 10/03/2016 23:11

Some woman has reportedly been bitten at Billabong Sanctuary in Townsville this arvo.

Legit, Billabong Sanctuary is just over the creek from my place!

*Nome* made headlines for the first time ever lol

Re: Crocs - 11/03/2016 22:59

I remember a big bugger out at Corroboree like that fella in your 3rd & 4th shot. Sat there watching us in our tinnie for a good 15 minutes before disappearing... then we felt the boat rocking from side to side and heard him scraping under the bottom of the boat as he passed right under us. Scariest time I've had in boat by far.. bastidge was stalking us for a good long while!! We wimped out and motored upstream a good ways to get some clear water away from him! Big Bugger that he was!! grin

Originally Posted By: Rigger
Here's some pics I took on Yellow Waters ( Kakadu ) back in January

Re: Crocs - 22/04/2016 23:12

Quote from science magazine crocs live for ages

Have a look at this bad boy this hunter shot in Australia in the year 1957 – It was an 8.1 m (28 feet) long crocodile!"
Could this be the biggest croc seen in OZ?

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 16:41

That one is actually a roper river croc and closer to 5m. There is no photographic evidence of the big normanton croc. Actually i have yet to see a photo of a croc bigger than about 6.5m even though the official record is a tad over 7. But just imagine the bulk of a 7m croc. It would be astounding.

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 17:00

Quote from science magazine crocs live for ages

Have a look at this bad boy this hunter shot in Australia in the year 1957 – It was an 8.1 m (28 feet) long crocodile!"
Could this be the biggest croc seen in OZ?

Yeah it's a beast but probably some tricky imagery. Adding people well back always makes them look bigger. If you want your fish to look bigger hold them out front wink

That measurement you gave is the same or similar to the Norman River Croc in the southern gulf half a century ago. I spoke to a local who saw it and he said it was definitely up around the 25 foot mark and has seen many big crocs in the Norman and Gilbert Rivers in his 80 years.

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 18:17

Photographic trickery has been around as long as photography itself..I wish some photo's of some of these monsters included a tape measure run down their backs so we could appreciate the true size rather than the photographers ability..the amount of exaggeration when it comes to crocs is even more amazing than fish..

I guess the problem these days is that there are very few "remote" areas for a croc to live in peace beyond 4 metres or so...and the difference between a 3.5-4 metre animal and a 5 metre one are huge..I doubt there are many 5m or over animals left alive..

Brett, a 7 metre croc would have an amazing girth and how old would it be ...150-200 years, maybe more..?..I just cant see where it could live to this size and not be noticed /shot or captured..

Brett, you work with probably the biggest croc in captivity..It would be nice if you shared your views on Cassius...I've not seen him but from what I know he has been on Green Island for almost 30 years but has grown less than than 1 foot ..Is this true..?..how much has his weight and girth/size increased in this time..?....I was also wondering about "Gregory the Croc at the old Innisfail croc farm..my kids grew up watching old Mick sitting on the back of Gregory and putting his hat on head..it was stated that he was a 5 metre croc..do you know if that was correct and where is Gregory now..?

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 18:27

Originally Posted By: scott12 (pogo)
..I doubt there are many 5m or over animals left alive..

If they can find one over 6 metres in the Philippines then they are likely to be about in the more remote areas of Australia.

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 18:31

There are some old pics around with huge crocs tied up to the mask of the old luggers in the croc hunting days .They will hopefully be gauged well against the height of the mask .
A old pearler here who used croc hunt the off season says over 7 metres crocs definitely were seen and recorded .....

Just have to find the pics that's all... frown

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 18:48

Photographic trickery has been around as long as photography itself..I wish some photo's of some of these monsters included a tape measure run down their backs so we could appreciate the true size rather than the photographers ability..the amount of exaggeration when it comes to crocs is even more amazing than fish..

I guess the problem these days is that there are very few "remote" areas for a croc to live in peace beyond 4 metres or so...and the difference between a 3.5-4 metre animal and a 5 metre one are huge..I doubt there are many 5m or over animals left alive..

Brett, a 7 metre croc would have an amazing girth and how old would it be ...150-200 years, maybe more..?..I just cant see where it could live to this size and not be noticed /shot or captured..

Brett, you work with probably the biggest croc in captivity..It would be nice if you shared your views on Cassius...I've not seen him but from what I know he has been on Green Island for almost 30 years but has grown less than than 1 foot ..Is this true..?..how much has his weight and girth/size increased in this time..?....I was also wondering about "Gregory the Croc at the old Innisfail croc farm..my kids grew up watching old Mick sitting on the back of Gregory and putting his hat on head..it was stated that he was a 5 metre croc..do you know if that was correct and where is Gregory now..?

Hey Scott. Cassius is an amazing animal without a doubt. And at 5.5m he is a rare animal indeed but i would bet my house that there are bigger crocs kicking around out there. They just are not as common as many would like to believe. The gene pool of big crocs was thinned out in the hunting days. Places like some of the remote rivers of cape york and the western side of the NT would have some. As well as New guinea etc.
Apparently Cassius has only grown 3inches since he came to GI in 1987 but i would guess he has actually lost weight. He is well past his prime.
As for Gregory he was alwaus claimed to be 5.2. But i measured him once at just on 5. And he was BIG. Very heavyset.
As far as i know the biggest croc ever kept in captivity (at least for any period of time) was Lolong in the Phillipines at 6.2m.
Oh. And as far as i know Gregory is still at Innisfail. He certainly still was when i left. Such an awsome croc to work with.

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 19:09

There are some old pics around with huge crocs tied up to the mask of the old luggers in the croc hunting days .They will hopefully be gauged well against the height of the mask .
A old pearler here who used croc hunt the off season says over 7 metres crocs definitely were seen and recorded .....

Just have to find the pics that's all... frown

They are definitely out there and cunning. hence why a) they are not seen often and b) got to that length to begin with. In fact that guy in the Territory that does the docos reckons he has just captured a 5.5 mtr specimen in a billabong.

People often dismiss things simply because they didn't see it themselves Desie. When they make stupid claims that crocs are moved to remote locations for a photo shoot their credibility becomes redundant from that day forward .

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 19:43

You got any other info on that 5.5 m croc Coldie..?..who is the guy that does the doco's.....?....sounds interesting..

Brett,Thats a shame about Cassius..how does his temperament compare to Gregories...?..are monster size crocs more placid and predictable than the smaller guys as a result of years of domestication.....?...yeah Gregory was always a favourite of our kids ...the school used to also take them there each year as well as my family when they came up to visit....its a shame that its not a public attraction anymore..

For anyone that hasn't seen old Mick riding Gregory heres a video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYAaERcvzbA

I always noticed that no matter how casual old Mick seemed ,he always kept his eyes on the croc and always avoided the area between the crocs front leg and the snout..

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 19:49

You got any other info on that 5.5 m croc Coldie..?..who is the guy that does the doco's.....?....sounds interesting..

There you go mate. Note where it was caught and cassius for that matter. Desie put up a video a while back of a reported 6 mtr lizard over in the nth west.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-t...e54abefa98fdd5c

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 19:56

My guess is he will be making a doco on that big croc soon enough. Apparently that's part of what he does.

