Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1429127 - 28/07/2017 22:13 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Originally Posted By: @_Yasified_shak
In Typical Telstra style i received a letter from them outlining their latest proposal to increase my home line rental charges by an extra $2 a month from the first of October, hmm coincidentally exactly the same day they are supposed to shut the Broadband ADSL down in our area.

I have looked into the NBN and Spintel seems reasonable, (and you don't have to go on a contract if you don't want to...) you even get a phone connection for $49 a month and .10 local and national calls, when you compare it to Telscums $109 a month for the same thing and they charge like a wounded bull for national calls.

So i may give it a go while i still have Tescum as a backup.

Scott, you may want to think of something similar, as at this point in time you can get free installation for the NBN/ antenna, after the end of September the buggers will charge you for installations, and from what i have read it is about $300?

My Telstra plan 25/5 is $90 per month which includes family credit for a nominated mobile phone, free Local calls to standard fixed lines, free National Calls to standard fixed lines and includes a wireless Telstra TV box for Netflix, Youtube and other entertainment apps. And a similar bundle from Spintel comes to $69.95 a month plus I know someone who is with Spintel and the speed drops right down between 4pm and 8pm. You get what you pay for as the cheaper ones don't buy enough bandwidth to lower their costs. And my download speed stays around 24Mbps constantly.

#1429133 - 28/07/2017 23:37 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Yasified, be careful. Once you go onto NBN you can't go back.

I was told by a tech the other day that those of us who have no option but satellite won't be having our adsl cut off.

#1429135 - 29/07/2017 00:13 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Planned | nbn™ Fibre to the node (FTTN)
Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2018*

Still another year away for me. Personally clinging to the slightest of hope that we don't get it.

#1429139 - 29/07/2017 08:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Mega]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: Mega
Planned | nbn™ Fibre to the node (FTTN)
Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2018*

Still another year away for me. Personally clinging to the slightest of hope that we don't get it.

Me too. I'd sooner kčep my adsl 2 than go on fttn .

#1429143 - 29/07/2017 10:39 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: bundybear]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Originally Posted By: Red Watch
My Telstra plan 25/5 is $90 per month which includes family credit for a nominated mobile phone, free Local calls to standard fixed lines, free National Calls to standard fixed lines and includes a wireless Telstra TV box for Netflix, Youtube and other entertainment apps. And a similar bundle from Spintel comes to $69.95 a month plus I know someone who is with Spintel and the speed drops right down between 4pm and 8pm. You get what you pay for as the cheaper ones don't buy enough bandwidth to lower their costs. And my download speed stays around 24Mbps constantly.

Spintel is basically dipping my toes in the water to see if the system will even work here,our neighbours have NBN and their Wireless phone drops out all the time according to them. We are in an area where we do not get mobile reception, and even TV reception is dodgy without a booster.

Personally i am sick of Telstra, as how it stands we had no other choice but to use them (for phone and internet).

Once we got the phone line fixed it was only a few days later before a hum noise returned to the line, but this time it only took them 2 days to get here and *fix* the problem.But basically 2 days later the hum is back.....

The Tech basically stated that the line that runs thru the neighbours paddock needs to be replaced, and that he will put a work request in for it to be replaced, but he doesn't like his chances of them actually replacing the line, as they want you to get off the copper and onto the NBN.

Technically speaking they aren't even employed by Telstra now, as he put it they are employed by the Guvment,even their new vehicles don't come out with a Telstra logo on them.

The 4-8pm slow down does not really concern me that much, as i normally don't use the computer at that time of day anyway.

Originally Posted By: bundybear
Yasified, be careful. Once you go onto NBN you can't go back.

I was told by a tech the other day that those of us who have no option but satellite won't be having our adsl cut off.

Our area is serviced by NBN so it looks like the ADSL will be switched off, and sooner or later the will stop maintaining the copper altogether.They will also jack the prices up on ADSL higher and higher to make it unviable.

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1429145 - 29/07/2017 10:46 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ
If you can only get nbn wireless or satellite, your copper won't be switched off.

#1429148 - 29/07/2017 11:37 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: bundybear]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
Originally Posted By: bundybear

They can and eventually will if the USO is changed so that USO voice services can be supplied over satellite and mobile networks.

#1429179 - 29/07/2017 17:06 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
scott12 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: maadi Tully area
Dean, can you check to see if you have a strong enough wireless signal to make it a viable option before being placed in the position that they end up putting a crappy satellite on your roof and you just have to live with a service that is inferior to what we have now...?..

#1429237 - 30/07/2017 06:46 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Personally i am sick of Telstra, as how it stands we had no other choice but to use them (for phone and internet).

Yep, so much for a free market . Ironic that the Coalition keep crowing about the importance of a free market but they sabotaged the NBN to protect a duopoly.

#1429378 - 31/07/2017 13:46 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

"Will my existing phone and internet services really stop working if I don’t do anything to switch to the nbn™ network?

Yes, this is the case for the 93% of Australian premises connected to the nbn™ network via a fixed line technology. You can see where fixed line technologies have been installed in the nbn™ rollout map. We recommend you migrate your services over to the nbn™ network well before they are switched off, which occurs 18 months after the nbn™ network is switched on in your area.

When ordering an nbn service in Satellite or Fixed Wireless areas, have a discussion with your service provider about your existing landline. Consider keeping the service active if you rely on the landline in emergency situations."

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-...r-landline.html

There is no mention of ADSL staying on for Satellite or Fixed Wireless only customers just the land line itself.

#1429459 - 01/08/2017 11:47 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Originally Posted By: scott12
Dean, can you check to see if you have a strong enough wireless signal to make it a viable option before being placed in the position that they end up putting a crappy satellite on your roof and you just have to live with a service that is inferior to what we have now...?..

Yes, they are supposed to come around and do a signal strength test before any installation,apparently if you are in a spot with a weak signal, or you will be worse off than you are now you can keep your ADSL connection.

But, you have to wonder how long the Guvment will want to maintain a copper network for? especially for lowly country dwellers? 2 years 5 years? Will they keep jacking the prices up? will they even come and maintain the lines?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1429698 - 03/08/2017 19:11 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
scott12 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: maadi Tully area
I think I will wait until they iron out some of the bugs first..after reading about your recent experience's Dean I just dont want to deal with all the possible bullshit..

#1430092 - 07/08/2017 19:26 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: scott12

Yes, they are supposed to come around and do a signal strength test before any installation,apparently if you are in a spot with a weak signal, or you will be worse off than you are now you can keep your ADSL connection.

But, you have to wonder how long the Guvment will want to maintain a copper network for? especially for lowly country dwellers? 2 years 5 years? Will they keep jacking the prices up? will they even come and maintain the lines?

Plus even if they do maintain the copper landline who says they will keep the ADSL exchange running for a reduced amount of customers.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
7 registered (Colin Maitland, adon, Weary, HughJarse, rainiac, 2 invisible), 299 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29346 Members
32 Forums
23664 Topics
1458998 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image