Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17
Topic Options
#1383481 - 28/07/2016 15:21 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: StormCapture]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide
It certainly was a surprise when that image appeared on meteye eek We need a simple guide to the imputs that determine when and where pixels appear on the images. I did a rather quick look on BoM website this morning but didn't find one.

#1383482 - 28/07/2016 15:22 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 12th Snowfall Part 2.

Now to four videos I filmed on the summit of Mt Lofty on Tuesday 12th July. I've posted these all onto Youtube. I do recommend watching them in fullscreen, particularly as the outdoor viewing area on the summit is quite favorable for our vision to correctly interpret the three-dimensional nature of the scene, even more so when there are people scattered around.

For general viewing I think the YouTube versions are quite suitable. I've also given links to avi files of these videos and to the original mov files straight from the camera, both stored on the server for this website. This is partly in case the links to the YouTube versions should break in the future. Viewing mov originals may or may not require the file be downloaded before it can be viewed. There's no copyright restrictions on any of my videos posted onto this page but mention of Miles Peachfield as the photographer would be appreciated.

Below: "Mt Lofty 12th July 2016 hail gale sends visitors scurrying!" About 310pm. The snow shower at around 310pm 12th July 2016 on the summit of Mt Lofty in South Australia, started with a sudden and spectacular burst of hail driven by very strong winds, sending people on the lookout area scurrying for cover! Watch fullscreen for best viewing. Photographer: Miles Peachfield.

original straight from cam mov file

reduced byte mp4 file

Below: "Falling snow and excited visitors on Mt Lofty summit 12th July 2016."
Some of the fortunate visitors to the summit of Mt Lofty South Australia on 12th July 2016 score a timing bullseye and experienced a very uncommon daylight snow shower. This happens on average about once or twice a year on the summit. Time: about 310pm. Photographer: Miles Peachfield.

Link to original straight from camera mov file

reduced byte mp4 file

Below: "Snowshower enjoyed by very excited visitors : Mt Lofty summit 12th July 2016."
It's snowing and very excited visitors seize the opportunity to come out and experience it eye to eye! On the summit of Mount Lofty in South Australia, 12th July 2016 at about 314pm. This is my video I think best captures the atmosphere prevailing during this snow shower outdoors on the viewing arena.

Link to reduced byte mp4 file

Below: "Falling snow with dark background - Mt Lofty summit 12th July 2016". About 312pm.
I filmed this during a snow shower on the summit of Mt Lofty in South Australia, on the afternoon of 12th July 2016, at about 312pm. I wanted to get as good a record as I could of what the falling snow looked like. So I aimed the camera at an area of darkish native vegetation just off the approx north-eastern edge of the tarmacked viewing arena, and this video is the result. The flakes look and behaves to my eyes as small wind-driven snowflakes and not like any other kinds of icy particles such as graupel or sleet. Also during the snow shower I didn't hear any pings from my camera such as are made when hail or other solid ice particles strike it. In the excitement of the snow fall I didn't get to take any close-up photos of the flakes so can't vouch for their being "pure as the driven snow". I can most definitely vouch for them being driven however :-)

#1383494 - 28/07/2016 18:40 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Originally Posted By: Unstable
It certainly was a surprise when that image appeared on meteye eek We need a simple guide to the imputs that determine when and where pixels appear on the images. I did a rather quick look on BoM website this morning but didn't find one.

Go to the meteye page, and all the info is at the top via the 'about meteye' link, the FAQ, and the metadata link.

#1383504 - 29/07/2016 01:30 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 12th Snowfall Part 3.

These are three more videos I took on the summit.

Below: "Snow day Mt Lofty summit 12th July 2016: the relentless wind!". About 1214pm.
The relentless wind was a major player on the Mt Lofty summit stage on snow day 12th July 2016. So the small hailstones and snowflakes generally raced downwind as they fell rather than more gently falling earthwards. Hail stung the necks and ears of anyone not well protected!

Below: "Another wind-driven shower arrives, providing various challenges for the participants. 1216pm" Tuesday July 16th 2016, Mount Lofty summit in South Australia. Best viewed in fullscreen.

Below: "Wind-driven hail scatters visitors summit Mt Lofty 12th July 2016."
Someone's good deed for the day :-) Filmed during a wind-driven hail shower on the summit of Mount Lofty in South Australia, on the afternoon of 12th July 2016 at about 133pm.

#1383505 - 29/07/2016 02:32 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: teckert]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: teckert
Go to the meteye page, and all the info is at the top via the 'about meteye' link, the FAQ, and the metadata link.

Thanks. I've just been looking at the "Frequently Asked Questions" and it's pretty good I reckon for providing simple answers, given that the subject of the Australian Digital Forecast Database (ADFD) and its sources of data and its uses is not going to be entirely simple.

Here are answers to three questions I've found particulary useful in providing me with information on how snow pixels are forecast on MetEye.

"4. What is the source of the forecasts shown here?
The forecasts are created by our teams of meteorologists operating from Regional Forecast Centres in each capital city. The forecasts are collected centrally in the Australian Digital Forecast Database (ADFD) which is a database of official weather forecast elements, such as temperature, rainfall and weather types."

"14. How often are these forecasts issued or updated?
The forecasts are routinely issued twice a day each morning and afternoon and new maps will be posted to MetEye at these times. The data itself may be updated at other times and used to generate updated text forecasts. However, be aware that the maps may not be updated at all or may take some time to update MetEye maps."

"7. Is the forecast in this viewer as reliable as other forecasts on the website?
The Bureau of Meteorology uses the Australian Digital Forecast Database (ADFD) to produce text forecasts and some warnings routinely twice per day. Between times the ADFD may be updated to produce new text forecasts and warnings but these may not be reflected on MetEye."

#1383557 - 30/07/2016 05:04 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 12th Snowfall Part 4.

Now to some videos taken by others on Tuesday 12th, at various locations on Mt Lofty, and on Mt Crawford.

Below: "Hail storm at Mount Lofty SA just before light snow shower 12th July, 2016. 3pm"
Posted onto YouTube by Gilbert De Lorenzo.

Amelia Mulcahy filmed a roaming mobile phone video during the snow shower on the summit of Mt Lofty on "July 12 at 308pm". It captures the excitement of the milling visitors well and includes footage that will assist anyone looking for evidence of the "snowiness" of the falling flakes. The video is a bit challenging for the eyes as the camera is panned around hither and thither with happy abandon.

Some details and a link to the video:
"Amelia Mulcahy was live."
"July 12 at 308pm."
"THE REAL THING! Snow at Mount Lofty! ???"
Amelia Mulcahy video
It's a 19.4 mb MP4 file.
Thanks to "South Australian Weather" for posting the link onto the "South Australian Weather" page on Facebook where I found it.

Jason Hywood took a slow-motion video on the Mt Lofty summit at 1209pm. He posted it onto the Facebook page "South Australian Weather" he founded, here Jason Hywood video along with the caption "I forgot I filmed this on my phone. It was 11.12am on Tuesday up Mt Lofty, I stupidly filmed it against a white sky but you can still see the flakes being blown around. Better in HD".

Rob McMahon videoed flakes falling on what looks to my eye like Summit Road near the television towers. The video is captioned "Mt Lofty Tuesday about 3.15", and provides a good illustration of how well falling snowflakes can show up in daylight against a darkish background, in this case pine trees. The video can be seen here Rob McMahon video

Kyle Howard videod falling snow on Tuesday at 2:21pm at Mount Crawford, in very strong and gusty winds. It's here KyleHowardMtCrawford12716 and it's accompanied by the text "One of the best captures for the year - Snow in the Northern parts of the Adelaide Hills, winds gusting at 110km/h possibly up to 115km/h when this was taken, almost lost my footing. That video was taken at 2:21pm at Mount Crawford At the time the AWS was sitting at 92km/h, the 115 is an approximate wind but it was surely strong going by how the trees were going and the howling of the tower near by. Temperature at the time of the video plummeted to 1.1°C leaving the windchill at -10°C
Video Copyright Kyle Howard 2016 Awesomeography".