Re: Crocs - 23/04/2016 22:43

Desie I am fairly sure that file photo of yours is from the Pioneer River (Mackay) back in the 20's.

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 01:03

Yep Coldie judging by the clothes they are wearing which does look around that period.
Thought that author threw that pic in to authenticate his big old croc story but its a good old one none the less.

Yes think theres a few of those big croc stories/docs in the pipe coming up cause theres been a few film makers sniffing around the north west and asking about giant ones.
I got to get to the museum when I got time cause they got the pics from local papers 1890 to 2000 and somewhere in there is the real big bad boy.The only problem is that they have 214,000 pages to sift through. frown

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 01:35

I have seen a picture and remember it quite vividly but not sure where I saw it many years ago ....But I do have some ideas where it may be ...but I probably will not publish if I do find it ...
But its a pic of a massive croc swimming down the Ord River its head right out of the water with a dead Aboriginal fellow in its jaws.Very frightening stuff .

Pretty sure pic was taken by one of the original settlers in the East Kimberley area.
The story was they had been rounding up cattle near the river and had a photographer taking pics of their activities and they stopped on the banks to boil the billy and that's what they saw in the middle of the day..
Makes you wonder how many indigenous people were actually taken by crocs over the years..?
Posted by: samboz

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 09:03

Here's a good size Saltie from Topsy Creek, east side of the GofC in 2013. Guess round 14ft but hard to tell from 100m without something for perspective.

An 18'+ plus one would be a monster by comparison.

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 11:51

Nice pic samboz that's exactly around the size of the croc that we see at a couple of times a week on the mud banks at Willie Creek .

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 14:07

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about Scott when you talk about trick photography? laugh

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 15:40

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about Scott when you talk about trick photography? laugh

Hahaha. Thats awesome. I have to start doing that.

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 20:11

Hahaha. Thats awesome. I have to start doing that.

Yeah, that's pretty funny Desie...Can you do me one next to a croc now please..?

Re: Crocs - 24/04/2016 20:55

The one of you next to the fish wasnt enough Pogo?

Re: Crocs - 25/04/2016 16:46

What a way to wake up.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-25/man-survives-crocodile-attack-near-katherine/7355800

Re: Crocs - 25/04/2016 18:25

Nice pic samboz that's exactly around the size of the croc that we see at a couple of times a week on the mud banks at Willie Creek .

How long is he Desieboy, I'm inexperienced at guesstimating at distance on these?

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 10:59

Hi samboz The croc at Willie Creek is between 3.5 to 4 metres in length .
Yours look a similar size especially judging by the size of its head.

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 15:39

Thanks d/boy, (12-13ft) is there any correlation using the distance between the scales or peaks of the back and tail, I guess that varies also depending on o/all length.

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 16:40

I would have said between 3 and 4 metres, but it's difficult with no real gauge.

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 18:18

Tried to imagine 12ft tinny at that distance (round 100m) initially thought much longer !

Applied snake formula, divide by three and multiply by by two :D, this "snake" formula is more accurate the closer the observer is to the snake, espec. venomous species.........glance over right shoulder at gallop !!

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 18:24

Heres our bad boy in Feb this year but not a good size indicator because of the angle etc but we have had him right beside our boat so good a fairly good idea of his length then.

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 18:28

It's a nice solid looking animal mate. Big fat deposits on his neck. Very healthy.

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 20:16

Yes Brett he is a nice specimen in good shape..

He should be healthy as well , he has such a smorgasbord of food to choose from and not much competition.
For example he has got small Brumbies, wallabies,giant catfish ,pelicans and Barras on the menu every day and night..

Re: Crocs - 26/04/2016 23:12

Originally Posted By: samboz
Here's a good size Saltie from Topsy Creek, east side of the GofC in 2013. Guess round 14ft but hard to tell from 100m without something for perspective.

An 18'+ plus one would be a monster by comparison.

May 2015:

Re: Crocs - 27/04/2016 15:56

Good one Ron, don't know Bazz C. by any chance ?

To run the guesstimates on -> how long did you reckon it was, just for interest sake, not arguing with anyone cool

Re: Crocs - 28/04/2016 12:58

13-14ft at a guess. Biggest i have seen was near the mouth of the N Kennedy, felt like twice the size of our 12ft tinnie but guessing around 17ft.

Re: Crocs - 29/04/2016 17:52

Here's a big boy!!

Re: Crocs - 29/04/2016 18:03

Nice specimen.

Re: Crocs - 29/04/2016 18:09

That's a tank!

Re: Crocs - 29/04/2016 18:29

Hey BG, does a Saltie get born with a specific number of scale layers from nose to tail, or do they increase as it gets longer ?

Re: Crocs - 29/04/2016 18:47

I think(and i stress the word think), that the scale count remains the same. But don't quote me on that.

Re: Crocs - 29/04/2016 19:40

Thanks Brett.

Re: Crocs - 30/04/2016 11:07

does a Saltie get born with a specific number of scale layers from nose to tail, or do they increase as it gets longer ?

The scale or scutes grow proportionate to the crocodile and remain the same in number throughout its life (injury excluded)

Re: Crocs - 30/04/2016 13:55

Thanks cf.
Posted by: Purnong

Re: Crocs - 17/05/2016 19:56

This would have been terrifying

"A 72-year-old man fought off crocodiles by throwing spanners and spark plugs at them as he battled to save his drowning friend after their boat capsized near Darwin."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-17/ma...-darwin/7423130

Re: Crocs - 17/05/2016 20:20

I heard about that. Although i do wonder exactly where he got the spanners and spark plugs from.

Re: Crocs - 25/05/2016 19:34

Time to introduce big fines for cleaning fish at ramps in Crocodile areas.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-25/crocodile-climbing-onto-boats-trapped-in-the-kimberley/7444226

Re: Crocs - 26/05/2016 23:27

Yes CF agree the crocs are only hanging around that area for the scraps...can't keep relocating them..

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 07:09

Possible fatal attack near Cape Tribulation overnight.

Why the hell would you even think about swimming up there.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 07:36

Nasty. Swimming there period is crazy but at 10.30 at night is beyond comprehension. Will just be used as another excuse to cull crocs now.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 08:18

What could be better on a balmy evening than a few glasses of wine over a lovely meal by the beach followed up by a dip in the ocean on a deserted tropical beach..a holiday paradise for some...a meal opportunity for others..

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 08:37

Meanwhile a local accommodation business just a few Km's further along the beach serves up these words of wisdom...

"The fact is no crocodiles go near our beach – for many reasons and considering we have not had any sightings for over 40 years we can say our beach is “croc free!”."

http://www.capetribbeach.com.au/cape-tribulation-beach-house-truth-crocodile-attacks/

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 08:55

Anyone that displays a msg like that should be shot despite the fact they do suggest that swimming at the wrong time is silly

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 09:24

Meanwhile a local accommodation business just a few Km's further along the beach serves up these words of wisdom...

"The fact is no crocodiles go near our beach – for many reasons and considering we have not had any sightings for over 40 years we can say our beach is “croc free!”."

http://www.capetribbeach.com.au/cape-tribulation-beach-house-truth-crocodile-attacks/

That's disgraceful.

