Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#1438808 - 24/10/2017 22:00 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Locke]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
Originally Posted By: Locke
With Mobile brodband data allowances creeping up in response to demand home broadband is on its way to becoming redundant.

By the time the NBN is fully rolled out the first of the satellite internet constellations should be up and running and Telstra can go..... well you get the drift.

Latest big Telstra plans are getting there - up to 100GB but boy do you pay for it....$200 / mth!

My iPhone 7 has a faster connection on the 4GX mobile service than on the NBN home line via WIFI and that’s thanks to the stupid ‘co-existence’ shaping that’s imposed until ADSL is turned off.

Mind you, Telstra Sales are blissfully unaware of this so will happily sell you the Super Dooper Fast service with the extra charge only to see no change in line or connection speed so its back to spending another 30min talking to India again.

I hate to think how much people who arent even a bit tech savvy are getting shafted

#1438874 - 25/10/2017 13:01 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: wilyms]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
.NBN: What would you pay to get fibre? For one Queenslander, it's $218,000
A Queenslander has coughed up $217,600 to upgrade their internet connection from fixed wireless to fibre broadband.
That is more than double the highest cost incurred by NBN Co in rolling out fibre to a single premises according to information circulated by the internet wholesaler today.
According to a list of the 10 most expensive fibre builds in each state, NBN Co spent $91,000 to connect a single premises in Ravenswood, $87,000 on a bowling club in Invermay and $56,000 on a house in Kingston — all in Tasmania.
This morning Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull conceded there was a "reasonable question mark" over whether the NBN Co would ever turn a profit.
Following inquiries from ABC News, the company has now conceded there were errors in the list, including a duplicate entry for Kingston in Tasmania

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/technology-choice-how-much-for-nbn-fibre/9076738

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1439401 - 27/10/2017 16:26 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Just like all the experts advised them it would !

These the same experts that said the Labor skymuster satellite would be all amazing and wonderful?

When it is a pathetic pile of poo. If burns through $10-$15 a month in electricity along to power the modem. Regardless of whether you have it working or not.

#1439523 - 28/10/2017 22:53 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: RC]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Originally Posted By: RC
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Just like all the experts advised them it would !

These the same experts that said the Labor skymuster satellite would be all amazing and wonderful?

When it is a pathetic pile of poo. If burns through $10-$15 a month in electricity along to power the modem. Regardless of whether you have it working or not.

Sky Muster may have been conceived by Labor but was launched under LNP in 2015 - 2016 and it may be poo but remember a lot of the people who only can get Sky muster are typically located in remote, regional or rural Australia. Many of these areas currently have limited internet connectivity, and in some cases, none at all.

Edited by Red Watch (28/10/2017 22:54)

#1439525 - 28/10/2017 23:56 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Red Watch]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: Red Watch

Sky Muster may have been conceived by Labor but was launched under LNP in 2015 - 2016

...and we all know how good they are at telecommunications wink

#1439549 - 29/10/2017 08:51 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Red Watch]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
[quote=RC]
Sky Muster may have been conceived by Labor but was launched under LNP in 2015 - 2016 and it may be poo but remember a lot of the people who only can get Sky muster are typically located in remote, regional or rural Australia. Many of these areas currently have limited internet connectivity, and in some cases, none at all.

Do you think they just go to "satellites r us" and buy one off the shelf? Takes years and years to build a satellite. The satellite NBN is entirely what labor ordered. The silly idiots had no idea what they were doing and it shows with the pathetically small download quotas, power hungry modem which is too bad if you are on solar power and constant outages. I tried it and went back to 3G. It was far more reliable with no noticeable drop in browsing speed.

As only for "remote" people. That is just propaganda. My area has ADSL, it was always getting NBN satellite.

#1439639 - 29/10/2017 18:05 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Why don't you go and ask Turnbull why you can't get FTTP instead of satellite.
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2483587

Edited by Red Watch (29/10/2017 18:07)

#1439643 - 29/10/2017 18:15 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Federal LNP Blair candidate Teresa Harding said the Sky Muster service would provide a faster online experience for internet users living in regional and remote areas.

She said the availability of the service was great news for the region.

"The Australian Government has invested $2 billion in two advanced Ka-band satellites and a network of ground stations that make up the Sky Muster service," she said.

"The remoteness of our continent and its islands is no longer a barrier to broadband connectivity thanks to NBN's Sky Muster.

"Many homes and businesses in Blair are still dependent on very basic internet access which makes even online banking or emailing difficult.