In a personal communication with me Kyle said "That video was taken at 2:21pm at Mount Crawford At the time the AWS was sitting at 92km/h, the 115 is an approximate wind but it was surely strong going by how the trees were going and the howling of the tower near by. Temperature at the time of the video plummeted to 1.1°C leaving the windchill at -10°C ...". Eek!

Wikipedia in its "List of mountains in Australia" article gives the height of Mt Crawford as 560 metres, and the Bureau of Meteorology gives the height of the Mount Crawford automatic weather station as 525 metres.

#1383570 - 30/07/2016 12:27 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: StormCapture]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
Originally Posted By: StormCapture
FTR This was MetEye's snow forecast for the 12th July 2016, one of the most packed maps I've ever seen in my life.

That's probably the most misleading map I have ever seen Meteye produce, and I am 100% convinced it was caused by bom manually adding a 500m snow level, I think it is best to post the nights before (as I will below) rather than one from a few days out.

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1383606 - 30/07/2016 23:20 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I'm a bit confused Mark smile Stormcapture's posted MetEye image has the date and time "Tuesday, 12th July 1330" on it and the afternoon snow shower on Lofty fell Tuesday 12th July about 1510.

#1383608 - 30/07/2016 23:32 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Unstable, It was the forecast for that time but it was on meteye a couple of days before the event. Mark has posted the meteye for that time when it the night before (after it was corrected)

#1383613 - 31/07/2016 00:03 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: teckert]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ah okay that explains it - simple explanation I didn't think of for some reason.
I'm no longer confused Mark smile

#1383616 - 31/07/2016 01:03 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 12th Snowfall Part 5.

Below are four photos I took in the time interval about 306 to 308pm Tuesday 12th July 2016. They are of the right-hand part (as I observed it) of the approaching shower that produced the hail and then snow. These were taken on automatic exposure and fortunately the brightness of the approaching shower cloud and the landscape was reasonably similar, so the images are pretty close to what I was seeing. It was quite an impressive sight and I wasn't surprised hail and then snow fell. I'd like to have seen and photographed the top of the shower cloud but lower cloud was obscuring it.

Edited by Unstable (31/07/2016 01:05)
Edit Reason: link fix for one image

#1383683 - 01/08/2016 01:45 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 12th Snowfall Part 6.

Now to several visuals showing how the extremely cold air reached southern South Australia from Antarctica.

Below is a chart from Weatherzone via the Facebook page "Mid North Storms" showing the path of the cold air from Antarctica to southern South Australia. (I don't know who added the black visuals.) I think that the configuration of weather systems shown here, in particular the north-south elongations of both the low, and the high to the west of the low, providing this pathway from Antarctica to southern South Australia would be very uncommon.

Below: A satellite loop from "Wellington Severe Weather Reports" showing the evolving weather system that brought us the snow. I recommend watching it on YouTube in fullscreen.

Below: "Antarctic Storm underneath Australia heading south of New Zealand" by "Wellington Severe Weather Reports".
Needs to be watched in fullscreen on YouTube.

Below is a link to a satellite loop for the hours 1400 UTC Monday 11th to 1400 UTC Tuesday 12th (which is half an hour before midnight Monday to half an hour before midnight Tuesday local time). It's a gif file about 22 mb in size, made by copying all files from the archive loop for this time period, from the RAMSDIS Online Archive, and pasting them into a gif file creator.
Source: RAMSDIS Online Archive
himawari-8/himawari-8_band_13_sector_04
satellite image loop for 1130pm 11th to 1130pm 12th July 2016

Click on this link: Himawari-8 satellite image loop for 1130pm 11th to 1130pm 12th July 2016

Now here's a satellite image loop with commentary showing the journey of very cold air from the vicinity of Antarctica to southern South Australia on Tuesday 12th - I found this on YouTube. Details: "ANTARCTIC STORM, 13 July 2016 passes over Tasmania"
Wellington Severe Weather Reports.
I recommend watching it on YouTube in fullscreen.

#1383684 - 01/08/2016 02:14 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

#1383686 - 01/08/2016 04:34 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 12th Snowfall Part 8.

At the Mt Lofty automatic weather station (not located at the summit and lower in altitude) the minimum for the period 900am Monday 11th to 900am Tuesday 12th was 1.4 degrees (from BoM records). The ABC reported that the temperature dropped as low as 1.4 degrees Celsius at Mount Lofty just after 7:00am Tuesday. The ABC reports that the Bureau of Meteorology said the temperature dropped to 0.6 degrees Celsius at the summit on Tuesday but didn't say what time. Low readings at the automatic weather station for Tuesday later than 9am included 1.9 degrees at 1030am, 1.4 at 1230pm, 1.6 at 330pm, 1.9 at 700pm, and 2.0 at 900pm. So it was a very cold day on Mt Lofty during the whole of the daylight hours and into the evening, but it didn't fall to zero degrees at any time.

Below are the Mt Lofty automatic weather station readings for the period 700pm 11th July to 500am 13th July 2016.
Details: "Weather Observations for Mount Lofty
IDS60801
Issued at 5:02 am CST Wednesday 13 July 2016 ...
Station Details ID: 023842 Name: MOUNT LOFTY Lat: -34.98 Lon: 138.71 Height: 685.0 m "

Below: Click on this link to see a gif file of Bureau of Meteorology surface weather charts. The file when it runs shows each chart for 5 seconds, there are eight charts and they go from 10am eastern standard time 11th July to 4am eastern standard time 13th July 2016.

Info about charts: MSLP Analysis (Manual) Australian Region charts:
Source: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/archive/index.shtml http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/archive/index.shtml
Bureau Home > Australia > Weather Maps > Archive > MSLP Analysis (Manual) Australian Region

To see four BoM 500hPa Analysis Australian Region charts relevant to this snow event, click on THIS LINK to open a gif file. When played it shows each chart for ten seconds. Source: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/archive/index.shtml Bureau Home > Australia > Weather Maps > Archive > 500 hPa Analysis, Australian Region]

#1384142 - 07/08/2016 03:15 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2016 July 4th Snowfall on Mt Lofty.

On July 4th 2016 snow and sleet fell at times on the Mt Lofty summit during the evening darkness. This was quite an unusual snowfall event and one apparently witnessed by very few people and recorded on camera by even less. I've found only one video and no photos of the falling snow and sleet. Fortunately it's a pretty good video!

As this snowfall was not forecast there was no prior publicity about a possibility of snow falling in the hills. I don't think there was a reference to the chance of snow in any Bureau of Meteorology forecast on the day, at least not before snow commenced falling. And the snow fell during darkness and when the Greater Adelaide Area was experiencing widespread substantial rainfall.

A key to the lack of prior expectation among the media and the forecasters seems to be that meteorological conditions favorable for snow reaching the ground only developed during the late afternoon and early evening of the day. This can happen and it reminds me of the way Cyclone Tracy caught most residents of Darwin and vicinity by surprise.

I was either preparing to leave or already on my way to a wild and woolly and rather exhilarating snow-chase in the rain and winds to the Mid-North at the time the first snow was reported from Mt Lofty, so I don't have any personal record or footage of the Lofty snow. Nor did I see any snow falling in the Mid-North so I don't have any personal records of snow there either!

Now to the only video I've found of the snowfall on Mount Lofty. This video was posted onto YouTube by Glen Pearce. I'm pretty sure it's taken in the car park on the summit. He and his two companions seem to have that part of the car park all to themselves, in contrast to the afternoon of the 12th July 2016 when the summit car park was overflowing with cars.

