Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1447334 - 05/01/2018 01:36 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Kino]
Wave Rider Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Originally Posted By: Kino
Driving somewhere that actually gets storms frown

I'll drink to that comment LOL

#1447335 - 05/01/2018 01:52 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Nature's Fury]
Wave Rider Offline

Originally Posted By: Nature's Fury
SE QLD/NE NSW is the thunderstorm capital of Australia (although they might change in future decades...). As a storm enthusiast I'm very lucky to be here.

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole....but facts are Darwin and Top End gets nearly 3x the number of storms you guys get. Now, severity wise, there may be an argument, but purely numbers wise they kill you.

I meant in terms of severe thunderstorms.

What are southerly changes like for you down there? Can they also bring serious action like up here?

I live in the Gong too, and yes sometimes they can bring some decent action.

But the problem with them 9 times out 10 is that they stabilise the atmosphere by cooling the lower levels, while the upper levels remain warm. The shallow changes are the worst because they undercut warm W/NW winds on the escarpment and create an inversion.

Southerlies can be very good if there is an upper cold pool, good steering winds or it is a particularly warm and humid change.

So overall southerly changes are usually regarded as a curse for the storm activity here, but I have seen a few fantastic storms from these kind of setups.

#1447336 - 05/01/2018 01:58 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Wave Rider]
Nature's Fury Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane Western Suburbs
Originally Posted By: Wave Rider
SE QLD/NE NSW is the thunderstorm capital of Australia (although they might change in future decades...). As a storm enthusiast I'm very lucky to be here.

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole....but facts are Darwin and Top End gets nearly 3x the number of storms you guys get. Now, severity wise, there may be an argument, but purely numbers wise they kill you.

I meant in terms of severe thunderstorms.

What are southerly changes like for you down there? Can they also bring serious action like up here?

I live in the Gong too, and yes sometimes they can bring some decent action.

But the problem with them 9 times out 10 is that they stabilise the atmosphere by cooling the lower levels, while the upper levels remain warm. The shallow changes are the worst because they undercut warm W/NW winds on the escarpment and create an inversion.

Southerlies can be very good if there is an upper cold pool, good steering winds or it is a particularly warm and humid change.

So overall southerly changes are usually regarded as a curse for the storm activity here, but I have seen a few fantastic storms from these kind of setups.

Unfortunately the same often happens here in SEQ forcing action inland. We've been lucky this season either with good timing or a shallow change that strengthens during the afternoon (which doesn't inhibit storm formation).

#1447438 - 05/01/2018 17:50 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Nature's Fury]
Steve O Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Beenleigh, QLD
The dreaded coastal cap can be sure to dissapoint many areas. I have read that for a good storm day you need abit of a low level or mid level inversion keeping storm activity from firing before max temps can be reached.

Edited by Steve O (05/01/2018 17:52)

#1448321 - 10/01/2018 22:36 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Nature's Fury]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
Good topic.

The 'recent' memory of most severe wind in a TS for many will be the Gap storm of 16 Nov 2008.... Though that is nearly ten years ago now.

For me that event was remarkable not just for the Sunday storm that smashed the gap, but repeat storms in days afterwards, culminating on the 19th Nov 2008 at about 11pm, when it appeared that a small low pressure cell formed west of Ipswich. Caused flooding around Marburg and in Brisbane river sufficient for BOM to write a report on it. Check it out on this radar archives loop at link below.

http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR662-brisbane/2008-11-16-04/2008-11-20-23

P.S. Must say what weather chaser website has done to archive bom radar is an awesome resource

#1448378 - 11/01/2018 16:00 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Flowin]
Nature's Fury Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane Western Suburbs
Originally Posted By: Flowin
Good topic.

The 'recent' memory of most severe wind in a TS for many will be the Gap storm of 16 Nov 2008.... Though that is nearly ten years ago now.

For me that event was remarkable not just for the Sunday storm that smashed the gap, but repeat storms in days afterwards, culminating on the 19th Nov 2008 at about 11pm, when it appeared that a small low pressure cell formed west of Ipswich. Caused flooding around Marburg and in Brisbane river sufficient for BOM to write a report on it. Check it out on this radar archives loop at link below.

http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR662-brisbane/2008-11-16-04/2008-11-20-23

P.S. Must say what weather chaser website has done to archive bom radar is an awesome resource

Really was a great week. That storm that hit a few days after the Gap storm had a massive gust front but unlike many it had plenty of bite with the bark. Big power outages, huge winds, etc. That low pressure system that formed west of Ipswich caused a whole night of rain and the radar was almost entirely covered with heavy rain signatures. Was a stunning week.

#1473114 - 12/10/2018 03:25 Re: Ideal set-ups for severe storms to hit your location [Re: Nature's Fury]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
I've said this in the past but support in the mid and upper levels instead of the stupid quidge. That is what splits the last few days from all the other days where nothing eventuates along the coast say north of the Sunny Coast imo. Too often we don't get the support in the mids/uppers and instead we're stuck too close or under the mid-upper level variant of the quidge which usually translates to rubbish shear, hot days and strong seabreezes which leads to an often unbreakable cap. So many factors to overcome and on such days it's no wonder storms often die before reaching the coast without the aid of any real trigger like a surface trough or southerly change.

Now of course I'm only talking about my location here, obviously it's different for Brisbane / GC as they less often have to compete with all of those factors but I do think it still applies to them occasionally as well, just not as often.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 72 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Clayton
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24026 Topics
1506311 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image