Meanwhile if she is proven to be taken by a croc that would be the third fatal attack in Queensland in over 20 years. Hardly a massive risk are they? Like the previous two, this one would be put down to gross human error.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 10:23

Totally correct Coldie...most attacks occur as a result of stupidity...or believing the tripe in the beach house article...

Don't hear too many folk wanting to cull Australia's most dangerous animal...Horses cause 7-8 times more fatalities than crocs..

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 10:55

That's disgraceful.

Meanwhile if she is proven to be taken by a croc that would be the third fatal attack in Queensland in over 20 years. Hardly a massive risk are they? Like the previous two, this one would be put down to gross human error.

Might even be the first death by a crocodile off a "Queensland Beach" ? Rather than a typical attack/death in their preferred habitat?

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 11:50

You may well be right HF..assuming as Coldie has stated that it is actually is proven to be a croc attack..

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 14:19

It's been verified. 10pm at night .What a muppet. Sorry but this sort of ignorance sh!ts me to bits. Apparently her friend who heard her scream out "help,a croc's got me" is from Trinity Beach ,so why on earth did she allow her friend to enter the water? I cringe whenever I hear of these attacks and mostly for the pressure it puts on our wildlife. Sure ,no-one wants to hear people are being taken by crocs but this has Darwinism all over it.

HF, I am fairly certain that a few decades ago a person was taken off the beach at Cardwell swimming at night. I was told about a pub owner up there telling people there were no crocs in that areas and they'd all been shot out before taking a dip to prove his point. It too was at night apparently. Maybe just pub gossip though, who knows?

I think the one that grabbed a guy and dragged him before a grandma shot it in the head was off the beach at Bathurst Bay too from memory.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 15:00

Thornton Beach may not be what many would consider classic crocodile habitat but it is a short beach nestled neatly between two creeks that are very classic territory. And to be honest I have not heard whether it was on the beach proper or right next to one of those creek mouths. Whatever the case may be it is a classic case of ignorance/arrogance once again causing the problems. I feel for the victim and her family but really hope common sense prevails and no crocs are taken or killed needlessly.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 15:36

Yeah Google earth measures 3.8kms between those two creeks. I think that would make Thornton Beach well within the territory of any croc that inhabited that area. 4kms in under an hour easy. Crocs up this way near Broome have been measured traveling 20-30kms overnight between creek systems/sightings of the same croc.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 16:54

I think someone may even run croc spotting tours in Coopers creek at the southern end of the beach..

and I heard mention that a 4m+ animal has been seen around there recently...

Crazy behavior..!

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 17:01

I think the one that grabbed a guy and dragged him before a grandma shot it in the head was off the beach at Bathurst Bay too from memory.

Nah mate , it was another dude shot it after it grabbed a guy out of his tent while he was sleeping in the night...the grandma jumped on top of the croc and it released the other guy and grabbed her by the arm,doing horrible damage and nearly twisting it right out of the socket....one brave lady...

I remember being a bit annoyed that some other nearby campers were throwing all their crab scraps in the water off the beach at Bathurst Bay..its serious croc country up there..

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 17:21

Didn't they nickname her super granny...lol

I agree BG. Hopefully they don't kill the croc.

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 17:41

I heard that she said she only did it because she thought it was her son. Had she realised it was her son in law she might have had second thoughts smile

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 18:13

That page has been taken down now, Probably a wise move given the circumstances

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 19:07

Originally Posted By: Purnong

I wonder if the croc victim was staying there..Could have liability considerations if so...Did anyone get a screenshot of that page..?

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 20:10

Originally Posted By: Purnong

I wonder if the croc victim was staying there..Could have liability considerations if so...Did anyone get a screenshot of that page..?

You can just copy the link and paste in the website below to see the cached version of the page

http://cachedview.com/

Pretty hard to delete something from the internet smile

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 20:14

Thanks for that Purnong..I had no idea.
Posted by: dormant

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 20:26

Real clever site, Purnong, worked like a dream.
And thanks Pogo for the link here.
Strange, strange, happening. I did think it couldn't be a local but what the heck, one from Trinity Beach? Crocs go cruising by at Ellis Beach and Palm Cove.
Always amazes me how city folk, aka Cairns, claim, Oh leave them alone, they were here first. But hey, Cairns was covered in swamp and managroves AND crocs before humans. And now because of co-existence, they're moving closer and closer to populated areas.
Certainly madness to swim up here any time. I'd think twice before fishing off the beach, need eyes in the back of my head or a spotter.
Posted by: synopig

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 20:51

Kewarra Beach is also the classic, cradled between two creeks. Have on many occasions seen crocs cruising aprox 20m out from beach between the creeks at night, highlighted by the beach lighting. Following a sighting of a 3m+ the night before, we advised a male tourist (staying at the resort) watching his wife and 3 kids swim at the mouth of Deep Creek of our sighting the night before ... god knows what they are telling guests at the resort. Its only a matter of time here as well....

Re: Crocs - 30/05/2016 23:07

Basically it boils down to the fact that if you swim at night in the Top End for whatever reason your increasing your chances of being taken by a croc big time.

Re: Crocs - 31/05/2016 15:29

Not too smart really but sad nevertheless.

Could happen anywhere in the north, almost surprised it hasn't happened around this area with all the backpackers and campers etc.

croc attack victim
Posted by: AKM80

Re: Crocs - 31/05/2016 18:38

And as was always going to happen...... Let's cull the crocs because of another idiotic decision by a human to swim in an environment where crocodiles are known to be present. For F sake..... Yes it's a tragedy but in no way is it the animals fault?

Re: Crocs - 31/05/2016 20:55

The media are to blame for a lot of the bad press on these magnificent animals. All they have talked about today is how she was visiting a friend who is a recovering cancer sufferer. WTF? What does that have to do with the fact she was swimming at night in croc waters? Heart string dribble. They'll milk it for all they can. T

he leeches were interviewing the poor bugger that lost his wife on Everest while her bodies was still to be recovered. They make me sick. The guy was clearly shattered on the commercial for their shameful show.

Meanwhile not a croc but a relative. Check this big boy out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/giant-alligator-stalks-florida-golf-course/7463668

Re: Crocs - 31/05/2016 22:52

...and of course the traps are in place. What a joke.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...531-gp8adv.html

Re: Crocs - 01/06/2016 07:37

I wonder if there would be grounds for legal action by the coopers creek croc tours if and when there attractions are removed?

Re: Crocs - 01/06/2016 09:19

They certainly should be compensated if the larger animals are removed..but who would you sue...the victims family..?

BTW how much longer will the authorities be hassling the local wildlife and people up there if they don't find her remains..?

It seems we have quite a few Bob Katter supporters down this way..a photo of a croc sunning on Garden island beach was put up on the local council facebook page yesterday and now half the population want to shoot them all....typical hysterical reaction by halfwits..

https://www.facebook.com/cassowarycoastregionalcouncil/?fref=nf

Re: Crocs - 02/06/2016 16:24

And now they have caught a monster 2.5m viscous bloodthirsty murderous beast in the area. What a croc.

Re: Crocs - 02/06/2016 18:28

This article makes lots of sense..

Staying safe in croc country

Re: Crocs - 03/06/2016 18:59

Well researched article there Desie..

Anyway it sounds like they have killed the poor bugga..oh man, its just so sad..there was just absolutely no need..