"Sky Muster will change all that for many thousands of Australians."
https://m.qt.com.au/news/low-speed-internet-a-thing-of-the-past/3014389/

#1439647 - 29/10/2017 18:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Tony Abbott's NBN - Mad as Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=b-6E5yX1E0U

Edited by Red Watch (29/10/2017 18:24)

#1439713 - 29/10/2017 23:09 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: RC]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: RC
[quote=RC]

Do you think they just go to "satellites r us" and buy one off the shelf? Takes years and years to build a satellite. The satellite NBN is entirely what labor ordered. The silly idiots had no idea what they were doing and it shows with the pathetically small download quotas, power hungry modem which is too bad if you are on solar power and constant outages. I tried it and went back to 3G. It was far more reliable with no noticeable drop in browsing speed.

As only for "remote" people. That is just propaganda. My area has ADSL, it was always getting NBN satellite.

I had satellite years ago. Before my dodgy adsl. Hint of wind or rain and no internet. Bird land on the disk and no internet.

I am sticking with my adsl until I am forced off then will probably rely on my mobile because I refuse to pay a fortune for access that I won't be able to rely on especially when I need it most like bad weather.

Instead of the billions of dollars that we taxpayers have paid for this dodgy system we would have been better off having mobile towers installed. The speed on mobile in Brisvegas astounded me. It could even save lives by being used to make emergency calls.

#1439933 - 30/10/2017 22:56 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

The problem is there are a lot of blackspots on mobile broadband I lost reception driving over Harvey range not far from Townsville and there is a small community there and these people will probably have to use satellite if they don't have Adsl. Even 5g will be subjected to congestion and will need external aerials like I had to use to get 4g when telstra were changing my phone from voip to the nbn box. Our current fttp is capable of 10Gbps with new coloured lasers.
https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-pr...technology.html

#1439950 - 31/10/2017 09:21 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
The nbn is set up so those city dwellers have super fast broadband at the expense of the rural dwellers. Like everything. Good roads don't exist in rural areas. Telecommunications don't do well either.

The things city dwellers can't live without are lived without daily by the rural folk. Local tv? No, put in a satellite. Why would a person living near Bundaberg want to know what's going on there. They don't want to know the butcher is having a massive sale. They do however get to know the butcher in Alice Springs is.

Every time there is an improvement it means for city dwellers.

Maybe the rural folk need to secede from the govt and spend their tax money on improvements for themselves instead of funding the big cities.

In fact, it is already happening. What a national shame. When people have to go to the length of creating their own utilities because the govt and the city dwellers don't give a hoot about them and don't realise without them they would be so far up poop creek even if they had a paddle it would be useless.

But those complaining they only get 3gb per second please keep complaining. Those of us who get 0.98 mbps regualarly probably won't know because we don't have good enough access to know. Heck, I would be happy to have 5 mbps.

Edited by bundybear (31/10/2017 09:21)

#1439976 - 31/10/2017 15:43 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
There are country areas with the old FTTP though already.

#1443427 - 02/12/2017 23:45 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
In the area I live, we will be receiving FTTC instead of FTTN which is the closest we'll ever get to FTTP. Not sure why, maybe it's because I'm close to the center of town, either way I'm happy....at least until I have to move! Meanwhile residents just a few hundred metres down the road don't appear to be as lucky as they'll be serviced by the much less reliable FTTN. Don't think it's fair at all how who gets what is basically luck of the draw with this NBN rollout, tbh.

#1444651 - 12/12/2017 12:41 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: bundybear]
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Originally Posted By: bundybear
When people have to go to the length of creating their own utilities because the govt and the city dwellers don't give a hoot about them and don't realise without them they would be so far up poop creek even if they had a paddle it would be useless.

Indeed!!! We are currently on SkyMuster. Download speeds on our beam are not too shabby (up to 25Mbps), but the data allowance is poor for what you pay and ping times of 605ms and more are shocking.
So, getting sick of the run around with Telstra and not satisfied with other forms of internet access, one of our local techs has gone out on his own and is connecting the Mid North to fixed wireless (in places that the NBN will never put FW towers). We're due to be connected up tomorrow (though I wouldn't blame the tech if he put it off to a cooler day as we're expecting 40ºC+).
We'll be going from a 215GB, 25/5 allowance to 1TB, 30/5 allowance for just a few dollars more than what we're paying now and not having to worry about the latency that the satellite has... Netflix here we come!!! grin
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
1 registered (Trumper), 258 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
ronaldo7, Storm within
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23760 Topics
1472191 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image