Some details:
Video by Glen Pearce, posted onto YouTube.
Title: "Snow at Mt Lofty"
"Published on Jul 4, 2016"
Camera time for the video is: 1007pm 4th July.
Link to video on YouYube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgboBYOddCM

The light source for this vidoe is either attached to or held against the camera and is quite bright enough to get a good video record of falling snow at night. It's the first night-time video of South Australian snow falling using a video light I recall seeing. The ones I've seen and the ones I've taken have all relied relied on street lights, car lights, or car park lights, and it hasn't proved to be very effective.

I also note that the cameraman has calmly panned around and in doing so showed the snow falling from various angles to the camera. Somehow no snowflake seems to have landed on the lens even when the camera was aiming directly into the oncoming snow.

I've embedded the video below and I do suggest watching it on YouTube in fullscreen. If the video disappears from YouTube or the embed won't work on your player, try this link to Glen Pearce video.

I don't have enough experience with snow to say whether this looks like pure snowflakes falling or whether the snow crystals may have been modified by some degree of melting and then refreezing :-) I don't hear any pings on the video sound track suggesting any solid ice particles among the falling flakes.

Here is an eyewitness account posted onto the Weatherzone forums by "SnowHalos".

SnowHalos
Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
"Hi Folks:
I dont post often but I thought I better tonight for the snow lovers. wink I headed up to Mt Lofty when I saw the temperature starting to edge towards 1.5c. Snow started to appear in the air at about 700 m, and when I got to the car park it was dumping quite nicely. Time was about 8:10 pm. Temp was about 1c. The snow had settled a bit on the road and ground, slushy...but there no less. After a five minutes it started to look more sleety, spent the next 20 minutes like this, and by about 8:40 pm it was only raining again, with the temp back up to about 1.7c. As the coldest air came through before 8 with 0.6c, I obviously caught the tail end of the "snow" window. Not much, but something at least...and surprising given it wasnt even forecast. smile "

Now here's the 256 km Buckland Park radar loop for the period 940am 4th July to 930am 5th July 2016. Source: The Weather Chaser

http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR642-adelaide-buckland-park/2016-07-04-00/2016-07-05-00
See : 256km Radar Loop for Adelaide (Buckland Park), 00:00 04/07/2016 to 00:00 05/07/2016 UTC

Here's the 512 km Buckland Park radar loop for the same period 940am 4th July to 930am 5th July 2016.

http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR641-adelaide-buckland-park/2016-07-04-00/2016-07-05-00
See : 512km Radar Loop for Adelaide (Buckland Park), 00:00 04/07/2016 to 00:00 05/07/2016 UTC

I don't have the detailed temperature records from the Mount Lofty automatic weather station from that night. But looking at the kind of echoes on the radar loops suggests to me that showers of snow and-or sleet could have fallen until as late as around 1140pm and possibly later if the temperature was sufficiently cold.

The radar suggests snowflakes may have fallen in some other high localities in the southern Lofties if the temperature was low enough, but the only record I have for anywhere in South Australia is from Mt Lofty. It also tells a story about why I didn't see any snow falling in the vicinity of the Mt Bryan Range in the Mid-North!

Now for a gif file of infrared satellite images from the Oscilmet website http://www.oscilmet.com.au . The satellite images are labelled Bureau of Meteorology 3 Jul 16 1830UTC to 4 Jul 16 1730 UTC. Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) is 9:30 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time UTC in July. So the dates and times for the satellite images are 4 Jul 16 400am to 5 Jul 300am ACST. The pause time for the gif file is 0.5 seconds. Open this gif file to see it For a fast and wild view open this gif file.

A feature of the above gif files and the surface charts below is that this snowfall does not appear to be a consequence of a very cold air mass coming from the deep south. If this is correct then it makes this snowfall a very unusual one for South Australia.

To see the Bureau of Meteorology mean sea level 6 hourly charts from 10am eastern standard time 3rd July to 4am 6th July displayed at two second intervals, open this gif file.

If anyone knows of reports of snow falling in places other than the Mt Lofty summit on July 4th or 5th or knows of any other videos or photos of the falling snow or sleet please do post the info here smile

#1392656 - 09/11/2016 02:26 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

1900 July 3rd: rare meteorology - reports of snow Flinders Ranges before historic NSW July 5th snowstorm and flood.

Firstly a reminder that to see the most up-to-date versions of the reports on snowfalls I've made in this thread, I suggest going to my website South Australian Snows http://sasnows.com where I have added new information to some of my reports, and reworded snippets of text, and corrected any errors I find etc. There's also an index to all the reports and other items on the home page.

Now back about 116 years to the 3rd July 1900.

On and about the 5th July 1900 there was an unprecedented snowstorm east of the eastern border of South Australia, centred on New South Wales. This combined with floods to wreak a considerable amount of havoc and destruction, and I gather several people perished too.

Laurier William's Australian Weather News website says: "The snowstorm of 5 July 1900 was arguably the worst snowstorm to occur in recorded history away from the Alps."

Here are two headlines in South Australian newspapers of the time (source Trove):
"FLOODS IN NEW SOUTH WALES. TAKING PEOPLE FROM HOUSETOPS AND TREES. NARROW ESCAPE OF RESCUE PARTY. SENSATIONAL EXPERIENCES. BATHURST BURIED IN SNOW. Sydney, July 5."
"SNOW AND FLOODS. EASTERN NEW SOUTH WALES SUBMERGED. UNPRECEDENTED FALL OF SNOW. A TRAIN SNOWED UP FOR TWENTY- FOUR HOURS. SENSATIONAL ADVENTURES. A TOWN ALMOST SUBMERGED. SYDNEY, July 7."

The meteorological causes of the snowfall were clearly very unusual, and it was not primarily due to a surge northwards of a deep and frigid surface-to-cloudtop airmass from the far Southern Ocean. Australian Weather News says: "Its likely causes were examined by Doug Shepherd in a Meteorological Note Extraordinary Snowstorm of 5 July 1900 (PDF, 0.5mb), reproduced by kind permission of the Bureau of Meteorology" here http://www.australianweathernews.com/snow/Shepherd_Snowstorm_5_July_1900.pdf

I undertook a search on Trove for any reports of snow falling in South Australia either during or preceding this snowfall in the eastern states. As you might imagine the search was made more difficult than the usual searches due to the many reports of snow in the eastern states appearing in the search results. I was very surprised by what I found.

Firstly, I could only locate two reports of snow falling in South Australia. Secondly, they both reported eyewitness accounts of snow falling in the northern Flinders Ranges!

Below are the two reports after correcting the machine-scanned digitised texts on Trove.

Port Augusta Dispatch, Newcastle and Flinders Chronicle (SA : 1885 - 1916), Friday 6 July 1900, page 2.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197611464

{I've quoted below only the snow-relevant text from a longer article. Angepena is a pastoral lease situated in the northern Flinders Ranges about 40 kilometres south-east of Leigh Creek.}

SNOW ONCE MORE IN THE NORTH.— A correspondent, writing from Angipena Station, on July 3rd says :—We had the unique experience here at midday of a snow storm, which lasted for fully half an hour. It was a beautiful sight as it fell thickly covering the ground and surroundings with snow. At the time I was driving a flock of sheep and they had the appearance of being covered with down instead of wool. An aged shepherd, who hails from the old country, told me that the fall was equal to an average snow storm in England while it lasted. Two natives with me were simply astounded ; they stated that they had never seen anything similar in their time. It was a picture worthy to be remembered and, being my first experience of actual snow. As a gauge of how thickly it fell I could not see the ranges a mile distant from where I was at the time. Undoubtedly our climate of late years has been undergoing great changes, our summers are cooler than some years ago our winters are bitterly cold. No doubt you will hear from other correspondents some account of this phenomenal fall of snow which is something unique to South Australians, therefore thought I would advise you of the occurrence here. The natives are astonished and want to know how I can account for such a peculiar "shower of rain."—[We are pleased to hear from this correspondent, and he bears out our assumption that the climate is altering for the better, and better times may hopefully be looked forward to in the North for the years to come."