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/...ocid=spartanntp

Re: Crocs - 03/06/2016 19:26

Grubs. Killed as punishment for the stupidity of others. Makes me sick. I remember when both the child was taken on the Daintree River and Arthur Booker up in the Endeavour River , both sets of relatives said they did not want the crocodiles killed and accepted that gross misjudgement by people was the cause.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 12:09

I cant think of anything worse than doing the autopsy on that Croc they caught and killed. It seems it was the one likely responsible after human remains were found in its stomach.

It must have been a horrific last few minutes of life for that lady. Wrong place at the wrong time.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 13:23

Apparently this woman's relatives requested the croc not be killed also. So the authorities have denied their request.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 18:00

I guess relatives from New Zealand don't have much of a say in it when a multi million dollar tourism destination is tarnished with a fatal croc attack in peak tourism season. No doubt numbers to the area will take a hit for the short term. Maybe removing it alleviates this somewhat. Maybe the police and rangers needed to be sure it was an attack and not some other mysterious vanishing person. Having closure is good. Not for the croc though. No doubt the croc was just going about its usual habits/movements when it had an irresistible option of a swimmer presenting itself right in its path.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 18:30

"Maybe the police and rangers needed to be sure it was an attack and not some other mysterious vanishing person."

You know, I never really thought of that..I guess that is a consideration when there is only one witness..

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 18:56

Yeah it makes sense.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 19:06

Corroborates the ladies friend and proves to a large extent the "Cause of Death" which is evidence needed for the State Coroner to make a finding.

Very unfortunate thing for the deceased and her family.

As far as the nearby accommodation pushing the safe beach angle, they need "sorting". Publicity like that breeds disregard for natures creatures and talks down the risks that exist.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 19:11

As far as i know they killed the croc AFTER finding the initial remains. It can be done by flushing the animals stomach with a hose. If that is true it still sounds like a pointless revenge killing.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 19:24

As far as the nearby accommodation pushing the safe beach angle, they need "sorting". Publicity like that breeds disregard for natures creatures and talks down the risks that exist.

It will be interesting to see if anything ever happens about that sign. They are certainly culpable to some degree.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 19:27

As far as i know they killed the croc AFTER finding the initial remains. It can be done by flushing the animals stomach with a hose. If that is true it still sounds like a pointless revenge killing.
Oh ok I didn't realize they already found what was left of her body....did they trap or shoot the croc..?

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 19:38

You mean the backpackers at the next beach to the north that claims its "croc free"..?..haha..seems some folk will say anything to make an extra buck..its a preposterous claim and in response to an email to them ,despite them removing their webpage,they insist that there has never been a croc there in 50 years at least ....its such a dangerous message to send to impressionable tourists...

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 20:05

Oh ok I didn't realize they already found what was left of her body....did they trap or shoot the croc..?

Trapped the croc initially. Then as i understand it they found remains and then shot the croc.
Not saying this is accurate though. We all know to take any media story with a grain of salt. Especially those involving crocs.

Re: Crocs - 04/06/2016 20:25

From the accom. House site - ( I somewhat cherry picked the page ) -

" The fact is no crocodiles go near our beach – for many reasons and considering we have not had any sightings for over 40 years we can say our beach is “croc free!”

"Now in November 2006 there was an attack in Cape Tribulation – but before you start to worry, let us look at this in detail."

"When the injured Belgian finally made his way in to the pharmacy it became clear that the bite was not all that serious, though the whole ambulance and police circus still made their way up to Cape Tribulation, a 1.5 hour trip from the nearest town Mossman."

"Cape Tribulation locals were annoyed with the stupid behavior."

Reference to "circus" for the Emergency Service personnel responding is pretty low brow IMO and doesn't do them any credit.

Put this shortcut - http://www.capetribbeach.com.au/cape-tribulation-beach-house-truth-crocodile-attacks/

Into this cache site - http://cachedview.com/

Do a google search where indicated to get to the original page taken down now, but visible here -

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.capetribbeach.com.au/cape-tribulation-beach-house-truth-crocodile-attacks/

Thanks to the poster who mentioned the cachesite smile

Unless there is a demonstrated nexus between the Accom. page and the deceased's actions they probably wouldn't be civilly liable CF, but who knows what will come of this.

BG - much more "direct evidence" if the animal is trapped, shot, removed to Lab. and PM to find remains...better for the Inquest than trying to flush the croc. insitu or in the area I'm guessing.

Re: Crocs - 05/06/2016 07:08

Yeah Samboz. I agree that is probably the reason but personally i don't agree it should happen that way. That is just my oppinion though

Re: Crocs - 05/06/2016 10:27

Another will take over the spot Brett, no shortage of them if you believe the media reports.

Mankind culls the problem animal, this is another example.

Re: Crocs - 05/06/2016 12:09

Absolutely disgraceful that the croc was shot. Makes my blood boil.

Re: Crocs - 05/06/2016 18:24

Another will take over the spot Brett, no shortage of them if you believe the media reports.

Mankind culls the problem animal, this is another example.

Not necessarily just one. Big crocs are extremely intolerant of competition and when you remove a big dominant male it is likely he will be replaced by more than one smaller but no less dangerous crocs. I think taking the big ones is about the worst thing you could do. To be honest. I have always found the smaller 3.5m males to be the most dangerous anyway.

Re: Crocs - 05/06/2016 18:58

I have always found the smaller 3.5m males to be the most dangerous anyway.

How much difference is there in terms of bold ,aggressive behavior towards humans from the different sexes and sizes of crocs and at what size do you believe they start to see adult humans as prey..?..pretty general question of course but any ideas..?

Re: Crocs - 05/06/2016 19:19

I have always found the smaller 3.5m males to be the most dangerous anyway.

How much difference is there in terms of bold ,aggressive behavior towards humans from the different sexes and sizes of crocs and at what size do you believe they start to see adult humans as prey..?..pretty general question of course but any ideas..?

I always tell people it is like the difference between grandpa and a teenager. Granpa is wise, experienced and patient. He will wait for the good opportunities. The just mature males are the teenagers. Full of hormones' fast, impatient and frankly just idiots(no offense to any teenagers smile ). To get attacked by the big ones you generally have to make a big mistake. To get attacked by the little one you only have to make a little mistake.
As for how big they have to be... That is arguable but i would say anything over 3m is a serious contender. And they are also more likely to come and check you out for territorial reasons than small crocs.
I have to say t hi ough that my oppinion is based on working with captive crocs not wild crocs.

Re: Crocs - 27/06/2016 16:49

Thanks for that Brett..

You really have to wonder about peoples parenting skills...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...stands-her.html

Re: Crocs - 28/06/2016 18:25

Thick parent. That article went viral around the country yesterday.

Re: Crocs - 07/08/2016 09:17

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-06/ka...rescued/7697654

Re: Crocs - 07/08/2016 09:42

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...97f098c02cc6a58

Re: Crocs - 06/09/2016 16:31

This will give the tourist something to talk about ....

Crocs at Cahills Crossing

Re: Crocs - 07/09/2016 19:40

That's very cool Desie..I'd love to see a whole gang (?) of crocs hanging out like that..down here I've only ever seen random lone crocs..and they are quick to swim away once you get close to them..

