Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13
Topic Options
#1444682 - 12/12/2017 21:20 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
I have an older dog that I am seriously considering putting down. As she has got older she has got stupider. A storm 100k away is enough to start. She has chewed through the inch thick red cedar on the veranda, shredded my front door, destroyed every screen in the house. I have had to put a doggy door in the window but that still isn't enough. Once inside she has chewed the toilet seat. Will not get out from under my feet if I am home. She just shakes.

Valium. No effect. Herbal remedies. No effect. Music, no effect. Tried desentising. No effect.

It is at the stage I now muzzle her to stop her chewing the house apart. Pity I can't go out for a day in case a storm happens whilst I am gone.

#1444683 - 12/12/2017 21:42 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
That is a difficult situation
If I were faced with the same then trying my best to be and portray calm is what I would aim for.

#1444685 - 12/12/2017 22:02 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Flowin]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Flowin
That is a difficult situation
If I were faced with the same then trying my best to be and portray calm is what I would aim for.

Being calm makes no difference. She will still destroy the house.

She is also having other behavior issues. Attacking the other dogs for no reason except they are on the veranda, beside me, in the yard. Where once she loved it when the house filled with the kids now she hides.

#1444688 - 12/12/2017 22:34 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
your situation is more difficult than I what I initially interpreted
But calm is always an essential ingredient even if other stuff out of control ☺️

#1444697 - 13/12/2017 06:34 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
pabloako Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Ocean View, Queensland
A friend of mine has a Golden Retriever who almost had fits during a storm. They purchased a dog "Thunder Shirt" during a trip to the USA and it works wonders. As soon as a storm is approaching, they pop it on and the dog is much calmer.
Having said that, the first time it was put on the dog went nuts!

There is an Aussie website and they do a money back thing if it doesn't work. May be worth a go.

GFS + Long Range - http://www.OceanViewWeather.com.au/GFS
Satellite Images - http://www.OceanViewWeather.com.au/Satellite

#1444698 - 13/12/2017 07:40 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
TWEEDSTORM Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Heads NSW
Ah well our canine friends won't have to worry for a good while back to the trademark blocking high for our part of the world

#1444710 - 13/12/2017 10:15 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Hi all ,Yeah some dogs are really scared of storms and their owners too .The dog picks up on you pacing and looking out windows and that makes them worse ,Better to sit quietly give then a pat but don't over do it as the know something is up . i recently lost my old dog and rescued a greyhound from Gatton uni He used to donate blood regularly he was 4years old been at the uni 1 yeah was basically untrained except on the lead He has adapted to his new home lives on the lounge lol ,he is very funny playfull loves his box of toys Thunderstorms don't worry him . Afte living in a crate for racing then at uni he was treated well but now he has found freedom it is so good .He does zoomies laps flat out throwing his toys in the air and loves digging a good hole and laying in it lol.They are good pets need to be gentle with them.Sorry i got carried away.lol.

#1444723 - 13/12/2017 13:11 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
fraccinstein Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Burrum Heads
My meat ants are now building a dyke , something which they have not done since oswald came in,would be good to talk to their forecasters.

#1444734 - 13/12/2017 14:56 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: bundybear]
Kazz63 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingaroy
Originally Posted By: bundybear

Being calm makes no difference. She will still destroy the house.

She is also having other behavior issues. Attacking the other dogs for no reason except they are on the veranda, beside me, in the yard. Where once she loved it when the house filled with the kids now she hides.

Yep, she's getting older. I had one like that. In a way I'd describe it as a form of canine Alzheimer's. Anything scares them & a lot is because she can't remember & is totally confused - hence her apparent mood changes.
I couldn't bring myself to put her down just for that; eventually when other things happened it was time for her to wander over the bridge though.
Anti histamines worked on a large dog I had but I would not try them on a small breed without vet advice.

Wind the clock to the present day; my Cavoodle runs out and stands in the middle of the storm barking into the sky! Pain in the bum when you have to get her in; door wide open in a storm; soggy doggy bouncing around, lol. From one extreme to the other!
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

#1444766 - 13/12/2017 18:56 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Doug Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Eviron, NSW
I had a dog with a similar phobia regarding storms. What happens to 4 legged animals if they are standing on a conductive surface eg. concrete, soil etc., is that if there is a nearby CG then they get an electrical shock. The strike point could be hundreds of meters away, but because the voltage drop is logrithmically decreasing over distance the voltage between the front and rear legs can be enough to cause a shock, and in the case of a horse I had, even death.

We breed Standard Poodles and they are crate trained. The crates are metal framed with bedding inside. The dogs are crated for meals and are happy in them. I suggest all dog owners teach them that the crate is their "Happy Place" and then when a storm approaches they can be in a place where they can't be hurt by electricity and also not run away or do damage.

#1444771 - 13/12/2017 21:18 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Doug]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Doug

We breed Standard Poodles and they are crate trained. The crates are metal framed with bedding inside. The dogs are crated for meals and are happy in them. I suggest all dog owners teach them that the crate is their "Happy Place" and then when a storm approaches they can be in a place where they can't be hurt by electricity and also not run away or do damage.

She is crate trained. In fact she chooses to get in it and snarls at the young dog if it even thinks of walking within 3 feet of it.

UNTIL a storm. Then she turns into a rabid critter and will try to chew and scratch her way out of the metal bars. I stopped putting her in there for a storm because she was only going to injure herself.

I have tried pretty much everything with this dog. Even pheremone sprays. I have never in over 30 years of owning and breeding cattle dogs had one like this. Never considered putting one down for behaviours. All our dogs bar one snake bit one have died of old age at home.

I am sure she has some sort of doggy dementia.

Edited by bundybear (13/12/2017 21:21)

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13

Who's Online
11 registered (Ronfishes, Sidney, ashestoashes, Perfect Storm, Stormy3, aussiestormfreak, TindraTim, Weather_Viewer, betsuin, 2 invisible), 265 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Jade, STORM CAZ, StormChasinJason, ^Lem^
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23760 Topics
1472326 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image