Article identifier http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197611464

Page identifier http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page22369412

APA citation No Title (1900, July 6). The Port Augusta Dispatch, Newcastle and Flinders Chronicle (SA : 1885 - 1916), p. 2. Retrieved November 2, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197611464

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Thursday 5 July 1900, page 3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/54450552

SNOW IN THE FAR NORTH.
LEIGH'S CREEK, July 4.
Mr. W. James, mail contractor, arrived this morning from his usual weekly trip. He reports having driven through a fall of snow yesterday afternoon. The snow fell for fully twenty minutes, and was princi-pally in the vicinity of Mount Serle and Mount McKinley. The day was bitterly cold. Good rains are still reported.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54450552
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page4101575
APA citation
SNOW IN THE FAR NORTH. (1900, July 5). South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), p. 3. Retrieved November 2, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54450552

Australia's chief Meteorologist in 1900 was Charles Todd, who was based in Adelaide. On the website http://charlestodd.net it says: "Todd was the first person to arrive on the continent of Australia charged with the responsibility of Metorological Observer. At Federation, he had served for an unmatched 50 years and was the senior meteorologist in our new country."

Below is the weather report and forecasts by Charles Todd issued at 130pm Tuesday 3rd. Of particular relevance to South Australia is: "Forecast of probable weather from Tuesday afternoon till Wednesday night. Issued at 1.30 p.m. on Tuesday. South Australia. — Generally unsettled, with rain extending well inland. Northerly winds, tending westerly. Smooth sea." At about the same time this forecast was being issued, one of the above-quoted newspaper articles tells us: "A correspondent, writing from Angipena Station, on July 3rd says :—We had the unique experience here at midday of a snow storm, which lasted for fully half an hour. It was a beautiful sight as it fell thickly covering the ground and surroundings with snow."

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Wednesday 4 July 1900, page 4
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/54451942

WEATHER REPORTS AND FORECASTS.
Forecast of probable weather from Tuesday afternoon till Wednesday night. Issued at 1.30 p.m. on Tuesday. South Australia. — Generally unsettled, with rain extending well inland. Northerly winds, tending westerly. Smooth sea. Victoria (supplied by Mr. P. Baracchi). — At first generally fine; but cloudy weather with rain setting in shortly over the north-west and west districts. Light north-east winds. Slight sea. New South Wales (supplied by Mr. H. C. Russell).— Copious general rains during the next few days, light winds. Temperature milder. Western Australia (supplied by Mr. W. E. Cooke). — Mostly fine, though cloudy in coastal districts from Geraldton southwards. Unsettled weather setting in on south-west coast shortly. Elsewhere fine and fresh, and frosty inland at night. A remarkably sudden and marked development of unsettled conditions is shown by this morning's reports. Under the combined influences of a mon-soon depression, which has formed over Queensland. and the moderate depression noted yesterday south of the Bight, the weather has become unsettled with rain over the whole of the Northern Territory, west and south Queensland. New South Wales, and the whole of our Northern Areas to the Great Bight. Moderate to heavy rains have fallen over a large part of the interior of Australia, especially in the dry western areas of Queensland, and more threatens. In South Australia not much has fallen up to 9 a.m., except over the head of the Bight. but conditions are favourable for rain, as the weather map shows a shallow valley of low barometers lying between two high areas, one over western, and the other over south-eastern Australia — a condition of things always favourable for more or less rains. CHARLES TODD. Government Astronomer.

Article identifier http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54451942

Page identifier http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page4101230

APA citation WEATHER REPORTS AND FORECASTS. (1900, July 4). South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), p. 4. Retrieved November 2, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54451942

Here is detail of the weather map issued by Charles Todd (or his associates) "9am Tuesday 3 July 1900".

The links to the relevant Charles Todd weather folios for the period are:
Monday 2nd http://www.charlestodd.net/Todd_Folios/web/19000702.html

Tuesday 3rd http://www.charlestodd.net/Todd_Folios/web/19000703.html

Wednesday 4th http://www.charlestodd.net/Todd_Folios/web/19000704.html

Thursday 5th http://www.charlestodd.net/Todd_Folios/web/19000705.html

Friday 6th http://www.charlestodd.net/Todd_Folios/web/19000706.html

In August 1900 Charles Todd wrote a report (probably a regular monthly report) summarising July 1900's weather which was published in at least two South Australian newspapers. The most readable and easily corrected copy I found on Trove was in the Evening Journal. Below is the text in the summary relevant to to the July 5th snowstorm and floods, and some of the weather in Australia that preceded it, which included unseasonally heavy rains in the Northern Territory and Queensland.

Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912) Fri 10 Aug 1900 Page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199964829

I've quoted here the text relevant to the July 5th snowstorm and floods and the weather in Australia that preceded it.

JULY WEATHER

NOTES BY SIR CHARLES TODD.

During the month of July rain very seldom falls in the Northern Territory, the average fall there, derived from 20 to 30 years' records, being only a few points. It is very extraordinary, therefore, to have recorded, as we have this July, heavy rains all the way from Port Darwin to Barrow Creek, between 2 and 2½ in. failing at Port Darwin, Brock's Creek, Powell's Creek, and Tennant's Creek; 1.35 at Barrow's Creek, and from 56 to 88 points at other places. The Overseer of the telegraph line party, at the middle Tomkinson Creek, south of Powell's Creek, reports on the 3rd:—"Raining here since 1st; creek overflowing its banks 200 yards. Line party camp washed out. Country all under water; estimated about 6 in. rain had fallen." These heavy rains came with a monsoonal disturbance shown on our maps to the west of Port Darwin on the 1st, which, during the next few days, passed across the Territory, through Queensland to New South Wales, where, on the 4th, it joined forces with a slight south coast disturbance (which came up from the south of the Bight and crossed over South Australia), and developed into a severe storm system. The drought areas of Queensland were benefited, the reports showing that rain fell over almost the whole of western Queensland, being particularly heavy in the north-west, extending from Borroloola to south of Camooweal, 4 in. being registered at Yelverseraft, and many places in the west had upwards of an inch. Tangorin and Richmond Downs and Hughendon over 2 in. In New South Wales the weather was very severe, especially in the east and south, where torrents of rain fell with phenomenally heavy and extensive snowstorms, and violent gales and tremendous floods occurred. Some idea of their extent may be imagined from the fact that the Hawkesbury River rose 30 ft. above high-water mark, townships were flooded out, and the people had to take refuge in trees to save their lives, and in all directions telegraph lines and railway communication were interrupted. Some heavy rains also fell in the north-east parts of Victoria, but only light showers in the south parts and throughout South Australia. A moderate south coast disturbance passed rapidly south of us on the 8th. with a fair and general rainfall here, and was followed by a spell of high barometers, which lasted to the 21st. {end of quote}

The meteorological conditions prevailing at the time make this snowfall one of the most unusual I've encountered so far in the recorded history of South Australia. I know of only about three other events where snow fell in meteorological conditions so far removed from the typical deep ground to cloudtop airmass coming from deep in the Southern Ocean.

Doug Shepherd in his Meteorological Note Extraordinary Snowstorm of 5 July 1900 here Meteorological Note Extraordinary Snowstorm of 5 July 1900 concludes (referring to New South Wales):

The two very credible reports of falling snow in the northern Flinders Ranges on July 3rd I've documented above suggest that a very cold pool of air in the middle levels may have been over the northern Flinders Ranges on 3rd perhaps with a developing upper low.