Re: Crocs - 08/09/2016 16:13

Yes Scott never seen more that a few at a time except at Ivanhoe Crossing via Kununurra .
Certain times in the year the mullet gather near the crossing and the crocs wait on the other side for the tide to rise for a feed.

Re: Crocs - 08/09/2016 17:06

They actually come from long distances for that Mullet feed. Attenborough did a doco on it years back and how Cahills Crossing is unique for that gathering.

Re: Crocs - 13/09/2016 06:07

More like retards:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157285673875411&substory_index=0&id=384391795410

Re: Crocs - 13/09/2016 08:05

Yeah and that councillor is a redneck hick. I heard his name mentioned a week or so ago regarding croc removal. Absolute twit.

People that don't want the wildlife in Cairns could always move themselves. They piss me off when they move to an area then want anything that makes them uncomfortable removed.

Re: Crocs - 02/10/2016 23:16

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-02/brazen-encounter-at-top-croc-spot/7892792

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2016 12:12

Yes CF madness really ...woman looks a bit under the weather to me??

Maybe if the crocs get sick of eating fish ...a couple of those idiots may end up on the menu.

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2016 21:22

The extended footage I have seen from the thonging lady shows the croc had eyes for the dog mainly. No doubt if she had of got in the way it would of done its best to drag her down. But interesting how it was so attracted to the dog.

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2016 21:59

Not surprising though Popeye. Despite being able to take down large prey crocs would much prefer to take something small and easy. Large prey are potentially dangerous and unnecessary. Small prey are easy and sufficient.

Re: Crocs - 04/10/2016 22:32

Originally Posted By: Popeye
The extended footage I have seen from the thonging lady shows the croc had eyes for the dog mainly. No doubt if she had of got in the way it would of done its best to drag her down. But interesting how it was so attracted to the dog.

Perfect target size. They've been filmed going around people to take their dogs. They also take plenty of feral pigs in the same size range and make light work of them.

Goggle "crocodile takes dog" and there are some pretty full on vids there including one in the NT where a 4mtr plus specimen goes behind a fellow to grab one of his dogs.

They've long said if you ever find yourself in a position where you must cross a creek that you should throw your 4 legged companion in first.

Re: Crocs - 30/10/2016 11:50

It seems only a minority of Queenslanders are rednecks according to this poll. Most of the comments in the Australian and Courier Mail were anti shark culls too the past week. Good to see more and more people are waking up to the fact that people need to take some responsibility for their own actions.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...029-gsdvqi.html

Re: Crocs - 01/11/2016 20:43

This snappy little bugga would give you a fright....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQgW-wDkC4Y

Re: Crocs - 03/11/2016 11:50

I wonder how this woman can legally keep crocs in her surburban Melbourne backyard...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7-njtyh_Y

Re: Crocs - 04/11/2016 07:59

It's a shame this guy isn't the federal environment minister. He certainly has a lot more common sense than the idiot at the helm now.

I still remember his statement after his son was taken, accepting responsibility for the attack.

http://www.newsport.com.au/2016/november/stop-blaming-the-crocodiles-victims-father/

Re: Crocs - 06/11/2016 12:34

Lucky it wasn't a saltie....

Slipped onto a croc

Re: Crocs - 01/01/2017 15:06

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...c6a1ea01c1804f4

Re: Crocs - 01/01/2017 20:08

Good photo on social media of the barrier made out of wheelie bins and bales. Only in the north smile

Re: Crocs - 02/01/2017 07:00

Here's the photo's RF.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...231-gtkcd3.html

Re: Crocs - 02/01/2017 11:53

Haha cheers CF, too funny.

Re: Crocs - 20/01/2017 09:00

Another death by croc and stupidity

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-20/cr...rossing/8196730
Posted by: Thrombus

Re: Crocs - 20/01/2017 10:43

You can't tell me the decision to shoot that croc is any worse than the decision to wade across the crossing. I'm flabbergasted. This guy knew the area, knew the risk and tried to cross anyway... Hard to believe he lived to 47 years old

Re: Crocs - 20/01/2017 11:30

Darwinism.
Posted by: Mike Hauber

Re: Crocs - 23/01/2017 14:39

I visited that location years ago and my nerves couldn't take the risks people seemed to be taking while multiple crocs were clearly visible.

Re: Crocs - 23/01/2017 19:57

Yeah it is notorious for crocs and some of the video of cars being washed off the causeway and people walking through knee deep water have me scratching my head at the stupidity of some people.

Re: Crocs - 19/03/2017 12:49

Originally Posted By: Mike Hauber
I visited that location years ago and my nerves couldn't take the risks people seemed to be taking while multiple crocs were clearly visible.

Like this total moron?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...318-gv19fj.html

Re: Crocs - 20/03/2017 22:43

Wow total moron is too good CF..

http://www.9news.com.au/National/2017/03...r?ocid=9newsbfb
Posted by: Foehn Correspondent

Re: Crocs - 23/03/2017 21:56

And then Channel 9 give the bloke $7000 to tell his story. WTF

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...022bf63e9c934ff
Posted by: Terrano

Re: Crocs - 24/03/2017 13:25

They caught the crocodile off the Innisfail Wharf this morning and he was BIG...

Re: Crocs - 24/03/2017 17:59

Originally Posted By: Terrano
They caught the crocodile off the Innisfail Wharf this morning and he was BIG...

I would say they caught 'a' croc off the innisfail wharf. I have my doubts as to it being the one that grabbed the young fella. His injuries don't quite represent what a 4m croc is likely to do to a human arm

Re: Crocs - 24/03/2017 18:10

Originally Posted By: Terrano

Whats going to happen to this croc ?

Don't say he is going to be sacrificed for the stupid actions of some young jerk..

Re: Crocs - 29/03/2017 16:52

Broome also getting into the killing fields ...

I like the way they say that they had no option but to shoot it after attempts to trap the animals it failed .

What a load of [censored].

The crocs were too smart to go into the traps but one escaped so I guess the you beaut markmans will be at every headland waiting for the poor animal to come swimming past.

Great for tourism ..not.. "come and watch the dead crocs floating around"..

Croc shot dead in Broome

Re: Crocs - 30/03/2017 02:50

I spoke to one of the shire workers this morning at Cable Beach and they were the ones who saw it when mulching and planting at the Surf Club. A dozen people in the water, surfers, a family with kids on boogie boards and the croc on the surface and swimming directly towards them. The guy sprinted down the beach to warn them and get out. He seemed pretty legit and very concerned about what he saw.

I am not sure if what may have happened would have been great for tourism Des. There comes a time when if a croc shows an aggressive approach like it did and it has been hanging around for several months then something needed to be done. Its unfortunate for sure but it was very close to being an incident on Cable Beach. The other one is the fella from Willie creek coming out to chase this one down. He has done this now a number of times over the years and is responsible for quite a few of the media publicity of crocs in Broome. I know the Croc at Willie Creek is a bit of an attraction for Willie Creek but when tourist numbers drop after a potential attack no doubt they will be complaining and wondering why numbers of visitors to town have dropped.

Re: Crocs - 31/03/2017 01:57

Hey Pops I hear what your saying but I'm afraid I disagree on some points.

