Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#1493182 - 05/03/2019 13:50 Re: Atmospheric Rivers [Re: Flowin]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
NW Cloud-band are definite AR's and they are more common here than you think but we don't have a huge mountainous region they drive into unlike SW USA so their impacts aren't as extreme.

For inland areas NW cloud bands are critical sources of rain.

#1493239 - 05/03/2019 22:09 Re: Atmospheric Rivers [Re: Kino]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
Originally Posted By: Kino
NW Cloud-band are definite AR's and they are more common here than you think but we don't have a huge mountainous region they drive into unlike SW USA so their impacts aren't as extreme.

For inland areas NW cloud bands are critical sources of rain.

I agree NW cloud bands are a critical source of rain for inland areas. An AR definition for Australia, which could perhaps be in the form of concentrated moisture or integrated water vapour transport, could potentially clarify whether such weather is recognised as an AR. An appropriate label yes / vs / no does not concern me so much as the concept itself.

#1493242 - 05/03/2019 22:19 Re: Atmospheric Rivers [Re: Seira]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
Originally Posted By: Seira
Originally Posted By: Flowin
Originally Posted By: ashestoashes
IVT(Integrated Vapour transport) ....

If someone has the numbers on the amount of moisture a NW Cloud-band transports that would be a huge help.

Yes A2A that is the challenge of getting the numbers for IVT. If you look at the units of IVT, it can be simplified to product of the amount of preciptable water (often reported as mm, but equally represented as Kg/m2) and the speed it is travelling (m/s) gives kg m-1 s-1.

Preciptable water estimates can be found on the mimic-TPW product,
http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mt...4hrs&anim=html5
(not much precipitable water in the current WA weather it appears).
I have not found any useful IVT products that cover Australia

Whichever measurements/figures of IWVT and TPW people can find, the calculations for finding those variables will require air and dew-point temperature, and partial water-vapour pressure data at a bare minimum (from radiosonde profiles).

Seira, I agree that TPW can be extraordinarily difficult to measure, when all of the physics reasoning variables are considered, and relatively few radiosonde actual data measurements. I notice the californian interests in ARs has inspired increasing data measurements with radiosondes including flights to target better measurements.
I tend to use the word TPW "estimates" is that is all it is a best. Although an estimate only and not a firm measurement I find it interesting to have some view on estimated TPW as that is better than no view.
Interestingly, the BoM thought TPW worth commenting on in their recent special climate statement regarding notable early Feb 2019 rainfall that led to the NQ floods.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/statements/scs69.pdf

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online
7 registered (wet sky, FNQ Bunyip, GringosRain, Timbuck, MattS, RC, wilyms), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Bob1, Zena
Forum Stats
29896 Members
32 Forums
24119 Topics
1522374 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image