#1392830 - 10/11/2016 00:25 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

1900: August 16th Widespread Snow Showers.

On August 16th 1900 snow showers were reported from many locations ranging from the Mid-North and the southern Mt Lofty Ranges to the South-East. Hail, thunderstorms, rain and strong to gale force winds were also widely reported and there was some flooding as rivers and streams ran bankers with some overflow onto floodplains.

Below I've posted newspaper reports from most location I found in a search of the South Australian newspapers in the Trove database. It was not an exhaustive search and I've seen references to snow falling in other locations not mentioned here.

I haven't seen any reports of snow from the Adelaide Plains nor anywhere in the Adelaide foothills. But snow nevertheless was reported at unusually low altitudes in some locations, most notably in the South-East including at Wolesley, and also on the Fleurieu Peninsula at Meadows and Bull's Creek where it's only very infrequently been reported in our recorded history, and at Delamere, and at some towns in the Mid-North other than Burra and Hallett and Mt Bryan.

Below is a detail from a weather chart dated 9am 16th August 1900 I've copied from the Todd Weather Folios. There is more newspaper reading and charts and some handwritten notes on the Sir Charles Todd Weather Folios 1879-1909 website. To find it, go to the index page and click on 1900 and then on the new page that displays click on the dates around the time of the snowfall 16th August. I don't anticipate these Todd weather folios will disappear from the internet while the internet remains in good order into the future, so if the link eventually fails a search on Google will probably find the folios at a new address.

Now to the newspaper reports I found on Trove. I've started with one of the most interesting, namely a detailed account of a snow shower in Mount Gambier.

Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA : 1861 - 1954), Saturday 18 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/81041454

{quoting snow-relevant text from longer article}

PUBLISHED EVERY WEDNESDAY AND SATURDAY MORNING.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 18, 1900.

THE WEATHER ; A SNOWFALL.—The district is passing through an extraordinary experience of wet and stormy weather. It may be safely said that nothing severer has been known for many years. During the whole of this month the weather has been stormy, but the three days since last Tuesday have been the most winterly of the 17. A very large proportion of the people of Mount Gambier—native born, of course—saw snow for the first time in their lives on Thursday morning. It occurrred at about a quarter to 10 o'clock. A very dense cloud covered the sky and caused a twilight gloom to settle over the country, which was faintly illumined by flashes of lightning; and the sound of the wind was varied by the occasional roll of thunder. The storm opened wiih a smart shower of rain and hailstones, whioh in five or ten minutes was mingled with snowflakes, that looked very pretty as they floated for some distance on the wind before falling. Then the rain and hail ceased, and for five minutes or so pure snow fell. Great interest was manifested in it, and the streets were filled with people who came out of the business places and shops to partake in "the joy of the snow falling down." The flakes melted immediately they touched the ground, but persons who stood out in the fall got covered with snow-flakes, many as large as a shilling, on their clothes and heads. For ten minutes after the rain and snow fell together. The fall was somewhat heavier on the Mount and on the elevated ground near the Hospital, but there was none farther south, we believe, than five or six miles. Beyond Compton and on towards Glencoe there was a heavier fall than in the town. The ground was covered to a depth of a quarter of an inch with snow, ferns and shrubs were whitened with it, and against fences and logs it was blown by the wind to a depth of two or three inches. It was intensely cold just after the storm, and thermometers put out in the open indicated as low as 39* F. for a few minutes. There is no reliable evidence that snow was ever ever by white men in Mount Gambier previously. There are two or three who believe they have seen snow here about 30 years ago, but there are others, equally old residents, who say they never saw snow here before. The riflemen who were shooting on the Brewery Paddock range on Wednesday olaim they saw some snow with the rain during that afternoon, and it is said there was another fall over the Mount and its foothills late on Thursday afternoon. ... There were snowfalls on Thursday at Nairne, Eudunda, Hallett, and Saddleworth, and other high lands. Our correspondent reports that there was a fall of snow at Penola on Thursday.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81041454
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page7719278
APA citation
The Border Watch, (1900, August 18). Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA : 1861 - 1954), p. 2. Retrieved November 7, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81041454

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Friday 17 August 1900, page 7
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/54445823

BASKET RANGE, August 16.— This morning we had the rare sight of hail, rain, and snow falling at the same time.
EUDUNDA. August 16.— After a particularly stormy night, during which three-quarters of an inch of rain fell, the weather this morning became unusually wintry. Shortly after 9 o'clock a smart hailstorm swept over the township, and this was immediately followed by a few feathery flakes of snow, gradually the flakes increased in number and in size, some falling thickly at about half past 9 until the ground was white, and fences, &c, were banked up a foot or more with snow. A fine snow man, with a cutty in his mouth, was speedily built, and caused much fun, while the ubiquitous camera-man was endeavouring to obtain decent records of the heaviest snowstorm Eudunda has experienced for four years. The hills presented a beautiful sight clothed in snow. Until after midday occasional light falls were reported, and the sight will be long remembered by the children, who snowballed to their hearts' content.
MARRABEL, August 16.— At about a quarter past 9 this morning a fall of snow occurred, and lasted for fully a quarter of an hour, with further light falls at intervals. The ground was white, and the snow accumulaled in small heaps in sheltered nooks and corners and heaped up against walls of buildings and along the side of hedges and fences. This is a rare occurrence, and is the largest fall known here for many years. Several residents indulged in snowballing, and in spite of the cold enjoyed the fun immensely.
MACCLESFIELD, August 16.— rain, hail, snow, sleet, thunder, and lightning were the weather characteristics to-day. There were several falls of snow in the forenoon, one lasting about fifteen minutes.
MOUNT BARKER, August 16.— The weather during the past four days has been rougher than any experienced for some years. There have been strong winds with heavy driving rain and hail-stones. There have been several light falls of snow, which is seldom seen here, during to-day.
SADDLEWORTH, August 16.— To-day a fall of snow occurred, which is believed to be the first witnessed here.
WATERVALE, August 16.— To-day is cold and bleak, with heavy showers and falls of snow.

Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904), Saturday 25 August 1900, page 4
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162397315

THE WEATHER AND CROPS.

{quoting snow-relevant text from a longer article and not including reports from ...}

HAMILTON, August: 10.—Rough weather has been experienced all this week. To-day hail and snow fell. The place is all under water.

MINTARO, August 16.—Snow fell several times to-day.

NARACOORTE, August 16.—We have been ex-periencing the roughest weather this winter during the past day or two. It has rained, hailed, and snowed, while icy-cold north-west and westerly winds have blown with strong force. About noon to-day there was a light fall of snow, the first snow that has fallen in this district.

SUMMERTOWN, August 16.—At 8 o'clock this morning there was a fine snowstorm. The wind was exceedingly strong, cold, and bleak. Shortly after noon more snow fell.

BULL'S CREEK, August 10.—We have had one of the wettest and coldest weeks on record. Since Monday rain and terrific gales of wind have been continuous. This morning we had a severe thunderstorm, followed by a snowstorm—a most unusual sight in this district. The creek has been in flood for two days, and 2½ in. of rain has fallen in 48 hours.

CALLINGTON, August 17.—There was some snow yesterday, not, however, in sufficient quantities to be able to make it into snowballs. It is the first time on record we have had snow here

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162397315
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page19009614
APA citation
THE WEATHER AND OROPS. (1900, August 25). Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904), p. 4. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162397315

Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA : 1880 - 1954), Friday 24 August 1900, page 3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/148079311

THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT
OUR WEEKLY NEWS-BUDGET.

