Page 20 of 20 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20
Topic Options
#1471141 - Yesterday at 20:52 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
smile

#1471142 - Yesterday at 20:52 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: scott12
Originally Posted By: marakai
Originally Posted By: scott12
Mate you are just jealous of my long blonde locks.... grin

Go and look at a photo of yourself 25 years ago, Dean, and then take a look in the mirror....I'll even buy you a beer to cry in.. poke

Marchies were starting to get a bit fierce yesterday...we were all getting a bit grumpy and annoyed...no doubt more will hatch out today..

Quite jealous of your travels there Scott12, never even had a passport myself but have seen nearly every nook and cranny of Aus itself. And still have a lot more to explore, but I doubt I will ever see it all.
If I ever did have the urge to leave Aus. I'd be heading off to the pre Inca areas of South America. So many mystery's so little time.

Yeah mate, although I had backpacked around Se Asia and a bit of Europe till I got bored ,it was a childhood dream to want to follow the Amazon from the Andes down into the middle of the jungle..

I thought it wouldn't be too hard to get a flight to Los Angeles and hoof it overland from there ..I was mistaken as it ended up taking me the best part of a year to get through Mexico and Central America but at least I did get to see all the Mayan ruins of Teotihuacan, Tikal, Copan, Palenque and other more obscure sites thanks to hooking up with a chick that was studying Archaeology..I wondr how many people know that the biggest pyramid in the world is actually in Mexico and not in Egypt...?

It was a bit dodgy to get into from Panama around the Darien Gap through Columbia as it was around the time of Pablo's death and checkpoints armed with men with assault rifles were everywhere..Ecudor was the same ..but in Peru we got to visit the pre inca sites around Trujillo and chiclaya ..Damned if I know how they existed in such arid conditions...strange also that some of the upper social classes used to strap a board to their childrens forehead to change the shape of the skull.

But the highlight of that year was taking supply boats down the amazon sometimes into villages that hadn't before seen a white dude with blonde hair before...rather weird to have young and old women coming up giggling and wanting to touch and play with my hair...we travelled around 1500 kms in one period where we only saw one other white person who was on missionary service...

I still love the Inca stuff though and a trip to Matchu pitchu was spectacular and mind blowing to think that someone actually proposed to build a city on the top of a mega steep mountaintop like that........

Gosh that was painfull for a bit there

Jeeze Mate, you look like a cee eye aye operative there lol . Must have been a hell of an adventure. That Cholula Pyramid is huge, such a shame the Spanish planted a church on top of it though. I'm fascinated by the very early megalithic stone work found at places in South America such as the polygonal bloc walls that are found at Cusco and Sacsayhuaman. How were they built??? They are clearly far older than the Inca work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9J_ivMwTxc

Edited by marakai (Yesterday at 20:54)

#1471145 - Yesterday at 21:26 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Having internet trouble Marakai??

#1471146 - Yesterday at 21:31 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: cold@28]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: cold@28

Not at the Moment C@28 smile just couldn't bear that extra wide version WZ pages any longer is all.

Edited by marakai (Yesterday at 21:33)

#1471155 - Yesterday at 23:13 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: marakai]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe

Not at the Moment C@28 smile just couldn't bear that extra wide version WZ pages any longer is all.

Thank you, I am so glad you did that. It was tough on a 13 inch screen.

#1471157 - Today at 02:01 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Lol M8, Scott messed that whole page up there with the pic huh ? Interesting as hell though for me at least.
Just wanted to skip the wide screen version is all so skipped to the next page with multiple Smile posts to get to the next page.

#1471158 - Today at 02:13 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yay it's actually trying to ran here right know, had a heap up on the mountains earlier today but there is actual rain here right now. smile

#1471159 - Today at 04:46 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
dormant Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: near ferry, FNQ
Marakai, in a more modern and small way that reminds me of the stones facing the Smithfield Bunnings, holding up the bank of the roundabout. At the time I wondered if they were pinned in any way, or mortared. I missed the time it was being built so it could be a concrete retaining wall behind it which would mean they're entirely decorative, but even so, they've not shifted at all. Ermm now I've contributed to OT, sorry all.

#1471162 - Today at 08:21 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
Simmo FNQ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mareeba
0.4mm overnight. Would be nice if an actual proper shower made it. Pretty much completely blue skies now apart from on the horizon towards the coast round to Atherton

2017: 898.4mm
2016: 491.4mm
2015: 826.2mm

#1471164 - Today at 09:03 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: marakai]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ

Fixed. wink

#1471165 - Today at 09:13 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: maadi Tully area
Yeah thanks for putting that page out of its misery Marakai.. grin and thanks RD...its a bugga of a forum to post photos on for a doofus like me..

I see a trip to Cuzco in your future Marakai...much of the newer Spanish built Municipal buildings and churchs were built from stone pirated from the nearby ruins....the good old Spanish doing what they did best....plundering the works of the ancients..in that case though they left only the larger stones that were to difficult to move and work with...

The city itself is a real conglomeration of stonework built through different periods over the last 1000 years ..sometimes in the same building where newer stuff is built on the foundations of old..

When you really look and think about some of those ancient ruins its mild-blowing to try and understand the craftmanship and patience that went into shaping and fitting it all together so intricately...

Tikal and Copan in Central America might be around twice the age of the ruins around Cuzco though...at least when they were first settled/started....and some of the sculptures and carvings in those places are even more amazing...the buildings/pyramids seem to be much more symmetrical and "proper" to my linear thinking mind.... and who cant be impressed by ritual human sacrifice and soccer like games for the masses where the losers might also have been put to death...

Anyway weather report for today is windy and warm with a high probability of march flies...

Edited by scott12 (Today at 09:23)

#1471181 - Today at 14:35 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
WANDJINA G'vale Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale - Qld
4.5mm overnight - Gordonvale

Daisey Bates - The passing of the aborigines.

Page 20 of 20 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20

Who's Online
4 registered (Eigerwand, Homer, Kino, mkeene(pingtang)), 67 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
CraigA74, Ken, Maarten Brandt, wing tip vortex
Forum Stats
29654 Members
32 Forums
23962 Topics
1497862 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image