Funny that story about a croc approaching swimmers/surfers never made into the media because would have made a great story.

Usually stories like that we see on FB as well.

Not sure if I'd believe that account myself ,maybe cause the croc was moving it may have seemed like it was going towards the people.

Might have to check the webcam for that one..

They said the croc was reported one day before they tried to trap it with several attempts .What did they do tow the trap right in front of the croc and expect it to get it...several times ...

One day is not a long time to try a trap a croc especially if its had a feed recently, they can go a long time without eating.

Also they said they shot dead the croc,in that case why has its body not been found ...If a croc is shot dead it shouldn't be too hard to find it unless of course, it wasn't actually shot dead!

The crocs are seen fairly often this time of year they are territorial and if they have displaced from an area they going looking for new areas which are available to take up habitat.

Willie Creek has had crocs there for a long time and with or without tourism they occupy that area and are left to live their lives in their natural environment.
No one has ever been attacked but I'm not saying it can't happen.

In the 26 years that I've been going out there,there has been 5 people that have lost their lives on the road on the way out ...seems a lot more dangerous to me...

Re: Crocs - 31/03/2017 22:47

That croc has been around for several months and stirring the Willie Creek Male up. He has been between Willie and Cables, Ganths, Entrance and back several times over the last 3 months. Dragging the Willie Creek croc around the place after him. The Willie Creek croc is known to go on big trips on the big tides for a number of years now. Surfing croc pics? He has also been seen around Entrance a few times.

If the authorities were clever they would set up Willie as a Catching feature for crocs coming from the North. Yes it is unfortunate to remove the existing male from that eco system but if all he does is chase them out along Cable Beach with 400,000 swimmers there a year then it is an issue. Willie as a catching feature for all incoming crocs would reduce the number of sighting by 70%+ along Cable Beach and into Broome.

Why is Broome immune to such a program when Darwin/Qld etc have a similar program in place or is it just to satisfy the Willie Creek Pearl farm tours being able to see a croc on their tours. Like I say if this continues at the level it is then Willie Creek Pearls will have to expand out into something else as they wont be turning a profit when someone gets taken.

Re: Crocs - 31/03/2017 23:17

Pops my opinion about crocs has got nothing to do with the Willie Creek tourism business and I don't think you should be saying anything about them as it has nothing to do with the way I may think about the subject.

Maybe your the one who should worry about your own business and see that you may be a bit bias. Seems like your main point of interest is making sure crocs are not around when your doing your tours.

Anyway I'm not going to start a bumfight in regards to croc culling as I know it will solve nothing .

I'm going to keep on saying what I think in regards to crocs and I respect your opinion as well so maybe we should just agree to differ and leave it at that..

Re: Crocs - 20/06/2017 21:48

I have no words, The world just gets weirder everyday

http://www.cairnstimes.com/cairns-man-binged-ice-feared-dead-attempting-sex-crocodile/

Re: Crocs - 20/06/2017 22:50

What a planet.

Re: Crocs - 22/06/2017 22:31

Unbelievable....

If anyone was thinking about trying ice ,just see what can happen to you when you become totally delusional.......
Posted by: BIG T

Re: Crocs - 23/06/2017 06:29

no pick up line or anything? Bloke never stood a chance.

Re: Crocs - 23/06/2017 07:00

My "what a world" comment was reference to the fake news article. It sucked in someone in Cairns area that should have known better as it quotes the Cairns Times. There is no Cairns Times.

Someone must have a sick bent mind to write that crap.

Re: Crocs - 23/06/2017 08:00

My "what a world" comment was reference to the fake news article. It sucked in someone in Cairns area that should have known better as it quotes the Cairns Times. There is no Cairns Times.

Someone must have a sick bent mind to write that crap.

Haha, Thanks for clarifying, It sucked me in

Re: Crocs - 23/06/2017 17:14

There you go ,don't believe everything you read...

I know it has happened a similar thing with a bear once in the USA with dire consequences and he was definitely high on drugs.

Re: Crocs - 10/09/2017 15:00

Thought someone may have put this one up earlier:

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...e907-1505019457

How good is the Cairns Post laugh laugh I'm sure other places reported the croc to be 2m and was measured as such.

Re: Crocs - 10/09/2017 19:29

Subscription to the Cairns Post ?

laugh

Re: Crocs - 10/09/2017 21:45

laugh apparently incorrect journalism is at a premium these days.

Re: Crocs - 10/09/2017 22:11

2m here.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2017/septem...ake-placid.html

Re: Crocs - 10/09/2017 22:14

laugh apparently incorrect journalism is at a premium these days.

It seems so. No wonder revenue is down for uncle.

Re: Crocs - 17/09/2017 17:35

Can't read this but I think the French have got some good advice when one is confronted by a crocodile. frown

Re: Crocs - 22/09/2017 09:37

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inv...c5c477f4067185e

Re: Crocs - 22/09/2017 11:29

I cant open that link Ron..

Here's a non subscriber link..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-22/sh...arnings/8974326

What a shame to kill that old dinosaur...I wonder if he had been a resident there for long or had moved from somewhere more remote..?

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 07:56

Jebus I hate these friggin newspaper links, I just googled it and up it came, no chance of me subscribing to any of their crap.

I heard it was a resident and the removal of such a big animal will surely cause young brazen crocs to enter in on a turf war. *As your link metioned pogo, lol.

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 08:06

It said that on one hand Ron, then next thing, If we knew about we would have removed it.

Whats the difference between removing it and someone shooting it I wonder ?

Same outcome!

(As I understand it, maybe I've got it wrong)

ie-

There are concerns the shooting death of a 5.2-metre crocodile will create a power vacuum in the local population — with warnings younger crocs will become "increasingly aggressive" as they fight for the position left vacant.

"If this iconic crocodile had been reported to us, officers would have immediately taken steps to remove it, in accordance with the Queensland Crocodile Management Plan."

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 08:10

It said that on one hand Ron, then next thing, If we knew about we would have removed it.

Same outcome!

Yeah it's a wee bit contradictory isn't it

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 08:12

Bit contradictory hey Samboz, why would you remove a croc that helps keep the balance? Obviously known to at least some locals otherwise it wouldn't have been shot.

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 09:46

Obviously known to at least some locals otherwise it wouldn't have been shot.

I was talking to a neighbour ( Clinton) who comes down here from Rocky and camps on his block to go fishing in the creeks here. He knew the croc well and so did fisheries. They left it alone as there were no complaints made about it and understood the importance of the croc in the system.

He works with fisheries all the time in his job and said that if they had to move it they would have paid the money to locate it to a farm as was is a rare animal in size terms but had no complaints and animal was not displaying any aggression to anyone.

So no, some rednecked dickhead shooting it is NOT the same thing as stated above.

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 10:04

You're missing the point CF. It would be the same outcome for the area, i.e. supposed power vacuum created due to "removal" of this big one.

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 11:03

Same outcome!

(As I understand it, maybe I've got it wrong)

ie-

There are concerns the shooting death of a 5.2-metre crocodile will create a power vacuum in the local population — with warnings younger crocs will become "increasingly aggressive" as they fight for the position left vacant.

"If this iconic crocodile had been reported to us, officers would have immediately taken steps to remove it, in accordance with the Queensland Crocodile Management Plan."