{quoting only snow-relevant text}

Carey's Gully, August 20.
Last week was one of the coldest and wettest known in the Hills for a number of
years, nearly 5in. of rain being registered, with some hail and a little snow.

Gumeracha, August 21.
A snow shower is sufficiently rare with us to receive public mention, and the light fall which occurred on Wednesday last was a novelty to many young people in this district.

Strathalbyn, August 23.
A terrific storm passed over here on Friday morning, rain and lightning being exceptionally severe On the main road three telegraph poles were completely shattered, and telephonic communication with Milang was interrupted. All over the hills evidence of the devastating nature of the storm is to be seen—huge trees torn out of the ground and large limbs lying about everywhere, some of them carried hundreds of yards. In one of Mr. T. Walsh's paddock a large tree was struck by lightning and completely demolished. The remnant of the trunk presents a peculiar spectacle. With the exception of Tuesday the weather has been very squally and cold. Snow has made its appearance for the first time within my knowledge in our district. The Angus is again in full flood—, proof of the general nature of the rainfall in the South. The Bremer also is running very strongly.

Callington, August 22.
The past fortnight has been the roughest and the most wintry that we have had for many years. The accompanying rains have been splendid, however, and we have not been overlooked in the snow distribution either, as a slight fall occurred here on Thursday last, which is, I believe, the first on record for this district.

Blumberg [now called Birdwood], August 22.
The past week has been one of the wettest and coldest ever experienced locally.
Rain and hailstones have been the order of the day, while on Thursday we had a good fall of snow.

Mount Pleasant, August 21.
Since my last letter we have experienced one of the wettest and most disagreeable weeks imaginable. The weather has been very boisterous, with torrents of rain and some hail and snow.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article148079311
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page17352918
APA citation
THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT (1900, August 24). The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA : 1880 - 1954), p. 3. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article148079311

Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), Tuesday 21 August 1900, page 6
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/36967500
THE WEATHER AND THE COUNTRY.
{quoting only snow-relevant text from longer article}
Blumberg [now Birdwood], August 16. Since Tuesday the weather has been very boisterous, with torrents of rain, hail, and snow. The downpour has also filled up all the dams and waterholes. ...
Meadows South, August 17. We have experienced one of the wettest and most disagreeable weeks imaginable this week. Since Monday rain and most boisterous gales have been continuous, and yesterday we experienced a severe thunderstorm in the morning, which was accompanied by heavy hail, and followed by a snowstorm, which is a very unusual sight in our district. ...
Penwortham, August 17. ... On Thursday morning we had a hailstorm, followed by snow, and at about midday there was a heavy fall. It was a beautiful sight and one to be remembered. ...
Mount Compass, August 16. We are experiencing severe weather just now. Thunderstorms, with hail and heavy wind and rain, have been passing over from the south-west for the past 48 hours, ...
Snow fell on Willunga Hill this morning, and the weather is very cold. ...
{end quotes}
Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36967500
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page2446011
APA citation THE WEATHER AND THE COUNTRY. (1900, August 21). The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), p. 6. Retrieved November 5, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36967500

Burra Record (SA : 1878 - 1954), Wednesday 22 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/36108142

The Weather. — During the past week the residents [presumably referring to the residents of Burra] have experienced most unusual weather, wind, hail, rain, and snow being added to the variety. Wednesday and Thursday were the most boisterous days witnessed here for many years. The wind blew a hurricane day and night, and was accompanied by a most unusual fall of hail stones. Snow also fell, but only in small quantities, and those who ran after the few flakes to make a snow ball or two had to reluctantly give up the task, and resort to hail stones. The fall of rain has been a most beneficial one, and the ground has had a good soaking. The rain was general throughout the country, so that the prospects of a fair harvest is much greater than a few weeks ago. Snow also fell at World's End, Hallett, Mount Bryan and other places.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36108142
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page4754973
APA citation
CURRENT TOPICS. (1900, August 22). Burra Record (SA : 1878 - 1954), p. 2. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36108142

Burra Record (SA : 1878 - 1954), Wednesday 22 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/36108127
{Quoting snow-relevant text from longer article}
{"Wednesday and Thursday" would be 15th and 16th as the item was published on Wednesday 22nd August}

COURSING.
THE BURRA MEETING.
The Burra Coursing Club held its annual meeting on Wednesday and Thursday in most unfavourable weather, rain, wind hail and snow being experienced, but still the owners of dogs displayed a most uncommon sportsmanlike spirit and battled hard throughout the meeting.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36108127
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page4754973
APA citation
COURSING. (1900, August 22). Burra Record (SA : 1878 - 1954), p. 2. Retrieved November 5, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36108127

Northern Argus (Clare, SA : 1869 - 1954), Friday 24 August 1900, page 4
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/100670441

{quoting only snow-relevant text}

MOUNT BRYAN, August 18.
The weather has been extremely rough and cold during the past few days. We
have had good rains, some hail, and a light fall of snow.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article100670441
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page9620640
APA citation
News Letters. (1900, August 24). Northern Argus (Clare, SA : 1869 - 1954), p. 4. Retrieved November 7, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article100670441

Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), Saturday 25 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/208930822

Stoneleigh, Farrell's Flat, August 16.
It has been raining this past four days. We had several showers o! hail to-day, and one fall of snow.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208930822
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page22926772
APA citation
DISPATCH BAG. (1900, August 25). The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), p. 2. Retrieved November 7, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208930822

Kapunda Herald (SA : 1878 - 1951), Friday 24 August 1900, page 3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/108318563

"MARRABEL, August 22.
The weather has been so cold and wet of late that unless people were compelled to be outside they kept near the fire. We had rain the whole of last week. We also had hail, and on Thursday last we were favored with as fine a snow storm as ever I saw in this country. Many of the young people saw snow on that day for the first time, and were greatly interested in it. The snow in some places, where the wind blew it against a house, was six inches deep, and for a radius of about two miles the ground was completely covered. This winter so far has undoubtedly been the wettest we have had for many years ..."

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article108318563
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page10565091
APA citation
COUNTRY INTELLIGENCE. (1900, August 24). Kapunda Herald (SA : 1878 - 1951), p. 3. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article108318563

Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912), Thursday 16 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199965352

SNOWBALLING AT EUDUNDA.
EUDUNDA, August 16:
An unusually heavy fall of snow occurred between 9 and 10 o'clock this morning, covering the hills around. The night was a boisterous one, and plenty of rain fell, registering 0.71 in. The township is clothed in large flakes of snow, and presents a beautiful sight. The snow accumulated several inches deep in parts, affording the exhilarating sport of snowballing. Not much hail fell. The weather is still stormy.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199965352
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page22416214
APA citation
SNOWBALLING AT EUDUNDA. (1900, August 16). Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912), p. 2 (ONE O'CLOCK EDITION). Retrieved November 5, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199965352

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Tuesday 21 August 1900, page 3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/54448120

WEATHER AND CROPS.
(quoting only snow-relevant text from longer article}

MOUNT COMPASS, August 17.— On Wednesday night a heavy thunderstorm, accompanied by hail and torrents of rain, passed over here. On Thursday morning travellers on Willunga Hill were witnesses to a novel sight in the form of a fall of snow ...
MOUNT PLEASANT, August 18.— During the past week we had over 3 in. of rain, about 1½ in. falling on Wednesday — a day which was also marked by severe hailstorms and slight falls of snow.
STIRLING EAST. August 20— The past week has been one of terrific wind and rain. occasionally alternating with hail and snow.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54448120
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page4101486
APA citation
WEATHER AND CROPS. (1900, August 21). South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), p. 3. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54448120

Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), Saturday 8 September 1900, page 23
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87230224

THE WEATHER IN THE COUNTRY.
Gumeracha, August 30 The weather during this month has been the roughest we have had for years, snow, hail, and rain having fallen.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87230224
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page8462949
APA citation
THE WEATHER IN THE COUNTRY. (1900, September 8). Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), p. 23. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87230224

Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), Saturday 25 August 1900, page 22
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87797401

{quoting snow-relevant text and only items that don't appear in other newspapers I've already covered}

THE WEATHER IN THE COUNTRY.
Black Springs, August 20. On Wednesday night a splendid rain fell. It waa followed on Thursday morning by snow and several sharp showers of hail.

