Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#1441889 - 21/11/2017 15:39 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
That was a humourous comment except it's not - missed out completely is a real shame.

#1441896 - 21/11/2017 16:47 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: J Pabo]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
Originally Posted By: J Pabo
Here is my report for that event for my place, and it is a very small report indeed. And here it is:

Excellent report Mr Pabo! Thanks for taking the time and effort to let us all know how it panned out in your area.
If I had done a report for the same event, it would have been as equally full of detail and excitement.

#1441897 - 21/11/2017 16:52 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline

From experience I know too well what it's like when all that lovely rain completely sidesteps where you are.

As you too experienced homey it was more hit and miss than first thought. At least the patterns are more conducive the last month or 2 than they were previously.

Hopefully as each "event" occurs we all end up getting soaked smile

At some point down the track I hope everyone is sick of the rain grin

#1441901 - 21/11/2017 17:09 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: DaveM]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
Originally Posted By: DaveM
From experience I know too well what it's like when all that lovely rain completely sidesteps where you are.

As you too experienced homey it was more hit and miss than first thought. At least the patterns are more conducive the last month or 2 than they were previously.

Hopefully as each "event" occurs we all end up getting soaked smile

At some point down the track I hope everyone is sick of the rain grin

Absolutely Dave.
It's just mother nature going through her cycles. (Am I allowed to say that)?
We'll all get rain eventually. Sometimes they are hit and miss and sometimes it's widespread. Luck of the draw. I don't take it too seriously until people's livelihoods come into play.

#1441924 - 21/11/2017 21:06 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: Kino]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Very short video of some of the close lightning in Kiama / Shellharbour area. Only one bolt actually on camera, but you will see many flashes and very short flash to bang times. Turn up the volume as camera audio is poor.

Best to watch in full HD on YT site, rather than the embedded video.

#1441981 - 22/11/2017 12:38 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: Homer]
J Pabo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Clydesdale NSW
Originally Posted By: Homer
Originally Posted By: J Pabo
Here is my report for that event for my place, and it is a very small report indeed. And here it is:

Excellent report Mr Pabo! Thanks for taking the time and effort to let us all know how it panned out in your area.
If I had done a report for the same event, it would have been as equally full of detail and excitement.

My mother always said "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Otherwise, I could have done a Clark Griswald version of what he said about his boss in the National Lampoons Xmas Vacation (still a classic movie to this day).

#1441989 - 22/11/2017 14:57 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline

And surely guaranteed to be broadcast again on TV in the next few weeks smile

I always remember the cat smile

#1442332 - 25/11/2017 22:48 Re: Surface Trough/Upper Cold Pool/Low, Thurs 16/11 - 20/11/2017 - Severe storms, showers and rain [Re: Kino]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Hey gang, sadly I'm back home in Melbourne. Here's my report for the last day of my epic weekend Sydney, which was last Monday. frown

I left my accommodation in Parramatta at 10am and caught the bus through Carlingford to Epping. From there I took the train to the City via Macquarie University, Macquarie Park, Chatswood, Artarmon, St Leonards, North Sydney and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, reaching Central Station by about midday.

I then spent my final five hours in Sydney aboard the Explorer Big Buses, firstly doing the Bondi & Bays Tour (including Bondi Beach, Vaucuse and Rose Bay) and then the Sydney Tour (including the City, Pyrmont, Kings Cross, Wolloomooloo, Darling Harbour, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge). smile

By the time I returned to Central station about 4:30pm it was time to grab my baggage and catch the train the Sydney Airport for my flight home to Melbourne. frown

I reached Kingsford-Smith shortly before 5pm, in time for my flight which was scheduled to depart for Melbourne at about 6:30pm. But because the plane was late in reaching Sydney from Hobart I had to wait about an hour for take-off. poke

The flight back to Melbourne took just under 1.5 hours. After resting a bit at Tullamarine, I then took the Skybus to Southern Cross and then the train to Belgrave. I reached home at about 11:30pm.

Weatherwise it was a mixed bag. A coolish, overcast, damp and rainy start to the day in Sydney, with the rain ruining any initial plans I had of taking the Parramatta River ferry from Meadowbank to Circular Quay (after getting on the relevant train at Epping Ė if this scenario were to happen lol). But at least that decision saved time and kept me dry.

Thankfully the weather started improving while I was on the Explorer Big Bus heading for Bondi, and by the time I reached there the Sun finally came out! Apart from one last straggling spitting shower that blew ashore from the Tasman Sea/South Pacific Ocean while at Bondi, the rest of the afternoon was gloriously fine, mild to warm and mostly sunny, albeit humid but with a refreshing easterly/southeasterly breeze. Perfect for enjoying what Sydney has to offer! grin

The delayed flight home to Melbourne worked well to my advantage in terms of weather, much like my flight to Sydney in June 2015 when it was delayed long enough for me to catch a magnificent sunset over Parramatta River, Western Sydney and the Blue Mountains during the final decent into Sydney Airport! This time around the flight was delayed long enough for me to witness a beautiful sunset the whole way back to Melbourne!! grin

Extensive low cloud hugged the Wollongong region of the Illawarra and up onto the Southern Highlands, with cumulus scattered offshore. Skies were mostly clear over the Southern Tablelands and Murrumbidgee River Valley south of Canberra, as well as over the Snowy Mountains, down to the South Coast and across the Murray River near Corryong into Northeast Victoria;. The only exception was for some high cloud tinged pink and orange by the setting sun over the Lake Eucumbene and Lake Jindabyne region. The plane left NSW/ACT at about 8:10pm, whereas I flew into NSW/ACT last Friday week at about 11:10am

Plenty of bubbly cumulus congestus cloud scattered along the Victorian High Country, with one lone massive cumulonimbus thunderstorm cloud over Mount Buller near Mansfield! The storm was towering up to a good 35-40,000 feet, with the false-cirrus anvil drifting off towards the northwest; the plane actually flew straight into this cloud during its decent into Melbourne, but with only very slight turbulence. No lightning was visible from the main storm tower though, even though it was getting very dark by this time. Still, what a treat! I had never flown this close to a thunderstorm before!! grin

The flight concluded with high cloud to the west of Melbourne splashed with fire as the Sun disappeared. By the time I disembarked from the plane at Melbourne Airport, the twilight was vanishing and darkness was closing in rapidly.

It was actually hotter and noticeably more humid in Melbourne than in Sydney, but at least I had a good nightís sleep by the time I finally reached home. smile

As stated earlier this was my sixth trip to Sydney, and itís also one of the few times Iíve travelled two or more times to the same Australian capital city away from Melbourne within 12 months haha! grin

I have to admit I love NSW/ACT almost as much as Victoria, and I love Sydney almost as much as Melbourne. The more I explore whenever I'm in NSW/ACT the more I want to keep exploring. smile

Full BOM stats from my trip to come in the next couple of days, but otherwise that sums up my latest adventure in NSW/ACT. Looking forward to my next trip north across the Murray River. Cheers guys! wink

PS Great shot from the Blue Mountains Steve! smile

Edited by aussiestormfreak (25/11/2017 22:55)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Who's Online
4 registered (Sidney, Jimi, 2 invisible), 352 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29681 Members
32 Forums
23981 Topics
1501152 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image