I wonder how long this "power vacuum " and "increasingly aggressive" behaviour lasts for ..?..surely the next larger croc more or less takes over by default wouldnt he...?..How long will the smaller crocs challenge for, before moving on..?..how long before it becomes known to the croc population that someone "owns " a specific territory..?..

Around the Tully/Mission Beach area waterways crocs generally become widely known by boaties,fisherman and farmers once they reach about 4m plus..

As mentioned its just a shame that he couldnt have been moved to a croc farm for his retirement..

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 11:55

Originally Posted By: Jax
You're missing the point CF. It would be the same outcome for the area, i.e. supposed power vacuum created due to "removal" of this big one.

No. I saw the point perfectly thank-you.

They left it alone as there were no complaints made about it and understood the importance of the croc in the system.

It still does not make it ok to shoot the animal when it can be relocated to a park. The authorities were already aware of the animal's presence but opted for the smarter option of not disrupting the territorial consequences of moving it to begin with. A point already made.

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 19:44

Nobody said it was OK to shoot the big croc, just that is was the same outcome if it was removed by either method.

Seems simple enough.

And also this quote just to confuse readers....

"He would be very cautious and certainly he didn't come up in our latest surveys of that river," he said.

Re: Crocs - 23/09/2017 20:41

Leaving it alone seems pretty simple too.

Authorities thought a large croc had met foul play near Port Douglas right under the bridge on the Bruce Highway a few years back until he showed up again at his usual haunt with a female in tow.

Re: Crocs - 01/10/2017 17:56

These guys are having a real feast at the Montgomery Island in the Kimberley.

Croc feast on whale carcass.

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2017 13:49

Imagine the smell Desie sick

Re: Crocs - 08/10/2017 14:25

Maybe these guys know who shot the Fitzroy River croc. They were talking about it back in April.
https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/biggest-ive-seen-massive-croc-spotted-in-fitzroy/3171891/

Interesting that 4 of the 5 comments underneath disagree with removing them. Not everyone is a redneck it seems.

Re: Crocs - 13/10/2017 20:21

Elderly woman goes missing and is suspected to have been taken by a croc near Port Douglas
This is a tragic set of circumstances but hardly the crocs fault, Hopefully they leave it be but they probably won't

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/national/m...f52f-1507886023

Re: Crocs - 13/10/2017 22:53

The old woman suffering dementia is clearly to blame. Maybe they could relocate the nursing home, that'd fix the problem...

(Insert sarcastic smiley here for those that missed it)

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 05:30

Long years ago I used to walk my dog there on the mudflats then on the beach verge where bonduc shrubs grew to collect the hard grey seeds but with cyclone Joy I decided I'd rather not live on the esplanade with slamming winds and potentially flooding tides and bought property 6km inland. The unexpected benefit for me is the removal from danger where crocs are allowed to grow and multiply until no beach, stream or river is safe anymore.

It seems childhood is no longer a time of roaming and having fun, the brainwashing of greenie school teachers has ruined that. The 'they were here first' brigade...

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 10:17

It must be a horrible thing to live with a constant fear of things that go bump in the night and feel the need to blame that fear on a select group rather than your own ability to deal with your phobias .

Meanwhile in other news ,authorities are searching for an aircraft last seen near Mission Beach where it is believe to have played a part in the deaths of three individuals. It was last seen heading west and grave fears are held for a fourth person seen in the nose of the plane. It is described as Caucasian, approximately 8 mtrs long with an average build. If seen please call authorities as it is considered winged and dangerous.

See what I did there? Almost as low as blaming a crocodile for the dementia of the poor woman who lost her life. Now cue the faux outrage.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 11:18

Crikeys, another thread bites the dust. Now I'm off to upset the balance of nature because I feel entitled to go for a stroll on a mudflat.. 😮 peace out.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 11:59

Watch the mozzies RF. They can be fatal too up there.

....and the stone fish...and the cone shells.
Posted by: Gad

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 15:09

.... See what I did there?....

yep! show the signs of rambling of someone suffering from severe cold turkey withdrawals from the Aus Politics thread (being locked). Help would only be a phone call away, IF only the addiction would allow you.;)

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 15:37

Originally Posted By: Gad

yep! show the signs of rambling of someone suffering from severe cold turkey withdrawals from the Aus Politics thread (being locked). Help would only be a phone call away, IF only the addiction would allow you.;)

Hardly. But that's an interesting take on things from the far right. Thanks for sharing.

Instead it's the rantings of someone sick to death of the selfish attitude of those that move to an area rich in diversity and then expect that diversity to make way for their lifestyle choice. 4 deaths in Qld from crocs in quarter of a century. Oh noes, Cull time.

Man's lack of ability to coexist will be his downfall.

....and that Jax character groaned extensively at people from eastern states butting in when they had a couple of shark attacks in WA a few years back. Staggering double standard

....and there are various political forums open around the traps wink

Posted by: Kino

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 15:47

Just don't mention 'climate change' lolz.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 15:48

Shoosh you laugh

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 18:02

It must be a horrible thing to live with a constant fear of things that go bump in the night and feel the need to blame that fear on a select group rather than your own ability to deal with your phobias .

I suggest you continue with the subject of the thread instead of attacking a poster.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 18:11

The subject of the thread does not involve cheap shots at "greenies" but that didn't stop you.

It's easy to throw the labels around just because people don't support culling.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 19:37

Almost as low as blaming a crocodile for the dementia of the poor woman who lost her life.

Geez that ColdFront character's comprehension skills are shot. I didn't blame the croc for anyone's dementia. I didn't call for a cull. I did assume someone from that side of the country will be calling for the croc's removal, possibly along with some of its bitey buddies. I also assumed someone might point out that the old people's home has been a safe place where grannies can be allowed to waddle around with their walking sticks a wee way from home without being eaten for quite some time. I also assumed the croc supporters would come out in an uproar at the very thought of moving the reptiles.

Sigh, so in jest/sarcasm, I suggested the home be moved. There you go. And I thought the little edit in my earlier would have covered all of that.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 19:39

You the conservationist. Ahaha.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 19:56

The croc is a good diversion from the fact this woman somehow ended up unsupervised at the nursing home despite her diagnosed dementia.

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 20:49

Can someone enlighten us as to how far the elderly lady with her walking stick had to walk before being eaten?

Re: Crocs - 14/10/2017 23:34

I feel awful for the family and friends of this poor woman and am sorry I bothered posting in this forum again. She wasn't a resident of the facility. ColdHeart's insinuation the staff were somehow at fault falls flat on it's face. The point of my poorly thought out and reactive question above was to highlight that people have a right to visit towns and built up areas and retirement homes in tourist meccas without the fear they will be attacked and or eaten by giant lizards. Katter might be a controversial Queensland character but he's got his priorities right on this one:

Quote:
"The incident has seen the Katter's Australian Party renew their calls for both sides of parliament to implement more stringent management of crocodiles through their Safer Waterways Bill, which includes culling."

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 00:04

I don't have a cold heart Jax. That would mean I would have no concern for crocodiles and Great Whites . I simply rate these magnificent creatures higher than I rate the likes of you and have enough heart to want to leave some of this planet's wildlife for future generations to admire.