Delamere, August 18. The weather during the past week has been showery and unusually cold, and on Thursday last several falls of snow were seen, but they were not sufficiently heavy for any to accumulate on the ground. This is the first snow known to have fallen in this district.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87797401
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page8462843
APA citation
THE WEATHER IN THE COUNTRY. (1900, August 25). Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), p. 22. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87797401

Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), Saturday 18 August 1900, page 27
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87799527

Mr. R. F. Griffiths stated at midday on Thursday: "... The weather is very unsettled and generally squally, with rain and hail. Snow has fallen on some of the high lands, including Nairne, Eudunda, Hallett, and Saddleworth. The disturbance over Tasmania is still further increasing in energy, and is developing into one of the most extensive and energetic storm systems we have had over the Southern Ocean. The barometer on the south-west coast of Tasmania being down to 28.08 in., one of the lowest readings recorded there. ...

APA citation
A POLICY OF DELAY. (1900, August 18). Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), p. 27. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87799527

Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA : 1880 - 1954), Friday 17 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/148079285

"A Meteorological Mixture.—With snow, rain, hail, thunder, and sunshine, Mount Barker has been well treated by the capricious weather clerk during the past two days. ... . A feature of the weather has been the snow, of which there was quite a decent fall yesterday morning."

APA citation
GENERAL NEWS. (1900, August 17). The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA : 1880 - 1954), p. 2. Retrieved November 6, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article148079285

Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), Saturday 25 August 1900, page 3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/208930818

AUNT DOROTHY'S LETTER.
Nairne, August 17, 1900.
Dear Aunt Dorothy—We have had a lot of rain about here these last few days; it started on Monday, rained on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We had a lot of hail mixed with snow. We made balls with the hails, but to-day it is a little better, or, rather, finer.

APA citation
AUNT DOROTHY'S LETTER. (1900, August 25). The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), p. 3. Retrieved November 7, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208930818

Narracoorte Herald (SA : 1875 - 1954), Friday 17 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/146816250

{quoting only snow-relevant text from longer article}

FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 1900.

"A Light Fall of Snow.—Yesterday was an unusually cold day in Narracoorte. The air had a biting feeling about it, different to the ordinary coldness that we experience in these parts. During the morning we had several falls of hail, and the conditions were altogether of the character that precede a fall of snow. Of late years we have had some exceptionally severe winters, and rumors that snow has fallen in the vicinity of the town and some part of the district have on several occasions got about. There has, however, been no verification of these reports, so that they could only be taken for what they were worth. About noon yesterday, however, a light fall of snow occurred in the town, which can be testified to by many of the residents. The flakes were very light and thin, but were quite visible and easily distinguishable as the real snow. The atmosphere gave a thermometer register shortly after of 41 degrees. This is the first snow that we have seen is this district. Reports from Victoria show that snow fell in many places of that colony on Thursday."

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article146816250
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page17329455
APA citation
FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 1900. (1900, August 17). The Narracoorte Herald (SA : 1875 - 1954), p. 2. Retrieved November 7, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article146816250

Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA : 1861 - 1954), Wednesday 22 August 1900, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/81041513

{copying snow-relevant text from longer article}

NARRACOORTE.
(From our own Correspondent.)
August 20.
The weather we have been having during the past week is the coldest and wettest we have experienced this winter. Winds of icy coldness have been blowing from the north-west and west, equally showers of rain and hail have been falling, and altogether the con-ditions have been of a most unsettled and unfavorable kind. Thursday was one of the coldest days we have ever had here, and we shared with other places in a fall of snow. The fall was very light, and occurred about noon. when a shower of rain was falling.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81041513
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page7719282
APA citation
NARRACOORTE. (1900, August 22). Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA : 1861 - 1954), p. 2. Retrieved November 7, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81041513

Narracoorte Herald (SA : 1875 - 1954), Friday 17 August 1900, page 3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/146816257

AT WOLSELEY.
(By Telegraph.)
Wolseley, August 16.
The weather has been exceptionally cold and wet, with driving showers of rain and hail. About 2 o'clock to-day we had a fall of snow, which is quite a novelty for residents in this district.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article146816257
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page17329456
APA citation
AT WOLSELEY. (1900, August 17). The Narracoorte Herald (SA : 1875 - 1954), p. 3. Retrieved November 5, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article146816257

End of report.

#1424642 - 30/05/2017 04:25 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

1969 July 21st big snowfall on first Moon-walk day.

Firstly a reminder that to see the most up-to-date versions of the reports on snowfalls I've made in this thread, I suggest going to my website South Australian Snows http://sasnows.com where I've added new information to some of my reports, and reworded snippets of text, and corrected any errors I find etc. There's also links on the home page to all the reports and other items. I've also added new reports to other snow events that I've not posted here.

This report below is based on an earlier briefer report in this thread, now with some additional information after more searching on the internet, and more commentary.

The key source of information I've drawn on for this report is an image of one part of an article in The Advertiser published a day after the snowfall. The image was made by longtime Weatherzone member and snowchaser Phil = Paisley from a newspaper saved by his parents!

The Trove website doesn't extend its database of Australian newspapers beyond 1954 and there's no online digital library of Australian newspapers for the years 1955 onwards to search. If you have any further information on this snowfall please post it under this report :-)

Now to the 21st July 1969.

With impeccable timing the weathergods gave some lucky South Australians a memorable snowfall on the day Homo sapiens first set foot on the Moon.

The limited information I've been able to find on the internet suggests that in at least parts of the Mid-North this snowfall was one of the biggest in the last six and a half decades since 1951. Whether snow fell south of the Barossa Ranges I don't know.

Phil Bagust (aka Paisley on the Weatherzone forums) says on his web page http://users.on.net/~paisley/SnowWX.html "A new cold outbreak - July 22nd 1969
I recently discovered a new cold outbreak thanks to the fact my parents had kept the Advertisers published during the Apollo 11 moon landing in late July 1969. Of interest are the dates mentioned by 'old timers' with respect to previous outbreaks."

He posted the image below of the first part of an article which was published on page 1 of The Advertiser on July 22nd 1969. The day the snow fell was the 21st July so Phil may have used the publishing date of the article as the date of the snow event.

The article says "Cont'd. page 3" at the bottom of the text. Phil didn't include an image of the continuation of the article on page 3 and I don't have any simple means of accessing it short of visiting the State Library of South Australia and looking for it there, so its contents will remain a mystery here for the present. It may contain more information about the snowfall or maybe turns to other weather-related news.

I found a report that it snowed in the Barossa Ranges, which I've documented further down this page. On an ABC message board "kimmmichelmore" recalled "... later in the day it snowed in the Barossa Ranges and Mum took us for a drive in our trusty old Holden to see snow ...".

I've not found information yet on whether snow fell in the Flinders Ranges (other than at Oodlawirra), or in the Mt Lofty Ranges south of the Barossa Ranges, or in the Fleurieu Peninsula or in the South-East.

Referring to Phil's comment "Of interest are the dates mentioned by 'old timers' with respect to previous outbreaks" the newspaper article says "The Postmaster at Mt Bryan (Mr G.D. Paech) said ... "The locals say it was the heaviest fall in memory and more extensive than in 1936 [that may be 1938 - Miles] ... ." While we don't know how many locals contributed to reaching this consensus, nevertheless it does suggest this may have been on around the top of the list of heavy snowfalls for the years from 1936 (or 1938) to 1969 at Mount Bryan the town.

