Topic Options
#86144 - 29/03/2003 22:16 Strange lights and colours seen in Brisbane night sky
KathieL Offline

Loc: Brisbane
Hello,
I am an amateur at all this and was wondering if anyone has any idea why I saw red and green flickering lights on stars in the North Brisbane sky tonight. My family had just come out of a restaurant and were astonished to see all the stars flashing mostly pinky-red and a little green. When we got home (12 kms away) they could still be seen, but only faintly. Any ideas?? My kids and I would love to know what caused it.
Thanks, KathieL

#86145 - 29/03/2003 22:37 Re: Strange lights and colours seen in Brisbane night sky
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Hello Kathie,welcome to the forum.

All of these lights and colours that you saw sound quite interesting.There could be a number of reasons,as to why this has happened.Im not really sure whats going on,but I would guess its something to do with solar explosions.I remember seeing an artical about this in the daily telegraph.There was also a pic looking at the earth from way up,and you could see a green glow around the earth.Now im not sure if this related to what your seeing,but thats my guess anyway.Im probrably completly wrong.

Once again,welcome to the forum.I hope you enjoy it here. smile

#86146 - 29/03/2003 22:44 Re: Strange lights and colours seen in Brisbane night sky
David Findlay Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Woody Point, Qld
Quote:
Originally posted by KathieL:
Hello,
I am an amateur at all this and was wondering if anyone has any idea why I saw red and green flickering lights on stars in the North Brisbane sky tonight. My family had just come out of a restaurant and were astonished to see all the stars flashing mostly pinky-red and a little green. When we got home (12 kms away) they could still be seen, but only faintly. Any ideas?? My kids and I would love to know what caused it.
Thanks, KathieL
I'd say it's likely caused by smoke or haze. I'm on the northside, and saw nothing like that. Thanks,

David

#86147 - 29/03/2003 22:52 Re: Strange lights and colours seen in Brisbane night sky
pingtang Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Nowra, NSW
Yeah,thats one thing I forgot to mention.Smoke could be the reason.

#86148 - 29/03/2003 22:57 Re: Strange lights and colours seen in Brisbane night sky
David Findlay Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Woody Point, Qld
Quote:
Originally posted by KathieL:
Hello,
Thanks, KathieL
BTW, could even have been your eyes. Certain artificial lighting can affect your nightvision for a time after you go outside into the dark. That's why astronomers often try to avoid bright light for 6 or more hours before going out for a night's observing. Thanks,

David

Who's Online
9 registered (dcon, Dr Philosophy, Max Record, Macca-wx, pabloako, Mezo, 3 invisible), 97 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
andyfish67, Flicky, lil_missy, Moss, Rhino
Forum Stats
28077 Members
32 Forums
22608 Topics
1315870 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image