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 00:15

Katter might be a controversial Queensland character but he's got his priorities right on this one:

Quote:
"The incident has seen the Katter's Australian Party renew their calls for both sides of parliament to implement more stringent management of crocodiles through their Safer Waterways Bill, which includes culling."

I didn't call for a cull.

OK then.

She wasn't a resident of the facility.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...a3b74f060a4e4d3

Police believe the 79-year-old, who suffers from dementia, may have wandered into the dense terrain just south of the Ozcare aged care facility where she was staying and become disoriented.

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 09:19

Hardly. But that's an interesting take on things from the far right. Thanks for sharing.

Instead it's the rantings of someone sick to death of the selfish attitude of those that move to an area rich in diversity and then expect that diversity to make way for their lifestyle choice. 4 deaths in Qld from crocs in quarter of a century. Oh noes, Cull time.

Man's lack of ability to coexist will be his downfall.

....and that Jax character groaned extensively at people from eastern states butting in when they had a couple of shark attacks in WA a few years back. Staggering double standard

....and there are various political forums open around the traps wink

Oh deary me, did I step on your poor little itty bitty ego?

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 09:36

If you tried I didn't notice. You are of no importance to me.

It did raise a brow slightly however that YOU made the link to the political thread and yet followed me over into this thread for your completely off topic rant. You're the first person I have seen mention its closure. Pick up the phone !

Maybe at least try to offer something to the actual topic?

Meanwhile.....

They breed 'em tough in India (or crazy depending on your viewpoint).

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/10/11/.../6911507741306/

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 09:55

...and for those who are unsure, there is currently a crocodile control program in place in Queensland that works very well where crocodiles that display aggressive behaviour are removed (and often euthanized ). This is why a broad scale cull has been rejected. Katter wanted safaris and is a raving lunatic. How anyone can suggest that shooting an animal that lays motionless on a river bank is "sport" is beyond any rational mind.

In this case the woman walked to the mouth of Mowbray Creek and police suggest she may have waded in. The croc will be killed as it is policy to rule out foul play.

Crocodiles do not overpopulate. We do.

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 10:44

If you tried I didn't notice. You are of no importance to me.

It did raise a brow slightly however that YOU made the link to the political thread and yet followed me over into this thread for your completely off topic rant. You're the first person I have seen mention its closure. Pick up the phone !

Maybe at least try to offer something to the actual topic?

Meanwhile.....

They breed 'em tough in India (or crazy depending on your viewpoint).

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/10/11/.../6911507741306/

you asked a question in the croc thread
Originally Posted By: ColdFront.... See what I did there?....

I replied.

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 10:47

This may be the large specimen that is often sighted under the overpass on the highway upstream. It was thought to have met with foul play a few years ago before reappearing several months later.

Anyway, they are going to remove it as expected. Note the mayor's comments in the link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/cr...y-woman/9045918

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 11:09

The woman was from Canberra CF/CA/SG/JtH, staying briefly as a visitor. It doesn't matter, she was still killed by a crocodile within a nanny stagger from a retirement village. I did not call for a cull. I do agree with culling when it is needed. And that is the last time I'm motoring by this bridge, waste of time and others can do without your vitriolic replies to my every post here. You should have stuck with the name Callous Aussie, it suited you.

Re: Crocs - 15/10/2017 19:28

Too much sun?

I remember now why I blocked you last time with your playing the victim nonsense when calling for and supporting shark culls. Interesting given there are arguably far more crocodiles in Australian waters than Great Whites.

Your opening post here was a trolling effort (below)

The old woman suffering dementia is clearly to blame. Maybe they could relocate the nursing home, that'd fix the problem...

(Insert sarcastic smiley here for those that missed it)

Watch those sharks Jax.
Posted by: Kino

Re: Crocs - 17/10/2017 23:22

http://www.mygc.com.au/human-remains-found-inside-crocodile-far-north-qld/

Jax gone missing? grin

Re: Crocs - 23/10/2017 20:34

What a bunch of dickheads !

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/me...6?sf124318078=1

Re: Crocs - 24/10/2017 14:52

Have a look at this big bad boy that is Matt Wright so called pet.

17ft Croc

Re: Crocs - 24/10/2017 18:11

Have a look at this big bad boy that is Matt Wright so called pet.

17ft Croc

Saw something about that a couple of days ago. Big animal. Very few ever get to that size

Re: Crocs - 28/11/2017 16:52

Could be wrong but sounds like indigenous to me. I'd have thought they'd know better to be walking alongside tamin stained water like that.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nationa...128-p4yx9s.html

Re: Crocs - 28/11/2017 17:22

British tourist according to the news.

Re: Crocs - 14/01/2018 10:11

Breakfast in Cardwell.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns...7d8d7f1dd784403

Re: Crocs - 14/01/2018 10:46

“They told me a croc was coming, so I stepped back a bit.” LOL. with no one around to tell her, would 'curiosity have killed that cat'???

Re: Crocs - 14/01/2018 12:49

“They told me a croc was coming, so I stepped back a bit.” LOL. with no one around to tell her, would 'curiosity have killed that cat'???

Makes you wonder doesn't it Gad. Fixated on the phone.

Re: Crocs - 22/01/2018 19:10

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/port-d...f64d1687ef558d3

laugh

Re: Crocs - 23/01/2018 13:03

I reported one on Mulgrave Rd near toyota at 3.00am one morning a few years back.The police woman thought it was hilarious. I made her night she said at the time. She called me back a couple of nights later with feedback.

National Parks reckoned they couldn't get up there so it was unlikely. It's pretty hard to mistake a 2 mtr croc. 2 days later they removed one the same size on Mulgrave Rd near the showgrounds. A 3 mtr croc in your front yard doesn't happen everyday RF.

Re: Crocs - 23/01/2018 21:26

That would have been cool CF, this was also pretty cool I thought, didnt read the CP article, only link I could find at the time. Saw the footage on the news, and some guy also had it wander past his security camera earlier.

Re: Crocs - 25/01/2018 20:03

I hope they throw the book at this muppet.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nationa...125-p4yywc.html

Re: Crocs - 12/10/2018 22:33

Being a ranger you'd think she'd know better. Waste deep? No doubt the Katters will be out in force in coming days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-12/crocodile-attack-in-remote-nt-community/10370614

Re: Crocs - 18/10/2018 14:55

More tourist shenanigans in the Top End

NT News link
Posted by: marakai

Re: Crocs - 18/10/2018 21:45

Hardly endangered up that way, not as huge as they use to be anymore but the numbers are on the increase since I lived up there. https://www.facebook.com/ABCDarwin/videos/10156585191434873/
Posted by: ozone doug

Re: Crocs - 24/10/2018 09:26

Fishermen 'gobsmacked' to see man standing chest-deep in crocodile-infested waterway. What can i say.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-23/m...o-fish/10418028

Re: Crocs - 24/10/2018 10:44

Originally Posted By: ozone doug
Fishermen 'gobsmacked' to see man standing chest-deep in crocodile-infested waterway. What can i say.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-23/m...o-fish/10418028

The unfortunate thing is that only after he was taken out by a croc would he learnt his lesson .. ..

Re: Crocs - 27/10/2018 15:34

Up on the Cape apparently.