Now to Phil's image of the page 1 section of the Advertiser article.

Below is a larger version I made from Phil's original image to assist with reading the text.

"Kgb007" aka Kym Burton posted a link on the Weatherzone forums to a montage of 4 photos of a snow-covered landscape in hills near Jamestown: He commented "Found these photos while perusing my other love, SAR Railways!The photos are given the date 21st July 1969."
http://www.johnnyspages.com/jamestown_files/27_snow_at_jamestown.jpg

For anyone interested in the history of the South Australian railways the source of the photos http://www.johnnyspages.com is a mine of valuable and interesting information.
"Johnny's Pages
Old S.A.R. Shunter's Memories"
by John (Johnny) Masson

Here's some information accompanying the photos.

"It snowed just out of Jamestown towards Belalie North twice in the 7 years while I was there, once as seen in the pictures below. Was pretty sight as I'd never seen snow before."

"Pictures above were taken out towards Belalie North. Actually it was the day after the Americans landed on the moon.
My car was a 1956 Ford V8 Customline, they made nice cars back then. ... ".

Now to an episode of the ABC science television program "Quantum" and for our purposes, two viewers' comments on an ABC message board. The ABC webpage with the embedded video and the accompanying message board with the comments is here http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/video/

"What are your memories of the Moon landing? "Do you remember where you were when you first saw the amazing images beamed back from the moon? ... . Share your memories on our message board."

kimmmichelmore : 17 Jul 2009 8:54:02am
I was in Grade 7 at Nuriootpa Primary School in the Barossa. The school gave us the day off - we sat at home glued to our PYE space ship style TV and watched in lovely black and white as the Eagle landed and Armstrong walked on the moon. It was sooo cold - later in the day it snowed in the Barossa Ranges and Mum took us for a drive in our trusty old Holden to see snow - two firsts on one day"

winzora : 21 Jul 2009 9:35:13am
Such a memorable day! I was only 5 and living in Peterborough (mid north of S.A.). We got sent home from school because there was no TV there. Luckily, we had a TV, so my brother and I spent the day running from the lounge room, then outside to play in the front yard..... in the snow! Reading the other comments, it appears that Australia was in the grip of a cold snap, as other people recollect experiencing snowy conditions that normally wouldn't expereince it. ... ."

The Burra History Group Inc. on July 13th 2016 posted onto their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/burrahistory/ the following text under an introduction which included "Here are a few snippets from the Burra Record about very cold weather from 1935 to 1972. ...".

"22 July 1969, page 1
Weather. On 21 July an inch of rain with some hail and fairly heavy snow fell throughout the district. The rain began about 5 p.m. Sunday and continued to about 3 a.m. when heavy hail fell. Snow began to fall at about 7.10 a.m. becoming quite heavy by 7.30 a.m. and continuing until 8.15 a.m. Burra and the surrounding hills were covered in snow. At Hallett it lay two to three inches deep for miles and also at Mt Bryan, where it remained on the Mount till late afternoon. Snow was also reported at Clare, Mintaro, Whyte Yarcowie, Booborowie and Farrell Flat, where there was a further light fall at 2.30 p.m.
In the hills between Mt Bryan and Booborowie it lay six inches deep for some time. The main street of Burra was covered by three to four inches. Mr George Fairchild reported heavy snow on the Booborowie mail run via Leighton. Power failures were reported from Booborowie, Mt Bryan and Hallett. Between Waterloo and Burra power interruptions have occurred in the past few days, but magpies were to blame, having been building nests with short lengths of fencing wire. It was generally said to be the heaviest fall of snow for at least 40 years and possibly since 1901. It will easily be remembered as occurring on the same day man first set foot upon the moon. Burra’s 105 points of rain includes 21 points of snow."

This link may take you to a very impressive photo of snow cover in Burra posted into the above thread and captioned : "21 July 1969 Don Lloyd's house at Springbank" https://scontent.fadl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...2de&oe=59B1CB63

End of report "1969 July 21st big snowfall on first Moon-walk day".

#1426088 - 16/06/2017 03:11 Re: Snow in South Australia [Re: Unstable]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here are two reports of snow falling in Gladstone in the Mid-North, current home town of longstanding Weatherzone member and one of our best landscape and weather photographers Skysthelimit aka Lord Gladstone. Snowfalls in Gladstone seem to be very rare events judging from my records. According to Bonzle, Gladstone (name in magenta upper centre in Bonzle screentake) is at an altitude of approximately 229m which probably explains why it's a rare event. Two falls in three years would suggest there were earlier snowfalls in the town before 1917 but these are the first two records I've documented.

Gladstone 21st August 1917: "Never in the memory of the oldest inhabitant has snow fallen in Gladstone before."

The Areas' Express (Booyoolee, SA : 1877 - 1948) Fri 24 Aug 1917 Page 2.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/218935332

{quoting relevant text from longer article}

Gladstone had a unique experience on Tuesday forenoon in the shape of
a snowstorm. Never in the memory of the oldest inhabitant has snow fall-
en in Gladstone before. There had been several rain showers in the morn-
ing and the air was cold with a dull leaden sky. A 11.15 a.m., after a
sharp fall of hail, snow began to fall. At first the flakes were small, but
soon larger ones appeared, and by 11. 30 it was coming down "all white".
The flakes varied in size from a three penny piece to a half crown. It pre-
sented a wonderful and beautiful sight, for few Gladstonians had ever
seen snow fall. Many expressions such as "How lovely "What a
beautiful sight", could be heard everywhere. For full half an hour it fell
thus giving the people some faint idea of what our boys at the front must
have to put up with in the cold northern winter. The snow did not lie
long, but while it did, everyone except the bedridden and extremely aged
came out to see it. People held up their hands to catch the snowflakes
and everyone who could indulged in snowballing. At one time the main
street presented quite a lively appearance with snowballs hurtling
through the air. It caused quite an excitement. Everyone has been asking
everyone else "Did you see the snow?" The incident will be long
remembered.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article218935332
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page23484143
APA citation
No title (1917, August 24). The Areas' Express (Booyoolee, SA : 1877 - 1948), p. 2. Retrieved April 15, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article218935332

Recorder (Port Pirie, SA : 1919 - 1954), Tuesday 9 September 1919, page 3.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/95460317

{quoting snow-relevant part of longer article}

Gladstone
EXTRAORDINARY WEATHER.
HAIL, SNOW, AND RAIN.

Residents of Gladstone, particularly those who rose early, were treated to a glorious sight on Sunday morning. The ground was covered to an average depth of half an inch with snow. Roofs and trees also bore white mantles. Mount Herbert presented a fine spectacle, as did the Bundaleer Hills. Snow began to fall about a quarter past twelve on Sunday morning, fell again about three o'clock, at six o'clock, and again on Sunday afternoon at 2.15.

On Saturday night, at half past 8, there was a heavy fall of hail. Hail also fell during Sunday morning. The total fall till nine o'clock yesterday morning was 108 points. That added to the 27 points of a week ago, has settled all anxiety regarding crops and summer feed.

On Sunday morning snowballing was indulged in. One resident made a miniature snow man, and stuck it on the gatepost in front of the house in evidence of the intense cold. It was practically intact early yesterday morning. The weather is still dull, and further showers are likely.

Article identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article95460317
Page identifier
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page9216934
APA citation
Gladstone (1919, September 9). Recorder (Port Pirie, SA : 1919 - 1954), p. 3. Retrieved April 4, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article95460317

Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17

Moderator:  Helen, Lindsay Knowles, Markus, teckert 
Who's Online
1 registered (Trumper), 253 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
ronaldo7, Storm within
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23760 Topics
1472191 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image